Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GB Roster post draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cadmus

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
blueswedeshoes wrote:

Oh Lord. My first online forum debate was whether or not Aaron Kampman was a JAG. As you suggest, the problem is that some people mean an average NFL starter and some people mean a mediocre player that needs immediate replacing.

That is actually an interesting discussion. Depending on when in his career this discussion took place, he was either just a guy, or a formidable defensive end.

To me "just a guy," is a player that can be replaced rather easily with similar talent. A lot of the RBs and ILBs we have run through were just guys: Crockett, Jackson, Barrington.
This is how I view it. Joe Thomas is JAG. Josh Boyd is JAG. A player one year in with potential is not JAG, he's a prospect

I love how you use a guy who had his leg nearly amputated as a JAG. Weird man.

I was going to say the same thing about Boyd. Did anyone else mention that he signed with the Colts today? That's a helluva comeback. I'll be pulling for him to make that 53 man roster.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
blueswedeshoes wrote:

Oh Lord. My first online forum debate was whether or not Aaron Kampman was a JAG. As you suggest, the problem is that some people mean an average NFL starter and some people mean a mediocre player that needs immediate replacing.

That is actually an interesting discussion. Depending on when in his career this discussion took place, he was either just a guy, or a formidable defensive end.

To me "just a guy," is a player that can be replaced rather easily with similar talent. A lot of the RBs and ILBs we have run through were just guys: Crockett, Jackson, Barrington.
This is how I view it. Joe Thomas is JAG. Josh Boyd is JAG. A player one year in with potential is not JAG, he's a prospect

I was going to say the same thing about Boyd. Did anyone else mention that he signed with the Colts today? That's a helluva comeback. I'll be pulling for him to make that 53 man roster.

was going to say the exact same thing when I saw the news earlier but got sidetracked. Hell of a story.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
I don't really think Burnett is going anywhere. I think they want to be able to run 3 S looks/a S at ILB in some packages to get more speed in the middle of the field. You can't do that unless you keep Burnett around or add another higher end player for S.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that the Packers should jettison Burnett prior to the season, but the list of TT-draftees that have received a 3rd contract is two deep: Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
I don't really think Burnett is going anywhere. I think they want to be able to run 3 S looks/a S at ILB in some packages to get more speed in the middle of the field. You can't do that unless you keep Burnett around or add another higher end player for S.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that the Packers should jettison Burnett prior to the season, but the list of TT-draftees that have received a 3rd contract is two deep: Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson.

When Burnett's contract is up he'll be 29 years old. Is this old for an NFL safety?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
spilltray wrote:

And I think it's likely Burnett could be in that Jordy mold of thinking. Leader, playing at a high level, brains and communication skills hugely important, no physical drop in play yet.

There are also other players like Peppers and Woodson he has signed to "3rd" contracts, so I don't see why "Packers drafted" is a distinction. A lot of players either don't last that long or are starting to drop off, so it makes sense most wouldn't be resigned, but I'm not sure I think Burnett fits into either of those categories.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
blueswedeshoes wrote:

What does that have to do with it? He was there, he gave effort, he ate blocks mostly. It sucks, and you feel for the guy, but he wasn't the next Bruce Smith, he was the next CJ Wilson.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
spilltray wrote:

And I think it's likely Burnett could be in that Jordy mold of thinking. Leader, playing at a high level, brains and communication skills hugely important, no physical drop in play yet.

There are also other players like Peppers and Woodson he has signed to "3rd" contracts, so I don't see why "Packers drafted" is a distinction. A lot of players either don't last that long or are starting to drop off, so it makes sense most wouldn't be resigned, but I'm not sure I think Burnett fits into either of those categories.

And that could very well be true. I just see that there is some younger, cheaper talent at the same position, and there will be some big money decisions on the horizon with Rodgers, Matthews, HaHa, Cobb, Nelson, and probably Adams. Maybe some of, or all, of these guys will be gone and there will be plenty of money for other players. But the front office will have to ask themselves if they really need to go 4 or 5 deep at safety or are there better allocations for the cap space?

At this point in time, I fully believe that the 2018 Packers will be able to run whatever 3 safety looks they desire with HaHa-Jones-Brice.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

incognito_man

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
blueswedeshoes wrote:

was going to say the exact same thing when I saw the news earlier but got sidetracked. Hell of a story.

i was like "aaron kampman just signed with the Colts?????"

ahahahha
skibrett15

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common uses of JAG on this forum:

1) Brady Poppinga types. Guys who have long term extended roles and aren't improving and aren't very talented.

2) Unproven Guys who probably won't work out due to low draft position, limited athleticism, or both. Vic So'oto.

3) legitimate NFL starters who aren't superstars who are possibly starting to decline, or hot taeyk guys who aren't playing overly well possibly due to extenuating or injury circumstances. Randall Cobb 2015.

4) Actually very talented players and impactful players whose contributions are not overly obvious. Morgan Burnett, Mike Daniels 2014, etc.

1000011001) An NCIS spin-off about some lawyer who can fly or something.
Chili

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyd was totally a JAG. In his first two years he had zero sacks. Not only that there was also a noticeable drop off in our run defence when he was in. He was completely worthless. I think he would've been cut anyway if he never gotten injured. Someone had to make way when Guion came back from his suspension.

Btw Nelson only got that 3rd contract because he was willing to take less to stay at Green Bay. Do we honestly think Burnett will? I don't and I think this will be his last season with us.

Best case scenario we will have Jones stepping up alongside HaHa, there's also the potential of Randall moving to safety next year if corner doesn't work out for him. I'm skeptical because you need to be tough to play safety and Randall is not so I'm really hoping that he will bounce back and have a career year at corner.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I believe that the Packers will be looking to make large changes to their defensive back group after that awful showing against Atlanta. I think it opened the coaches and front office eyes that we needed to get bigger and more athletic in order to cope with high powered offences. The entire DB group was a mess. Bringing in House and drafting King and Jones was the start. I think what we will see is significant turnover among the backup group of players, especially at cornerback.

Gunter whilst he performed as well as he could I believe is not part of the long term solution to revamp our defensive group. He has the height but he's too slow to play outside and doesn't have the right body type to play inside. He could be a useful backup but ultimately we don't want our backups to be slow either especially for special teams. He's just not the answer and I think there's a good chance he will be gone at final cuts. Addition through subtraction.

Hawkins is the smallest CB on the roster but he is fast. I can see him making the roster based on his speed alone but he doesn't contribute enough on special teams, not even as a K/P returner. Considering we're trying to get bigger I think he will end up getting cut.

Goodson is an important special teamer for us but if he doesn't show he has fully recovered then there's a good chance he's gone.

I am especially curious about Waters. I like his athleticism. He has the size to play outside. He obviously showed well enough that the Packers felt he could contribute on the 53 as a corner when he signed off the practice squad. With question marks hanging over Gunter, Goodson and Hawkins he has a chance of leapfrogging them and grabbing a roster spot.

As for the UDFAs: Rivers, Pipkins, Donatello. Rivers is almost as tall as Gunter but gives up 15 pounds on him however he is quicker.I like Pipkins physicality and onfield personality but he isn't the UDFA I like the most. Donatello is an older player but he has interesting tape. Its hard to explain but he looks like how a corner should look like. Supposedly he ran a 4.37 and a 39" vert which would make him the most athletic UDFA corner.

The wild card is tryout guy Raysean Pringle. I'm actually anticipating him making the roster. He has some good tape as a RB/WR and has good athleticism. Physically he is almost identical to Rollins but is athletically superior. He offers K/P return ability, something that some of the other corners do not have. His transition to corner will be very interesting to watch over camp. Basically whoever wins the starting K/P return gig is guaranteed a roster spot and he has a fantastic chance of this.

I've ranked the height of all our corners. Guess who the shortest 4 guys were.... Goodson, Rollins, Randall and Hawkins. Overall we had a very short group last year (recently cut Makinton Dorleant is shorter than Randall). It's no coincidence that all the new corners we've brought in are bigger than them and that tells alot about what the Packers are thinking/trying to do and its furthers my belief that there will be a major turnover in that position.

Dorleant gone, Gunter, Goodson and Hawkins probably gone. Rollins is on the bubble. House and King in. I am absolutely convinced we will see a brand new group of cornerbacks this year. Last year we kept 6 corners (not including Hyde). This year I feel there are three locks: King, Randall and House. The other three spots couid be anyone but I'm leaning towards the bigger guys taking those spots.

What do you guys think? do you share my belief that there will be a drastic overhaul to our CB group? Shocked

Last edited by Chili on Sat May 13, 2017 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
TransientTexan

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is that contracts are awarded by how a player is projected to play in the future instead of what he has done in the past. Outside of a couple exceptions, most of the 3rd-contract guys the Packers have signed are playing for peanuts. If Burnett is ok with that, they might offer him a deal, but if not, I'd guess they let him walk and get a comp pick. Especially if there's a cheap in-house guy that can provide 80% of what a 29+ yr old Burnett can. That's the key.

I figure some struggling team w/ lots of cap space will offer almost as much as he is getting now to bring him in as a good vet presence (like Cleveland with TWill).
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
blueswedeshoes wrote:

I used his name cause he was in the news having signed with the Colts so his name was fresh. His injury had nothing to do with the fact he was JAG with us..

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
blueswedeshoes wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
I don't hunt
So I gathered.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili wrote:
Boyd was totally a JAG. In his first two years he had zero sacks. Not only that there was also a noticeable drop off in our run defence when he was in. He was completely worthless. I think he would've been cut anyway if he never gotten injured. Someone had to make way when Guion came back from his suspension.

Btw Nelson only got that 3rd contract because he was willing to take less to stay at Green Bay. Do we honestly think Burnett will? I don't and I think this will be his last season with us.

Best case scenario we will have Jones stepping up alongside HaHa, there's also the potential of Randall moving to safety next year if corner doesn't work out for him. I'm skeptical because you need to be tough to play safety and Randall is not so I'm really hoping that he will bounce back and have a career year at corner.

would love some more information on how Boyd was a drop off for our run defense.

He was quite easily regarded as a + run defender.

Boyd would not have been cut when Guion returned, either.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
Chili

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Chili wrote:

would love some more information on how Boyd was a drop off for our run defense.

He was quite easily regarded as a + run defender.

Boyd would not have been cut when Guion returned, either.
So you conveniently forgotten our abysmal run defence forcing us to play Clay Matthews at ILB to temporally fix it. Our run defence was better when Raji was playing and when he got knocked out for the season Boyd did not prove to be an adequate replacement.

Poor run defence + zero sacks = JAG all day long. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: