You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 5 Pick 173: Brian Allen 6'3 215 4.48
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Brian Allen will be on the PS this year. He is nowhere near ready. The more film you find and the less enthusiastic I become about him contributing as a rookie, even on ST.

Davis Webb sucks, badly but has some god weapons to throw to. No words are needed;just watch.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KZviWo3_c4

I agree that he will need some time to develop. However, I think you have to remember that he has only played CB for a year and a half. He has tremendous physical tools with coaching and maturity at the position, he can become a decent pro. I do believe that he may be able to contribute on ST this year though. I think he will become better pro than he was in college.

My fear of putting him on the PS is he will get plucked off a la Travis Frederick and Howard Jones have over the past few years. I am also not ready to write off Sequez Golson. He has a ton of talent and is tailor made to play the slot. He has had some bad breaks (pardon the pun), but if he can stay healthy, I think he takes Gay's spot.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
Brian Allen will be on the PS this year. He is nowhere near ready. The more film you find and the less enthusiastic I become about him contributing as a rookie, even on ST.

Davis Webb sucks, badly but has some god weapons to throw to. No words are needed;just watch.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KZviWo3_c4

I agree that he will need some time to develop. However, I think you have to remember that he has only played CB for a year and a half. He has tremendous physical tools with coaching and maturity at the position, he can become a decent pro. I do believe that he may be able to contribute on ST this year though. I think he will become better pro than he was in college.

My fear of putting him on the PS is he will get plucked off a la Travis Frederick and Howard Jones have over the past few years. I am also not ready to write off Sequez Golson. He has a ton of talent and is tailor made to play the slot. He has had some bad breaks (pardon the pun), but if he can stay healthy, I think he takes Gay's spot.

Senquez isn't going anywhere. once he starts playing, many will forget him not playing the last two seasons.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

Senquez isn't going anywhere. once he starts playing, many will forget him not playing the last two seasons.

Well that's the rub isn't it? IF he can come back and be ready to play I'd expect him to play pretty well. However, he is still basically a Rookie with no game experience. Heck, he barely has any practice experience. In addition, who's to say once he comes back he doesn't get hurt again? He struggled with injuries in college and if I were a betting man I'd expect his career will be plagued by nagging injuries. I hop I'm wrong.
Dcash4

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

Well that's the rub isn't it? IF he can come back and be ready to play I'd expect him to play pretty well. However, he is still basically a Rookie with no game experience. Heck, he barely has any practice experience. In addition, who's to say once he comes back he doesn't get hurt again? He struggled with injuries in college and if I were a betting man I'd expect his career will be plagued by nagging injuries. I hop I'm wrong.

The bold from Chief is the part the worries me the most about Golson. If I remember correctly, he has never made it to a pre-season game healthy. There is a great deal you can learn about the game just from sitting in the room, but he has barely been on a field for NFL speed and has never seen game speed. That is going to be tough to catch up to after essentially 2 years off (Tomlinism about the moving train coming to mind...).

I still have high hopes for him. I think he would have played a vital part on the team last year, but we cannot count on him and small players with injury problems concern me.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They cut Shabazz today so that's one move up the Depth Chart for Allen. Which still leaves 7 with the return of Golson. He's gotta beat out FA Sensabaugh unless they keep 7.
theironcitykid

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:

The problem is he has to clear waivers to get to the practice squad and a lesser team *cough* Cleveland would scoop him up. They have no aspirations of winning this year. He's probably not worthy of the roster today but you might have to put him on there if you want to take a look.

Honestly, I cut Cockrell and Gay

Keep Burns, Sensabaugh, Golson, Sutton, Allen.

Would prefer to add Keenan Lewis if he can play and have him as starter over Sensabaugh. Cockrell is blah and he might be thinking he's worth a few mill. Nah dog GTFO
warfelg

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theironcitykid wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

The problem is he has to clear waivers to get to the practice squad and a lesser team *cough* Cleveland would scoop him up. They have no aspirations of winning this year. He's probably not worthy of the roster today but you might have to put him on there if you want to take a look.

Would prefer to add Keenan Lewis if he can play and have him as starter over Sensabaugh. Cockrell is blah and he might be thinking he's worth a few mill. Nah dog GTFO

Cockrell ain't going anywhere.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
DR43

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theironcitykid wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

You'd cut Cockrell? I understand Gay is too seasoned of a veteran but Cockrell would make a good #3. I thought he played well as a #2 last year but he is best off as a #3. It's not his fault the rest of the CBs on the team beyond Burns are inferior.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:
theironcitykid wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

You'd cut Cockrell? I understand Gay is too seasoned of a veteran but Cockrell would make a good #3. I thought he played well as a #2 last year but he is best off as a #3. It's not his fault the rest of the CBs on the team beyond Burns are inferior.

Cockrell is a decent player, just not a solid or sexy type of player. In his defense, Ross Cockrell takes a lot of heat because he does not consistently make impact plays or splash plays. He also is not a consistent pass defender capable of preventing catches or shutting down WR's like Ike Taylor did at one time. Now, Ike couldn't catch a cold standing in an ice bucket naked in Alaska showering with ice cold water, but he did prevent some top WR's from making TD's and key third or forth down conversions catches.

Cockrell has also not peaked as far as ability, but the problem many fans have is that some feel like his ceiling is not that high. Personally, at this point, I would not cut him because he can be serviceable at CB while some young guys develop and prove themselves.

My question is would you feel comfortable in a game in the 4th quarter up by six and 1:45 left and Cockrell is separating/defending you from a potential win?

jebrick

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockrell is easily replaceable. The Steelers dared other teams to sign him with a cheap RFA tag and no one did. That is what the league thinks of Cockrell.

Golson has to be special this year or they let him go.

i am not sure Allen survives on the PS but it is hard to hold a roster spot for him if he is not playing somewhat.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a kick out of the ragging on Cockrell. Makes me think many of you never saw Deshea Townsend play or Wille Gay or Ike Taylor when they played early in their careers.

As for the RFA tender.. how many other players were signed by other teams on RFAs this year ? I can only think of one.. in any case the original team has the right to match, its kind of like sending a MLB player to atbitration but only this is based on A more true market value.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
I get a kick out of the ragging on Cockrell. Makes me think many of you never saw Deshea Townsend play or Wille Gay or Ike Taylor when they played early in their careers.

As for the RFA tender.. how many other players were signed by other teams on RFAs this year ? I can only think of one.. in any case the original team has the right to match, its kind of like sending a MLB player to atbitration but only this is based on A more true market value.

If the Steeler worried about losing a starter they might have asked for more than a 4th round value. Teams thought they could do better than Cockrell with their 4th round picks.

Cockrell is not early in his career. He was drafted in 2014. Same as Shazier. He is a very smart player but very average. Especially on the outside.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
warfelg

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

If the Steeler worried about losing a starter they might have asked for more than a 4th round value. Teams thought they could do better than Cockrell with their 4th round picks.

Cockrell is not early in his career. He was drafted in 2014. Same as Shazier. He is a very smart player but very average. Especially on the outside.

I would consider a guy still on his rookie contract or RFA tender deal as "early in their career". Especially one that barely played year 1.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockrell is just fine. He's no star, but he's a proven commodity and starter quality. To even think about cutting him is the epitome of foolishness.

Obviously you have Burns and Davis as the 2 most promising DBs on the roster.

I'd imagine Mitchell is the 4th starter.

Then you got the nickel corner, where if Golson could ever stay healthy he's the logical pick there.

Then you look into depth.

Golden is a solid S.

Sutton with his size and speed might be competing with Golson for the nickel slot.

So that's 7 guys I'd consider locks.

Gay is old and slow, but smart. I'd probably cut him at this point, but I doubt they do.

Dangerfield is obviously not very safe. Waived 4 times by the Steelers, and on a 1 year deal for 540k.

Sensabaugh is on his 4th team in 3 seasons, with only 2015 seeing him as a starter for the majority of a season in his entire career.

So that tells me that a guy like Brian Allen should be able to make the roster, even if it is just as a gunner and developmental guy.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think we are in a position to be cutting Cockrell. He may not be great, but we've started worse... *cough* Chad Scott *cough*... Laughing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: