Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 6.15 (199) C Chase Rollier, Wyoming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RSkinGM


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 5862
Location: Richmond, Va
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
It's funny you bring up need, when that's the reason you wanted Johnson too.


Well, yes.

Taking Dorian Johnson over Samaje Perine would have been taking better value AND bigger need. Taking Samaje Perine or Marlon Mack over Montae Nicholson would also have been taking better value AND bigger need.

Keep in mind, in a draft that broke the record for the most in-draft traded picks at 38, Chase Roullier was the ONLY person the Redskins traded for and they traded up for this kid.
Maybe Perine doesn't last until Nicholson's pick and they obviously liked Perine. I think he's a better version of Morris & Kelley.

They must have liked Roullier and thought someone else would draft him before their 6th round pick and for good reason from what I've seen of him and read about him.


I read the Giants were going to take Roullier so they jumped them to grab him.. How they would have known that is anybody's guess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DCRED


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 5586
Location: USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
Kory retired and John Sullivan is a Charger. We only have one center on the roster. Center was a huge need!


1. I would have rather focused on upgrading the starting left guard position as opposed to the backup center.
2. There were better options available at center when we took this kid.
Lauvao isn't great, but he's a passable starter at LG and we have Kouandijo already as a reserve guard. A reserve Center was clearly a bigger need. And unless we were going to take a guard in round 1 or 2 in this draft, I don't think we would have found a starting guard day 1 in this draft.


This is Lauvao's last year under contract, and Kouandjio's entering his 3rd of 4 (and hasn't really shown much to date). Saying that we had a bigger need for a backup center is kind of silly. You can find UDFA centers.

However, given that we screwed the pooch in the 4th round and panicked in the 5th, we kind of forced our hand here in the 6th.

When it comes to EITHER line: If the team has their eye on a Lineman and they want to get him in the 6th or 7th, I'm not ever going to complain, even if they swap a pick or whatever to get him. These late round picks are such a gamble anyways that I'd rather them get someone they have done due diligence on and think there's good reason to Draft him. Heck, we got that kid who was a former TE last year and LeRibeus in the 3rd ( Embarassed ). Moving around and getting a C you like in the 6th is AOK with me considering the crapshoot.

Hindsight can make alot of picks look like we "screwed the pooch". But why do you say we panicked?
_________________
Don't Feed The Trolls!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 80935
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
It's funny you bring up need, when that's the reason you wanted Johnson too.


Well, yes.

Taking Dorian Johnson over Samaje Perine would have been taking better value AND bigger need. Taking Samaje Perine or Marlon Mack over Montae Nicholson would also have been taking better value AND bigger need.

Keep in mind, in a draft that broke the record for the most in-draft traded picks at 38, Chase Roullier was the ONLY person the Redskins traded for and they traded up for this kid.
Maybe Perine doesn't last until Nicholson's pick and they obviously liked Perine. I think he's a better version of Morris & Kelley.

They must have liked Roullier and thought someone else would draft him before their 6th round pick and for good reason from what I've seen of him and read about him.


I read the Giants were going to take Roullier so they jumped them to grab him.. How they would have known that is anybody's guess.
Makes sense. They talk to other teams during the draft about trades and what have you. They probably had heard from another team that the Giants wanted to do that so they beat them to him.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 26894
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
It's funny you bring up need, when that's the reason you wanted Johnson too.


Well, yes.

Taking Dorian Johnson over Samaje Perine would have been taking better value AND bigger need. Taking Samaje Perine or Marlon Mack over Montae Nicholson would also have been taking better value AND bigger need.

Keep in mind, in a draft that broke the record for the most in-draft traded picks at 38, Chase Roullier was the ONLY person the Redskins traded for and they traded up for this kid.
Maybe Perine doesn't last until Nicholson's pick and they obviously liked Perine.


Hence why I put Marlon Mack as an alternative.

Quote:
I think he's a better version of Morris & Kelley.


As I said previously, he feels like a rich man's version of Kelley. Same sort of RB: will grind out yards, won't lose much dancing, but not going to get you much more than what is blocked. Not sure why we drafted a guy who we already had ... of course, we may have also done that with Anderson, but *shrug*.

Quote:
They must have liked Roullier and thought someone else would draft him before their 6th round pick and for good reason from what I've seen of him and read about him.


Maybe. Again, center was a less of an issue than guard. Yes, we didn't have a backup center, but a guy can be acquired to fill that hole if necessary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 26894
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
Kory retired and John Sullivan is a Charger. We only have one center on the roster. Center was a huge need!


1. I would have rather focused on upgrading the starting left guard position as opposed to the backup center.
2. There were better options available at center when we took this kid.
Lauvao isn't great, but he's a passable starter at LG and we have Kouandijo already as a reserve guard. A reserve Center was clearly a bigger need. And unless we were going to take a guard in round 1 or 2 in this draft, I don't think we would have found a starting guard day 1 in this draft.


This is Lauvao's last year under contract, and Kouandjio's entering his 3rd of 4 (and hasn't really shown much to date). Saying that we had a bigger need for a backup center is kind of silly. You can find UDFA centers.

However, given that we screwed the pooch in the 4th round and panicked in the 5th, we kind of forced our hand here in the 6th.

When it comes to EITHER line: If the team has their eye on a Lineman and they want to get him in the 6th or 7th, I'm not ever going to complain, even if they swap a pick or whatever to get him. These late round picks are such a gamble anyways that I'd rather them get someone they have done due diligence on and think there's good reason to Draft him. Heck, we got that kid who was a former TE last year and LeRibeus in the 3rd ( Embarassed ). Moving around and getting a C you like in the 6th is AOK with me considering the crapshoot.

Hindsight can make alot of picks look like we "screwed the pooch". But why do you say we panicked?


This is my view from the outside. Let's start with the lay of the land going into the draft:
- We signed Jordan Reed to a long term deal in 2016.
- In free agency of 2017, we re-signed Vernon Davis to a three year deal.
- We have Niles Paul and Derek Carrier under contract for this season.

Since Paul and Carrier will both be free agents after 2017, a smart GM might be worried about the long term depth at tight end, especially given Reed's injury history and Davis' age (he's 33). So, I can see the team putting TE on the target list.

So, what happened in the draft? Jonathan Allen inexplicably fell to us at 17, so passing on him would have been insanity. Between Allen and Anderson, the top five tight ends went off the board (Howard @ 19, Njoku @ 31, Engram @ 23, Everett @ 44, Shaheen @ 45). The next TE to be taken was Jonnu Smith @ 100. We had higher needs and values, so we went with Anderson (we'll see) and Moreau (like it).

That meant that Day 3 was where the depth TEs would be (as we would expect), but with a lot of talent that shouldn't be there (as we might not have). So we take Perine (a decent pick, but essentially what we already had in RB) and Nicholson (early looks to be a massive reach).

Had we really felt that backup/longer term starter TE was a need, we should have taken a guy like Jake Butt or George Kittle instead of Nicholson. But we figured that we'd be okay since they were all falling ...

until the top of the 5th, when Butt, Kittle, and Jordan Leggett all went in the first seven picks. At this point, I feel like they scrambled around and took the best remaining in Sprinkle, but passed up on better value/need propositions (Isaac Asiata or Anthony Walker Jr.).

*shrug* I'm just a guy and it's just my opinion. Overall, as I said elsewhere, day 1 was a dream, day 2 was solid, but by and large day 3 was a bust. Now maybe that's just in comparison to the first two days, and if those picks come up roses, then it won't matter on the back end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 80935
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3 was largely about taking special teams guys except for Perine and Roullier. The guys we took are expected to be special guys right away that could develop into starters in a few years, but we wanted athletes who could excel at special teams.

I certainly wish we had taken guy's like King, Walker, Butt, Qualls, Ford amongst others but they went with athletes who would be special teams guys right away. I don't think it was a bust for the day. They may have found a starting running back, a good back up safety, future starting center, a starting quality TE (or at least a good back up), a slot corner and a dime LB/special teams ace.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group