Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Your reaction to the draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've reflected on this, aka by some as sobering up, and

Round 1 A+~ we were so lucky but did the right thing, didn't panic etc.. well done

Round 2 A. Really nice job. Got to hard working totally committed really good players who are winners. I can understand why some wanted a potentially more talented athlete but this draft was about not taking too many chances and being very solid

Round 3 A. Again lucky but had the sack to wait and make the pick. Three new defensive quality starters by end of season or early next season. That's success

Round 4. At first I was kind of pissed but I now think I understand what they were doing- heavy drafting for Need and drafting very conventionally out of a book prepared by scouting service. Round 4-7 looks like a guy following ourlads draft guide based on positions of need. It is quite remarkable how consistent our picks were compared to their scouts rankings. So I give it a C. It was a " don't get too cute, stay safe draft"

I expect Allen Anderson Fabio P-Rine, and Speinkle make the opening day roster. Several 3-4 of the other guys will be on practice squad for development

My sleeper? ( low round pick or free agent who shows very well) Is WR Davis or that Louisville safety who knocked guys teeth out with hits in the ACC. Can't wait to see Harvey-Clemons as a punt team gunner:)[/b]

WARNING to Parrot- don't look below as you may recall this when Harvey Clemons starred for Georgia and Knocked some LSU guy into next year

Last edited by Doc Draper on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
PSID412

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like this is a really solid draft for us. We got a few players I feel like can help the team. I do find it disappointing we couldn't find a true nose tackle also kind of surprised we didn't take a QB since we haven't signed Cousins long term.

So my final grade is a B

^ Awesome sig by Mike23md
mar29020

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Also...

Its been 8 years since we switched to a 3-4 alignment.

Raise your hand if youre not surprised that we didnt address the most crucial position, NT, yet again.

<raises hand>
crazy aint it??
lavar703

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
I'm still shocked we passed on Isiah Ford in the 7th round.

Same here. Couldve gotten him in the 6th and I wouldve been happy

I understand I'm a biased hokie fan but my lord Isiah going in the 7th round is ridiculous. I thought he'd be a 2nd rounder but the Dolphins are going to love him. He's not the fastest guy but he's a tactician. His route running is tremendous and he's going to make a name for himself.

Also I feel bad for Jarod Evans but I fully expected him to go undrafted. Another year with Fuente and he's probably a third round pick but his ego got in the way. I really wish he would've reconsidered but he had some people around him telling him stupid stuff. What a mistake on his part but I wish him the best.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the draft for what we did through the first four rounds. I wish we had drafted either Watkins or Qualls in round 6 but other than that, I loved it.

The got game changers in the first 3 rounds. They arguably drafted the most complete player in this draft when Allen fell to them in round 1.

Great draft. For me it's hard to say that the late round guys we took won't be better than the late round guys we passed on. If I've learned anything over the last 4 drafts or even back further, it's that if they take someone I don't want late and I don't know much about them, that doesn't mean that they're wrong.

In 2014, I didn't know much about or want Long, Breeland and Grant and they turned out to be solid, or better in Breeland's case, draft picks for us.

In 2015 I didn't want Crowder, Kouandijo or Jarrett and all Crowder has done is become our most reliable wr. Kouandijo is our top reserve interior lineman and may be a starter at LG this year or in the near future and Jarrett was awesome as a rookie, it's a shame he got hurt, we miss him.

In 2016 we were all upset with the draft and not takingnsome of the DL and LBs especially in the mid rounds. Turns out we may have been right, but maybe not depending on how Ioannidis develops as a NT and how Nate Sudfeld Indiana, Steven Daniels and Keith Marshall develop.

Just because Nate didn't do much as a rookie last preseason and our two 7th round picks got hurt and didn't get to show much doesn't mean they won't show well this preseason and make the team.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc, fix the size of that pic or I'm gonna edit it out

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
TheGreeK1973

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely loved this draft.

there is not a single person in this universe who would have thought Allen gets picked at 17 by a team that is in dire need of a top prospect at DT. And that was us. Sh*t like this don't happen to us.

Anderson was a pick that many thought as a bit of a reach but for me Anderson was a late 1st round pick. The dude is an animal and if he had a couple of tenths less in his 40 time he would have been picked in the 1st round. But that is the NFL its all about numbers, yet nothing about tenacity, leadership and heart. That was good for us.

Fabian seriously I thought he was going in the 2nd round because of his injury and here we were picking him in the 3rd. Another huge value in a position of need because unless Breeland balls out this year we are not resigning him.

Then we got with our 4th the best RB available at that time and someone that could become even better in the pros. Another huge plus for us.

Davis, I have to admit I knew nothing about him, nothing really was mentioned about him and when I saw the Pick I was WTF ok Bruce after what you done so far I will give you a pass. Then I am starting to read stuff on this guy. Huge receiver, what he did in the combine puts him top 5. Well I am not in to work out warriors until I learn he caught a hell of a lot of balls in college, rarely drops the ball and the dude is stronger than most LBs. Can you imagine if he can improve in his root running? We could have Garcon number 2 but bigger, faster and stronger. This IMO was a scout pick (Campbell and his boys) saying I don't give a crap its the 4th round we can't loose this guy.

I can keep going on and on. loved the S pick, but my favorite 4-7 picks after Davis was the C Chase Roullier. The dude looks for real and fills a huge need as we didn't have another C signed for a backup for Long. And he can also play Guard. No wonder we traded out when we found out the Texans (or was it the Titans I forgot) where going to pick him and we needed to jump ahead of them. BTW awesome move up FO, we basically moved up by moving down on the 7th...talk about value.

In the end we will have to wait for a couple of years to see where this draft ranks for us but I can't help think it could be a candidate for our best draft in the past 25 years, maybe the one we got Arrington and Samuels challenges it. Only time will tell.
big44dog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mar29020 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Also...

Raise your hand if youre not surprised that we didnt address the most crucial position, NT, yet again.

<raises hand>
crazy aint it??

I'm done trying to understand how they think they can be dominant in a 3-4 without a true big fat nose. This year the guy myself and a good number of us and the "experts" had us taking was the USC kid known as "Big Stevie". Guys a monster and those southern pacific kids play so damn salty man. He's 26 big deal it means he's more mature and fresher. Doesn't take a genius to realize not having a big fat true nose is a big reason why our ILBs struggle so much

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most that things seemed to go haywire after the Perine pick. Maybe that's all Scot got down to on his big board before he was canned. Loved the first 3 picks so much it's cool in the end. Big question is who's picking the players next draft???

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother I'm wit you ( Blue Heaven)

It's almost like we have gotten ourselves in a situation -the 3/4- and can't figure a way out of it without looking like an idiot. So we send our radio stooges to echo chamber that we really aren't a 3/4 we are a 4/3 in nickel 70% of the time or we have guys who can play 3/4 or 4/3 or 4/2 basically we don't have a base defense

The NFL has evolved and against some teams you may be in nickel a great majority of time but other games you have to stop the run. Maybe they think Taylor or isoddonis can do it? I think a big nose is the second most important position on a 3:4 team and we have rejects or unknowns playing it.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big44dog wrote:
mar29020 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Also...

<raises hand>
crazy aint it??

I'm done trying to understand how they think they can be dominant in a 3-4 without a true big fat nose. This year the guy myself and a good number of us and the "experts" had us taking was the USC kid known as "Big Stevie". Guys a monster and those southern pacific kids play so damn salty man. He's 26 big deal it means he's more mature and fresher. Doesn't take a genius to realize not having a big fat true nose is a big reason why our ILBs struggle so much
Because we don't run a 3-4, two-gap defense, we now run a one-gap defense. We only have 1 DL that two gaps, the NT is a one gap who plays a shade NT and penetrates/shoots the 1 gap. Then, our 3rd DL aka our other 3-4 DE plays the 3 technique.

We don't play a two-gap defense anymore with two five-techniques and a zero-technique NT who's 320 plus pounds.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
Brother I'm wit you ( Blue Heaven)

It's almost like we have gotten ourselves in a situation -the 3/4- and can't figure a way out of it without looking like an idiot. So we send our radio stooges to echo chamber that we really aren't a 3/4 we are a 4/3 in nickel 70% of the time or we have guys who can play 3/4 or 4/3 or 4/2 basically we don't have a base defense

The NFL has evolved and against some teams you may be in nickel a great majority of time but other games you have to stop the run. Maybe they think Taylor or isoddonis can do it? I think a big nose is the second most important position on a 3:4 team and we have rejects or unknowns playing it.
Maybe because we don't run the okie 3-4 defense anymore like when Haz was here?

Our defense is a blend of the 3-4 and 4-3, I'm sorry you think that is something that only sports talk radio personalities have dreamed up, but it's not. We run the same defense that the Broncos, Texans, Rams and Chargers run or teams that have or had Wade Phillips or his disciples as their defensive coordinator.

http://www.afcaweekly.com/2015/08/one-gap-3-4-defense-keeps-offenses-on-their-heels/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2007958.amp.html

Quote:
3-4 Under Front

The 3-4 Under was a common front run by the Texans and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips during the 2013 season in Houston.

Another “1-gap” scheme that gives you protection to the closed side (four defenders) with the open-side Will ‘backer and defensive end in a position to clean up as cutback players.

To the closed side, the defense is protected with the nose tackle (N) in a 0-shade (or 1-technique) on the outside shoulder of the center (same as a 4-3 Under front), the defensive end (E) in a 5/6-technique and the Sam (S) is aligned outside of the tight end (Y) in a 7-technique.

And with the Mike (M) filling to the B-gap, the defense has every gap accounted for to the closed side of the formation.

To the open side, the Will (W) plays the cutback/boot from the 6-technique with the defensive end (E) aligned in either a 2- or 3-technique. The defense can align the end in a 3-technique (B-gap) with the Jack filling to the A-gap. Or, the defense can bump the end down to a 2-technique. This allows the end to “2-gap” the guard with the Jack (J) on a fill/scrape.

We also signed Stacey McGee who many have said weighs more than his listed weight on NFL.com. He looks bigger than 310 pounds. We signed Phil Taylor also who's 330 pounds.

Last edited by turtle28 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:45 pm; edited 5 times in total
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
I've reflected on this, aka by some as sobering up, and

Round 1 A+~ we were so lucky but did the right thing, didn't panic etc.. well done

Round 2 A. Really nice job. Got to hard working totally committed really good players who are winners. I can understand why some wanted a potentially more talented athlete but this draft was about not taking too many chances and being very solid

Round 3 A. Again lucky but had the sack to wait and make the pick. Three new defensive quality starters by end of season or early next season. That's success

Round 4. At first I was kind of pissed but I now think I understand what they were doing- heavy drafting for Need and drafting very conventionally out of a book prepared by scouting service. Round 4-7 looks like a guy following ourlads draft guide based on positions of need. It is quite remarkable how consistent our picks were compared to their scouts rankings. So I give it a C. It was a " don't get too cute, stay safe draft"

I expect Allen Anderson Fabio P-Rine, and Speinkle make the opening day roster. Several 3-4 of the other guys will be on practice squad for development

My sleeper? ( low round pick or free agent who shows very well) Is WR Davis or that Louisville safety who knocked guys teeth out with hits in the ACC. Can't wait to see Harvey-Clemons as a punt team gunner:)[/b]

WARNING to Parrot - don't look below as you may recall this when Harvey Clemons starred for Georgia and Knocked some LSU guy into next year

I think it's a bit too soon to think that we drafted 3 or 4 starters in this draft (if you include Perine as our top RB). Yes, of course Johnathan Allen is a sure fire starter and will be on day 1.

It remains to be seen what Preston Smith does in his third year though and if he or Anderson end up becoming the current and future starter opposite Kerrigan. It also remains to be seen how Breeland rebounds after an up and down year last year and if Fabian Moreau develops into starter material or if he will ever be better than what Breeland even was last year. Heck, don't forget Fuller in this equation also, Fuller could still end up being the best of these 3. There is also no guarantee that Moreau will be a better corner than Fuller.

We got good prospects in this draft, but because of the good young talent we already have developing at their positions on the roster, there is no guarantee that anyone but Allen will be a starter but, to me that's a good thing. There's nothing wrong with more good depth and competition at OLB, CB, S and RB.

mar29020

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draft was great i thought. but the uncertainty with cousins is still that dark cloud over my head.
ovfd55

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+'s
-We got Jonathan Allen
-Got some athletes with high Upside
-We didn't Draft a QB best way to show Kirk we want him like he been crying about

-'s
Didn't get a Nose Tackle
Left better talent on board later in draft for some risks,and luxury pick

Meh
-in a HB heavy Draft got the one talent that most like our Current Starter,Perine might end up being better then him though

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: