You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GB Roster post draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
I'm not gonna lie. This class didn't move the needle for me as far as this season goes.

Hope I'm wrong.

Whatchu think squire

I really like the first 4 picks. GB needed an injection of speed and potential playmakers on D, think the first 3 give them that. Biegel I am luke warm on, top of the 4th he will fill a role and be a contributor on ST and rotational at OLB (or if he moves inside at ILB).

Like Aaron Jones more than Williams, but getting 2 RB's was the right call. Not sure about the 3rd RB. Seems a lot like grabbing a bunch and hoping 1-2 pan out. I am puzzled by the 2 picks at WR. Felt that 1 would be taken, but not 2. Maybe they it is some forshadowing on the futures of Cobb, Nelson or Adams??

Like the Amichia pick, or at least that type of pick. Honestly did not get much into watching him. Felt there were a few others that could have fit, but what the hell do I know.

I feel that another OLB/Edge should have been picked up somewhere. Not sure who or when, but feel like that group is a bit thin. Maybe they have plans on Lowry being more of an outside edge rusher in some situations or Fackrell/Elliott have shown more than we/I know.

Overall, Offense will be fine with Rodgers, a solid OL anchored by the OT and Linsley inside. Stable of WR and TE will make the thing go.

Defense is the question mark....as has been for the last few years.
Think more so the LBs are the Question Marks. But we fixed our secondary up quite nicely, A+ imo with getting House/King/Jones and finished out our D-Line depth with Adams. I think its a solid draft with a lot of depth more so than starters but thats ok in some respects.
spilltray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
Spill - for me, take out Kerridge and add in Marwin Evans and I like it so far. I think I like Dupre more than Yancey

I went back and forth over Kerridge and Ringo, but I think they liked the flexibility of being able to use the 2 FB set and none of the TEs they had can really flex into the FB. I'm not sure, maybe Bennett or Kendricks could but it's not a role I'd expect them to excel in either way. Maybe an 11th DB before a 7th DL, but 5th RB+FB, another LB, or basically whoever the best special teams guy could get that last roster spot.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
packerjmf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
Spill - for me, take out Kerridge and add in Marwin Evans and I like it so far. I think I like Dupre more than Yancey

I think the WR position will be wide open after #3. I feel like Allison, Janis, Davis, Yancey, and Dupre could all easily make or miss the 53 man roster.

Also rooting for the rookie punter even if Schum did start to get a little more consistent towards the end of the season.
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:

Agreed Dupre looks like a beast that can take Janis/Davis spot if he wanted to.
spilltray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
I'm going to take a crack at a 53

QB: Aaron Rodgers , Brett Hundley, Joe Callahan
RB: Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones
FB: Aaron Ripkowski, Joe Kerridge
WR: Jordy Nelson, Deangelo Yancey
WR: Davante Adams, Geronimo Allison
WR: Randall Cobb, Trevor Davis
TE: Martellus Bennett, Richard Rodgers, Lance Kendricks
LT: David Bahktiari. Jason Spriggs
LG: Lane Taylor, Don Barclay
C: Corey Linsley
RG: Jahri Evans, Kofi Amichia
RT: Bryan Bulaga, Kyle Murphy

DE: Mike Daniels, Montravius Adams
NT: Kenny Clark , Brian Price
DE: Ricky Jean Francois, Dean Lowry
OLB: Nick Perry, Vince Biegel, Jayrone Elliott
ILB: Blake Martinez, Joe Thomas
ILB: Jake Ryan
OLB: Clay Matthews, Kyler Fackrell
CB: Davon House, Damarious Randall, Kevin King, Quinten Rollins, Josh Hawkins, Ladarius Gunter
SS: Morgan Burnett, Josh Jones
FS: HaHa Clinton-Dix, Kentrell Brice

K: Mason Crosby
P: Jake Schum
LS: Derek Hart

There is probably only a few that are up for grabs.
Seems light at the LB group. only 3 ILB, sure moving Clay inside helps with position flexibility, but that leaves the OLB group pretty thin on proven players.
Not sure GB carries 6 WR since the TE position will allow for more 2 TE sets. I could see a 4th TE to have that body type for ST if the LB group is only at 8.

I also think Burnett or Jones is going to basically take some of the "Dime LB" snaps. That lessens the need. Beigel also looks like a guy that might be able to move inside and outside, so between those 3 and Matthews, I don't think you need more than 3 guys inside.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TransientTexan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:
The improvement will come from development of the guys going into their 2nd and 3rd years, and guys coming back from injuries.

That's the thing that's often overlooked. People that are complaining about the lack of immediate roster improvements often say we can't rely on rookies, so the perceived "holes" are still unfilled. Meanwhile, they're subconsciously writing off existing young players on the roster because of rookie struggles the prior year, even though they just admitted that those types of struggles are to be expected.

The defense has a plethora of young guys currently playing a significant number of snaps that could be in line for jumps of improvement. Ryan, Rollins, Randall , & Gunter are all in position for possible 3rd-yr jumps. Clark, Lowry, Martinez, Fackrell, and Brice are all candidates for 2nd-yr jumps.

Now will all of them make jumps? Of course not. In fact most won't. But history has proven that at least a few of them will. And once in a while there are some rookies that can defy the odds and do at least a passable job in year 1 (Linsley, Bak, HHCD, Starks, Randall, Rollins, etc), even if they are not at their peak yet.
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see about 4 mildly tough cuts that make us think twice but don't feel too bad about losing, 3 pretty tough cuts that figure themselves out through competition, and 4 incredibly tough cuts where we're really trying to figure out across the entire roster where we can cut picks. Do we keep 3 QB's? If not, we go down to needing 3, but we know there is interest in Callahan from last year and we want to move Hundley soon most likely. Do we cut an OL? Do we go with only 3 ILB's? Do we cut 1-2 extra solid DB's in their 2nd year? QB, OL, ILB, and up to 2 DB's creates 5 spots. Do we cut down to 5 DL's while we wait for Guion to come off of suspension? So say out of those 6 we need to cut 4, that's going to be rough to figure out. And that's with 7 already moderately difficult cuts.

I guess that's about how it normally works out for us where there's a few guys we want to keep and really just can't figure out a way to, maybe slightly rougher than usual, but there's normally 1-2 UDFA's that make some noise as well. If things get too bad maybe we can trade a guy away, but I guess we signed House, 2 TE's, and Evans, then we added 10 players in the Draft, so there should be a few extra tough cuts.

Location: fin-land Metaphysical & Eternal EveryoneLoveEveryone
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: GB Roster post draft Reply with quote

QB: Aaron Rodgers | Brett Hundley | Joe Callahan | Taysom Hill (2/4)

Callahan & Hill battling for maybe (long shot) a roster spot. Likely just fighting to make the PS. Tayson looks like he does some nice things. Really the exact kind of dude GB likes in their back-ups. Rooting for Tayson; kinda plays fearless. Callahan was looking sharp last year, so should be a fun little competition there. Saw some fellows saying no way Tayson beats our Callahan, but not buying that stock personally. Either way though, don't think either make roster.

RB: Ty Montgomery | Aaron Jones | Jamaal Williams | Christine Michael | Devante Mays | Don Jackson (4/6)

This is gonna be w/o a doubt the funnest pre-season comp. Don't think anyone has a clue how they're gonna split carries up amongst this group. Pretty confident Jamaal & Aaron are gonna make the roster obviously. Christine I think is a good bet. Mays & Jackson likely odd men out, but if one of them shows out I guess Michael could be cut. Really in terms of fighting for a roster spot, think it's Christine v. Mays. Mays is the most different of the group, so he's got that going for him, but think he prolly gets PS'd & we go w/ Michael.I do think we keep 4 though since we can flex monty out.

FB: Aaron Ripkowski | Joe Kerridge (1/2)

Maybe Kerridge sticks, no idea what kinda value he brings on ST. I'd say just roll w/ Rip. Our TE's pretty versatile in that regard I believe.

WR: Jordy Nelson | Davante Adams | Randall Cobb | DeAngelo Yancey | Trevor Davis | Jeff Janis | Geronimo Allison | Malachi Dupre | Antwan Goodley | Montay Crockett | Aaron Peck | Michael Clark | Maxwell McCaffery (6/13)

So we have the big three and then 10 other guys fighting for ~ 3 roster spots. Or really if we're being honest, likely 5 guys battling for those spots in yancey, allison, davis, janis & dupre. Just watching Yancey now and he looks really good.. I am a fan. Trevor Davis is good I think. That probably leaves one guy & I just watched some quick clips and all look exciting man. Clark is 6'7, so that's kinda cool. Don't think they'll be more than PS guys, but hopefully one of those fellows makes this even more interesting and pushes the bigger name guys fighting for spots. Really for me, we have to keep Yancy & Davis imo... I think we have to keep our #1 gunner in Janis. Don't wanna let both Allison and Dupre get left off the active roster, but considering we're still probably gonna use Ty outside a little bit, no reason to have either on the roster really. Crazy man... gonna be interesting to see how that shakes out.

TE: Martellus Bennett | Lance Kendricks | Richard Rodgers | Beau Sandland (3/4)

Pretty cut & dry positional group. Top 3 make the roster. I just watched some stuff on Sandland and ho hum iyam. Maybe he's a good STer i dunno. Just gonna say we keep the obvious three. But nonetheless rooting for sandland to make this interesting w/ Rich Rod, but long shot. Nothing really stands out watching Sandland.

OT: David Bahktiari | Bryan Bulaga | Jason Spriggs | Kyle Murphy | Christian Schneider (4/5)

Not a whole lot of info on Schneider, but he has a good opportunity here. I was high on Kyle Murphy last year. Might only keep three, but gonna go ahead and nab Murphy as making the 53.

IL: Corey Linsley | Lane Taylor | Jahri Evans | Kofi Amichia | Don Barclay | Geoff Gray | Justin McCray | Jacob Flores | Lucas Patrick | Adam Pankey | Thomas Evans (5/11)

We have three solid guys and then some names. And Barclay. Probably get five. Kofi seems like a fun guy. Rooting for him to make it. Holy hell just realized McCray is not the same McCray we used to have, it's his brother. Alright. Watched a little everyone and like Geoff the best of all this fellows. Judging from interviews/pictures. But I assume Barclay will be back..

DL: Mike Daniels | Kenny Clark | Ricky Jean Francois | Dean Lowry | Montravius Adams | Letroy Guion (SUS) | Christian Ringo | Brian Price | Izaah Lunsford (6+(1)/9)

Top 5 guys there are locks imo. Maybe we keep one more of those fellows. Lunsford seems interesting. Rooting for Ringo to make it. Will keep him until Letroy is back.

EDGE: Nick Perry | Clay Matthews | Vince Biegel | Kyler Fackrell | Jayrone Elliott | Reggie Gilbert | Johnathan Calvin (5/7)

It's just now hitting me how much we're screwed when Clay pulls his hammy. Damn, we've never been so weak at EDGE. Kyler need to break out lol. Or Biegel needs to be a starter... man. Well the top 5 guys definitely make roster I think. Can't find anything to watch on Calvin. Hell Gilbert might make this team by proxy. Crazy to me they didn't bring more edges in during UDFA. I mean I guess he's gotta be included. Congrats to Gilbert. I mean I guess they dont gotta... yeah nevermind.

ILB: Jake Ryan | Blake Martinez | Joe Thomas | Jordan Tripp | Derrick Mathews | Cody Heiman (3/6)

We have the main three. Then some other fellows. Think one more probably makes it. Gonna go watch some stuff on them real quick. Eh, not really overly intrigues with any of them.

CB: Damarious Randall | Davon House | Kevin King | Ladarius Gunter | Quinten Rollins | Josh Hawkins | Demetri Goodson | | Herb Waters | Donatello Brown | David Rivers III | Lenzy Pipkins (6/11)

Will be fun to see it shakes out w/ the snaps w/ the main five. Didn't Goodson wreck his leg. Never been overly impressive. Liked Hawkins a lot more. Remember reading about Herb Waters switching to CB & was intrigued. Brown looks kinda nice too watching him. Actually all those new guys got quick videos. Fun. I dunno think they keep one more, wanna give it to Waters, but hoping Hawkins takes a step.

SAF: HaHa Clinton-Dix | Morgan Burnett | Josh Jones | Kentrell Brice | Marvin Evans | Jermaine Whitehead (5/6)

Same group pretty much, but just switched Josh Jones. Not a lot of competition in terms of trying to win a roster spot. GL whitehead.

K: Mason Crosby (1)
P: Jake Schum | Justin Vogel (2)
LS: Derek Hart | Taybor Pepper (2)

Packers at 89

----------------------------------

So... we have one open roster spot. We could really use another EDGE. And I wish we had another talented guy on the interior O Line. My only real complaints with the roster as of now. Would also be nice to have a legit 1 at RB, but there's nothing we can do about that now. Don't foresee them going back into FA... but really hope we get another pass rusher on this team. Could be bad.

Last edited by jfinley88 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:23 am; edited 3 times in total
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
I'm not gonna lie. This class didn't move the needle for me as far as this season goes.

Hope I'm wrong.

Whatchu think squire
Cosign, quality depth, zero difference makers.
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packers should bring in Mario Williams to play the old Peppers role, still not sold on pass rush depth.
jfinley88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
Packers should bring in Mario Williams to play the old Peppers role, still not sold on pass rush depth.
hell even go get walden. or mario. or devin taylor. would bring something.
jfinley88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
super impressed w/ yancey.
packfanfb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, the OLB position scares me right now. We have Perry, our one true starter, Matthews, who we move inside a lot, and after that we are basically depending on Fackrell making a BIG year 2 jump, and a rookie 4th round pick in Biegel who probably won't offer much this year. That leaves Elliott, a guy who is a better special teamer than OLB. This is razor thin depth.

Moreover, are we going to dump the elephant position? We lost Peppers and Jones and havent replaced either one of them. We don't even have a player on the roster currently suited to play the elephant role...

Bottom line, I think we need a "Jahri Evans" type of signing at OLB for depth and insurance. At this point I'd even take Walden.

The rest of the roster I think we are pretty much okay with what we have but we did not address OLB like I thought we would in the draft (I was expecting more like 2 picks with one being a higher pick than rd 4) so without that, we need to turn back to FA.
Pugger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerjmf wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:

I think the WR position will be wide open after #3. I feel like Allison, Janis, Davis, Yancey, and Dupre could all easily make or miss the 53 man roster.

Also rooting for the rookie punter even if Schum did start to get a little more consistent towards the end of the season.

Who is our rookie punter?
Cadmus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:
hell even go get walden. or mario. or devin taylor. would bring something.

These are the exact players I was thinking of.

We can sign 1 more UFA and still receive 4 compensatory selections in 2018.

I'd be stunned if we didn't use that on a veteran EDGE.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 2 of 27

Jump to: