Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who's yo homie: Glennon or Trubisky?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which
Mitchell Trubisky
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Mike Glennon
82%
 82%  [ 32 ]
Mark Sanchez
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 39

Blaize4488

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
I guess the whole, "sit and learn" seems like a myth to me. Everybody wants to emulate the the Favre-Rodgers dynamic. It seems odd to say a guy who is thought to need more experience is going to come in and sit? Just saw a stat, that 3 of the last 6 top QBs selected have been selected to the pro bowl. The offense should cater to Trubisky's strengths, not vice versa. To me, straight QB competition with the better QB starting. As Windy said, the bears are not a bad situation to bring a rookie along. Seems silly to sit a guy if he looks ready come preseason and week 1 just for the sake of sitting.

Bro he simply isn't ready. He has never called a play with as much verbiage as we are going to have, he is extremely inexperienced dropping back from center (which is HUGE in our offense, he needs to learn to time his reads with his feet). It's going to take time and I for one really don't want him to be rushed for any reason.

If I don't see him play a single meaningful NFL snap in 2017, I'll be thrilled.

I get it, but he's got 5 months to continuously practice. You know who else didn't do much under center? Your boy Carr.

And good for him, honestly. I don't want to do that to my franchise QB.

Sit, learn, work on your craft, unleash in 2018.

Where is the tangible evidence that is the best way to handle him? The sit and learn strategy is incredibly overblown. Show me 1 QB that had success like that and I'll show you 3 that started and had success. I guess it's your opinion but I would just like to know what it's based off of. Just for fear of overwhelming him?
gah112

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting him allows him to get more reps in practice with the top unit and gives him game experience against NFL defenses. Accruing game experience is important in the development of QBs and Trubisky is already behind in that regard.

I also think the quality of the OL has an influence on the decision. David Carr was thrown on the field with one of the worst OL in football history and got shell shock from being sacked so often. Dak Prescott looked great with limited pro-style experience because he was rarely under pressure. I think the Bears' OL is solid enough.
G08

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
I guess the whole, "sit and learn" seems like a myth to me. Everybody wants to emulate the the Favre-Rodgers dynamic. It seems odd to say a guy who is thought to need more experience is going to come in and sit? Just saw a stat, that 3 of the last 6 top QBs selected have been selected to the pro bowl. The offense should cater to Trubisky's strengths, not vice versa. To me, straight QB competition with the better QB starting. As Windy said, the bears are not a bad situation to bring a rookie along. Seems silly to sit a guy if he looks ready come preseason and week 1 just for the sake of sitting.

Bro he simply isn't ready. He has never called a play with as much verbiage as we are going to have, he is extremely inexperienced dropping back from center (which is HUGE in our offense, he needs to learn to time his reads with his feet). It's going to take time and I for one really don't want him to be rushed for any reason.

I get it, but he's got 5 months to continuously practice. You know who else didn't do much under center? Your boy Carr.

Where is the tangible evidence that is the best way to handle him? The sit and learn strategy is incredibly overblown. Show me 1 QB that had success like that and I'll show you 3 that started and had success. I guess it's your opinion but I would just like to know what it's based off of. Just for fear of overwhelming him?

David Carr was ruined.

Jared Goff wasn't ready, sat for most of the season, and was God-AWFUL.

This kid didn't come from a pro system, he hasn't had to drop back from center in a game, while reading NFL defenses, in a West Coast system that literally ties your feet to your reads.

And you want to take a raw albeit talented kid and expect him to learn this on the fly with Vic Beasley, Gerald McCoy, Clay Matthews etc all looking to rip his head off in the first month of the season?

Yeah, no thanks; you can stay the F away from my QB Laughing

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
BearsFan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dll2000 wrote:
Favre/Rodgers. Rodgers didnt play right away because Favre was still Favre. Rest is a fairytale. Goff didnt play because Rams thought they had a playoff team and Goff was apparently a moron and couldnt learn the playbook/reads.

Brady played right away because of injury. Was a game manager and is now goat.

1. Please explain Kitna and Palmer.

2. Tom Brady threw 3 passes his rookie year. 3...

You also suggest that any qb who started as a rookie and failed had nothing to do with starting before your ready. I would disagree with that notion.

I am just curious, do you think sitting can hurt a starting QB? Or can you name a QB that suffered from sitting a year? Legitimate questions.

I don't argue that some players have gone straight into the NFL and been great QBs. However I don't think starting right away is the reason.

For me, unless you honestly think the Bears are a playoff team next year with Trubisky, there is no need to push the envelope. If we perform terribly, that gives us higher picks to improve our team with for the future.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:

David Carr was ruined.

This kid didn't come from a pro system, he hasn't had to drop back from center in a game, while reading NFL defenses, in a West Coast system that literally ties your feet to your reads.

And you want to take a raw albeit talented kid and expect him to learn this on the fly with Vic Beasley, Gerald McCoy, Clay Matthews etc all looking to rip his head off in the first month of the season?

David Carr was put in an absolutely unwinnable situation. Trubisky actually comes into a decent situation. Good OL, big targets, and some WRs with some upside.
Look, I'm not arguing the fact if he is clearly overmatched that he should start anyways, he shouldn't in that case. What I'm arguing is that he shouldn't be the defacto clipboard holder. Competition brings out the best in everyone.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:

David Carr was ruined.

David Carr was put in an absolutely unwinnable situation. Trubisky actually comes into a decent situation. Good OL, big targets, and some WRs with some upside.
Look, I'm not arguing the fact if he is clearly overmatched that he should start anyways, he shouldn't in that case. What I'm arguing is that he shouldn't be the defacto clipboard holder. Competition brings out the best in everyone.

Well given Pace and Fox being steadfast in supporting Glennon as their starter the only way Trubisky starts is if he takes it from Glennon. I'm totally fine with that. All I've been saying is that if he does take it from Glennon with his play that we shouldn't keep the gig in Glennon's hands just because. Make him be ready before he's given the keys but once he is then it should be his show. Whether that's week 1, week 10 after the bye, week 15 or in 2018 is TBD but getting him on the field should happen once he's ready for it. He's the future.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:

David Carr was ruined.

Well given Pace and Fox being steadfast in supporting Glennon as their starter the only way Trubisky starts is if he takes it from Glennon. I'm totally fine with that. All I've been saying is that if he does take it from Glennon with his play that we shouldn't keep the gig in Glennon's hands just because. Make him be ready before he's given the keys but once he is then it should be his show. Whether that's week 1, week 10 after the bye, week 15 or in 2018 is TBD but getting him on the field should happen once he's ready for it. He's the future.

This is where I'm at and imo is the way the Bears should approach it. If Trubisky beats out glennon great, he should play. If he doesn't, great we can re-evaluate in 2018. I'm trying to think of any benefits of looking at it any other way than this.
G08

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaize4488 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Blaize4488 wrote:

David Carr was ruined.

This is where I'm at and imo is the way the Bears should approach it. If Trubisky beats out glennon great, he should play. If he doesn't, great we can re-evaluate in 2018. I'm trying to think of any benefits of looking at it any other way than this.

I think I'm erring on the side of caution because I just don't think he's ready. I want him fully comfortable with our system, the drops, the reads, all of it before throwing him out there. I mean, we don't even know if Fox/Loggains will be around next season so if he doesn't play a snap until 2018, I'm good with it. If it's week 16 or 17 in what likely will be a wasted 2017 season, I guess I can live with that as well. I just don't see it happening with Sanchez likely being QB2 this year.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Epyon

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was Pace/Fox:

Trubisky only starts over Glennon if he's OUTRIGHT beating Glennon, imo.... at least until we're out of playoff contention.

like... on a scale of 1-10 (10 being better).... If Glennon is rocking a 5, and Trubisky is rocking an 8, fine start Trubisky...

OTOH if Glennon is rocking a 5, and Trubisky is playing like a 6 or even 7.... I'd rather keep Glennon on the field while developing Trub (again, at least until playoff contention is out the window @ 7-8 losses).... The reasoning for that is, once you make the swap, you aren't going back.... and if Trubisky does what Barkley did where he starts out looking good, and then his play nosedives, I think you put the team into a really bad situation... It'd be like dumping your girlfriend for her younger sister, then realizing it's not working out and trying to get back together with the older one again...

So yeah, Trubisky has a chance to win the job, but only if he's completely outclassing Glennon imo.... That said, at 8 losses (and the removal of any playoff hopes), I'd probably bench Glennon regardless and give Trubisky as much game experience as possible.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dll2000 wrote:
Favre/Rodgers. Rodgers didnt play right away because Favre was still Favre. Rest is a fairytale. Goff didnt play because Rams thought they had a playoff team and Goff was apparently a moron and couldnt learn the playbook/reads.

Brady played right away because of injury. Was a game manager and is now goat.

Rothelsberger played right away. Was a game manager and is now a HOFer.

Manning and Aikman played right away and were awful and are now HOF.

Marino played right away. Kelly played right away.

Carr played right away. Wentz played right away.

Guys who played right away and stunk for years and flamed out would have anyway.

Bears got max out of Grossman, he just wasnt that good. Other teams tried him too and he didnt hack it there either. If they sat Grossman for two years nothing would have changed for his career except maybe he would have been worse.

Guys who didnt play right away say the right things, say it was good, but they would rather play. Guys who did play right away to a man say it was right thing for them.

Again, its nice to watch a little if you know nothing, but you learn by doing and making mistakes and being corrected and improving. You improve little and slowly with no practical experience and this is true in anything. Football isnt special in this regard. I dont know why people think it is.

Picture being in a meeting room. MT see what Glennon did here? Yes coach. Zzzzzzzz. You need physical muscle memory both in body and brain. Thats just way it works.
Brady didn't take a snap his rookie year. In his 2nd year he started for an injured Drew Bledsoe in Week 10.

Carson Palmer didn't take a snap his rookie year
Steve Young didn't take a snap his rookie year
Philip Rivers didn't start until his 2nd year

There is no tried and true method as to how best to bring a rookie in. Players that need to sit, should sit. Players that need to play, should play. I'm personally on the bandwagon of Trubisky needs to be spending most of his time on his footwork, mechanics from under center and how to read NFL defenses. If he comes in and shows that he has clear command of the offense, and he is THE leader in the huddle, and he gives the Bears the best chance to win, then start him, but if all 3 aren't true sit him. I would tell Tru I want him at Dave Ragone's side anytime he isn't taking a snap in practice or a game, and Ragone should be quizing him on the playcalls constantly.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
HHRedRookHH

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, I'd say start Glennon and let Trubisky sit and learn. There are definitely important things that Trubisky can learn holding a clipboard or sitting in practice, even just with the scout team. Sliding protections or hitting his timings with his footwork out of center, for instance, are things he can absolutely learn at game speed while wearing a red shirt. He gets his chance to start when he's mastered those.

Whether or not he comes in to take over for Glennon halfway through the season will depend both on his ability to learn the offense and the performance of the team. If Glennon is doing fine, then Glennon will continue to be the QB, Trubisky will sit for the year, and Pace gets a new sparkly trade chip. If Glennon is doing poorly but the rest of the team seems fine, Trubisky might get put into play. If the entire team is battered and both Leno and Long are out for the season, maybe Sanchez gets to be the human meatshield while Pace upgrades the OLine in the offseason.

The thing that makes me most nervous about Trubisky isn't really Trubisky himself, though. It's Fox and Loggains. Fox doesn't exactly have the best track record with developing offensive personnel, and Loggains, while he came a bit into his own in the later part of last year, is still too new for me to get a proper bead on. Proper QB development contributes to a very significant portion of a newcomer's success; I doubt anyone thinks Dak Prescott would have worked out if he'd had, say, Jeff Fischer as his coach instead of Jason Garrett. I'm concerned that we've placed Trubisky in more of the former situation than the latter.

I'm still a little confused as to why Fox wasn't canned, and drafting Trubisky makes me even more so. Even if Pace has job security right now, which I'm convinced he does, Fox is probably on thinner ice. One more poor season and he's likely gone, which makes me wonder why we didn't just can him in the first place and bring in someone with better QB-development chops if we were always going to grab Trubisky from the get-go. It just doesn't make sense to me to leave Trubisky's first-year development to Fox when, say, McDaniels was available.
gah112

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder if he wouldn't develop faster by getting most of the reps and running the same plays every week with the 1st unit. It's tough to get a feel for the speed of the NFL game when you're only taking reps in practice.
G08

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah112 wrote:
I just wonder if he wouldn't develop faster by getting most of the reps and running the same plays every week with the 1st unit. It's tough to get a feel for the speed of the NFL game when you're only taking reps in practice.

He would if he came from a Pro System and was experienced taking drops from center when the bullets are flying.

He simply isn't, and I'd rather him master the art of QB before throwing him to the wolves.

topwop1

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHRedRookHH wrote:
I'm still a little confused as to why Fox wasn't canned, and drafting Trubisky makes me even more so. Even if Pace has job security right now, which I'm convinced he does, Fox is probably on thinner ice. One more poor season and he's likely gone, which makes me wonder why we didn't just can him in the first place and bring in someone with better QB-development chops if we were always going to grab Trubisky from the get-go. It just doesn't make sense to me to leave Trubisky's first-year development to Fox when, say, McDaniels was available.

Maybe just maybe it's because Pace actually wants Fox to be the head coach of this team going forward and there isn't all this so called turmoil happening inside Halas Hall as some members of the media members are trying to falsely portray?

I know Fox's coaching record in his first 2 years on the job isn't pretty and is what it is but that's usually what happens when you rebuild a program. You're going to take your lumps for a bit until things get noticeably better.

Patience is key..at least now they have something to build around.
gah112

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox is not the guy you want developing Trubisky.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: