Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers UDFA Signings Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CentralFC

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
Read an article on SI that talks about the latest twist in the free-for-all signing period for UDFA's
Each team is allotted $98k to sign these FA's; the NFL wanted to make it a level playing field. But that's not much cash when its divided by 10+ players

the 49ers and other teams are offering to guarantee a portion of their 1st year salary IF they make the 53 or the PS.

That's quite a bargaining chip.
And I'm sure it will escalate until they bump up against the signing bonus allocated for the guys who got drafted.

San Fran., you enjoy that bargaining chip. We'll enjoy the pedigree.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB has a heck of a track record with the UDFA's, but $100k guaranteed has to be rather enticing to a roster-bubble UDFA
He'll also have a better chance of sticking on the depleted roster in SF

GB would be hard pressed to make that guarantee, but they have boosted PS pay for guys they wanted to keep. I think one of them they even gave vet minimum $$ instead of PS pay
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like the SF strategy here is largely an acknowledgement that a guy who can't make the 49ers as an undrafted free agent probably isn't going to get a lot of long looks from the rest of the NFL, whereas when teams go sniffing around the practice squads of other teams for guys to sign, they're going to start with whichever teams have the deepest rosters.

So as a UDFA signing with the 49ers you're taking a risk, because even though you have a reasonable chance of making that roster because it's got plenty of holes, if you don't for whatever reason that might be the end of their NFL dream.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
GB has a heck of a track record with the UDFA's, but $100k guaranteed has to be rather enticing to a roster-bubble UDFA

GB would be hard pressed to make that guarantee, but they have boosted PS pay for guys they wanted to keep. I think one of them they even gave vet minimum $$ instead of PS pay

They can make that same guarantee, it just doesn't come with as much security as say San Francisco. Look at it this way, I'll use Jerod Evans as an example. Both Green Bay and San Francisco want to sign him and they're offering similar deals, why would Evans choose Green Bay ahead of San Francisco? Aaron Rodgers and Brett Hundley are guaranteed roster spots, and Joe Callahan has a year in the system and probably more likely to be the 3rd QB. On the other side, the 49ers currently have Brian Hoyer as their starting QB, Matt Barkley as their backup, and C.J. Beathard as their 3rd QB. Seems a LOT less daunting to make San Francisco's roster than Green Bay's. And that goes for other positions.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:

They can make that same guarantee, it just doesn't come with as much security as say San Francisco. Look at it this way, I'll use Jerod Evans as an example. Both Green Bay and San Francisco want to sign him and they're offering similar deals, why would Evans choose Green Bay ahead of San Francisco? Aaron Rodgers and Brett Hundley are guaranteed roster spots, and Joe Callahan has a year in the system and probably more likely to be the 3rd QB. On the other side, the 49ers currently have Brian Hoyer as their starting QB, Matt Barkley as their backup, and C.J. Beathard as their 3rd QB. Seems a LOT less daunting to make San Francisco's roster than Green Bay's. And that goes for other positions.

And it works in our favor. Congratulations on using the most extreme example in professional football. Really.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avert your eyes if you are the thenthitive types that can't handle Bob
UDFA profiles, comments and scout quotes from mcginn @ JSO

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/05/04/profiles-packers-undrafted-free-agents/101287344/?hootPostID=ac005136520c141b50072a884f6b1775

History suggests 1-2 of these gents will make the roster, but 2017 is gonna be a tough nut to crack
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thenthitive?
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
And it works in our favor. Congratulations on using the most extreme example in professional football. Really.

I was trying to use something that pretty straight forward. I'm more knowledgeable of the 49ers and Packers QB situations than I am say DL.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas A and M WR Speedy Noil is a tryout player according to a call in from a reporter at practice. Wearing #81.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
Texas A and M WR Speedy Noil is a tryout player according to a call in from a reporter at practice. Wearing #81.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_E4W1cV0AAyp3v.jpg:large

This list was posted in the Green Bay Roster Post Draft thread.

Noil, Stanback both stand out among the tryout guys.

I'd also consider signing McManus and giving him a shot at RB in TC.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I don't know which thread it was, but people were calling somebody the next Colt Lyeria. He literally just escaped from prison today.
vegas492

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
Lol, I don't know which thread it was, but people were calling somebody the next Colt Lyeria. He literally just escaped from prison today.

He is obviously heading to camp. Smile
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
skibrett15

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
Thenthitive?

Do you have a lisp?
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:

I was trying to use something that pretty straight forward. I'm more knowledgeable of the 49ers and Packers QB situations than I am say DL.

Gentlemen,

The UDFAs that find themselves being wooed by different teams have to weigh all sorts of factors. Yes, San Fran probably has a depleted roster ripe for improvement, giving UDFAs more shots at making the team than they might get elsewhere. Green Bay has few roster spots open, but a reputation for giving several UDFAs a spot on the roster or practice squad every year. Miami has girls in bikinis.

Thumhow they have to dethide what ith betht for them.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:

I honestly considered making a thread asking if we should sign him now that he's out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: