You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Instant Impressions: Grade the Eagles Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact remains that there was only so much we could of done. With out big trade bait(extra picks o tradable players) your a sitting duck and have to make the best out of the draft and fill any holes you can.

3 good picks to fills holes all over both sides of the ball is going to leave some people not happy but again it's the best they could do with what they had at there finger tips.

You get better over multiple drafts , not one.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles $5$ wrote:
I really don't get why some people don't like our draft... I think we did really good. I would put it in the top 10 as the best one in the league. I think we addressed a lot of areas, and got really good value as well for the most part. There is always pick we don't like and disagree with, but overall its really solid IMO.

Why should all our opinions be the same?

People watch tape and see different things. That is a big reason why it is fun to discuss the draft.

Besides, I don't think there is even a lot of people here who dislike the draft. It seems most people thought it was okay or good.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMcCoy wrote:
Idon't think there is even a lot of people here who dislike the draft. It seems most people thought it was okay or good.

Seems the average of the opinions our veteran posters would be a B.

Wait till summmmma is here and we're all boozin and smoking Dingos grass and talking smack to Giants fans about how Barnett is going to murder them. It will be a B+ by then.

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a B for the draft sounds about right.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow My biggest takeaway is that Douglas wants "football guys" and it appears that he doesn't put that much stock into athleticism.

Our draft class was definitely one of the least athletic in the league.

It seems apparent that Douglas values production, toughness, intelligence, and work ethic over athleticism. I'm pretty sure I heard him bring up those things quite a bit in the press conferences. He wants what you many call "football guys".

Those other things are all very important, but I don't really like how much he seems to not value athleticism and measurables.

Granted, Douglas really only has one draft under his belt, so this might end up just being an anomaly. I kind of doubt it though. Just the way he talks makes him seem like a "just watch the tape" kind of guy. I hope that this doesn't end up being the case, because just like putting too much stock into measurables and testing numbers can get you burned. I also think not putting much stock into those things can also get you burned. We definitely cared about those things under Chip Kelly and also when Roseman was doing the drafting. So, hopefully Douglas and Roseman going forward will find a good marriage between tape/intangibles and measurables/testing numbers.

It is definitely something that I'm interested in following with future draft classes to see if its a trend or not.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw something where athleticism matters early in the draft but later in the draft you go by tape. No matter how good your work outs are it doesnt mean a thing if you suck at football.

Which is why early you go tape and athleticism and later you go tape.

With that in mind maybe the only questionable pick is barnett. He has the tape for sure but might not have the elite physical traits to live up to that spot. Everyone else is probably fine. I mean who else are you going to get at pick 100 or later that is going to jump routes like rasul douglas? no one?
Rock-Stark

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B+, really liked the Barnett and Jones picks.

Eagles|Bulls|White Sox|Real Madrid

Carson Wentz <3
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely a different kind of draft than we've had in recent memory. This is certainly not a Howie draft and you can see the Joe Douglas influence all over it.

I agree that the instant observation is that we got "football" guys who had insane production at the college level. Barnett started the season opener for Tennessee as a true freshman and racked up tons of production over his career, but won't necessarily wow you in workouts. Pumphrey is the all-time leading rusher in FBS history, but has awful measurements (awful might be a strong word here).

But then of course you still have guys like Hollins who didn't play a whole lot, so it's not a rigid formula.

Grading a draft before any of these guys play is like grading your dinner before it's served to you, or however that adage goes. We've seen incredible "athletes" end up not being much of a football player many, many times in the past. Guys who ran a 4.3 but couldn't catch a football or run a route. But obviously we've also seen guys who are strictly football players with great natural instincts, but were too slow or physically limited to make it.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones makes this a B+ draft for me. Getting someone with his potential in the 2nd round is huge, even if he can't play at all this year.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
Jones makes this a B+ draft for me. Getting someone with his potential in the 2nd round is huge, even if he can't play at all this year.

Pretty much how I feel also.

I'm super glad Minny jumped as and took Cook. It doesn't mean that we definitely would have drafted him if they don't trade up, but they would have had a hard time passing him up if he DID fall to our second. Even if Cook was available I definitely preferred Jones. He was my top choice along with Mixon (simply because I think Mixon is the best RB in the draft and will be elite).

But getting Jones there is a steal of course. We are one of those teams who can afford to take a player like that, as we just drafted our franchise QB last year and we need to collect all the young talent we can. And I think Douglas / Howie looked at how well our defense was last year in it's first under Schwartz's scheme with total garbage at corner and took that into account as well.

Jones is the best corner in the entire class and Im pretty sure we just got our first real number one corner that we've wanted for....Jesus I don't even know how long. Since Asante?

And looking at the Barnett pick as well as our other DEs, I like it more and more and it makes more sense. Graham has one side locked down but that's it. This is a make or break year for Curry and I just don't think he's anything more than a third down situational pass rusher. Then we have 32 year old Long and the kid from UF we drafted a yr ago and that's it.... Barnett will probably be a starter day 1 and a starting front four of him , Jernigan, Cox, and B Red suddenly looks pretty damn good and it allows us to use out depth guys AS depth/rotational players.

So those two alone make this a very good draft (this is with my prediction that Barnett becomes a consistently good to very good starter and Jones a legit top 10 or even top 5 corner)

I'm fine with the rest of the draft minus Pumphries. Normally he's a guy I'd root for and like but just not for us not right now. Are we just gonna troll everyone and use all 5'8 or shorter backs? Mack would have been a great pick there. Even Gallman.

And I think Shelton Gibson is being underrated. We don't have a WR like him. He isn't just a speed guy. Hes a big play maker and he also has good body control and his ability to track the ball is impressive. He isn't small either ( 5'11 190 or so). Hell, I think he'll be better than Torrey will this year even as a rookie.

Collins I doubt does much outside of ST.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we were going Jones either way, even if Cook was there. Howie and Joe are both on record saying they almost took Jones at #14, and considered him to be that good of a talent. There's no way they pass that up in the second round if they were that enamored with him.

I also think we assumed we were cutting Mathews. I know there's a weird rule that we can't cut him until he's healthy (or something like that) but it's possible at this point they consider him our starter and if that's the case, I don't know how serious the team was in drafting an early RB.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
i saw something where athleticism matters early in the draft but later in the draft you go by tape. No matter how good your work outs are it doesnt mean a thing if you suck at football.

Which is why early you go tape and athleticism and later you go tape.

With that in mind maybe the only questionable pick is barnett. He has the tape for sure but might not have the elite physical traits to live up to that spot. Everyone else is probably fine. I mean who else are you going to get at pick 100 or later that is going to jump routes like rasul douglas? no one?

If JPP didn't blow his hand off. We would be looking at the JPP vs Graham argument and the Barnett pick in a different light. People forgot how good JPP was becoming before that accident. He was a testament of going for potential early and high athletic ceilings.

Oh how soon they forget Ninja, its rough i tell ya , rough... *pulls collar*

Last edited by Bednarik60 on Mon May 01, 2017 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phire

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That JPP/Graham comparison is pretty good in terms of drafting an athlete v. dude who produced in college.

Everyone probably remembers the video of JPP doing like 50 yards of back handsprings or whatever and we were kind of laughing like "lol but can he play football?"

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably call it around a B for the draft. Nothing too thrilling about it but generally good choices positionally and some guys who should be able to contribute in different ways.

Derek Barnett - At the time, I was a bit bummed out because of the dynamic talent that was still on the board but I completely understand the pick. He's not the flashiest player but has a Trent Cole type of ceiling where he can play the run and the pass effectively. Should be able to be a pretty valuable contributor early on.

Sidney Jones - I really like his game, just a solid player all around. Not a great athlete but has nice length and understands the position and has good instincts. Hopefully the achilles injury has no lingering effects for him long term. The only downside to the pick is that I doubt he plays this year, which is a concern given our current outlook at cornerback.

Rasul Douglas - Interesting pick. Definitely a bit raw but has some solid tools. Again, a guy that I'm unsure about contributing this year (not due to injury, like Jones, but isn't anywhere close to a finished product). That being said, he'll likely end up getting thrown into the fire due to our current roster.

Mack Hollins - I actually like this pick. Not every late round pick has to be a boom-or-bust type. Reminds me a bit of Hank Baskett. Not going to be anything more than a #3 receiver but has some value offensively with the ability to stretch the field and make big plays. Notably, he will produce on special teams and be a guy that the fans and coaching staff love for his effort and ability to move around the roster.

Pumphrey - Probably my least favorite pick in the draft. I tend to really like short running backs and think there is a lot of value to those guys, especially late in the draft. Pumphrey, however, is not just short but he's small. He's got a small base, has no meat on his bones and is going to get ragdolled in the NFL unless he adds about 20-30 pounds onto his frame, which I'm not sure he has the capability to do. He's certainly a talented player with great quickness and understanding but he lacks the lower body power and stability that allows most smaller running backs to thrive. I just don't see him having any success at this level. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Gibson - More of a boom or bust type of pick than Hollins. Not as much value on special teams and more talented of a receiver due to his COD skills. I like the pick. I doubt he'll contribute this year and may find himself either as an inactive receiver if he plays well enough in training camp.

Gerry - Admittedly, I don't know too much about him but I think there is value in the safety/linebacker tweeners. With the right attitude, they have high potential on the weakside and on special teams. What's up Wesley Woodyard

Qualls - Solid 6th round pick to throw into the end of the DT rotation.
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the dislike for Pumphrey but at the same time I don't get it.

It is redundant to have Sproles and Pumphrey but he'll take over that role fully in 2018. We've all watched what an impact someone like Sproles can have. It is pretty important to have the role filled. I rather have them do it a year early than be searching after Sproles is gone.

I'd be interesting to see what the Chargers' fans initial reaction was to Sproles getting drafted, I bet it was similar to reactions I am see about Pumphrey's size.

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: