Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5th Round (175): DeAngelo Yancey [WR; Purdue]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cadmus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
wisportsfan4 wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:
Why though?

Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Allison, Davis, Janis and now Yancey doesn't make much sense to me. Pick means we're either cutting him or one of Davis, Janis and Allison, and I like the value each of those guys bring already.

Competition. At this point, the only players with guaranteed roster spots are Nelson, Cobb, and Adams. Beyond those three, you can mix and match the WRs and probably come up with 6 WR to put on our 53 man roster.

After the way he came on last year, the fact you don't consider Geronimo a lock is alarming Shocked

Most overrated player on the roster...

I'd say by a country mile, but a lot of people still don't realize exactly how much safety help Gunter needed last year. Someone said he shutdown Beckham... Uhhh.... Ok there.

I don't think Allison makes the roster to be completely honest and I said that was my hope well before the draft. If Allison isn't on the 53 then that means we have found NFL caliber players at the WR position.

It's really as simple as that.
PackyAttacky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:

I'd say by a country mile, but a lot of people still fail to realize exactly how much safety help Gunter needed last year. Someone said he shutdown Beckham... Uhhh.... Ok there.

I don't think Allison makes the roster to be completely honest and I said that was my hope well before the draft because that would mean we found NFL caliber players at the WR position.

Yeah it is always about getting better. Fan favorites are sometimes hard to let go, but it is about making the team better.

Gotta be honest, chalk me up as one of those that had no idea Gunther had a ton of safety help. You think his job is in jeopardy or he should make the team?
Cadmus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackyAttacky wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

I'd say by a country mile, but a lot of people still fail to realize exactly how much safety help Gunter needed last year. Someone said he shutdown Beckham... Uhhh.... Ok there.

I don't think Allison makes the roster to be completely honest and I said that was my hope well before the draft because that would mean we found NFL caliber players at the WR position.

Yeah it is always about getting better. Fan favorites are sometimes hard to let go, but it is about making the team better.

Gotta be honest, chalk me up as one of those that had no idea Gunther had a ton of safety help. You think his job is in jeopardy or he should make the team?

He should make the team simply because the numbers are in his favor (and Goodson will open the season on the PUP), but he's the type of player where you will always be looking for an upgrade. (Note: I'm not saying Gunter is a bad player, but we need to be realistic people).

My best guess is if we re-sign House he probably won't be on the team in 2018. The Packers will need to draft more CBs next year because Rollins and Randall will both be scheduled to be free agents the year after.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF the Packers play more 12 personnel as mentioned by MM/Rodgers - that suggests fewer snaps for the WR crew in 2017.
Tougher to justify WR6 and Monty can play some WR snaps in a pinch
squire12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

He should make the team simply because the numbers are in his favor (and Goodson will open the season on the PUP), but he's the type of player where you will always be looking for an upgrade. (Note: I'm not saying Gunter is a bad player, but we need to be realistic people).

My best guess is if we re-sign House he probably won't be on the team in 2018. The Packers will need to draft more CBs next year because Rollins and Randall will both be scheduled to be free agents the year after.

Certainly looking to improve that aspect of the roster when possible.
For an UDFA, Gunter is a fine CB #5 or 6. All teams need those types of players on the roster as they are cheap and did not cost a draft pick.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

Certainly looking to improve that aspect of the roster when possible.
For an UDFA, Gunter is a fine CB #5 or 6. All teams need those types of players on the roster as they are cheap and did not cost a draft pick.

Agreed, but we both know the problem with Gunter being your #5 or #6 is that he isn't worth much on STs. (Same problem for Allison, but far worse). That's a huge reason why it's hard to project either on the roster beyond the 2017 season (or in Allison's case to project him on the 2017 roster).

Janis played 61.40% of ST snaps last season. Allison played (and I'm not making this up) 0.45% of ST snaps last season.

Are people starting to understand why Allison is unlikely to make the roster? The Packers now have 7 DPs at the WR position on the roster.
TheOnlyThing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus is spot on.

Everybody loves an underdog and I admire Gunter's moxie & heart but this is the NFL and you can't teach speed.

I'd be thrilled if Gunter is never again counted upon to contribute as a CB for the Pack because we have superior athletes manning the position.
cooters22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this could possibly be Ted's best pick. I think he makes the team and get some play. I can't believe he was still available this late.
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunter's problem is that he has stiff hips so he gets destroyed in the slot, but if he is kicked to the outside, especially against the #1 WR, he faces talent that is too good for him to cover. That's why we have to know what Gunter is: A CB to cover their #2 WR. And at this point, he's good depth with starting experience that knows the system. The guy was thrown to the wolves. But when he's put on the #2 CB, he has to be able to cover 1-on-1 at least a little because it's a waste to put him on the #2 WR and then still have to give S help every play. I can see him missing the cut, though, because lets not forget we have some very athletic DB's behind him that are young. Hawkins is a very athletic CB, and then Brice and Evans are pretty athletic S's.

Last year we kept 6 CB's and 6 S's. My question is how many do we keep this year and where does Kevin King fit in? Does it go Randall #1, House #2, Rollins #3 (slot), King #4, Gunter #5, and Hawkins #6? Then you put Goodson on PUP and Waters on the PS or more likely cut him? There's room in there for an UDFA to make the PS at CB or maybe push a guy off the 53 if they do really well. And we added a S in the 2nd so we can't exactly just keep an extra CB and cut down on a S.

What I really love about King long-term is that he has the agility to play the slot when teams have a really good slot, but he has the size to play outside when a team has a really tall outside WR like Evans. He's great for shutting down those TE/WR hybrids that get put in the slot a lot as well. But this is a complicated Defense and he does have some things to work on, especially recognizing the run, and so I can see keeping him off the field to start.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed in the past couple of years that the Packers have been trying to find a specific type of receiver. They've been looking for taller receivers above 6'1"tall such as Davis and bringing guys like Mitch Matthews, Moritz Boehringer for pre-draft visits as well as signing Allison as an UDFA.

This year they drafted Yancey and Dupre, both of whom are 6'1" and 6'2" respectively. They showed interest in Golladay too.

Nothing wrong with getting taller but just make sure we don't sacrifice YAC ability the Packers offence is built upon. Driver, Jennings, Jones, Cobb etc.. they all had that and our offence was elite.

I'm not convinced Yancy YAC skills is all there. He's a bit similar to Allison/Boykin who's YAC isn't very good. If he is an upgrade it won't be by much. It seems like a waste of a draft pick. I'm not sure what the Packers see in him.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili wrote:
I've noticed in the past couple of years that the Packers have been trying to find a specific type of receiver. They've been looking for taller receivers above 6'1"tall such as Davis and bringing guys like Mitch Matthews, Moritz Boehringer for pre-draft visits as well as signing Allison as an UDFA.

This year they drafted Yancey and Dupre, both of whom are 6'1" and 6'2" respectively. They showed interest in Golladay too.

Nothing wrong with getting taller but just make sure we don't sacrifice YAC ability the Packers offence is built upon. Driver, Jennings, Jones, Cobb etc.. they all had that and our offence was elite.

I figure that above 5'11" and under 6'3" is pretty much the range of "normal height for WRs". I mean, Jordy is taller than Dupre or Yancy (6025 vs. 6021 and 6015). Being an inch taller than James Jones or Davante Adams isn't going to change your game that much.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at the comps on mockdraftable for Yancey, and really glad I saw James Jones on there. Watched one of his 2015 games and immediately thought James Jones.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Looked at the comps on mockdraftable for Yancey, and really glad I saw James Jones on there. Watched one of his 2015 games and immediately thought James Jones.

I can see that JJ comp in Yancey's early college stuff. On a personal level I would like Yancey far more if he cut the pounds off. I just like him far more at 210 than I do at 225. James Jones got the pounds up there for a while also and figured out pretty fast he was better off without the beach body. Hopefully Yancey does the same. You can have a little stiffness but it can almost be a deal breaker if your too big.
skibrett15

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
CWood21 wrote:

I can see that JJ comp in Yancey's early college stuff. On a personal level I would like Yancey far more if he cut the pounds off. I just like him far more at 210 than I do at 225. James Jones got the pounds up there for a while also and figured out pretty fast he was better off without the beach body. Hopefully Yancey does the same. You can have a little stiffness but it can almost be a deal breaker if your too big.

Huh, weirdly sounds like exactly what you said about Ty Montgomery. Yancey for tallest RB ever!
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skibrett15 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
CWood21 wrote:

Huh, weirdly sounds like exactly what you said about Ty Montgomery. Yancey for tallest RB ever!

Monty is a bigger Cobb. I was pretty high on Monty that year. Just didn't love him in Green Bay with Cobb.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: