Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 7.12 (230) S Josh Harvey-Clemons, Louisville
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: 2017 7.12 (230) S Josh Harvey-Clemons, Louisville Reply with quote

Woz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(for more information on my aggregate list see: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21502742#21502742 )

7.12 (230): Josh Harvey-Clemons, S from Louisville, 115th overall with 232.7 aggregate (41.56 std. dev; CBS = 289, DT = 219, NFL.com = 190), 34th best available at time of pick

When you get down to the seventh round, realistically you should be selecting guys for upside and for best available regardless of position, with maybe a preference for a special teams guy. Also, you should be willing to take chances on guys who may not have the cleanest background.

Still, a guy with three drug test failures in college and gets booted from Georgia? Umm ... okay?

The two things that stick out to me from his profile:
The good:
NFL.com profile on Harvey-Clemons wrote:
NFL Comparison Kam Chancellor
Bottom Line Former five-star recruit with an alpha mentality who roams the field with swagger and undeniable intent as a tackler. Has elite size, length and athletic traits, and is a rangy tackler with the ability to cover and blitz.

and the bad:
Quote:
Sources Tell Us "I love the athlete and the toughness, but he's a multiple-time (drug) tester on the college level. Those guys have a high rate of testing positive again. I need to do more background work on him but I really worry about suspensions for him." -- AFC North area scout
Bottom Line
... He could be considered by teams as a box safety or hybrid linebacker.

So, did we just draft a pot smoking version of Su'a Cravens in hopes he becomes Chancellor? Eh, why not? If he puffs his way out, oh well.

Options I think would have been better: Elijah Lee or even better Connor Harris.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruden said he expects this guy to play the "dime linebacker position". So essentially is sounds like their plans on 3rd downs is to throw a bunch of strong safeties on the field.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Woz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Gruden said he expects this guy to play the "dime linebacker position". So essentially is sounds like their plans on 3rd downs is to throw a bunch of strong safeties on the field.

Because we got killed in the passing game? This helps ... how? Think
A TRAIN 89

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team's obsession with the "Dime Linebacker" is mind numbing.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My least favorite pick!!! First round of cuts...won't even make the practice squad!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
My least favorite pick!!! First round of cuts...won't even make the practice squad!

*shrugs* It's possible the fact that he ended up as a 7th round pick might humble him and focus his efforts.

It's also possible he brings more weed into a locker room where we've had some issues with that already.

The biggest questions in my mind:
1. Whose locker do they put this guy next to? In other words, who on the defense (or better yet, secondary) takes this guy under his wing?
2. Does he listen to those guys or not?

Because, if he can get his head on straight, he could be an outright demon on the field. If he can't ... well, he'll just be another super talented guy who couldn't cut in the league.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh...
https://youtu.be/NiU4SQkOyno

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to pile on ... but:

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/ds/

Code:
PICK    PLAYER              pSPARQ  z-SCORE NFL%    POSITIONAL RANKING
7.12    Harvey-Clemons       96.7   -2.1     2.0    144th S [DS]

The z-Score is the number of standard deviations from 0.0 (i.e. 50%). The NFL% is probably the one you want to look at (or not). It represents the percentile that the player in question matches up to a standard NFL athlete. In Harvey-Clemons' case, based on his workouts, he is in the 2nd percentile.

For what it's worth:
Code:
PICK    PLAYER              pSPARQ  z-SCORE NFL%    POSITIONAL RANKING
4.17    Nicholson           126.8    0.8    77.8    12th S [SS]

So, we may have drafted a gifted athlete who doesn't want to play the game and a guy who wants to play (when not smoking up) but cannot hang at this level. Yay?
PSID412

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and it's probably a big if he can keep his head straight he may be a special team player.

^ Awesome sig by Mike23md
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with taking a guy with 2nd or 3rd round talent in round 7. It's low risk/high reward. He had the size and skills of chancellor, let's hope he keeps his head on straight, if not, it's just a 7th round pick.

Also, the reason the Redskins have an obsession with finding an answer at "dime ILB" is because the NFL is trying to find better cover guys - especially in nickle situations - that have safety skills but LB size. If Clemons can stay out of trouble he could be a steal and he could be an immediate special teams demon as well.

I love this pick in round 7, I contemplated several times in mocks with taking him in round 4.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Ugh...

This is pretty bad tape!

But I'm struck who has the time or interest to take several seasons of cut ups on a seventh round pick? Just makes me wonder
Jeezy Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the great Mark Richt wants nothing to do with you, neither do I.

Sig by Mike23md

"Don't need the accolades, just need the acknowledgement"
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
Ugh...

This is pretty bad tape!

But I'm struck who has the time or interest to take several seasons of cut ups on a seventh round pick? Just makes me wonder

So, David Lacks-a-life took the time to go through all of the plays where Harvey-Clemons didn't play well, probably not just from last year but in Harvey-Clemons's entire career.

Were these all plays one year?

Were they all last year?

Were they over 2 or 3 years?

Were they when he was a freshman or sophomore?

Just like someone can find a bunch of clips/a highlight reel to make a player look better than what he is, he can do the same to make a player look worse than what he is.

This video is nothing but a smear campaign. Scouts had Harvey-Clemons pegged as a mid round first pick, there's no way he got graded as such by scouts if this is the only tape of him throughout his career. This video is bunch of BS! Twisted Evil

Here's a good break down of Harvey-Clemons. This guy on NFLN says he could be the steal of the 7th round.

https://youtu.be/vJ41a2JLtd8

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marcus21

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
Ugh...

This is pretty bad tape!

So, David Lacks-a-life took the time to go through all of the plays where Harvey-Clemons didn't play well, probably not just from last year but in Harvey-Clemons's entire career.

Were these all plays one year?

Were they all last year?

Were they over 2 or 3 years?

Were they when he was a freshman or sophomore?

Just like someone can find a bunch of clips/a highlight reel to make a player look better than what he is, he can do the same to make a player look worse than what he is.

This video is nothing but a smear campaign. Scouts had Harvey-Clemons pegged as a mid round first pick, there's no way he got graded as such by scouts if this is the only tape of him throughout his career. This video is bunch of BS! Twisted Evil

Here's a good break down of Harvey-Clemons. This guy on NFLN says he could be the steal of the 7th round.

https://youtu.be/vJ41a2JLtd8

He only played two years at Louisville. You are welcome to watch his game tapes... there are a few on YouTube. I am underwhelmed to say the least! He will never play safety in the NFL. Maybe he can play that hybrid dime linebacker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: