You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4.120: MINN - Ben Gedeon [LB #42] Michigan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also his twitter background photo is amazing:

https://twitter.com/bgedeon42?lang=en
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were talking on KFAN on the 3rd day of the draft about him, which I was hearing kind of while i was driving around during the day, and I think one of the big things for me and why I don't dislike the pick too much (was surprising to me), is the idea that yes, he can take over for Kendricks in the middle. He needs to be in the middle to cover up his pass defense, and Kendricks would be better on the outside where he can go sideline to sideline more instead of going into the middle since Kendricks is a bit undersized for an ILB and taking on those OL men.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
They were talking on KFAN on the 3rd day of the draft about him, which I was hearing kind of while i was driving around during the day, and I think one of the big things for me and why I don't dislike the pick too much (was surprising to me), is the idea that yes, he can take over for Kendricks in the middle. He needs to be in the middle to cover up his pass defense, and Kendricks would be better on the outside where he can go sideline to sideline more instead of going into the middle since Kendricks is a bit undersized for an ILB and taking on those OL men.

Kendricks on the outside would keep him cleaner; letting him use his blazing closing speed better instead of having to constantly stack and shed and scrap through OL and trash. Let Gedeon do the dirty work and Kendricks clean up with the splash plays.
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
He needs to be in the middle to cover up his pass defense, and Kendricks would be better on the outside where he can go sideline to sideline more instead of going into the middle since Kendricks is a bit undersized for an ILB and taking on those OL men.

I think the whole notion of having a big MLB and fast OLBs is extremely outdated, and doesn't fit our defense at all.

The 3rd LB is almost never going to play in passing downs, so why would the WLB need to be fast or good in coverage? Even on early downs the MLB is dropping into deep coverage or playing man coverage just as much (if not more) than the WLB.

I think one of the big reasons the run defense wasn't great was because Greenway was never big enough and never was very good at shedding blocks to make tackles. Our 3rd LB should be a big, smart player who can take on blocks. That is exactly what Gedeon is.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference in case anyone was interested.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/ben-gedeon?position=LB

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:

What do you think that graphic is about on the first page?? Think

Laughing

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching some highlights, this guy has very good instincts, he finds the ball carrier with ease, and he closes in fast when coming down hill. I like the pick.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Watching some highlights, this guy has very good instincts, he finds the ball carrier with ease, and he closes in fast when coming down hill. I like the pick.

closing speed is definitely one huge plus i noticed with his cut ups. Pretty sweet.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
VikeManDan wrote:

What do you think that graphic is about on the first page?? Think

Laughing

Sometimes it helps to have the visual!! Laughing

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
Dolmonite26

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
The Gnat wrote:
He needs to be in the middle to cover up his pass defense, and Kendricks would be better on the outside where he can go sideline to sideline more instead of going into the middle since Kendricks is a bit undersized for an ILB and taking on those OL men.

I think the whole notion of having a big MLB and fast OLBs is extremely outdated, and doesn't fit our defense at all.

The 3rd LB is almost never going to play in passing downs, so why would the WLB need to be fast or good in coverage? Even on early downs the MLB is dropping into deep coverage or playing man coverage just as much (if not more) than the WLB.

I think one of the big reasons the run defense wasn't great was because Greenway was never big enough and never was very good at shedding blocks to make tackles. Our 3rd LB should be a big, smart player who can take on blocks. That is exactly what Gedeon is.

Yeah Gedeon actually profiles really well as a WLB for this team, who is asked to set the edge and beat up on TEs. Basically what a Sam backer is thought of.

Whereas Kendrick's speed is a big plus in the middle

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid has some heavy hands. Knocked Elflein to the ground with a great punch when taking on a block.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Dolmonite26

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting more and more excited about this pick the more I watch. We can argue value all day, but the end goal of the draft is to acquire good players, not imaginary currency.

Gedeon is going to be a good player.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gedeon seems like a very atypical Zimmer player. More instinctive player without the measurables, rather than the high ceiling athletic types who can be coached up that we've seen in recent years. Maybe that was by design. At worst, he sounds like a good backup quality LB who should be an asset on special teams.
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear pick to beaf up our run defense. Adds flexibility in the run game. It will depend on the opponent on who plays where (between Kendricks and Gedeon).

Flexibility on defense is what Zimmer really likes. Our front-seven should be devn better this year.

Take Joe Mixon.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

battle2heaven wrote:
The Gnat wrote:

Kendricks on the outside would keep him cleaner; letting him use his blazing closing speed better instead of having to constantly stack and shed and scrap through OL and trash. Let Gedeon do the dirty work and Kendricks clean up with the splash plays.

I still favor Brothers playing in the middle Gedeon. Would prefer Kendricks staying inside with Lamur/Lee playing outside even more.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: