Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post Draft Thoughts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Post Draft Thoughts Reply with quote

So what are everyone's initial thoughts on our picks? I think most of us thought the draft would be more defense-centric, and it was the opposite, with 6 of our 9 picks on the offensive side.

I love what the trio of Davis, Taylor, and Smith mean to Mariota and the offense. Suddenly we have some vertical prowess to open up the run game. The Titans had the 3rd highest run ratio last season at 47.22%... but I suspect that number goes down even more this season, and we'll get closer to the league mean... somewhere around 40%.

I want to love Jackson, and I had mocked him to us, but in the 2nd. I've stated numerous times that our perception does not = reality or actual rankings, but I have hard time seeing him as a better prospect than White. Unfortunately, this is one of those comparisons I'll be looking at for a few years. Say Jackson never becomes more than just an average Nickel, but is a consistent Pro Bowl returner, will you guys see the pick as a bust?

I think Brown has a chance to make the roster, but I'm not sure about the rest of the guys... not because I don't think they're good or anything, but we have a deeper roster now, and they may be destined for the PS. That's a good sign though. Muhammad could make it, based on his unique skill set when compared to the rest of the roster, and the complete lack of proven guys behind Murray and Henry.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on last year's opening day roster allocations, this is my early look at the depth chart

QB - Mariota, Cassell

Again, we go with only 2 QBs. We definitely carry another on the PS, Tanney will have competition this summer.

RB - Murray, Henry, Muhammad, Fowler (FB)

Fluellen is the only other back on the roster. This may be an area we're not done adding. Muhammad's ability on the return teams gives him an edge. Fowler played 190 offensive snaps last season. I'd be interested how much of an impact he had on the run game, but could he be expendable? And if yes, for a 4th RB, or for a whole 'nother position?

WR - Matthews, Davis, Taylor, Sharpe, Douglas, Weems

Staying with 6, just like last year. I think they keep Douglas as veteran security in case the rookies don't transition as quickly as we hope and for injuries... but will likely be the weekly inactive barring those injuries. I almost pushed Weems off the roster, as he's now the 3rd returner on the depth chart. But with Andrews' STs snaps off the roster, we need someone else who can fill in there, giving him the slight edge over McBride.

TE - Walker, Smith, Supernaw

The top 2 are locks. I think Supernaw is also pretty safe because of his role on STs role and his likely role as the "blocking" TE (3 TE goal line formations, etc). Amaro could be the last player on the roster, but I'll keep him off for now. His chance is that Smith is coming from a small school and may have a steep learning curve coming in. If he's not able to beat Smith out in receiving packages, there's really not much sense keeping him as a "4th/inactive" TE.

OL - Lewan, Conklin, Spain, Kline, Jones, Kelly, Lelito, Tretola, Levin

Lelito is the new Schwenke, probably the top back up for all 3 positions. Kline will be in a competition with Tretola and Levin, but I think he holds them off. Levin could play C as well, so he should be able to beat Matias as the 9th OL (weekly inactive), but if the team is not comfortable with Lelito and Levin at C, Matias will push Tretola or Levin off.

OFFENSE - 24

DL - Casey, Williams, Jones, Klug, Johnson, Blackson

I think the first 5 are "safe", and Blackson will be going up against Woods and Abdesmad for the final spot here. There's a lot of versatility in this group, and it remains a strength. Williams is still a questionable pick up, and he may play more of an end position than NT, so that may give Woods an inside over Blackson, although I think Blackson could play the Nose as well. Like I said, this is a good and deep group.

OLB - Orakpo, Morgan, Dodd, Wallace

If Dodd's injury lingers, it will force us to carry a 5th OLB, but this is a player that we'll acquire later, as I'm not convinced he's not on the roster yet. For now, I'll keep us at 4, leaving the extra roster spot for another position, just not sure where right now.

ILB - Williamson, Woodyard, Bates, Palmer, Brown

Bates and Palmer are both expected to be key pieces to our STs units next year, so they're pretty safe. Brown would be the weekly inactive from the group. I think he's pretty safe for now, but as mentioned above, Dodd's injury could have an impact here.

CB - Ryan, Sims, Jackson, McCain, Reed

I don't think Reed is safe. But if he's beaten out, I think that someone is probably not currently on the roster. I still wish we would have gone for a mid tier FA or doubled up in the 3rd or 4th (had we kept it) with another CB. We look pretty decent 1-4 though, but leaves us with very little wiggle room to account for injuries or a player not being ready for an increased role (Sims and/or Jackson)

S - Byard, Cyprien, Searcy, Trawick, Riley

Probably our weakest position group. If Searcy turns it around, we may be ok (just ok). JRob says he sees Trawick with a role on D and not just STs, but he's more of a SS I think. Riley made it last year as the CB/S hybrid, and I think he keeps that role for now, but I think this is another position we keep our eyes open for. Again, not targetting a safety in the draft leaves me scratching my head.

DEFENSE - 25

STs - Kern, Succoup, Brinkley

No explanation needed here.

TOTAL ROSTER - 52

That leaves a spot open. While this is the last spot in and a weekly inactive spot, and the one that fluctuates throughout the season to account for injuries, we need one to start the season. We could see a:

-5th OLB. Dodd may force our hand. If we go this route, I don't think he's currently on the roster.

- 7th DL. Woods and Blackson could both make it. This would make our strength even deeper. If Dodd is ready to start the season, this is the most likely spot, IMO... if only based on our option there.

11th DB. If Cyprien is expected to essentially play a LB role in certain subpackages, we could get another true safety. The secondary looks ok on paper, but there are a lot of question marks here, definitely our most volatile and unpredictable position going into camp.

4th TE. Not likely, but maybe Smith's not ready to start the season in a key role, but they don't want to expose him to the PS, so they keep the 4

- 3rd QB. Not likely.

- 5th RB. Also not likely.

- 7th WR. Not likely, although maybe more likely than a 5th RB.

-10th OL. Likely, but improbable. Usually only 8 OL are carried on the active roster barring any injury concerns.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a B. Really happy with the first 3 offensive selections.

Swap Jackson with TreDavious White and it's an A+. I thought White was a 1st rounder last year and loved him this year. I think Jackson is a late second rounder in terms of coverage ability. Footwork is atrocious. Techinique is awful. Possibly limited to the slot. I really hope I'm wrong, but I just dont see it right now.

Love Davis. Can really get behind Taylor and giving Mariota pro ready options. I like Smith and his chances of translating to the next level.

To me, it almost feels like we didnt have 2 firsts. We had a first and a second like normal because I see Jackson as 2nd rounder.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st(5) - Corey Davis A+ - The top WR easily and calling it a reach is laughable especially when the other two top WRs went within the next 4 picks. I was shocked at the pick because I didn't actually think they'd take him but I guess it shows how much the whole combine and workouts truly matter. He was dominant on film and that's all that mattered.

1st(1Cool - Adoree Jackson B+ - Slight reach to me but it was obvious the goal was to fill our top 2 needs with the first 2 picks and Robinson did it. The only CB available that was actually a better prospect to me was Conley and monbody knew how his situation would turn out. Wasn't that high on White and Jackson adds another dimension that White can't even touch. White is likely more developed as a CB at this stage but Adoree's ceiling is far higher. Elite level athlete with big time return ability. Took 6 months every year in college working on track and never developed full time as a CB. Assuming we have decent coaches, I think Adoree can develop into a special talent.

3rd(72) - Taywan Taylor A - Fills our slot WR need. Also likely puts Sharpe on the bench and gets Harry cut eventually. Highlights are electric but he does remind me a Kendall Wright to an extent. Hopefully he has his head on right and buys in unlike Wright did.

3rd(100) - Jonnu Smith C+ - I don't hate it but I just felt there were better targets available especially at TE. I wouldn't trust a kid coming out of FIU to play such a pivotal role as #2 TE. However, maybe the offense opens up more and the #2 TE gets way less snaps this season. He does have some nice traits and is a willing blocker. Hopefully Mularkey and company can develop him into a future starter.

5th(155) - Jayon Brown B+ - I like the pick a lot. He'll help innpass coverage and a great deal on special teams. Improving the special teams was key and I think this pick will have a big role there.

6th(217) - Corey Levin D - Didn't think we needed to touch the OL at all in this draft. It was arguably our strongest unit last season and yes it isn't perfect but adding late round rookies to be does nothing. Lelito was brought in to replace Schwenke and compete at RG. Tretola likely competes at RG as well. Maybe Levin proves more than Tretola but I just thought we could've addressed the secondary with these OL picks.

7th (227) - Josh Caraway B+ - Needed OLB depth and I think we added to it. Needs to get stronger but he has some good traits to work with. Wouldn't be surprised if he makes it over Dodd.

7th(236) - Brad Seaton D - Same as the Levin pick. Doubt he's beating Kelly for the swing OT job. Could've addressed secondary more.

7th(241) - Khalfani Muhammad B - I knew a RB was coming soon and I figured a change of pace would be it. If he develops into a speedy little gadget back who can play special teams, perfect.

Overall I'd give the draft a solid B. Last year was about fixing the trenches and getting more physical. This draft was clearly about getting more explosive. Davis adds a potential #1 threat, Adoree is an elite athlete, Taylor is a quick explosive weapon in the slot and even Smith is a damn good athlete. I think the team got more talented(obviously), biggest needs were targeted and filled, and overall the team became more explosive.

Adopt-A-Titan:
Avery Williamson
Justin615$

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to do a big long post but honestly ttitansfan4life nailed everything i was going to say. I'd give the draft a B+ or A- as of right now.

2017 Adopt-A-Titan
1. Adoree Jackson : 0 TKLS, 0 INTS, 0 SACKS
2. Ryan Succop : 0 FGM, 0 FGA, 0 LONG
OwNaGe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the picks. I am thrilled we are giving Mariota the tools to succeed in the NFL (good protection, and now weapons).

Is Taywon Taylor going to play slot?

I like the adoree Jackson pick but the only concern I have with him is the "master of none" issue I have with people who play WR, CB, Punt and kick return. He needs to work on being a corner back.

I think the Josh Caraway pick was incredible. I think he's a steal, just needs to get bigger/stronger. he has a nose for the ball.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate grading drafts but I'll say that this is one of my favorite drafts that I can recall us ever having. Big fan of this class.

My only gripe is not picking a DB with one our later picks that we used on an OL.

#MTGA
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the off season as a whole. Because we addressed everything we needed too.
I know the choices and manner we did doesn't please everyone but I like we had a clear and concise plan and we executed it.

The draft I like it alot.
Love the first four picks.
Corey Davis was the best WR in the draft.
Jackson was graded as 1st round pick by many teams and pundits even if we didn't see him as that. His return ability is greater than White and his ceiling is higher. White may have the better start but Jackson to me has the potential to be better. So with the pick we took a risk instead of the "more sure" thing that some critized us of last year.
Taylor has the potential to be everything and more that Wright was supposed to be.

We needed some weapons in this draft and we went and got some.

Last year our "best DB" kind of really was McCain. He was the most consistent. Over Cox Mccourty and Blake.
Now we upgraded with Ryan Jackson and an more experienced Sims.

Smith is an explosion TE. If he can be serviceable as a blocker he is already better than Supernaw.

Davis makes it were Sharpe is in a more suitable role. 3-4th WR.
Matthews more of a #2 now who flashes #1 at times.

This draft really balances us out on offense. Upgrades us from terrible pass defense to at least average. When average last year would have won us at least 2 more games.
Upgrades our special teams unit that cost us at least 2 games last year.

Can't wait to see this team play
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwNaGe wrote:
Is Taywon Taylor going to play slot?

I like the adoree Jackson pick but the only concern I have with him is the "master of none" issue I have with people who play WR, CB, Punt and kick return. He needs to work on being a corner back.

I think that's the plan with Taylor. He may play second fiddle in the slot to start the season, but I think or hope the plan is for him to take over as the "A" option from the slot sometime during the season.

I don't hate the Jackson pick, but he's going to need a lot of work. I could see a rollercoaster rookie season from him, kinda what he had at USC last year... 5 picks while giving up 5 TDs... and producing a couple of TDs himself (PR or of the pick-6 variety). If they can fix his technique issues, he has the potential to be a very good CB... but that's a tall task at this point.

TitanSlim wrote:
My only gripe is not picking a DB with one our later picks that we used on an OL.

I wholeheartedly agree. As I put the immediate depth chart together, I left us with Reed, Riley, and Trawick as our 8th, 9th, and 10th DBs. I'm just not comfortable with that.

I hated seeing Marquez White going a pick ahead of us in the 6th... think he could have been a potential upgrade to Reed or Riley. There were a couple of FS's that went earlier in the 6th. I would have preferred we use our 7th to move up in the 6th in search of some secondary help... instead of trading down... but it's also not a given they would have beaten our guys out. I'd like to see more/better competition for those last couple secondary spots. Hope we're not done adding.

KingTitan wrote:
This draft really balances us out on offense. Upgrades us from terrible pass defense to at least average. When average last year would have won us at least 2 more games.
Upgrades our special teams unit that cost us at least 2 games last year.

Can't wait to see this team play

I think this is pretty accurate... and could leave us looking a lot like the Raiders last year... with a lot of games with both teams scoring in the 30s. It should be fun though, and our offense really has the potential to keep up with just about anyone else in the NFL.

I still think our pass defense will be our weak spot, and could get us into a more than a couple of shootouts this year. I think our offense is more than capable of stepping up though.
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, overall, I'm happy with the draft. We needed to add some explosive players to this team, and we did that in Davis/Taylor/Jackson (even if Jackson doesn't become a CB1 caliber player).

Would've loved to see us draft a safety on Day 3...pretty disappointed that we didn't.

If Byard and Sims make leaps, though, we are in pretty good shape. Sims played pretty well last year and I think deserves a little more love/optimism than he's being given. I understand our CB room leaves a little to be desired, but I'm excited to see Sims continue to grow and the dimension that Jackson can bring to the D.

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
VY

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deeluxx3 wrote:
Sims played pretty well last year and I think deserves a little more love/optimism than he's being given. I understand our CB room leaves a little to be desired, but I'm excited to see Sims continue to grow and the dimension that Jackson can bring to the D.

He definitely showed reasons for optimism. Most likely he'll get thrown into the deep end this year, so we'll see what we have.

But I was at the Chiefs game last season, and he really stood out that game. The conditions certainly didn't make for a heavy passing game. Alex Smith is a bottom half of the league QB, but still he's a smart QB that Sims bated into a huge, momentum-shifting INT. If he continues to develop that savvy he'll be around for awhile.
edro

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to have seen us take an ILB or Pass Rusher instead of the TE @ 100. Always need LB talent in 3-4 defenses. Maybe there was none within reason. Morgan & Orakpo are getting older, BO has an injury past. Dodd has health concerns and doesn't really seem like a pass rusher in my eyes. Maybe I'm wrong. We let Sean Spence go, right? Where's the ILB Hit power and sure-tackling? Woodyard is nearing retirement. I like the JSmith pick, but I think he's more coverage or pass rusher than tackler/runstopper.

IMO Jim Harbaugh put together one of the best 3-4 Defenses in recent history with the 49ers a few years back. Aldon Smith and Pat Willis were the guns and butter of that defense. Where's ours?

I thought the TE's we had were sufficient. Exotic Smashmouth requires TE's that can block. Not flashy vertical threats. Losing Fasano & Stevens hurts the run game. Can Jonnu runblock or is he more flash? I don't know. I see people crap on Supernaw but I thought he was a solid runblocker. Not sure. Ask yourself are Jonnu's 25 receptions this year really going to tip the scale? Doubtful. I see success on offense as leaning on the run game and letting MM pass on Play Action.

I don't think most teams, with the transition to a heavy passing league, are able to consistently stop the run. We should attack this weakness relentlessly.

The long-term concern with building a team is not digging yourself a grave with the salary cap. I trust J-Rob building this team.

Let me ask, did Houston just draft Vince Young 2.0?
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VY wrote:
deeluxx3 wrote:
Sims played pretty well last year and I think deserves a little more love/optimism than he's being given. I understand our CB room leaves a little to be desired, but I'm excited to see Sims continue to grow and the dimension that Jackson can bring to the D.

He definitely showed reasons for optimism. Most likely he'll get thrown into the deep end this year, so we'll see what we have.

But I was at the Chiefs game last season, and he really stood out that game. The conditions certainly didn't make for a heavy passing game. Alex Smith is a bottom half of the league QB, but still he's a smart QB that Sims bated into a huge, momentum-shifting INT. If he continues to develop that savvy he'll be around for awhile.

This is 100% me trying to be optimistic and trying to convince myself of something that's just untrue, but "bums" don't make plays like that...especially as a rookie against a team like the KC Chiefs and a smart QB like Alex Smith.

Sims is my new McCourty. I had a feeling about McCourty being a stud when everyone else was on the Ryan Mouton train. Sims is going to be a good player for us for hopefully a long time

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also it's now been two drafts for the Robinson/Mularkey duo and they have yet to add a player with character concerns or a troubled history. I think it's safe to assume that those players are completely off the board or it'll be extremely rare if he takes one of those players. Also, I wouldn't count Jonnu Smith's boiling water incident apart of that.

Adopt-A-Titan:
Avery Williamson
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
Also it's now been two drafts for the Robinson/Mularkey duo and they have yet to add a player with character concerns or a troubled history. I think it's safe to assume that those players are completely off the board or it'll be extremely rare if he takes one of those players. Also, I wouldn't count Jonnu Smith's boiling water incident apart of that.

Yeah I think they are at least waiting until they feel that they have established a solid locker room culture.

Sig by Smack
Adopt-A-Titan: 1) Corey Davis 2) Tre McBride
NFL: Titans // NBA: Cavaliers // NHL: Blue Jackets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: