Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Annual "Review/Grade the Draft Class" Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K-Ro 25

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
GangGreen420 wrote:
I hope to god this kid has seen the field by week 8. This Hackenberg thing has been beaten to death, brought back to life, and beaten to death again.

You think I am going to watch seven games with a 39 year old QB you better think again. And I better not hear that clown Bowles say " he gives us the best chance to win".

+1 McCown is just another Fitzpatrick with a different name on his jersey. #StayWoke
Rich51

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it's pretty clear that Mac wants this to be Hackenberg team. Any doubts to that had to be eliminated by not drafting a QB. i just hope Bowles doesn't go into the season with a closed mind and pulls that nonsense saying McCown gives us the best chance to win. If he was smart he'd have Hackenberg as # 1 and Petty as 2 going into the pre season. That way we get to see Hackenberg against the other teams starters. We learn nothing about McCown giving him first or second team reps. IMO playing McCown should just be used in an emergency.
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:
That's not even a question. You take the QB and worry about it later. Guys like Bradford get traded for 1st rounders so if both pan out we'll be alright moving forward.

Not only that, but think of how tough it is to even be in the position to draft a franchise QB. Remember how we missed out on Mariota and Winston in 2015? If we can draft a franchise QB, even if Hack shows promise, then we should do it.

Completely disagree. If Hack shows he can be the starter after this next season, you don't waste a 1st Round pick on a qb. Spend a mid round pick on one? Sure. You don't build a team by drafting reinforcements and creating competition. Not in the 1st 2-3 rounds atleast. You draft impact starters in Rounds 1 and 2. And if Hack plays good enough to be the starter then using a high pick on a qb is crappy team building. But you know what?.... it would be us the team that hasn't had a franchise qb in forvever and finally have a base to build a team around, to even screw that up.

There's always a chance that players regress, for whatever reason. A small sample of Hack not sucking will never be enough for me to say he is our guy. If we can draft a franchise QB next year we need to do it.

I feel like this is a moot point. If Hack plays well enough to be our guy going forward, than we wont be in the top 3 of the draft. So I'd require a trade up to get a QB more than likely. At that point do we really want to be given up future picks for in essence a backup QB?

Even if Hack comes in and plays decent, I still expect us to have a top 5 pick. This is a rebuild, we aren't going to win a lot of games next year. Our roster still has a lot of holes. I am optimistic but I'm also being a realist. IMO we should be in position to draft one of the top 4 or 5 QBs in next year's draft.

I'll make a stat line.
Hack goes out and plays all year and throws for 3,500yds 20 TDs and 15 INTs.
It would not be smart team building imo to spend a 1st rounder on a qb if your 22yr old qb puts up an optimistic season like that. Spend a 3rd rounder? Sure. But spend that 1st rounder on a LT, Edge or CB. Positions we will more than likely still need after this season.

If any of these guys live up to the hype and we are in position to draft them and we pass on them for that stat line Mac should be fired on the spot. Not even allowed to finish the draft
Jets913

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich51 wrote:
To me it's pretty clear that Mac wants this to be Hackenberg team. Any doubts to that had to be eliminated by not drafting a QB. i just hope Bowles doesn't go into the season with a closed mind and pulls that nonsense saying McCown gives us the best chance to win. If he was smart he'd have Hackenberg as # 1 and Petty as 2 going into the pre season. That way we get to see Hackenberg against the other teams starters. We learn nothing about McCown giving him first or second team reps. IMO playing McCown should just be used in an emergency.

I disagree. I believe the plan, as of right now, is to start the season with McCown as #1, Hack as #2, and Petty #3 or maybe even on the PUP depending on how fast his recovery is going. Let McCown play 3-4 games, where we will likely lose at least 2-3 of, then let Hack step in with a little less pressure. Ideally, week 4 is a home game against the Jags, which would be a good place for him to make his debut. Then week 5 is at Cleveland, which may be an ever better option. Regardless, I want Darnold on this team more than anything I've ever wanted. That may change depending on how he plays this season, but he just seems to have everything you need to be a successful QB in this league.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jets913 wrote:
Rich51 wrote:

I disagree. I believe the plan, as of right now, is to start the season with McCown as #1, Hack as #2, and Petty #3 or maybe even on the PUP depending on how fast his recovery is going. Let McCown play 3-4 games, where we will likely lose at least 2-3 of, then let Hack step in with a little less pressure. Ideally, week 4 is a home game against the Jags, which would be a good place for him to make his debut. Then week 5 is at Cleveland, which may be an ever better option. Regardless, I want Darnold on this team more than anything I've ever wanted. That may change depending on how he plays this season, but he just seems to have everything you need to be a successful QB in this league.

First...playing McCown literally does nothing for us. I pray it doesnt happen its just an asinine move.

Now to Darnold. His film is clean. He throws a nice ball. Has a solid arm, good footwork and mechanics. It looks very easy for him.

Here is what bothers me. If you compare Darnolds tape to Hackenbergs the one thing that jumps off the page to me is the time to throw. Darnold has enough time to wait for a doctors appointment in the waiting room and completes a pass to a WR who is open and clearly more athletic than his defender. No knock on Darnold. Hes doing what he is supposed to. Hes dominating in a offense that makes it able for him to dominate. Ill take nothing away.

Hackenberg typically had to make split second decisions into tight windows constantly. He typically was under pressure on 3 quarters of his throws but stood tall and delivered his throws to nowhere near as athletic receivers who didn't exactly bail him out on toucgher throws. The tape is much uglier, but so is the supporting cast. Hackenberg is nowehere near as athletic, but just enough to get out of trouble and can still throw on the run. Darnold however is very quick and can take off and run, Hack cant, but he can avoid sacks because of his size and fight off arm tackles.

In terms of passing talent, Hack has it. When he has time to set his feet and throw like Darnold does on the vast majority of his plays, Hackenberg makes some big league throws. Unfortunately those opportunities really were scarce in college and even in the film hes put up with the Jets this far.

The one advantage Hackenberg has is that he is automatically going to be in a better situation (even on the jets offense) than he was with Franklins offense at PSU(the hack years that team was bad). He can play under fire and still move the ball and still didnt turn the ball over very much considering how much he was under pressure. Hackenberg really can only improve his situation at this point, but he has to show he can and now is the time. Darnold has so far had it pretty simple in college but hes performed beautifully, but what will he show us when the talent around him isnt much greater than that of his opponents just about every week? The jury is still out on Darnold. As far as talent goes...Hackenberg can do it all. Its up to him to do it consistently.

And there is the most optimistic view on Hackenberg your going to get. Watch the tapes. His arent pretty, but there is also some big league throws in there that dont go unnoticed. Its easier to fall in love with Darnolds tape because its beautiful, its clean, everything goes right...but I want to see the tape where it doesnt consistently for a whole game like Hackenbergs showed for 2 plus seasons. There is still a reason this was the number 1 HS recruit. PLaying behind a swiss cheese line and void of supporting cast may have have made him look pretty awful, but he needs to get his reps now and get his time. If shows no signs of getting it, than great we are in an opportunity to draft someone we think is better, but the point is, there is plenty of evidence on his tape that he can still make a decent amount of plays under constant pressure. Time to see if he can do it on Sundays and a bit cleaner with more talent around him.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Bobby816

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jets913 wrote:
Rich51 wrote:

I'm not questioning anyone's fandom... but how can you call yourself a jets fan when what you're in essence saying in this is that you want Hack to play but not good enough to be our guy bc you want Darnold. You want current young talented Jets to be just ok so you can get a guy in college. Makes zero sense to me.

I hope Adams is just ok this year, so we can draft Derwin James next year.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is everyone's favorite late round pick? the one you're rooting the most for?

I really want to see Clark and Dylan make it.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
Who is everyone's favorite late round pick? the one you're rooting the most for?

McGuire. He looks like a thicker version of Powell. Looks like he can be a very good all around back.

Props to Mack on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:

McGuire bc we need youth at RB so bad.
Clark as well bc we need a CB just as bad.

Health is the issue with both of them.
If both were healthy I think McGuire would've went in the 4th Round and Clark in the 3rd possibly.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:

I really like Leggett, he fills a huge need for us and was a great value in the 5th. I am eager to see us use the TE again after not utilizing that position the last 2 years.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

If both were healthy I think McGuire would've went in the 4th Round and Clark in the 3rd possibly.

What was McGuire's health concerns?

Props to Mack on the sig
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:

Clark probably due to his upside. That length is scary and he can move laterally which is sometimes an issue for guys his size.

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
Rich51

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:

Not draft picks but I'm rooting for Harris and Leamon. Harris reminds me of Bowlware, a tough kid always around the ball. I also hear he punts and kicks. Leamon is a small school kid that is the perfect size for a LT. I heard that Donahue is a favorite of Greene so I'm hoping something good comes out of that relationship.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

I really like Leggett, he fills a huge need for us and was a great value in the 5th. I am eager to see us use the TE again after not utilizing that position the last 2 years.

All this week, ESPN U has been showing replays of the big college games from the 2016 featuring the top draft picks. Rewatch the National championship game and see the circus catches Leggett makes in the final drive for Clemson. Very impressive. Of course, OJ Howard looks awesome too.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

What was McGuire's health concerns?

Foot injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: