Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 NFC North Draft Round-Up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: 2017 NFC North Draft Round-Up Reply with quote

Chicago Bears
1.2 - Mitchell Trubisky [QB; North Carolina]
2.45 - Adam Shaheen [TE; Ashland]
4.112 - Eddie Jackson [S; Alabama]
4.119 - Tarik Cohen [RB; North Carolina A&T]
5.147 - Jordan Morgan [G; Kutztown]

Detroit Lions
1.21 - Jarrad Davis [LB; Florida]
2.53 - Teez Tabor [CB; Florida]
3.96 - Kenny Golladay [WR; Northern Illinois
4.124 - Jalen Reeves-Maybin [LB; Tennessee]
4.127 - Michael Roberts [TE; Toledo]
5.165 - Jamal Agnew [CB; San Diego]
6.205 - Jeremiah Ledbetter [DE; Arkansas]
6.215 - Brad Kaaya [QB; Miami]
7.250 - Pat O'Connor [DE; Eastern Michigan]

Green Bay Packers
2.33 - Kevin King [CB; Washington]
2.61 - Josh Jones [S; North Carolina State]
3.93 - Montravius Adams [DT; Auburn]
4.108 - Vince Biegel [LB; Wisconsin]
4.134 - Jamaal Williams [RB; Brigham Young]
5.175 - DeAngelo Yancey [WR; Purdue]
5.182 - Aaron Jones [RB; Texas El-Paso]
6.212 - Kofi Amichia [C; South Florida]
7.238 - Devante Mays [RB; Utah State]
7.247 - Malachi Dupre [WR; Louisiana State

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow that Bears draft is bad Shocked

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Trubisky emerges into a good QB, the Bears have set themselves back for a few years. That draft was truly awful.

The Packers draft was solid, I'd give it B+. Im surprised they didnt draft an edge rusher over Biegel. Carl Lawson would have been fantastic for them.

King, Adams and Williams were all good value picks that filled needs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packers drafting 3 RBs and 2 WRs is just a head scratcher for me.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
31. Chicago Bears

Selections:
2 Mitchell Trubisky [ QB ] North Carolina
45 Adam Shaheen [ TE ] Ashland
112 Eddie Jackson [ S ] Alabama
119 Tarik Cohen [ RB ] North Carolina A&T
147 Jordan Morgan [ G ] Kutztown

Best Pick:
Eddie Jackson – Loved far more by Alabama where he was one of four team captains and a cherished locker room leader, than by a draft community who were unable to see much of him throughout the process due to a broken leg he suffered in October. At 6 feet and 203, he’s perhaps slightly less than ideal proportions by modern day safety standards, but by no means off-putting. He was a smart operator at the back end of Alabama’s defense, someone who was versatile who also had the ability to take the ball away. Kick return abilities are a nice added bonus.

Most Questionable Pick:
Mitchell Trubisky – Not necessarily the pick itself, just purely weighing up what they had to give up to move up one spot against what they got in return. We can argue all day about whether it would have been smart for the Bears to take a quarterback at 3, given their investment in Glennon, their other needs and Trubisky’s light resume. The whole episode was a little surreal, even if I actually get that they would want two bites of the quarterback apple in the off-season given the HC and GM need to start winning or at least convince the ownership and fan base they are on the right path. They were clearly not one quarterback away from succeeding, so if you’re worried about not landing him at 3, then don’t throw away opportunities to upgrade much needed talent elsewhere.

Steal:
Tarik Cohen – I didn't see any of Jordan Morgan to comment, apart from enjoying the fact there's a school called Kutztown in the world. As for Cohen, he's 5’6 and 168 pounds and I still can’t tell if he’s more likely to become one of the league’s best mismatch weapons or someone who is just physically incapable of coping with the physical demands of the NFL. There’s certainly something rare about what this guy can do with a football in his hands. It’s still going to take a creative offensive mind to make it a success, but there’s certainly plenty to be intrigued about.

Overview:
It’s odd the Bears were so fixed on Trubkisy, they absolutely were unwilling to take Watson or Mahomes as back up plans. Both ended up with teams giving away their first rounders next year to come and get them, so clearly Kansas or Houston thought they were decent enough fallback options. I get the mindset of taking your QB anyway you can, but this is essentially why bad teams stay bad. Because they’re run by people who get wedded to prospects, make panicked decisions and don’t appreciate the value of draft picks.

Adam Shaheen might be a good tight end one day and clearly has some physical potential, but tight ends don’t often see a deal of success in their first seasons and he has as big of a transition to the league as anybody coming out. It could be a while before he gets delivers on that second round investment.

I do like that they tried to get back some of the draft capital they lost, but if Pace and co thought this was the draft that was going to save their jobs, then they’ve left a lot of needs unfilled to take a quarterback who probably won’t be starting for them much this year. And if he does, that wouldn’t necessarily be a good thing for him or the Bears.

second worst draft, as rated by the author.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588246

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Packers' first 4 picks, but the late round picks seem strange. I don't see Jamal Williams doing anything in the NFL.

The Bears and Lions drafts both look extremely uninspiring to me.

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Packers drafting 3 RBs and 2 WRs is just a head scratcher for me.

First 4 picks were all defense. They knew what their Achilles heel was and addressed it.

I like Turb. I think he going to be a top 15 QB. They have a long way to go though.

Don't know much about the Lions tbh.

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
Teddy needs a Snickers, he looks like Ponder when he is hungry
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams, a CHI fan, wrote:
1. People need to recognize that Glennon's contract is not in any way excessive, and after year 1, nothing is guaranteed. He's being paid as the 21st highest paid QB in the NFL for a single season, and after that point they can move on.

2. I don't think the bears really in the grand scheme of things gave up a significant amount, and I don't think they panicked. According to the Chicago Tribune, there were significant offers from Jacksonville and other teams to moveup to 2 to grab Trubisky before the Bears. The Bears made the only offer that would allow SF to still get Soloman Thomas, and the Bears traded away nothing higher than a 3rd round pick to swap the firsts. To guarantee you get your top QB, I don't think that is a significant exchange and I think they are in a much better situation in that regard than KC or Houston in that they didn't mortgage their future to trade up for the guy. Next year they are still mostly whole. Whether or not Trubisky was the right QB is a different question entirely, but I have come to understand the logic behind the trade and think it is being unfairly hailed as a bad decision.

3. Adam Pace's job is safe for the foreseeable future, but John Fox most likely is not if the Bears don't turn things around a bit this year. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Pace is posturing himself to secure his future and possibly become a better target for the head coaching hunt in 2018 so guys like Harbaugh or Shaw might be willing to come by seeing that they have some untapped offensive potential that they could work on.

Nozizaki

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Detroit had the best draft in the division, but I'm biased towards the Florida players.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
29. Detroit Lions

Selections:
21. Jarrad Davis [ LB ] Florida
53. Teez Tabor [ CB ] Florida
96. Kenny Golladay [ WR ] Northern Illinois
124. Jalen Reeves-Maybin [ LB ] Tennessee
127. Michael Roberts [ TE ] Toledo
165. Jamal Agnew [ CB ] San Diego
205. Jeremiah Ledbetter [ DE ] Arkansas
215. Brad Kaaya [ QB ] Miami (FL)
250. Pat O'Connor [ DE ] Eastern Michigan

Best Pick: Jarrad Davis
Perhaps he benefited a little from Reuben Foster’s poor draft season showing, but he was definitely undervalued as the second round talent pegged in most mock drafts. That was probably due to his ankle injury, more than anything else. His ability to run, hit and cover will be appreciated in Detroit who came into the draft needing to fill a hole there. From what you hear about him off the field, the team invested in a high character locker room leader.

Most Questionable Pick: Teez Tabor
I’m sure there are many out there who really liked the pick, because he's a talent. I’m just weary of corners that run 4.7 at their pro days (how did he run slower than the combine?) and also have a few well-documented off field issues. That’s not a good combination no matter how talented he is and clearly he showed some good things on tape. Another round or so and I would probably talk myself into the value here, but at 53 with some very good players on the board, I’m not loving it.

Steal: Michael Roberts
The Lions needed a potential red zone vulture that Roberts made his MO at Toledo where he was adept at boxing out defenders who couldn't live with his physicality. There will be questions as to whether he can be as productive (1 TD for every 3 receptions in 2016!) in that role in the NFL, where defenders won’t be so easy to out muscle. He’s certainly got the the size and frame to help out as a blocker inside, which might help to free up Eric Ebron in two tight end sets.

Overview:
This is hard, because we’re already at the point where there’s lots to like about a team’s draft and I’m kind of having to punish the Lions through my own ignorance which is unfair – but hey I said this was a dumb exercise at the beginning so let’s press on. I’m not crazy on the value Detroit got here, with many of the selections taken a round or two earlier than would have expected. Of course, that’s always a dangerous assumption to make.

I’m also kind of surprised they didn’t land themselves a defensive end in a draft where you could presumably get a potential starter on day three. That was always pegged as a big need for them. I know they drafted Jeremiah Ledbetter at 203, but you’re not expecting starters at that point and I would imagine his inside/outside versatility would have appealed more than anything else. I didn’t see Golladay, so obviously that impacts my evaluation of the draft. Perhaps the Lions landed one of the best unseen talents of the draft here in round three. From what I hear, he’s got that prototype X receiver size and speed combination that might be missing from their receiving corps.

Of the remaining picks, I think Kaaya in the 6th is an upgrade for their backup position which has been one of the worst in the league for a while. Jalen Reeves-Maybin has some of the run and cover qualities Detroit love to have in their linebackers. He’s got a scary history of shoulder injuries however, which is why many thought he would be a late round selection. Jamal Agnew and Pat O’Connor were not on my radar. I know Agnew’s best quality is his speed and has the ability to return kicks, so I’m presuming that was a selling point. O’Connor has some of the size they like in their defensive ends.

The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Bears:
I mean, looking at the rest of their draft outside of Trubisky, it's nothing to write home about, but could end up being decent. And then there is Trubisky, trading up a pick to get him doesn't make a ton of sense to me. But their draft will basically go how Trubisky goes.

For the Lions:
I think the best thing going for them is the volume of picks. I think they'll hit on some of them, but besides Jarrad Davis whom I like, it just seems okay to me. Nothing stands out as all that great, but nothing screams terrible to me, probably just an average draft.

For the Packers:
Kevin King is solid, but the pick that I really like is Montravius Adams, that is a great pick. Vince Beigel, I think can also make an impact. I'm not sure about their draft after those picks. Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, and Devante Mays kind of all of blech in a draft that was deep at RB.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 minute video review of NFC North teams' drafts:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/NFC-North-Draft-Grades/430ae7ab-1a2c-42e4-9198-b107aee2f487?sf75714088=1

B+ - Green Bay
C+ - Chicago
B - Detroit
B - Minnesota

byuvike88

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
I love the Packers' first 4 picks, but the late round picks seem strange. I don't see Jamal Williams doing anything in the NFL.

What don't you like?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byuvike88 wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:

What don't you like?

he isn't overly big, yet one of the worst athletes in this draft class. zero agility. he is athletic enough to make some plays at BYU against 3rd-4th tier schools, but he is going to get run down quick in the NFL. when I think of players that aren't going to be able to adjust to the speed of the NFL, this is it.

he has good balance, keeps his legs moving and is a tough runner, but he doesn't have the size or strength like Lacy or Blount to make up for his lack of athleticism.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
byuvike88 wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:

What don't you like?

he isn't overly big, yet one of the worst athletes in this draft class. zero agility. he is athletic enough to make some plays at BYU against 3rd-4th tier schools, but he is going to get run down quick in the NFL. when I think of players that aren't going to be able to adjust to the speed of the NFL, this is it.

he has good balance, keeps his legs moving and is a tough runner, but he doesn't have the size or strength like Lacy or Blount to make up for his lack of athleticism.

I just don't see where he isn't athletic. Now I am not saying he is Mccaffery but his scores are right up there with most of the top RB's and the "athletic" backs.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/2/14796202/2017-nfl-combine-results-running-backs-leonard-fournette-dalvin-cook-christian-mccaffrey

He also didn't play many "4th" tier teams. BYU had a quality schedule last year (Michigan St. was a disappointment but he dominated them), and the gimme games they had like Southern Utah and Umass, he didn't play in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVoiNbBW5G4
This was his first game after a year off and he dominated an Arizona team (who ended up struggling a lot in part due to a rash of injuries). You can see how porus BYU's line was last year but he shows the ability to make people miss in the hole. As for agility go to play 1:53. He make a couple jump cuts that turned a 15 yard run into a 45 yard run (got called back for a foul away from the play). Then at 2:58 he shows the power he runs with. It ends up as a loss of yards but it takes 5-6 guys to bring him down.

He definitely has things to improve on, but I see a solid back who can come in a be a very nice complimentary piece for the Packers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: