Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pick #168- Marquel Lee (LB)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
4-2-5 would be interesting with Obi

The Raiders already run a 4-2-5, it's called nickel.

I'm saying his fit into it is interesting. Relax.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes "nickel would be interesting with Obi" is exactly what i got out of that Laughing
jlieberum1985

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiders fifth-rounder Marquel Lee said GM Reggie McKenzie told him he will compete for a starting gig at linebacker, and Lee played mostly MLB in a 4-2-5 defense at Wake Forest.

Paul Gutierrez, ESPN Staff Writer
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlieberum1985 wrote:
Raiders fifth-rounder Marquel Lee said GM Reggie McKenzie told him he will compete for a starting gig at linebacker, and Lee played mostly MLB in a 4-2-5 defense at Wake Forest.

Paul Gutierrez, ESPN Staff Writer
It's on the first page like 3 times, people above this post literally discussing this.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Rich7sena wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

I'm saying his fit into it is interesting. Relax.

YOU RELAX.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

Haha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looks slow. Inside the tackle box, he's alright. I'm surprised we drafted a LB with his profile. The LBs drafted by RM were all much better athletes. I don't think he wins the job over James.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
He looks slow. Inside the tackle box, he's alright. I'm surprised we drafted a LB with his profile. The LBs drafted by RM were all much better athletes. I don't think he wins the job over James.

Something to consider is that all the guys Reggie has drafted so far have been more suited to be WLB. James played MLB because of injury. That being said I agree he isn't the athlete most of the guys in the lb room are but I think he would be rated as avg when put up against other MLBs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

Something to consider is that all the guys Reggie has drafted so far have been more suited to be WLB. James played MLB because of injury. That being said I agree he isn't the athlete most of the guys in the lb room are but I think he would be rated as avg when put up against other MLBs.

Below average imo. (4.78 40yd; 7.28 3C)
Dessie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee sounds like he will push for the SILB spot. Still think we look to pickup Riley/Hodges for SILB and to give the group some veteran experience.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

Below average imo. (4.78 40yd; 7.28 3C)

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/football/wake-s-lee-pleased-with-showing-at-nfl-pro-day/article_2c79c4c8-ca02-557f-9f8c-b102c1f368b2.html

Think there were a range of hand times because here he says he ran in the 4.6s and Draftscout has 4.78. No doubt he isn't as fast as some and faster than others.

In any case, I think he fits what we were looking for in the middle. Guy with size and good with run fits in the middle. Good in zone coverage over the middle and a sure tackler.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:

I still expect us to sign a veteran LB or two, including probably resigning Riley, however I think some have wrote off James too soon. I totally understand not wanting to rely on him solely. I am in that same boat. But I do think it's possible he not only wins a starting job at MLB or WLB but also plays well. Will he ever be an all pro? I seriously doubt it. But he did show some really good qualities as a 6th round rookie. The rest of the defense was just so poor snd often out of position that we needed someone with more experience. I do think he could take a nice step forward this year. He's athletic, was a sure tackler, and we have hopefully upgraded the defense around him especially in the back end that his coverage responsibilities could towards more favorable match ups. He's got some upside.

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee and his agent apparently go the impression we really wanted him after the combine IIRC. And Lee is going to compete to start right away (obviously given our situation there). Sounds like this pick was definitely part of the plan.
reddevil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that Reg and Del Rio both feel that they can work with LBs with flaws. That they can plan and scheme around them. It hasnt come to fruition yet, but I think that it's always been the plan to draft guys later who are less likely to be well rounded. Having upgrades in the secondary, with speed should help cut down the big plays too. Reggie said as much in his last presser. That in a sense, could reduce the LBs role further.

I agree Mr. Raider. I liked what I saw from James as well. Not sure why his play time dropped so much. I'd have liked to see him and Riley in more. Perhaps protecting him, or just over rated Smith, don't know. But I'm hopeful he can be a decent option. If Lee was as 88 said, someone we were targeting, it would indicate they have plans for him and his skill set- flaws included.

Bring back Riley, hope Jenkins stays healthy, James pushes on and Lee can offer something. Could be okay.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddevil wrote:
I agree Mr. Raider. I liked what I saw from James as well. Not sure why his play time dropped so much. I'd have liked to see him and Riley in more. Perhaps protecting him, or just over rated Smith, don't know. But I'm hopeful he can be a decent option. If Lee was as 88 said, someone we were targeting, it would indicate they have plans for him and his skill set- flaws included.

James had a decent outing against Baltimore and a not so good outing against San Diego, I believe. I'll have to go back and watch more. He played well for a 6th round rookie, but he was still a 6th round rookie.

Like I said before, I liked Lee more than most as a prospect. He's definitely a true blue inside backer with some stiffness and lack of explosion, but he's sturdy and long. I imagine it was his length (32 1/2" arms) and strength (25 bench reps) which pushed him up over some other linebackers in this class in the 5th/6th round range.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: