You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Annual "Review/Grade the Draft Class" Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickyt31

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Maye pick. Only missed 1 tackle, and only gave up 1 TD. I can't see a lot of YAC being given up with him and Adams on the field. They are both fast and close in on the ball well. I love it. Once when they adapt, teams won't be able to target the center of the field or just find Revis anymore. Prevent TE's like Dwayne Allen from killing us like he did.

Look at the Saints, you can put up all the points you want, but you're not going to win with out getting stops. Our defense allowed the 3rd highest passing rating in the league. We chop that down and actually give the offense a chance.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
xenajets

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
xenajets wrote:
I'd score the draft a solid C+/B-.

Great first round selection, Adams is a stud and fingers crossed will lead our defense for the next decade.

I'm also intrigued by the selections from round five to seven. Between Leggett and the two big cornerbacks I feel there is some potential there. I'm also liking what i see on the RB on the tape iv seen.

Can't lie and say I'm happy with double dipping at safety and then wide receiver. There was other prospects I liked but most importantly they were in different positions which I think is what a lot of fans are upset about.

Anyway it's on Macc's head and he's the Gm so we have to trust the process. Same was said about Idsik and Ryan though so il hold judgement for now. Time will tell.

I am pretty sure you are right, time will tell how we ended up in the draft. Some of our board members are high on our mid round picks, they could be right also. This kid Anderson that we picked up off the street after the draft last year intrigue me. He got open several times deep last year but Fitz couldn't get him the ball. Plus he made several catches in traffic also. Like to see him get a real shot this year. I just read in the Orlando paper this morning that teams are starting to dump players off their roster.

Yeah I really like Anderson a lot, just like Peake and Q. Add in the two new rookie receivers and it's a good young stable. All of them should push each other to be the top dog. If that happens we will reap the rewards.

I would of loved Cook and then Elflein but it's happened now so we just have to get behind the team.

One thing of note though...the same thing was said on this board after every draft and the last two regimes. It's easy to say trust the process etc but we need to see results.

Like stated by myself on different threads; the four most important positions in my opinion are quarterback, left tackle, pass rushing linebacker/end and a top cornerback. We don't have anything of real note/evidence to make us comfortable in those positions. That's the problem we face.

Sure we have two good safeties just drafted and a bunch of good young receivers but maybe those assets(draft picks) should of been used in other positions. But if Macc nails on his picks we will be celebrating a playoff calibre team in the next couple of years!

Many thanks to IDOG_det on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenajets wrote:
doumeyer wrote:
xenajets wrote:

Great first round selection, Adams is a stud and fingers crossed will lead our defense for the next decade.

I'm also intrigued by the selections from round five to seven. Between Leggett and the two big cornerbacks I feel there is some potential there. I'm also liking what i see on the RB on the tape iv seen.

Can't lie and say I'm happy with double dipping at safety and then wide receiver. There was other prospects I liked but most importantly they were in different positions which I think is what a lot of fans are upset about.

Anyway it's on Macc's head and he's the Gm so we have to trust the process. Same was said about Idsik and Ryan though so il hold judgement for now. Time will tell.

I am pretty sure you are right, time will tell how we ended up in the draft. Some of our board members are high on our mid round picks, they could be right also. This kid Anderson that we picked up off the street after the draft last year intrigue me. He got open several times deep last year but Fitz couldn't get him the ball. Plus he made several catches in traffic also. Like to see him get a real shot this year. I just read in the Orlando paper this morning that teams are starting to dump players off their roster.

Yeah I really like Anderson a lot, just like Peake and Q. Add in the two new rookie receivers and it's a good young stable. All of them should push each other to be the top dog. If that happens we will reap the rewards.

I would of loved Cook and then Elflein but it's happened now so we just have to get behind the team.

One thing of note though...the same thing was said on this board after every draft and the last two regimes. It's easy to say trust the process etc but we need to see results.

Like stated by myself on different threads; the four most important positions in my opinion are quarterback, left tackle, pass rushing linebacker/end and a top cornerback. We don't have anything of real note/evidence to make us comfortable in those positions. That's the problem we face.

Sure we have two good safeties just drafted and a bunch of good young receivers but maybe those assets(draft picks) should of been used in other positions. But if Macc nails on his picks we will be celebrating a playoff calibre team in the next couple of years!

It's optimistic but we do have pieces in place that can fill those holes you mentioned. I still stand by that Hack was better than any qb in this draft and he's still only 22, let him play before we say we don't have a qb. LT, maybe Beachum can return to his form ore injuries, I believe he's still only 27. I think Kevin Greene will make this pass rushing unit better. Also better play from the dline and a better secondary should make the pass rushers better. Top corner is te only spot with a question mark. Claiborne can't stay healthy and he's only on a 1 year deal. Skrine has been a failure here. Williams isn't anything great. Burris is te only guy we have that can have potential to be legit that's here for more than a year. But who knows... maybe we trade Sheldon for a CB.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
xenajets wrote:
doumeyer wrote:
xenajets wrote:

It's optimistic but we do have pieces in place that can fill those holes you mentioned. I still stand by that Hack was better than any qb in this draft and he's still only 22, let him play before we say we don't have a qb. LT, maybe Beachum can return to his form ore injuries, I believe he's still only 27. I think Kevin Greene will make this pass rushing unit better. Also better play from the dline and a better secondary should make the pass rushers better. Top corner is te only spot with a question mark. Claiborne can't stay healthy and he's only on a 1 year deal. Skrine has been a failure here. Williams isn't anything great. Burris is te only guy we have that can have potential to be legit that's here for more than a year. But who knows... maybe we trade Sheldon for a CB.

Agreed on the Hack point, I truly do believe in him.

Next years class seems to be heavy with O-Line and Corners as well so we could potentially add a Left Tackle, Cornerback and Nickelback. Hopefully Carpenter-Johnson-Winters-Shell prove to be a strong enough unit where we only have to find that long term franchise tackle.

If Claiborne can prove he can stay healthy then we might have an answer at CB plus we have 3 young Corners with potential, hopefully 1 or 2 blossoms and the other can at least be a special teams player and provide depth.

EDGE has been an issue for a while ever since the Gholston debacle idk what's been our issue with targeting EDGE high.

Part of me wishes we parted ways last year with Mo and threw big money at Vernon like Macc was checking in on. Would also have allowed us to move Sheldon back inside and we'd have a much more balanced, formidable front.

My biggest issue is Woody. We have brand new position coaches and a brand new OC and he needs to give them the proper time to develop these players, build this team and find an identity. For once let the slow build happen.

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
Rich51

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very optimistic Bobby, but Hackenberg does have the advantage over the guys drafted in that he's been on an NFL roster for a year. The bigger issue is letting him play and take his lumps

If Beachum plays well it would be a pleasant surprise. I like Leamon and probably would have drafted him before more than half the OTs that were drafted. If he adjusts to the league he might make a run at the LT position by the end of the year

I do have hope that Greene will help Jenkins as a pass rusher. If Richardson stays and plays OLB, Greene might also be able to give him some pointers. Greene coaching Richardson might be a sight to see.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
Next years class seems to be heavy with O-Line and Corners as well so we could potentially add a Left Tackle, Cornerback and Nickelback. Hopefully Carpenter-Johnson-Winters-Shell prove to be a strong enough unit where we only have to find that long term franchise tackle.

Not to mention it's probably going to be top heavy at the QB spot, and we should have a top ten pick next year. I'm hopeful for Hack, but if we are in position to get a Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, or Josh Rosen then we need to pull the trigger.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

Not to mention it's probably going to be top heavy at the QB spot, and we should have a top ten pick next year. I'm hopeful for Hack, but if we are in position to get a Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, or Josh Rosen then we need to pull the trigger.

What would you do if Hackenberg plays well but we only win 6 games and pick 5th

Say he got 3,500 yards, 20 TDs, 10 INTs, 60% completion.

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

What would you do if Hackenberg plays well but we only win 6 games and pick 5th

Say he got 3,500 yards, 20 TDs, 10 INTs, 60% completion.

I don't think Hack's stats will be that generous, and it depends on which QB is available. But if it was me, I would be inclined to take a QB and let them battle in 2018. Then hopefully we would have a similar situation to what the Pats have now with Brady and Garrapolo, only we could actually dangle one of them as trade bait.

All that said, it's extremely difficult to even find one franchise QB, so us potentially finding two seems very unlikely. But hey, it would make up for all the years we had abysmal QB play.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Hack put up numbers like that, I would think he locks the position given his age and it basically being a rookie season for him. Those numbers are similar to Carr's in his rookie year. So I'm good with it. I would probably look at LT's next season.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not even a question. You take the QB and worry about it later. Guys like Bradford get traded for 1st rounders so if both pan out we'll be alright moving forward.

Props to Mack on the sig
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
That's not even a question. You take the QB and worry about it later. Guys like Bradford get traded for 1st rounders so if both pan out we'll be alright moving forward.

Not only that, but think of how tough it is to even be in the position to draft a franchise QB. Remember how we missed out on Mariota and Winston in 2015? If we can draft a franchise QB, even if Hack shows promise, then we should do it.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Hack put up those numbers wed certainly have something to be excited about. I doubt he does more so that this organization is run terribly, and coached terribly and Bowles will go with McCown no matter what the history says or how well Hack might even play in preseason.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:

Not only that, but think of how tough it is to even be in the position to draft a franchise QB. Remember how we missed out on Mariota and Winston in 2015? If we can draft a franchise QB, even if Hack shows promise, then we should do it.

That's why I put those numbers. If I put average numbers like 2500 yards, 1:1 TD:INT ratio and 55% completion of course you go for the QB.

In the case I presented before I'd either trade back for a monster haul and if I don't get that then I take the QB and go from there.

Only thing is it may cost us a Franchise Left Tackle or EDGE in the process.

Quote:

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:

That's why I put those numbers. If I put average numbers like 2500 yards, 1:1 TD:INT ratio and 55% completion of course you go for the QB.

In the case I presented before I'd either trade back for a monster haul and if I don't get that then I take the QB and go from there.

I am a big believer in trading down, when you get the correct value. So even if hack put up 4000 30/12 63% I am taking a QB. Mac would trade down to the bottom of the 1st and acquire a 4 and 6 and gloat about how he got more picks to fill the roster and that there just wasn't enough value at #1 overall.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:

I am a big believer in trading down, when you get the correct value. So even if hack put up 4000 30/12 63% I am taking a QB. Mac would trade down to the bottom of the 1st and acquire a 4 and 6 and gloat about how he got more picks to fill the roster and that there just wasn't enough value at #1 overall.

Laughing Laughing Laughing okay that was actually funny

Quote:

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: