Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5th Round (175): DeAngelo Yancey [WR; Purdue]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
Don't forget a lot of the CB's problems were a result of no pressure so that is where Gunter got burned at times.

More fake news. It was tough to get a pass rush when you had Gunter, hurt Rollins, hurt Randall and Hyde at CB last year. And yet we were 7th best in sacks last year.

Everybody wants to love Gunter. They point to the OBJ game, they point to this and that... I'm frankly sick of the revisionist history going on here. The only times Gunter played well was when he had help AND was in press man coverage. He severely cripples what we can do on defense because he is extremely limited athletically. If we didn't have to give him as much help, Clinton-Dix would have been better, Burnett would have been better and our defense would have been better. But we did have to give him help, and if we didn't, he was a liability and teams knew it.

There's a reason why we targeted tall corners with speed, and it isn't because we're excited about Gunter having a bigger role or much of a role.

Gunter is closer to Jarrett Bush level value than he is Sam Shields/Tramon Williams level value. He's an absolute emergency cornerback with little else to offer defensively.

Gunter is far better than Jarrett Bush, you just have an issue with him, yet as an UDFA he vastly outperformed a 1st and 2nd round pick last year.

He's easily upgraded and we did that this year, but I have no issue with him being the top backup at outside CB. I'd take Gunter over most teams 3-4 WRs.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
Gopackgonerd wrote:
LacyIsGood wrote:
Gunter stepped up and played his best last year, but I don't see a role for him on the team this year. He is a pretty bad outside corner who can't play inside. Where is the value?
Could he play S?

Why would you play him at Safety when you have Haha, Burnett, Jones, Brice, and Evans?

I wouldn't say he's a bad corner. He's just not a #1. Put anybody's #4 CB in the game and you'll target the heck out of him. Ask your #4 to cover their #1 and you'll usually end up much worse than we did.
I forgot this was a Yancey thread. Laughing But I was just saying that because, aren't corners that are slower convert to S's sometimes? Plus with his height and frame maybe he could play a lil there if need be.
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
How did we end up discussing slow corners in the DeAngelo Yancey thread?

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
How did we end up discussing slow corners in the DeAngelo Yancey thread?

I mean he's a slow WR, so I can understand why people would imagine slow corners across from him. How it completely hijacked the thread I haven't a clue though. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
yet as an UDFA he vastly outperformed a 1st and 2nd round pick last year.

Only way Gunter outperformed Rollins and Randall was in staying healthy and necessitating safety help. Laughing

You're number one on the list of people who overrate Gunter because he sucked less than every other corner we had on our roster, and completely due to the fact that every other corner had serious nagging injuries the entire year. If you think Gunter would have performed better than Randall and Rollins (all things being equal with safety help) had Randall and Rollins not gotten hurt, I have oceanfront property in Arizona to sell to you. Super cheap.

Vastly outperformed. Laughing
packfanfb

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
yet as an UDFA he vastly outperformed a 1st and 2nd round pick last year.

Only way Gunter outperformed Rollins and Randall was in staying healthy and necessitating safety help. Laughing

You're number one on the list of people who overrate Gunter because he sucked less than every other corner we had on our roster, and completely due to the fact that every other corner had serious nagging injuries the entire year. If you think Gunter would have performed better than Randall and Rollins (all things being equal with safety help) had Randall and Rollins not gotten hurt, I have oceanfront property in Arizona to sell to you. Super cheap.

Vastly outperformed. Laughing

I keep reading this narrative that Randall and Rollins were good last year before their injuries. Can someone identify when this allegedly was the case? I thought Randall sucked in the opener against Jacksonville and he wasn't hurt then was he? Was he hurt in Week 2 when an average-to-good WR in Diggs had a career day against Randall? I don't recall him being injured that early in the season. His attempt to cover Diggs was sickening. I'm the guy's biggest fan in terms of hoping he becomes even an average CB in this league, but take away the fact that he was drafted in the 1st round, I haven't seen anything pre, post, during-injury that makes me optimistic about him other than his occasion to make a big splash play now and then (i.e. his pick against Seattle last year or his play against SD two years ago, or his INT vs. Ariz in the playoffs). The guy makes a play now and then, but so did Terrell Buckley.

Rollins the same way, but I at least feel bad for Rollins because Capers badly misused him on the outside. Rollins has no business playing outside the hashes. He should be in the slot and stay there.
Chili

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being bored earlier and was going over the WR prospects in the draft because I did very little research on that position before the draft. I wanted to see how our new WRs measured up to other WRs that were drafted. It struck me just how similar JuJu is to Yancey. One went in the 2nd round and other went in the 5th. So naturally I just had to look deeper. Laughing

I had a look at their physical and athletic makeup and they were remarkably similar with Yancey having a very slight edge in most categories. Their body types are almost identical, both has thick arms, thick mid-section, thick thighs. So why did one go in the 2nd and one go in the 5th?

What JuJu had a going for him was his age (20 vs 22 for Yancey) and had much better college production but most critically he went to the combine, Yancey did not.

Just comparing their tapes...
JuJu: https://youtu.be/t0iwtyeyonI
Yancey: https://youtu.be/-oinXrVu8Wc

...That's when the differences began to be revealed. JuJu is cocky and confident, a big personality on the field. Yancey is a stark contrast, he is much more like James Jones, quieter and even-keeled. I can see why the Packers liked him because of his similarities to Jones.

I think the personality differences is why JuJu appears to be much more dynamic on the field despite not quite being as good athletically as Yancey. Personally I feel Yancey is a superior hands catcher. I have a low opinion of USC wideouts because they are not taught to catch properly. Lee and Agholor are god awful basket/body catchers. Thankfully JuJu looks much better but he does basket/body catch a tad bit too often for my liking.

I have to point out that Yancey in college this year was far, far more effective than JuJu. He had four 100+ yard games and scored at least a TD in eight different games. He did all of that in 49 catches AND he put up more total yards than JuJu.

Compare that to JuJu this year, (ignoring the bowl game) he had three 100+ yard games but only scored at least a TD in four games. He did that in 63 catches.

But the year before in 2015 JuJu played at a level that Yancey never quite reached. Six 100+ yards games and at least a TD in eight of them. He made 85 catches.

Yancey improved but JuJu declined. Why...I have no idea. Injuries? QB play? more attention from defences?

So age, production, personality, combine is all what got JuJu drafted in the 2nd round and deservedly so.

Yancey wasn't afforded the same opportunities but we may well potentially get the same quality player at a bargain basement 5th round.

Comparing those two was actually quite a fascinating exercise Laughing

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili wrote:
I was being bored earlier and was going over the WR prospects in the draft because I did very little research on that position before the draft. I wanted to see how our new WRs measured up to other WRs that were drafted. It struck me just how similar JuJu is to Yancey. One went in the 2nd round and other went in the 5th. So naturally I just had to look deeper. Laughing

I had a look at their physical and athletic makeup and they were remarkably similar with Yancey having a very slight edge in most categories. Their body types are almost identical, both has thick arms, thick mid-section, thick thighs. So why did one go in the 2nd and one go in the 5th?

What JuJu had a going for him was his age (20 vs 22 for Yancey) and had much better college production but most critically he went to the combine, Yancey did not.

Just comparing their tapes...
JuJu: https://youtu.be/t0iwtyeyonI
Yancey: https://youtu.be/-oinXrVu8Wc

...That's when the differences began to be revealed. JuJu is cocky and confident, a big personality on the field. Yancey is a stark contrast, he is much more like James Jones, quieter and even-keeled. I can see why the Packers liked him because of his similarities to Jones.

I think the personality differences is why JuJu appears to be much more dynamic on the field despite not quite being as good athletically as Yancey. Personally I feel Yancey is a superior hands catcher. I have a low opinion of USC wideouts because they are not taught to catch properly. Lee and Agholor are god awful basket/body catchers. Thankfully JuJu looks much better but he does basket/body catch a tad bit too often for my liking.

I have to point out that Yancey in college this year was far, far more effective than JuJu. He had four 100+ yard games and scored at least a TD in eight different games. He did all of that in 49 catches AND he put up more total yards than JuJu.

Compare that to JuJu this year, (ignoring the bowl game) he had three 100+ yard games but only scored at least a TD in four games. He did that in 63 catches.

But the year before in 2015 JuJu played at a level that Yancey never quite reached. Six 100+ yards games and at least a TD in eight of them. He made 85 catches.

Yancey improved but JuJu declined. Why...I have no idea. Injuries? QB play? more attention from defences?

So age, production, personality, combine is all what got JuJu drafted in the 2nd round and deservedly so.

Yancey wasn't afforded the same opportunities but we may well potentially get the same quality player at a bargain basement 5th round.

Comparing those two was actually quite a fascinating exercise Laughing

Completely different players. JJSS is a middle of the field, chains moving possession type receiver. Think of like a James Jones, Anquan Boldin, Dwayne Bowe type kid. He's got some toughness to his game, he's a big slot.

Yancey is more Jeff Janis, Sammie Coates, Robert Meachum. Stiffer, straight line field stretcher. Ted's take multiple shots at this role with Janis, Dorsey, Davis and Yancey and hasn't found one to workout yet. I would say as a pure polish standpoint Yancey is probably closest to being ready. He's just not a full route tree guy. Watch him compared to Adams, similar body but the feet are night and day in favor or Adams. You don't see that elite LOS stem and ability to separate that you do with Tae. Yancey is another attempt at a deep threat guy. He's got a chance, but I don't ever see him as a top 2 guy in the league.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see more Greg Jennings than James Jones. Very smooth runner after the catch.
Donzo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Packerraymond"]
Chili wrote:

Yancey is more Jeff Janis, Sammie Coates, Robert Meachum. Stiffer, straight line field stretcher. Ted's take multiple shots at this role with Janis, Dorsey, Davis and Yancey and hasn't found one to workout yet.

Well, Yancey was drafted three weeks ago and Davis is just starting his 2nd season, I don't know how you can label them as not having worked yet.

Janis and Doresy were a couple 7th rounders, I don't know what you can expected from them. Janis has been a good 7th round value, his issues have nothing do do with his physical skill set. It's all between the ears for that dude...
vegas492

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Donzo"]
Packerraymond wrote:
Chili wrote:

Yancey is more Jeff Janis, Sammie Coates, Robert Meachum. Stiffer, straight line field stretcher. Ted's take multiple shots at this role with Janis, Dorsey, Davis and Yancey and hasn't found one to workout yet.

Well, Yancey was drafted three weeks ago and Davis is just starting his 2nd season, I don't know how you can label them as not having worked yet.

Janis and Doresy were a couple 7th rounders, I don't know what you can expected from them. Janis has been a good 7th round value, his issues have nothing do do with his physical skill set. It's all between the ears for that dude...

Not trying to be argumentative...but isn't that the same body type of a James Jones and Jordy Nelson? That body style can work.....
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: