Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft grade
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rivers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Draft grade Reply with quote

what do you give the FO for a grade considering team needs and then players available when we drafted?

if you want to grade each pick , then do so.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im on my phone and dont want to type out a super long post on here, so for now, Ill just give my grade and short breakdown.

I give this draft a C.

Watt is a decent pick that could pay off huge, but I have my concerns.

Juju is the type of WR we needed, but I hate that we spent 2nd round pick on WR.

Sutton is an okay pick, but we still dont have a capable starter next to Burns.

Conner was just a bad pick for that spot. Take away the feel good story and where he played and youre left with the realization that we might have just drafted a UDFA talent in the 3rd round.

Dont know most of the late rounders, so I cant say much.

Overall, Im disappointed. I feel like we are the only team in the AFC North that didnt have a great draft. Fortunately, games are won on Sundays, and draft paper champions dont always amount to much....but as of right now, I give them all A's, and us a C. Really hope Im way off.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not real good at giving grades but there were so many "mistakes" made in this draft IMO. Obviously the Steelers stuck to their board and are more than likely happy with the results. But I do think this braintrust has zero ability to get a sense of what the rest of the league is thinking as they routinely take players higher than what MOST have them ranked. I don't know if it's because they are scared the player won't last or what. But it happens a lot. As for the players...

1) Watt: I'm ok with it considering what was left. High potential tempered by potential injury. If he stays healthy he will be a 10 sack guy I believe.

2) JuJu: The player himself is gifted tho under performed in college imo. Was it a QB issue? Maybe. But WR was NOT a Rd2 need. It just wasn't. He does help the Offense but I think there were other players (Golladay) that could have done the same a Rd later. Assuming he takes on PR duties that's a big plus.

3) Sutton: I wanted a #2. Cameron is a decent player. I just felt a Nickel corner could have been gotten a Rd later and a #2 Here or in Rd 2.

3C) Connor: Great story and great kid. He was overdrafted imo. Maybe they really wanted Dobbs and figured to get both they had to take Connor here. Who knows?

4) Dobbs: I don't see him as a future starter personally. A capable backup? Sure. I see no need to draft that now or in Rd 4.

5) Allen: I like him as an investment. Super athletic and long. There isn't a CB like him in the League. Perhaps he will be the first of what the rest of the League looks to copy in the near future. He won't last on the PS.

6) Doesn't deserve comment

7) Adams: They ended the day on a positive. Like many have said before, if you switch the last two pix it makes it more palatable. Adams is what you draft late. A raw prospect with the measurables of a great player. Hopefully he can put them to use.

A C sounds about right to me. I don't think they read the board well, overdrafted and took positions of less need over positions of greater need.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
32houchen32

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last three picks I don't know. I like two of the picks Positions. That LS pick.... barf.

Dobbs- I really don't know that much about him. The only QB I really watched was pat mahomes. Smart, athletic, and sounds like potential is there according to the "experts". Time will tell.

Conner- as 43 stated about the story. Who do you really get? This is a huge question. He got better as last year went on, that's a positive sign that he's getting back to 2014(?) form. Seeing first hand what chemotherapy physically did to my father and how Conner would still train, that's [inappropriate/removed] unbelievable. Now, I don't care about that ideal change of pace logic, I believe if you can produce, they why the hell not take that person. Time will tell, If he can produce like he did in 2014 and it translating to the pros. His combine numbers are pretty close to Bell and possesses some similar traits. This could be a steal behind Bell or the future. I don't mean to get politically correct, but Bell isn't locked up long term.

Sutton- like the position. Inside or outside, it was a need. Definitely a plus with his man coverage skills. Lake talked about that in his take on Sutton and how they want to do more man in the future. Definitely a plus. Time will tell.

Ju Ju- Early in the process, I would of punched someone bringing up WR this early. As 43 stated, this is the type of WR we've been needing. It does suck spending a 2nd on him.... Or is this the biggest win mode the steelers did in the draft? The offense sucked against the patriots also. In some ways we need to stop blaming the coaching staff on offense to an extent and hold players accountable also. There wasn't to many complains when we had more then Brown that could get open consistently. Again, time will tell.

*side note*
I'm drooling over the idea of having Brown, Bryant, Ju Ju, Coates, and Bell/Green out there at the same time. If this doesn't happen at all this season, I'll throat punch Toddles.

Watt- upside is great. Love his effort and work ethic. I see a Clay Mathews with his versatility to play inside also. My biggest concern, those knees. That made me really hesitant with this pick. I'm no doctor. I'm not entirely sure if anyone is on here. So my trust has to be in the steelers doctors doing their homework. I'm sure if it was bad, he wouldn't be the pick. Carl Lawson is a prime example through this process. time will tell with Watt also.

I can't grade this draft. I failed to look at these players other then Conner before cancer. It's also hard for me to view the draft process as a win now mode even if you're in the high picks because it's all unproven. I do however, have faith in our WR picks because they really haven't disappointed me with production. But I do like the potential of this class outside of that LS pick.
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a B+.

Watt = A+. No better pick available. My dream pick.

JuJu = B. Solid player, but there were better available. It was a need.

Sutton = B-. I don't like the size and speed, but I like that he's a man cover guy, and was a need.

Conner = B or C. A bit early, but if he can get his explosiveness back, it's an A.

Dobbs = F. Not a fan of inaccurate QBs, but at least he's smart and athletic and can't possibly be any worse than Landry Jones. Yuck.

Allen = A+. A late 5 with that upside I'll take all day long. (the 3rd guy they drafted that I consistently mocked to the Steelers, along with Watt and Conner, so obviously I liked the draft, even if Conner was 2 rounds early).

Holba = WTF

Adams = A+. There was pretty much garbage left, and he was one of the best choices left, if not the best.
theironcitykid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers are notorious B drafters that usually end up being B+ but I think I can poke some holes in this one.

TJ Watt is a bad pick. And the split second Ziggy Hood and Jarvis Jones were drafted I said the same thing. This is a guy here with average strength and athleticism who played one year of OLB and spent two years not playing with injuries. They think that means high upside given his last name.

Juju is the best player drafted by the Steelers. It comes at a position that might not need help though, which could backfire. Nevertheless, four good WRs is never a bad thing. Split them out wide and Bell in the backfield.

Sutton is a good shout. But CB is a need, not a want. What's that guys name Chris Hogan? I don't even know his name for sure and he torched us in that weak cover three look running seams all day long. This position needed improving not more darts thrown at the board. Now talk of Keenan Lewis coming in for a visit. Not even a good dart player

Conner is a feel good story with 7th rd talent. I like the story, no - I love the story, but just not with Marlon Mack and Tarik Cohen still on the board. I love the D'onta Foreman story but he went a few picks earlier. Outside of Pittsburgh, what's his value? Doesn't matter except when the draft is a value proposition.

Dobbs is an athletic career backup. He can't hit the broad sign of a barn. A little D.D. maybe. Dennis Dixon. Don't like the pick with Desmond King on the board.

When I was watching combine warriors and the Steelers obsession with speed guys I thought Brian Allen might be a name they would like day three. 6'3" 4.4 speed. Give this pick a B+

Long snapper is a good pick considering the board was pretty barren at this point. They bring in good competition - not that I know his snap time - and can eventually, or this year, save 500k at the long snapper position. Good pick. Our third best pick.

Unfamiliar with 7th rd pick. Expecting Travis Feeney. When I watch him I'll let you know.

Given our third best pick might be a long snapper to save 500k on the cap I have to chalk this up as an awful draft. They failed to address the needs of Safety, EDGE, CB, RB, and ILB - which are their top 5 needs. It appears we have a rollover taking place and they will rollover their needs to the 2018 draft.

Grade: D+
theironcitykid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juju
Brian Allen
LS
Conner
Sutton
Watt
Dobbs
7th rd

That's how I'd rank the picks. As picks. Maybe Sutton and Watt turn out to be decent players but they should be when they're 1st and 3rd rd picks. Catch my drift.

Much better players on the board. You can wait on Dobbs. You can wait on Conner. If they slid the board down a pick starting with Conner and got Kendell Beckwith I'd give this draft a B. I just didn't get the value I wanted.
theironcitykid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus-Viktor wrote:
I'll give it a B+.

Watt = A+. No better pick available. My dream pick.

JuJu = B. Solid player, but there were better available. It was a need.

Sutton = B-. I don't like the size and speed, but I like that he's a man cover guy, and was a need.

Conner = B or C. A bit early, but if he can get his explosiveness back, it's an A.

Dobbs = F. Not a fan of inaccurate QBs, but at least he's smart and athletic and can't possibly be any worse than Landry Jones. Yuck.

Allen = A+. A late 5 with that upside I'll take all day long. (the 3rd guy they drafted that I consistently mocked to the Steelers, along with Watt and Conner, so obviously I liked the draft, even if Conner was 2 rounds early).

Holba = WTF

Adams = A+. There was pretty much garbage left, and he was one of the best choices left, if not the best.

Wow. No better pick available. When you look at wikipedia (for reference) at the draft you're gonna see a yellow fill at #31
theironcitykid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theironcitykid wrote:
Juju
Brian Allen
LS
Conner
Sutton
Watt
Dobbs
7th rd

That's how I'd rank the picks. As picks. Maybe Sutton and Watt turn out to be decent players but they should be when they're 1st and 3rd rd picks. Catch my drift.

Much better players on the board. You can wait on Dobbs. You can wait on Conner. If they slid the board down a pick starting with Conner and got Kendell Beckwith I'd give this draft a B. I just didn't get the value I wanted.

Grades are given on the following criteria: ability, value, position of need

A-
B+
B
C
D+
D-
F
F

The job of Colbert is to get as many good grades as possible to hand to the coaches to develop into good football players
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry kid, you're too foolish to take seriously. Saying that Watt is average athletically when he tested in the 95th percentile proves it all. The only credible point you make is that he's had injuries. Big freaking deal. A ton of players have. If he hadn't, he wouldn't have been around at #30. He played defense for 18 months. He dominated the one year he started on D. That's not a fluke. I watched him a lot this year. I know what he is.

Wikipedia and a popularity contest that means absolutely nothing nowadays is your new argument? Lame. It's also funny that your argument against Watt is injuries, when your boy is injured now and couldn't even work out, plus he has a failed drug test on his record already.

(For the record, I was vehemently opposed to drafting both Ziggy and Jarvis. Ziggy was not a 5-tech at all, with his obsession with his stupid spin move in all the workouts. Jarvis was too damn slow. Now HE was unathletic. Lower 5% I'm guessing. Not the top 5% like TJ.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watt was their man from the start. Has upside but needs to add some strength. Will sub for Harrison this year. Grade A as position of need and a very good athlete.

Juju - Not a big fan but it is a nod to Ben. Get him another big WR. He has great hands and is not afraid to get the ball. I like Godwin much better for the same reasons and Godwin is much faster and gets separation. I hope Charles Mann works some magic. Grade B

Cam Sutton - I am not a fan becasue he is not a change to what they have ( with the exception of Burns). He is an off man CB with really short arms. Slot only. Grade C

Dobbs - Someone else put it very well well for Dobbs -" I was excited to see what Dobbs would do for Tenn this year until I saw what Dobbs did for Tenn this year." Very smart QB with OK accuracy (61%). Has mechanical problems that can be corrected. coming out of college the first things i look for are accuracy, quick decision making and a decent arm. He has the first and the last. Grade B-

Connor - I HATE this pick. Becasue a Fat back is exactly what the Steeler were missing when they played NE. It is hard to find someone slower than Connor. But he does have good character Rolling Eyes Perine was there and a much better talent. Grade C- ( woulds go lower but I am often very wrong on the picks)

Brian Allen CB I LOVE this pick. Think Ike Taylor or Cortez Allen. A really long converted CB. His measurables are in the same line as Richard Sherman. Needs works but a great swing for the fences pick in the 5th. Grade A+

Colin Hobla LS - My only guess is that Warren told them late that he was retiring. Disappointing for us fans but there is precedence for drafting Ls even earlier. My guess is that he is all but guaranteed to make the team Very Happy Grade UNC

Keion Adams OLB - In the 7th round getting a developmental EDGE player who could, if he develops, become an Arthur Moats replacement. Grade A-

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hated this draft tbh. But I also hated last years draft and it seems to have worked out alright. I'll give it a C. The WR pick really killed it for me. Who gets cut? We have 9 noteworthy WRs now. We have to keep 6 now. DHB and Cobi are a given, but who else? Ayers who looked pretty good at the end of last year? Coates who looked great until he hurt his hand? Hunter who we just signed? Would they cut Juju if he couldn't beat out Ayers or Hunter? Doubt it. Point is, Juju might be a good player, but they gotta cut another good player to make room for him. We didn't need a WR this year.

Props to CalhounLambeau
warfelg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll expand later since I'm posting from my phone but I'm grading this draft a solid B+ with a strong shot to be an A-

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brik, I hope you're right about Warren retiring, but if he was going to retire why would he have signed his contract in February?

About the LS, I'm actually sort of excited to see him. The staff raved about him. What seperates a great long snapper from an average one? Was Warren only average? I admit to not studying opposing long snappers Laughing

Deadpulse on the sig
warfelg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOSteelers56 wrote:
brik, I hope you're right about Warren retiring, but if he was going to retire why would he have signed his contract in February?

About the LS, I'm actually sort of excited to see him. The staff raved about him. What seperates a great long snapper from an average one? Was Warren only average? I admit to not studying opposing long snappers Laughing

From what I hear is he did it for the Steelers as a fall back. His deal IIRC was 1 year with very little to nothing guaranteed.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: