Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Minnesota Vikings 2017 Draft Class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purplexing

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginia Viking wrote:
The only player we drafted that I know anything about is Cook. And, what I know about him doesn't include how he plays football!

Unlike the old cliche, it appears that too many (bad) broth(as) spoiled the Cook. Smile
husker_vikes3

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedRider wrote:
Robbroy45 wrote:
Dylan Utter, OL, Nebraska - https://twitter.com/Sean_Callahan/status/858469031669633024
Pathetic.

Robbroy45 wrote:
Terrell Newby, RB, Nebraska - https://twitter.com/TerrellNewby/status/858465169856491520
Useless.

Oh.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the thumbnails on each signed UDFA:

Wes Lunt, QB, Illinois – At 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, he has NFL quarterback size, but injuries have been a drawback to his career. He started five games at Oklahoma State before transferring to Illinois following injuries that cost him the starting job. Missed four games last year with a back injury, but over his three years with the Illini took good care of the football, throwing 36 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

Terrell Newby, RB, Nebraska – Compactly built at 5-foot-9, 210 pounds, he started 12 games in 2016, averaging 4.6 yards per carry and scoring seven touchdowns on the ground. Averaged 5.2 yards in 2015 with six touchdowns. Added 308 yards and two touchdowns receiving over the last years.

Josiah Price, TE, Michigan State – Just missed an invite to the NFL Scouting Combine after having a career-high 38 catches for 387 yards and five touchdowns as a senior. His 21 career touchdown catches were the most in Michigan State history for a tight end. The 6-foot-4, 249-pounder was considered a late-round prospect or high priority free agent.

R.J. Shelton, WR, Michigan State – The 5-foot-10, 200-pound receiver led the Spartan in receptions (53), receiving yards (789) and tied for touchdown catches with five. He had eight plays of 50 yards or more, according to NFLDraftScout.com, and has kick-return ability.

Aviante Collins, OT, TCU – Dubbed a fifth- or sixth-round value by NFL.com, he played both right and left tackle for the Horned Frogs. A back injury derailed his junior season, but he started every game at right tackle in 2016. Is 6-foot-4, 295 pounds.

Nick Fett, OT, Iowa State – Earned All-Big 12 second-team honors in 2016 after starting his career as a walk-on and eventually working into a starting role in 2016 for an offense that averaged 421.6 yards per game, the fifth-best total in school history. The 6-foot-7, 310-pounder started at three different positions last year.

Caleb Kidder, DE, Montana – He has NFL defensive end size at 6-foot-4 and 269 pounds and finished his career at Montana tied for 11th on the school’s career list of tackles for losses with 29½. Kidder had 55 total tackles in 2016, but had 92 in 2015 when playing defensive tackle.

Sam McCaskill, DE, Boise State – The 6-3, 246-pounder ranked fourth in the Mountain West conference with 13 tackles-for-loss and tied for eighth with 5½ sacks. Had 48 tackles to add to his senior resume and knocked down five passes at the line of scrimmage, along with blocking a field goal attempt.

Tashawn Bower, DE, LSU – Would be light (250 pounds) if the Vikings want to keep him at defensive end or taller (6-5) than most if they move him to linebacker. He started only seven games over four seasons, but the Vikings turned Danielle Hunter into more in the NFL than he was at LSU, too. Three of his 5.5 sacks last year came in the final game, the Citrus Bowl against Louisville.

Dylan Bradley, DL, Southern Mississippi – At 6-foot-1, 265 pounds, he doesn’t have prototypical height to play defensive end in the NFL, but he played every position on the Southern Miss defensive line. NFL.com rated him as a sixth- or seventh-round prospect, saying toughness is his calling card.
Shaan Washington, LB, Texas A&M – He registered 95 tackles and 2½ sacks in his final season at A&M while forcing two fumbles. Listed at 6-foot-3 and 240 pounds.

Eric Wilson, LB, Cincinnati – The 6-foot-1, 230-pounder is considered an outside linebacker, posting double-digit tackles in eight games, including 16 against East Carolina. He had 100 tackles in back-to-back seasons.

Horace Richardson, CB, SMU – The 5-foot-11, 199-pound cornerback has kickoff return ability and finished tied for third in the NCAA and led the American Athletic Conference with six interceptions, and was tied for second in the NCAA with 215 interception return yards.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/vikings/story/1775339-vikings-agree-to-terms-with-13-rookies

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite thing about this class is that we really prioritized running the ball, and stopping the run. The first two picks (Cook / Elflein) will have a huge impact in running the ball, and the next two picks (Johnson / Gedeon) will be big assets against the run.

With Bradford + Diggs + Thielen + Rudolph we should have a very solid WCO passing game, so being able to actually run the ball will be huge in key situations (redzone and 3rd-and-short).

On the defensive side we have a great secondary and pass rush, so adding a DT that can stop the run and a run-stuffing LB were the biggest needs. Too often teams were able to grind away on the ground and wear out the defense.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
My favorite thing about this class is that we really prioritized running the ball, and stopping the run. The first two picks (Cook / Elflein) will have a huge impact in running the ball, and the next two picks (Johnson / Gedeon) will be big assets against the run.

With Bradford + Diggs + Thielen + Rudolph we should have a very solid WCO passing game, so being able to actually run the ball will be huge in key situations (redzone and 3rd-and-short).

On the defensive side we have a great secondary and pass rush, so adding a DT that can stop the run and a run-stuffing LB were the biggest needs. Too often teams were able to grind away on the ground and wear out the defense.

If all four of the top picks are able to stay healthy and live up to their respective billings, it could be the difference between 8-8 or 11-5. This additions will allow them to play their game

However it is a bit of a tall order in all honesty.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
When does the rookie minicamp start?

http://www.vikings.com/schedule/key-dates.html

5/6 to 5/9 OR 5/13 to 5/16

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
Snake Plissken

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Here are the thumbnails on each signed UDFA:

Wes Lunt, QB, Illinois – At 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, he has NFL quarterback size, but injuries have been a drawback to his career. He started five games at Oklahoma State before transferring to Illinois following injuries that cost him the starting job. Missed four games last year with a back injury, but over his three years with the Illini took good care of the football, throwing 36 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

Terrell Newby, RB, Nebraska – Compactly built at 5-foot-9, 210 pounds, he started 12 games in 2016, averaging 4.6 yards per carry and scoring seven touchdowns on the ground. Averaged 5.2 yards in 2015 with six touchdowns. Added 308 yards and two touchdowns receiving over the last years.

Josiah Price, TE, Michigan State – Just missed an invite to the NFL Scouting Combine after having a career-high 38 catches for 387 yards and five touchdowns as a senior. His 21 career touchdown catches were the most in Michigan State history for a tight end. The 6-foot-4, 249-pounder was considered a late-round prospect or high priority free agent.

R.J. Shelton, WR, Michigan State – The 5-foot-10, 200-pound receiver led the Spartan in receptions (53), receiving yards (789) and tied for touchdown catches with five. He had eight plays of 50 yards or more, according to NFLDraftScout.com, and has kick-return ability.

Aviante Collins, OT, TCU – Dubbed a fifth- or sixth-round value by NFL.com, he played both right and left tackle for the Horned Frogs. A back injury derailed his junior season, but he started every game at right tackle in 2016. Is 6-foot-4, 295 pounds.

Nick Fett, OT, Iowa State – Earned All-Big 12 second-team honors in 2016 after starting his career as a walk-on and eventually working into a starting role in 2016 for an offense that averaged 421.6 yards per game, the fifth-best total in school history. The 6-foot-7, 310-pounder started at three different positions last year.

Caleb Kidder, DE, Montana – He has NFL defensive end size at 6-foot-4 and 269 pounds and finished his career at Montana tied for 11th on the school’s career list of tackles for losses with 29½. Kidder had 55 total tackles in 2016, but had 92 in 2015 when playing defensive tackle.

Sam McCaskill, DE, Boise State – The 6-3, 246-pounder ranked fourth in the Mountain West conference with 13 tackles-for-loss and tied for eighth with 5½ sacks. Had 48 tackles to add to his senior resume and knocked down five passes at the line of scrimmage, along with blocking a field goal attempt.

Tashawn Bower, DE, LSU – Would be light (250 pounds) if the Vikings want to keep him at defensive end or taller (6-5) than most if they move him to linebacker. He started only seven games over four seasons, but the Vikings turned Danielle Hunter into more in the NFL than he was at LSU, too. Three of his 5.5 sacks last year came in the final game, the Citrus Bowl against Louisville.

Dylan Bradley, DL, Southern Mississippi – At 6-foot-1, 265 pounds, he doesn’t have prototypical height to play defensive end in the NFL, but he played every position on the Southern Miss defensive line. NFL.com rated him as a sixth- or seventh-round prospect, saying toughness is his calling card.
Shaan Washington, LB, Texas A&M – He registered 95 tackles and 2½ sacks in his final season at A&M while forcing two fumbles. Listed at 6-foot-3 and 240 pounds.

Eric Wilson, LB, Cincinnati – The 6-foot-1, 230-pounder is considered an outside linebacker, posting double-digit tackles in eight games, including 16 against East Carolina. He had 100 tackles in back-to-back seasons.

Horace Richardson, CB, SMU – The 5-foot-11, 199-pound cornerback has kickoff return ability and finished tied for third in the NCAA and led the American Athletic Conference with six interceptions, and was tied for second in the NCAA with 215 interception return yards.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/vikings/story/1775339-vikings-agree-to-terms-with-13-rookies

Collins is an intriguing prospect. Has good athleticism (4.8 40) and strength (34 reps), but doesn't have prototypical Tackle size at 6-4 295 with 33 inch arms. There are some undersized players who have succeeded at T. Maybe a practice squad developmental G.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the Vikings 2017 Draft Class (all 11 players), the UDFAs signed, the FAs signed before the draft, and 2016 roster players currently under contract - who may stay or leave after 2017, say about the potential positions that need to be addressed in 2018?
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
What does the Vikings 2017 Draft Class (all 11 players), the UDFAs signed, the FAs signed before the draft, and 2016 roster players currently under contract - who may stay or leave after 2017, say about the potential positions that need to be addressed in 2018?

OL and DL need more reinforcements, and QB could be a question-mark with no one currently under contract past 2017.

2018 potential free agents in bold...

QB (2): Bradford | Keenum
RB (3): Cook | Murray | McKinnon
TE (3): Rudolph | Morgan | Hodges
WR (6): Diggs | Thielen | Wright | Treadwell | Adams | Coley
OT (4): Reiff | Remmers | Clemmings | Sirles
OG (4): Boone | Berger | Isidora | Kerin
OC (2): Elflein | Easton

DE (4): Griffen | Robison | Hunter | Odenigbo
DT (5): Joseph | T. Johnson | Stephen | Jones | J. Johnson
LB (6): Barr | Kendricks | Gedeon | Brothers | Robinson | Lee
CB (6): Rhodes | Waynes | Newman | Alexander | Sherels | Price
S (5): Smith | Sendejo | Harris | Kearse | Tocho

SP (3): Forbath | Symmank | McDermott
Injured (2): Bridgewater | Floyd

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the Draft is over, the priority needs to be extending Rhodes and Bradford.

After those two guys, there really aren't any priority players. McKninnon, Sirles, Stephen, Sherels, etc. would be nice to have back, but we aren't going to be unable to replace them.

Bridgewater is the real wildcard obviously.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Purplexing wrote:

OL and DL need more reinforcements, and QB could be a question-mark with no one currently under contract past 2017.

2018 potential free agents in bold...

QB (2): Bradford | Keenum
RB (3): Cook | Murray | McKinnon
TE (3): Rudolph | Morgan | Hodges
WR (6): Diggs | Thielen | Wright | Treadwell | Adams | Coley
OT (4): Reiff | Remmers | Clemmings | Sirles
OG (4): Boone | Berger | Isidora | Kerin
OC (2): Elflein | Easton

DE (4): Griffen | Robison | Hunter | Odenigbo
DT (5): Joseph | T. Johnson | Stephen | Jones | J. Johnson
LB (6): Barr | Kendricks | Gedeon | Brothers | Robinson | Lee
CB (6): Rhodes | Waynes | Newman | Alexander | Sherels | Price
S (5): Smith | Sendejo | Harris | Kearse | Tocho

SP (3): Forbath | Symmank | McDermott
Injured (2): Bridgewater | Floyd

Going off the original question and using this as the template I'd say this:

QB will need to be addressed whether that be a Bradford extension, a Teddy extension, a FA brought in or the drafting of a QB

RB is set reguardless of what happens with McKinnon unless Minnesota decides to move on from both Jet & Murray which I don't view as likely

WR Will need to be addressed unless Treadwell explodes onto the scene. Diggs hasn't proven to be able to stay healthy & if Treadwell busts(50/50) we would be left with just Thielen, Diggs & Wright as proven WR's Wright isn't a WR that should prevent a team from upgrading. The rookies are rookies and late round ones at that. Let them develop but if the chance presents itself go after a big name WR whether that be Alshon in FA or Calvin Ridley in the draft.

OT will need to be addressed reguardless of how well Remmers and/or Reiff play. Their play could however decide how early that need gets addressed. I don't believe it should be addressed in FA though.

OG also needs to be addressed, this should be Berger's last season & the team could look for a younger OG to grow with them and having a guy ready to step in and take over for Boone when they decide to move on would be idealistic.

DT will depend upon how the team feels about T Johnson & Shamar Stephen as pointed out theyre both in their last year. J. Johnson & D.Jones play will also factor into this but reguardless Jones right now is only on a 1yr deal and Joesph & JJ are the only 2 under contract.

LB Is my darkhorse need I'm Hoping I'm wrong on this one but I still feel LB is a need maybe Gedeon changes that but I'm not holding my breathe for a guy a lot of people did a collective "who" for when he was selected. Theres also the chance E.Robinson could step into that role, guess we'll find out more as the season plays out.

CB is probably the last position I could see being addressed in '18 if you don't count ST. In all honesty this is most likely Newman's last year. This need could be pushed to the draft depending upon how Waynes & Alexander develop. I think I feel comfortable with a Rhodes/Waynes starting combo but I'm still unsure about Alexander as the NCB. I'm not sure who'll be available yet but I think if Alexander fails as the NCB I'd look to bring in a FA & draft a later round NCB.

This is how I see the early needs though.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to the interviews with Ben Gedeon, Elijah Lee, and Rodney Adams today on KFAN. They all seem like great kids.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
TENINCH

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really starting to love Stacy Coley. Spent so much time rooting against him i forgot how good he was.
TENINCH

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really starting to love Stacy Coley. Spent so much time rooting against him i forgot how good he was.
Ozzy

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikings Draft class: Considering they did not have a 1st round pick this draft went really well and if they hit on a few of the later picks it will be a pretty successful draft. Hopefully they can produce unlike last years class which was ridiculously unproductive. Their 6th and 7th round picks were all really good pickups I think of some very talented players.

2(9) Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
Not considering the off the field issues, Cook on the field played like the #1 RB in the draft by far. Did not time as fast as most thought so that hurt him but on the field kid is a stud. If he can stay healthy he will make us forget about Adrian real quick.

3(6) Pat Elflein C Ohio State
Nice pickup late for sure, very tough kid and has played at a high level for a long time. Athletically limited but for where they got him very solid, also nice considering he was one of just a few offensive lineman that had a solid career in college coming into the draft.

4(2) Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa
Great value again, very good inside pass rusher from the DT spot, fine athlete as well. Will be a great developmental DT and possible starter down the road.

4(14) Ben Gedeon ILB Michigan
A lot better athlete at the combine than one thought helped him a lot in the draft. Solid linebacker who is a good solid player, gives good effort and could see time on special teams possibly.

5(27) Rodney Adams WR South Florida
Has good big play ability but not sure he is a star. Good run after the catch athlete but will see.

5(37) Danny Isidora OG Miami (FL)
Was never a huge fan of his, struggles in pass protection and is not a great athlete, solid run blocker though who is tough. Interesting player but will see if he can stick on the roster

6(17) Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
Another absolute steal, played legit out wide receiver not in the slot in college, flashed at TE as well of course. Huge size and nice speed, hopefully he can take to coaching and become more of a HB TE type than WR, he could be a matchup nightmare.

7(1) Stacy Coley WR Miami (FL)
Flashed big time ability but never really put it all together at Miami. Is arguably a bigger player overall than Adams at WR they picked earlier. Has good feet and hands, will see how he does.

7(2) Ifeadi Odenigbo DE Northwestern:
Had a great senior season and played a lot bigger than he is. Just crushed the pocket and got consistent pressure game in and game out. Could develop into a nice rotation DE. Really like his strength and bull rush ability on the edge.

7(14) Elijah Lee OLB Kansas State
I really liked him heading into the draft. Extremely productive linebacker who can flat out run. Needs to get a little stronger but his ability to cover in space is extremely interesting and he is a great pickup. I thought he would got a lot higher than the 7th round.

7(27) Jack Tocho CB North Carolina State
Physically he is a thick strong corner, nice athlete, had a higher upside as a younger prospect but did not continue to improve. Still a nice talent and fine get in the 7th. If coached up could be a decent backup player possibly.

UDFA: Usually I think they do better getting UDFA, this group is not great but some ok players. Not as good as years past though.

Aviante Collins, OT, TCU
Just on his athletic numbers alone he is an impressive OT prospect. Ran the fastest 40 of any OL at the combine and apparently was the fastest 40 by a OL since 2013. That alone makes him very interesting and is arguably the best UDFA they got most likely. Has a lot to work with

Wes Lunt, QB, Illinois
Liked him in college, love his size and arm but never was able to stay healthy. That is his biggest problem and why he went undrafted. When he was on the field showed nice touch with a good arm.

Josiah Price, TE, Michigan State
Ok TE, nothing great but has really good hands and is good in short passing routes. Really has to show and improve as a blocker to make the roster though I think.

R.J. Shelton, WR, Michigan State
Basically just a special teams guy I assume, did improve on a lot on the offensive end though this past year.

Eric Wilson, LB, Cincinnati
Very fast linebacker who can cover ground quickly. Big thick kid, is very built for his size and at times as a tackling machine. Really like him as a player, probably the second best UDFA they got.

Shaan Washington LB Texas A&M
Really showed up a lot this year for A&M but as the year went on his production went down. Decent prospect and at times can be a athletic playmaker

So will see how it goes, still cannot get over they trade some much away last year for freaking Sam Bradford....Uhhhhh the guy is the dorkiest most uncharismatic leader and comes off as kind of a [inappropriate/removed]. With the Vikings not picking up the option on Bridgewater is not a good sign, Teddy was an actual team leader unlike a certain someone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: