Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

6th Round (212): Kofi Amichia [OG; South Florida]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cadmus

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
So, did he ever snap footballs there?

I hear he has, then that comment says both guard spots and tackle.

from packers.com
"Although most of his work has come at tackle, Amichia took snaps at center and guard during his first two seasons at USF."

That sentence definitely makes it sound like he snapped the ball in actual game, which AFAIK he did not.

I certainly hope Kofi can backup Linsley, but there's a difference from snapping the ball in practice and actual game experience at the position.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Eh, Palmy knows nothing. Kofi is the best OL picked in the draft.

Wink

Kid has a chance to play in the league. The Packers have a long history of developing lineman. Even more so with kids like this that'll likely need to move inside. I'm just not sure he'd be worth the investment to me. Kid needs some real work. That's a long time to sit on a possible interior lineman. Even if he does develop into a starting guard.
CWood21

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Kid has a chance to play in the league. The Packers have a long history of developing lineman. Even more so with kids like this that'll likely need to move inside. I'm just not sure he'd be worth the investment to me. Kid needs some real work. That's a long time to sit on a possible interior lineman. Even if he does develop into a starting guard.

I think that goes without saying. You don't fall to the 6th round in a weak OL class if you're a plug 'n play OL prospect. But if we're comparing the coaching he's going to receive from James Campen and compare that against the USF coaching staff, it's night and day difference. And given the Packers history of developing OL, I'd be willing to bet that we're going to see a completely different player a year from now.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

I think that goes without saying. You don't fall to the 6th round in a weak OL class if you're a plug 'n play OL prospect. But if we're comparing the coaching he's going to receive from James Campen and compare that against the USF coaching staff, it's night and day difference. And given the Packers history of developing OL, I'd be willing to bet that we're going to see a completely different player a year from now.

Disclaimer: I don't understand the intricacies of OL play at all.

I always question how much Campen really "develops" players.

Bahk, Bulaga, Linsley, and Sitton all hit the ground running from day one. Lang started playing well immediately once he gave up the booze and took the game seriously.

Serious question.... Have we had one "raw" talent in the last ten years since Campen arrived that blossomed with us? Off the top of my head Id say no.

Yet we've drafted a few guys that REALLY struggled here and somehow managed to stick around the league and be servicable after us like like Breno, Barbre, and Newhouse. Those guys would have almost been unanimously considered guys who have no business in the NFL after their combined 11 years here and yet after they got to other teams they managed to stick around another nearly 20 years in the league combined.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
Donzo

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:

Bahk, Bulaga, Linsley, and Sitton all hit the ground running from day one. Lang started playing well immediately once he gave up the booze and took the game seriously.

Serious question.... Have we had one "raw" talent in the last ten years since Campen arrived that blossomed with us? Off the top of my head Id say no.

Yet we've drafted a few guys that REALLY struggled here and somehow managed to stick around the league and be servicable after us like like Breno, Barbre, and Newhouse. Those guys would have almost been unanimously considered guys who have no business in the NFL after their combined 11 years here and yet after they got to other teams they managed to stick around another nearly 20 years in the league combined.

I completely disagree with your post. How you miss Lane Taylor's development is beyond me. It seems you have an agenda.

Bahk has certainly developed as a player. He's gone from a below average OT to one of the top LT's in the NFL. Most of it has to do with him maturing from a very young 295lb player to a mature NFL OT, but he's developed.

Bulaga, Sitton and particually Lang all developed as players. I believe they most likely would have developed with other teams, but they certainly did with the Packers. You can discount the Packers involvement with Lang's development, it fits the "agenda", but he transformed with the Packers. He was an athletic guy with decent size that didn't know how to play guard, then became a technician with the Packers.

Newhouse and Barbe were the same players with their other teams that they were with the Packers. Beno never played for the Packers, he was a player the Packer developing that got caught in a numbers game.

All in all, Campen and the Packers, like some other coaches and teams, are good at getting the most out of their guys, but they aren't magicians. They're not going develop guys without NFL talent into players.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Disclaimer: I don't understand the intricacies of OL play at all.

I always question how much Campen really "develops" players.

I see two reasons I'd feel comfortable making that claim, the first is that there is skill development year by year. You look at the jump that Bakhtiari made from year 1 to year 2 and then year 3 to year 4 and you see a consistent upward trend. He went from fighting for his life on every snap to handling guys. Now a lot of that is physical development that happened thanks to Bakhtiari's own work in the S&C program, but that's definitely positive upward development.

With the exception of Bulaga, that sort of upward trend has occured with most of our lineman. they get in the first year and play fine, but as they spend time in the system and get older they really improve.

The other aspect I've always been extremely impressed with is how prepared his guys are. Considering Sitton's learning disability it's fairly remarkable that he developed into the smart older mentor that he became for this group. There haven't been any games I can recall in his tenure that I feel like this group has been out coached. When this group has gotten abused it's been because we didn't have the horses at tackle and McCarthy doesn't help those guys.

I'll also add that it takes a ton of work to get a rookie ready to play in the NFL, especially if they're not a top 10 first round pick good enough to go immediately and excel. Getting them up to speed not just in camp so that they can run with an offense filled with vets, but also on a week to week basis is tough.

That plays a lot in terms of development as far as fostering confidence goes. If Linsley or Bakhtiari come in and get annihalated in their first season, that affects these guys' confidence. Sometimes they can get over that and other times it permanently damages them. All coaches can do is build them up and prepare them as best they can so the getting knocked down portion happens as infrequently as possible.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Wouldn't fight ya on that one bit, CWood.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: