You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pick #168- Marquel Lee (LB)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
holyghost


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 6697
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
He looks slow. Inside the tackle box, he's alright. I'm surprised we drafted a LB with his profile. The LBs drafted by RM were all much better athletes. I don't think he wins the job over James.


Something to consider is that all the guys Reggie has drafted so far have been more suited to be WLB. James played MLB because of injury. That being said I agree he isn't the athlete most of the guys in the lb room are but I think he would be rated as avg when put up against other MLBs.


Below average imo. (4.78 40yd; 7.28 3C)


I've been thinking on this too - philosophical question here:

Who is faster during a play?
1. A guy who runs 4.3 but comes to a halt often because he cannot shuck a block well.
2. A guy who runs 4.9 but isn't slowed down by many or any blocks.


Point being, you can draft slow guys all day long. If they are the type of players who refuse to be blocked then you'll have a fast defense. Burfict is a good example.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TiberiusRising


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 13266
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching him play he is instinctive and plays long. Seems to counteract the speed. Curious if has even bothered with speed training before. He will need a bit more to get away with the same stuff on the nfl. As others have said with Obi here if he can handle his part and stay healthy we will be in better shape at least. Sounds to me like Riley may come back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raiderrocker18


Joined: 09 Dec 2014
Posts: 5148
Location: Los Angeles
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not so optimistic he can come in and start day 1 and hold the fort... he's an ok tackler, but doesn't really pack a lot of punch behind hits. i will say though, he is pretty good at diagnosing plays and shoots gaps well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RoyalMajesty51o


Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 956
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's definitely not athletic, explosive, quick, or fast. He's quite stiffed and is not good at changing directions. His game speed is pretty much similar to Curtis Lofton. That's why I was surprised with his TFL and sacks numbers. He will be a liability in coverage that's for sure.

What he is though is a tough, physical LB that can hold his ground, fill holes, taking on blocks, good at diagnosing plays, and will help his guys line up at the right spots. No wonder he was a 2x captain at Wake Forest. Overall, I don't love the pick, but I don't hate the pick either. Reggie got solid value with Lee in the 5th round, but if you want a LB that's quick, fast, athletic, and can cover, you go with Jordan Evans with that 5th round pick over Marquel Lee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Synyster


Joined: 06 Nov 2009
Posts: 517
Location: Conley Island
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
He's definitely not athletic, explosive, quick, or fast. He's quite stiffed and is not good at changing directions. His game speed is pretty much similar to Curtis Lofton. That's why I was surprised with his TFL and sacks numbers. He will be a liability in coverage that's for sure.

What he is though is a tough, physical LB that can hold his ground, fill holes, taking on blocks, good at diagnosing plays, and will help his guys line up at the right spots. No wonder he was a 2x captain at Wake Forest. Overall, I don't love the pick, but I don't hate the pick either. Reggie got solid value with Lee in the 5th round, but if you want a LB that's quick, fast, athletic, and can cover, you go with Jordan Evans with that 5th round pick over Marquel Lee.


We like his frame and feel for the game but yeah I think for a 5th round pick we got what we paid for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RoyalMajesty51o


Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 956
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synyster wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
He's definitely not athletic, explosive, quick, or fast. He's quite stiffed and is not good at changing directions. His game speed is pretty much similar to Curtis Lofton. That's why I was surprised with his TFL and sacks numbers. He will be a liability in coverage that's for sure.

What he is though is a tough, physical LB that can hold his ground, fill holes, taking on blocks, good at diagnosing plays, and will help his guys line up at the right spots. No wonder he was a 2x captain at Wake Forest. Overall, I don't love the pick, but I don't hate the pick either. Reggie got solid value with Lee in the 5th round, but if you want a LB that's quick, fast, athletic, and can cover, you go with Jordan Evans with that 5th round pick over Marquel Lee.


We like his frame and feel for the game but yeah I think for a 5th round pick we got what we paid for.


Exactly. It is what it is, but Reggie got solid value for it because the kid can come in and play on certain plays specifically against the run. That's all you can ask for with these late round guys. You just trying to build your depth. If he wanted a more athletic, quick, fast LB that can cover, he could have went with Jordan Evans who went in the early 6th round to the Bengals and was one of my late round gems.

Matter of fact, Jordan Evans lacks toughness and physicality and Marquel Lee lacks athleticism and speed. Too bad they can't fuse together like those Dragon Ball Z characters. Complete LB and #1 LB over Davis, Foster, Cunningham, and McMillan Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TiberiusRising


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 13266
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Watching him play he is instinctive and plays long. Seems to counteract the speed. Curious if has even bothered with speed training before. He will need a bit more to get away with the same stuff on the nfl. As others have said with Obi here if he can handle his part and stay healthy we will be in better shape at least. Sounds to me like Riley may come back.
Watched Fl. St. game and Lee seemed really slow. Even for just staying the box area.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TiberiusRising


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 13266
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our best hope this year= Neiron Ball getting healthy and wins the job.
Our 2nd best= Cory James takes a leap forward or resign Perry Riley
Our 3rd best= Heeney and Lee fighting for job.

Me if #3 happens= Watching DET games wondering if we would have taken Davis had he made it to us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17060
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/nguyen-marquel-lee-better-player-zach-cunningham/
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Rob


Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Posts: 3590
Location: Long Beach, Ca
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it clear yet that Reggie doesn't value ILBs lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OakRaiders3828


Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 12503
Location: Lehigh Valley
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:
Is it clear yet that Reggie doesn't value ILBs lol


Yeah I just don't think he values them really high. He tries to strike gold with later round picks, who knows, Lee could be that guy. I hope...
_________________
R A I D E R S | 7 6 E R S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCOUGHMAN


Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 16670
Location: Stockton via East Palo Alto
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/nguyen-marquel-lee-better-player-zach-cunningham/


2 for 2 with the links homie

i watched lee vs clemson 2016 and I though this dude plays similar to zach except better tackling
_________________
green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you


Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BABYLON 5


Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 429
Location: GARDEN STATE
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if anybody read this on on Lee. Check out @FanRagSports's Tweet: https://twitter.com/FanRagSports/status/859145401923850240?s=09
_________________
THE MIGHTY OAKLAND RAIIIIDERRRRS

Sig by BenderRodriguez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BayRaider


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 5255
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article, thank you for that. I would still say Cunningham has a much better chance of being a good pro over Lee due to the 4.67 to 4.78 4.78 40 time but it does look like Lee is a slightly more complete player than Cunningham.

That article did get me excited for Lee. Hopefully he competes for a starting job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3184
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Big Rob wrote:
Is it clear yet that Reggie doesn't value ILBs lol


Yeah I just don't think he values them really high. He tries to strike gold with later round picks, who knows, Lee could be that guy. I hope...


I don't think it has anything to do with value in his mind. It's more to do with familiarity. He knows that he has a better chance of grabbing another position like Linemen or skill player that will succeed in the higher rounds than a LB. He knows, from being a LB in the league and having other former LBs in high positions within the support and coaching staffs, that he has a better shot at finding a gem at that position later than the others.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group