Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 4.17 (123) SS Monte Nicholson, Michigan State
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big44dog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: 2017 4.17 (123) SS Monte Nicholson, Michigan State Reply with quote

6'2" 212 pounder is one of the better box run stopping safeties in the draft. Has speed (4.42) to cover but doesn't have great hips. I'm 50/50 on this pick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think he might take a couple years to develop to his full potential since hes young and raw.
But were in a division where the run aint dead, and always play alot of teams that like to run. So I like it.
Might of been a reach, I dont know him well enough to say one way or another. But if he can be put in and help stop what teams like Dallas has done to us on the ground. Ill take it.

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 4.17 (123) Monte Nicholson,SS Michigan State Reply with quote

big44dog wrote:
6'2" 212 pounder is one of the better box run stopping safeties in the draft. Has speed (4.42) to cover but doesn't have great hips. I'm 50/50 on this pick

Should be a solid contributor on special teams!! Can't be worse than Will Blacmon and Deshazor Everett. Has time to develope!! I don't hate it!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 4.17 (123) Monte Nicholson,SS Michigan State Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
big44dog wrote:

Should be a solid contributor on special teams!! Can't be worse than Will Blacmon and Deshazor Everett. Has time to develope!! I don't hate it!

Very true, if he ends Everetts days on the roster it's worth it alone lol. I didn't see anything on him about specials. Still would have wanted Asiata or the NT from USC (tired of spelling his name)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project player. Not great in deep coverage. Would work well in a cover 3 scheme as,the robber
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our newest EJ Biggers

MKnight82

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Would have preferred Desmond King.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
Our newest EJ Biggers

That's it, Exactly!
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Would've preferred Desmond King

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
PSID412

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like he be decent on Special teams hopefully can learn behind Swearinger.

^ Awesome sig by Mike23md
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(for more information on my aggregate list see: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21502742#21502742 )

4.17 (123): Montae Nicholson, S from Michigan State

Now, you'll notice that I don't have an aggregate grade for Nicholson. That's because he didn't show up on the top 200 for any of the three sites (if you are curious: CBS = 243, DT = 257, NFL = 322; you can calculate it yourself). That's bad.

This is worse:
NFL.com's profile of Nicholson wrote:
Draft Projection PFA [Woz: that would be priority free agent]

Sources Tell Us "Big and beautiful with no impact on the game whatsoever. He just doesn't have the aggressiveness you need to play this game on this level." -- AFC national scout

Bottom Line Nicholson has outstanding size and could test well at the combine and his pro day, but his tape is blah and no amount of workouts in shorts and t-shirts will change that. Nicholson's lack of playmaking production combined with his unsure tackling make him a traits-only prospect who could have a hard time sticking in the league unless he finds more confidence and aggression.

What's even worse: he tore his labrum at the Combine and will be shelved until at least the start of training camp, which means he misses those critical mini-camp practices between now and then. Yes, so does Moreau, who I liked. However, when you have a guy whose profile says "could have a hard time sticking in the league unless he finds more confidence and aggression," he needs all the reps he can get.

That said, the thing that makes this pick straight up atrocious: Desmond King was sitting RIGHT THERE. King graded out as the 4th overall aggregate prospect available on Day 3 with a mid 3rd round grade (81.0, 7.79 std dev; CBS = 70, DT = 87, NFL = 86). So when you go pick select a guy who is projected as an undrafted free agent over a guy who is a nearly a full round's worth of value AT THE SAME POSITION?

You done effed up.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
(for more information on my aggregate list see: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21502742#21502742 )

Now, you'll notice that I don't have an aggregate grade for Nicholson. That's because he didn't show up on the top 200 for any of the three sites (if you are curious: CBS = 243, DT = 257, NFL = 322; you can calculate it yourself). That's bad.

This is worse:

Sources Tell Us "Big and beautiful with no impact on the game whatsoever. He just doesn't have the aggressiveness you need to play this game on this level." -- AFC national scout

Bottom Line Nicholson has outstanding size and could test well at the combine and his pro day, but his tape is blah and no amount of workouts in shorts and t-shirts will change that. Nicholson's lack of playmaking production combined with his unsure tackling make him a traits-only prospect who could have a hard time sticking in the league unless he finds more confidence and aggression.

What's even worse: he tore his labrum at the Combine and will be shelved until at least the start of training camp, which means he misses those critical mini-camp practices between now and then. Yes, so does Moreau, who I liked. However, when you have a guy whose profile says "could have a hard time sticking in the league unless he finds more confidence and aggression," he needs all the reps he can get.

That said, the thing that makes this pick straight up atrocious: Desmond King was sitting RIGHT THERE. King graded out as the 4th overall aggregate prospect available on Day 3 with a mid 3rd round grade (81.0, 7.79 std dev; CBS = 70, DT = 87, NFL = 86). So when you go pick select a guy who is projected as an undrafted free agent over a guy who is a nearly a full round's worth of value AT THE SAME POSITION?

You done effed up.
I agree. This is the worst pick we made in this draft.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
DCRED

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, Woz.
I had that feeling when I saw the pick. Makes me a little sick to my stomach how stupid they are
mike23md

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:

This is worse:

You done effed up.

As a person that evaluates talent in the draft class, I really liked this pick. Now, I had not seen Desmond King was available, which makes me question the front office. Ideally, was King rated as a CB them or was he rated as S? Don't think we will know, but the fact they didn't pick him there, makes me think they rated him as a CB.

King was a tweener. Some sites had him at S some at CB and since he worked out with the DB's at the combine, it doesn't truly separate him.

I flipped back and forth on him a few times. I settled at S.

If they had him rated at S, then they clearly didn't do any post Scot evaluation at the S position.

Nicholson is really not a bad pick. He needs to be coached and focused on his role and how to ideally play S, at least an in the box S to back up Cravens, but its not a bad pick.

I did have him rated in the 4th round though once I looked at some tape and his combine performance.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 4.17 (123) Monte Nicholson,SS Michigan State Reply with quote

big44dog wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
big44dog wrote:

Very true, if he ends Everetts days on the roster it's worth it alone lol. I didn't see anything on him about specials. Still would have wanted Asiata or the NT from USC (tired of spelling his name)

What's wrong with Everett? He's a stud special teamer who absolutely destroys people when he's out there. He's more than earned his roster spot these few years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: