Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

6th Round (212): Kofi Amichia [OG; South Florida]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Anyone think it's oddly suspicious that New England jumped five slots to the pick directly in front of us to take Will Holden before the Packers drafted our OL?

Would it surprise you? I mean, did it surprise anyone that TT traded ahead of the Bears last year to take Jason Spriggs, and after the Spriggs selection we saw the Bears trade out of their spot.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
justo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
justo wrote:
Anyone think it's oddly suspicious that New England jumped five slots to the pick directly in front of us to take Will Holden before the Packers drafted our OL?

Would it surprise you? I mean, did it surprise anyone that TT traded ahead of the Bears last year to take Jason Spriggs, and after the Spriggs selection we saw the Bears trade out of their spot.
Meant McDermott btw. Got the tall OT mixed up

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Meant McDermott btw. Got the tall OT mixed up

Were we in the market for a tall OL? I figured that they'd prefer to do another LT->IOL conversion, and 6'6"+ is an issue for a guard, isn't it?
Cadmus

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it with a grain of salt, but.....

Quote:
According to PFF, Amichia was the fifth-best pass-protecting tackle in this draft class.

That includes playing 6 of 13 games last season with a painful lower body injury.

Not bad, it reinforces what I saw.
packerjmf

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:

Quote:
According to PFF, Amichia was the fifth-best pass-protecting tackle in this draft class.

That includes playing 6 of 13 games last season with a painful lower body injury.

So is he an atrocious run blocker? Palmy seemed less than impressed with the tape:
palmy50 wrote:
Kid is a freak athlete but I couldn't have used a pick on that tape... Sure was on the ground a lot in that film I watched though...
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:

This is from earlier in the thread, sounds nasty :

Somebody wrote:
"One team told me, 'When you look at his pro day numbers, he's a superior athlete and the film doesn't match the pro day numbers,'" said Austin Atkinson, Amichia's agent.

That's when the details -- gory ones, at that -- would surface. What the scouts saw on tape was a guy wincing through the final stretch of his college career, hoping that right kneecap wouldn't again slide out of place. In the absence of NFL-caliber potential, these evaluators were seeing NFL-caliber perseverance.

"He was playing on survival mode a little bit (last year)," former Bulls offensive line coach Darren Hiller said.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/nfl-call-could-arrive-for-usf-tough-man-kofi-amichia/2321647

The comment about the tape not matching the athleticism...I seem to remember reading something similar around here recently...
Cadmus

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerjmf wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

Quote:

So is he an atrocious run blocker? Palmy seemed less than impressed with the tape:
palmy50 wrote:
Kid is a freak athlete but I couldn't have used a pick on that tape... Sure was on the ground a lot in that film I watched though...

PFF's blocking statistics are inherently flawed because they rely on a predominantly binary system where each player receives either a positive or negative mark for each play. Just to be clear... I never suggested that I thought Kofi was the 5th best draft-eligible pass-protecting Tackle in the nation last season, I was simply forwarding an interesting metric that I found. My comment about that metric reinforcing what I've seen was merely an endorsement of his ability to mirror pass rushers and consistently put himself between the defender and his QB.

I don't want to speak for Palmy, but based on his comments on Kofi I would be lead to believe that he has serious problems with the tech, which I can definitely understand.

Kofi's tech can be a mess (I'm fairly certain that I've pointed this out previously), and there's a lot of stuff he could get away with vs. USF opponents that won't fly at the next level. The other side of that coin is that I don't see any flaw in his game that would be fatal to an NFL career.

A few of the tech problems that I saw: he will let pass rushers into that frame, he will overextend in the run game, and the pad level will rise on plays that take longer to develop. Hand usage was also quite inconsistent. I didn't see him on the ground as much as was suggested (in the games I watched), but if he doesn't fix any of those problems he will be on the ground a lot at the NFL level. Think that's (at least part of) what he was trying to get at.

However, I generally view the flaws in Kofi's game as correctable and I believe that Campen can largely eradicate the bad habits (or on the flip-side simply develop the skill set) and turn him into a quality NFL player.
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerjmf wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

Quote:

palmy50 wrote:

The tape was all over the place. More than anything it just looked like he wasn't coached very well and was often out of control. I watched that film twice and did finally come away wanting to see more of him. Body control/flex looks to be a very real issue at this point though. I've seen that a million times with these young ones starting to fill out the long frames though. Some work needs done but he might be athletic enough for the wait.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
packerjmf wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

Quote:

palmy50 wrote:

The tape was all over the place. More than anything it just looked like he wasn't coached very well and was often out of control. I watched that film twice and did finally come away wanting to see more of him. Body control/flex looks to be a very real issue at this point though. I've seen that a million times with these young ones starting to fill out the long frames though. Some work needs done but he might be athletic enough for the wait.

What # do you think he was at last year?

It looked to me that he was playing around 290 and I'm interested to see what he looks like at 310 in TC (he told the Packers media he was already up to 308).

Also, any idea on the arm length?

I would guess a hair under 33. (I'll understand if you can't respond to this one).
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
packerjmf wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

Quote:

palmy50 wrote:

What # do you think he was at last year?

It looked to me that he was playing around 290 and I'm interested to see what he looks like at 310 in TC (he told the Packers media he was already up to 308).

Also, any idea on the arm length?

I would guess a hair under 33. (I'll understand if you can't respond to this one).

Staff said high 80's/low 90's.

I'm not home or I'd look up the arms/hands in my notes for ya. I know we didn't flag him though.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on Kofi, from Cheesehead TV

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/versatility-a-paramount-trait-in-packers-kofi-amichia-253

"Amichia was praised incessantly for his versatility during his time at USF, as coaches even during his college years predicted he would be sought-after due to his ability to plug in to either guard spot or back-up one of the tackle spots."

Not sure what he offers in the NFL at OT, but if he can cover all 3 interior spots, that's a win for the Packers in 2017.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, did he ever snap footballs there?

I hear he has, then that comment says both guard spots and tackle.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be all too concerned with Amichia at the moment. He DOES have a TC to get through and a few guys who could easily be slotted in front of him. In terms of him being "worth the wait." I say why not? Dude was a late Day 3 pick...
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
So, did he ever snap footballs there?

I hear he has, then that comment says both guard spots and tackle.

from packers.com
"Although most of his work has come at tackle, Amichia took snaps at center and guard during his first two seasons at USF."
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, Palmy knows nothing. Kofi is the best OL picked in the draft.

Wink

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: