Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Instant Impressions: Grade the Eagles Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Instant Impressions: Grade the Eagles Draft Reply with quote

1. DE Derek Barnett, Tennessee
2. CB Sidney Jones, Washington
3. CB Rasul Douglas, West Virginia
4. WR Mack Hollins, North Carolina
4. RB Donnel Pumphrey, San Diego State
5. WR Shelton Gibson, West Virginia
5. S/LB Nathan Gerry, Nebraska
6. DT Elijah Qualls, Washington

So we double-dipped into Washington and West Virginia.

Who were your favorite picks? Grade each pick, grade the whole draft, or just drop a line for your instant impressions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F+

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Anna Kendricks are always nice.
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally my favorite pick is Sidney Jones.
I like that we are willing to be patient with a very talented CB. Even if he doesn't play this year, as Jroc put it, we spent a 2017 2nd round pick on a 2018 1st round talent. If he plays this year, great.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this draft.

I wish they would have gotten a slot CB instead of Gibson, but that is my only complaint about this draft. I would have liked an all around RB but getting DE and CB's are much more important. The big banger RB's are a dime a dozen Eagles can sign a vet or grab one UDFA. A guy like Pumphrey is the perfect Sproles replacement and a guy like that is much harder to find.

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to give it a grade it would probably be somewhere from a C- to C+

I need to watch some of the guys more and rewatch Barnett.

I think it was solid, but I'm not overly excited about it.
MemphisEagles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Instant Impressions: Grade the Eagles Draft Reply with quote

1. DE Derek Barnett, Tennessee: C
2. CB Sidney Jones, Washington: A
3. CB Rasul Douglas, West Virginia: B
4. WR Mack Hollins, North Carolina: F
4. RB Donnel Pumphrey, San Diego State: B
5. WR Shelton Gibson, West Virginia: D
5. S/LB Nathan Gerry, Nebraska: B
6. DT Elijah Qualls, Washington: F

Average: C-/D+

I think we improved our pass defense not for this year but for next, and we aren't completely screwed at HB or LB anymore. Better hope Jeffrey and Torrey work out though and we don't have any major injuries to either OT or safety.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-

When you got as many holes as we do, there only so much you can do. They clearly want to get better on defense fast, which always helps the offense with better field position, less stress-chaos of having to score right away.

I like the first 3 picks, think they could of gotten more valu in the middle of the draft and wish they had gotten craftier with trading or moving around but maybe the Roseman is out juice and people have wised up to his trading ways.

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality" -Tesla
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B- seems right only pick I dont understand was Pumphrey we don't really have anyone to actually run the ball.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Anna Kendricks are always nice.
EagleDeegle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imma rank based on how I think our picks went...

1. Derek Barnett: Barnett was one of my favorites in this entire draft. I think he has skills that are transferrable (hands, bend, motor). And his impact will be immediate... He's a guy who can step on the field and help right now. You couldn't single block him in college, which is what he'll see in the pros. He helps the corners.

2. Sidney Jones:. Best CB in the draft. It sucks that he may not play this year. But, this isn't a 1-year fix... And anytime you can get an elite level corner in the 2nd, you do it.

3. Nathan Gerry:. I think this is the steal of the draft. Plays the run and pass well. The fact that he's moving to WLB is awesome. Could be Kendricks' replacement... So, opportunity to get PT

4. Donnell Pumphrey:. I reaaaaally like Pumphrey and think he's a special talent. He's tough, has great vision, cutting ability and receiving ability. He'll be kinda buried at first. Return impact.

5. Mack Hollins/Shelton Gibson:. Both were hand picked by Carson. But will be buried on the depth chart... Both will contribute on ST and get their opportunities next year.

6. Rasul Douglas:. Douglas will struggle and it wasn't my favorite pick. But he will get a LOT of early playing time.

7. Elijah Qualls:. Will play 4th tackle likely.

Grade:. B+ - addresses needs now in the future. Barnett, Gerry and Douglas could see significant playing time this year. Ultimately, I think every single one of our draft picks not only makes the team, but contributes. I think one of those WRs turns into a stud.
nlesthought

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-

Either A we better get a few UDFA RBs or sign Jamal Charles to a 1yr deal after the draft

We double dipped in some spots yet there's a chance they may not see the field year 1.

Not 1 starter year 1, looking like nothing but gives who provide depth.
magross

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-. Wish we could of gotten tarik Cohen over pumphrey but overall good. Think Barnett will be a starter by mid season and Douglas will battle for the 2nd CB spot. N I love the Sidney Jones pick
Jeezla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C+

2018 Draft: Saquon Barkley + Courtland Sutton #20 #92
Fly Eagles Fly
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-

Not a fan of the Barnett pick. Loved the direction we went in for the next 3 picks though, and big fan of Jones.

We addressed needs, you'd think that's a given but it's not always, so that alone satisfies me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird draft, solid draft. It wasnt andy reid's draft where he makes some undersized picks. It also wasnt chip kelly's draft where he makes straight up dumb picks. I was bummed out about the first pick but the more i think about it, more i like it. Really like the CB picks but not a fan of the RB, dude's 1 hit away from being popped. I do like the fact that we didnt spend a high pick on a RB. RBs are a dime in a dozen, IMO

Solid B from me.

Sig credits: Hammertime52
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B- because there is an obvious plan. We hit on needs and we drafted players who were productive in college.

Barnett should have instant impact this season and Jones should be starting outside full time in 2018. If the rest of the picks turn into special teams contributors in season 1, and eventually find their way onto the field regularly in the next 4 years this is a fantastic draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: