You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4.120: MINN - Ben Gedeon [LB #42] Michigan
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: 4.120: MINN - Ben Gedeon [LB #42] Michigan Reply with quote

2017 Aggregate Draft Board

Last edited by rpmwr19 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strength and agility stand out to me, good sized prospect. Can he play OLB? We seems pretty deep at MLB with Kendricks and Brothers and light at OLB.

Im glad to see DT and LB addressed early in round four, especially before WR, CB and TE.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really solid measureables for an ILB. Maybe Kendricks to WLB?

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
VIKINGS101011

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm don't know much about him. Seems like there was better value out there but we'll see how it works out. Looks like he would be a very good special teams player at the very least
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First pick i dont really like. Id much rather have had one of the talented TE's.

Oh well, not every pick can be a homerun. I guess he plays ST early. Confused

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While some coaches and scouts have griped about the 2017 NFL Combine bench press being open to the public, former Michigan linebacker Ben Gedeon stepped onto the stage and crushed it.

Twenty-seven times.

The ex-Wolverines standout topped all linebackers who participated in the bench press at the NFL combine Saturday with 27 reps of 225 pounds.

According to a spreadsheet compiled by Boston blogger Mike Loyko, the historical average at the combine for bench reps by an outside and inside linebacker is 23. The combine record for a linebacker is 36.

Given Gedeon’s weight room history, we probably shouldn’t have been surprised. As one of the stronger Wolverines pound-for-pound — and one of the strongest Wolverines, period — the Ohio native has been down this road before.

https://www.landof10.com/michigan/2017-nfl-combine-former-michigan-wolverines-linebacker-ben-gedeon-just-absolutely-crushed-bench-press-baby

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen him, but he tested very well for a 244lber.
Robb_K

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIKINGS101011 wrote:
Hmm don't know much about him. Seems like there was better value out there but we'll see how it works out. Looks like he would be a very good special teams player at the very least

I wondered why they didn't pick Siragusa, instead. Isn't the depth on the OL still dangerously low?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robb_K wrote:
VIKINGS101011 wrote:

I wondered why they didn't pick Siragusa, instead. Isn't the depth on the OL still dangerously low?

Roderick Johnson and Asiata are still there.

Depth at the tackle position is more concerning to me than interior positions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During his first three seasons playing for Michigan football, Gedeon saw the field plenty, but he started just once. Yet, this past season, he took over the middle linebacker position and never looked back.

The senior not only played well, he excelled. Gedeon finished the season with 94 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. He earned Second-Team All-Big Ten honors and was one of seven Michigan football players to take part in last Saturday’s Senior Bowl.

Often times, at All-Star games, practice matters more than game day. And during the week, Gedeon performed well. But it was nothing compared to what he did for the North Squad during the game, notching nine tackles and forced a fumble.

Coming into the game, Gedeon was viewed as a late-round pick. The Senior Bowl gave him a chance to shine and he did. Now he has to build on that momentum at the combine and in private workouts. But make no mistake, he opened eyes in Mobile last week.

“He’s a classic Mike linebacker. He’s the signal caller on their defense at Michigan, the guy that kind of choreographed everything in terms of putting their defense together, a productive player for them,” said Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage. “This will be an opportunity for him to show he can play out in space and cover out of the backfield. People are looking for the three-down linebacker.”

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/michigan-football-ben-gedeon-s-nfl-draft-stock-is-rising-after-senior-bowl-013017

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Really solid measureables for an ILB. Maybe Kendricks to WLB?

I think that could be ideal in base D. Just a surprising pick, good point in the other thread about getting tougher against the run. Better not wear 42...

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
Freakout

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude tracks the ball well. Not a lot of hesitation.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OVERVIEW
Toughness and intelligence runs in the Gedeon family. Ben's brother, Alex, was a team captain for Harvard football and another brother, Sam, played sprint football and rugby at the Naval Academy. The younger Gedeon excelled in his final year with the Wolverines in 2016, earning second-team All-Big Ten notice after leading the squad with 106 tackles (15.5 for loss, 4.5 for loss). Gedeon contributed heavily without being a full-time starter in his three previous seasons. He had 19 tackles and a sack as a true freshman after being an all-state running back in Ohio. Gedeon then made 17 stops and a sack in 2014, and even started a game while racking up 34 tackles, three for loss, in his junior season.

STRENGTHS Keeps pads square. Does a good job of punching blockers early and keeping himself in position to make a play. Shows ability to play off of block and keep his contain shoulder clean. Doesn't fly downhill unnecessarily. Plays with instincts in the middle. Processes well sifting through blocks and bodies to find the ball carrier. Mindful of tight ends redirecting their routes when he gets a chance. Quick to jump into the way of crossing routes to disrupt. Wants to eat on special teams. Played cover teams all four years and finished with 23 special teams tackles.

WEAKNESSES Just an average athlete. Charged with 13 missed tackles this season. Lacks pursuit speed and reactive athleticism to consistently secure tackles in space. Gets engulfed at times and lacks a counter to unhinge quickly from a player's length. Initial footwork before the chase can be plodding and heavy. Doesn't have a burst gear to keep pace with NFL speed. Man coverage responsibilities could become a chore.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 4-5

SOURCES TELL US "I thought he should have been in the Senior Bowl. He's consistent and I like his technique. If Jake Ryan could start at one point, I wouldn't be surprised if Gedeon doesn't get that chance too." - NFC regional scout

BOTTOM LINE Gedeon has ample size and talent to become an NFL backup at middle linebacker, but his bread will be buttered as a special teams performer as he has the instincts and fearlessness needed to succeed in that area. He can step in and get you through a game at inside linebacker, but his lack of speed and short area quickness could be picked at on the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ben-gedeon?id=2558033

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
SOURCES TELL US "I thought he should have been in the Senior Bowl. He's consistent and I like his technique. If Jake Ryan could start at one point, I wouldn't be surprised if Gedeon doesn't get that chance too." - NFC regional scout

He was, see the link I posted above

LOL nice job NFC scout

Last edited by Klomp on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
meixdaddy_10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im surprised by this pick. LB is needed but more so OLB. I felt we could have gotten him later. But i'll trust the front office. They've done a great job over the last few years.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: