Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 4.07 (114) RB Samaje Perine, Oklahoma
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dashing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a week 1 starter .
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast!!!!

https://youtu.be/gUzo5zu2uYg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
He's a week 1 starter .

You really think that? Lol

I can see him being a short yardage blocking back or running back but he has zero chance to start in 17.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I begin, I want to say:

"Hello, my name is Woz. And I'm a data nerd."

I stayed up until nearly 3AM last night aggregating the remaining top 200 prospects as determined by CBS, DraftTek and NFL.com. If a given player showed up in the top 200 of one of those sites, I marked them down and then found their score in the other two lists. I then averaged the grades together and then took the standard deviation to show how much dispute were between the lists.

In the case of DraftTek and NFL.com, they only went to the top 400 prospects, so if they weren't listed, I scored them with 401. Incidentally, that is why Caleb Brantley ranked 64th and had one of the highest deviations (NFL.com had him as their 24th prospect). Personally, I think that NFL.com not devaluing Brantley is a joke, but that's a topic for another time and probably another place (teams obviously devalued him).

So, on to my evaluation of Perine:

4.07 (114): Samaje Perine, RB from Oklahoma; 12th overall in my aggregate with an average of 111.0 (std dev: 19.51; DT = 137, CBS = 106, NFL = 90)

Perine was the best remaining running back on the list for all three lists. As a player in and of himself, he sounds a bit like a rich man's version of Rob Kelley: power runner who rarely loses yards but isn't going to get more than what is there in front of him. He's a solid pick, but I'm not sure he's much different than what we already have. Still, in and of himself, he looks to be a solid 4th round pick.

I hate that we selected him.

Not because of anything is wrong with Perine, but in what we ignored by taking him. Because at 115th overall, the Arizona Cardinals swooped in (no pun intended) and selected Dorian Johnson, guard out of Pittsburgh. Not only is the left guard the weakest position on the Redskins' offense, but Johnson was the second best available player remaining on Day 3. His average position was 67.7 (std. dev of 4.11), so each site projected him as a late round 2, early round 3 player. Getting him in round 4 is spectacular value ... for the Cardinals.

As best as I can tell, selecting Perine was solely the Redskins front office becoming myopic and saying to themselves "we MUST get a running back!" Rumors started flying yesterday that they wanted to get another running back and were putting Matt Jones on the trading block.

So, since Perine reads out a bit like what they already have in Kelley, I must conclude they just straight up screwed the pooch here.

Will Perine be a bad player to add to the Redskins? No. As others have said, he's a solid 4th round pick. But when you consider what we passed on to get him, this was stupid.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Before I begin, I want to say:

"Hello, my name is Woz. And I'm a data nerd."

I stayed up until nearly 3AM last night aggregating the remaining top 200 prospects as determined by CBS, DraftTek and NFL.com. If a given player showed up in the top 200 of one of those sites, I marked them down and then found their score in the other two lists. I then averaged the grades together and then took the standard deviation to show how much dispute were between the lists.

In the case of DraftTek and NFL.com, they only went to the top 400 prospects, so if they weren't listed, I scored them with 401. Incidentally, that is why Caleb Brantley ranked 64th and had one of the highest deviations (NFL.com had him as their 24th prospect). Personally, I think that NFL.com not devaluing Brantley is a joke, but that's a topic for another time and probably another place (teams obviously devalued him).

So, on to my evaluation of Perine:

4.07 (114): Samaje Perine, RB from Oklahoma; 12th overall in my aggregate with an average of 111.0 (std dev: 19.51; DT = 137, CBS = 106, NFL = 90)

Perine was the best remaining running back on the list for all three lists. As a player in and of himself, he sounds a bit like a rich man's version of Rob Kelley: power runner who rarely loses yards but isn't going to get more than what is there in front of him. He's a solid pick, but I'm not sure he's much different than what we already have. Still, in and of himself, he looks to be a solid 4th round pick.

I hate that we selected him.

Not because of anything is wrong with Perine, but in what we ignored by taking him. Because at 115th overall, the Arizona Cardinals swooped in (no pun intended) and selected Dorian Johnson, guard out of Pittsburgh. Not only is the left guard the weakest position on the Redskins' offense, but Johnson was the second best available player remaining on Day 3. His average position was 67.7 (std. dev of 4.11), so each site projected him as a late round 2, early round 3 player. Getting him in round 4 is spectacular value ... for the Cardinals.

As best as I can tell, selecting Perine was solely the Redskins front office becoming myopic and saying to themselves "we MUST get a running back!" Rumors started flying yesterday that they wanted to get another running back and were putting Matt Jones on the trading block.

So, since Perine reads out a bit like what they already have in Kelley, I must conclude they just straight up screwed the pooch here.

Will Perine be a bad player to add to the Redskins? No. As others have said, he's a solid 4th round pick. But when you consider what we passed on to get him, this was stupid.

I'm mixed on Perine. I agree with you about passing on an OG for him. When the Pitt Guard went right after us I was miffed. But I keep seeing this vision of Perine bowling over linebackers for 5-6 yard gains, and it makes me crack a smile. I think we need to see what he can do before we pan this pick.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Dashing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
Dashing wrote:
He's a week 1 starter .

I can see him being a short yardage blocking back or running back but he has zero chance to start in 17.

Has more upside than Kelly and Matt jones isn't getting any playing time . Chris Thompson a third down back.

Easily this dude will be a week one starter he sees the holes and can get you three yards. A carry.
Woz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
Dashing wrote:
He's a week 1 starter .

Has more upside than Kelly and Matt jones isn't getting any playing time . Chris Thompson a third down back.

Easily this dude will be a week one starter he sees the holes and can get you three yards. A carry.

The question is can he turn that 3 yards/carry into something more. Because Rob Kelley can do that right now.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
Dashing wrote:
He's a week 1 starter .

All time leading rusher in Oklahoma history. Its not like he is William and Mary's all time leading rusher. He is ahead of guys like Billy Sims and Adrian Peterson. He is a punishing runner with good vision. Above average hands out of the back field. Clinton Portis like in pass protection. This guy looks for people to punish! Samaje and Fat Rob will be thunder and louder thunder. I can see Fat Rob getting time at FB.
He is not the fastest guy, but he has tons of long runs on tape! I'm not sure what is not to like! One of my favorite picks. This guy is a Scott Mc guy all day! This is what Scott invisioned former Redskins Matt Jones being!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
Dashing wrote:
He's a week 1 starter .

All time leading rusher in Oklahoma history. Its not like he is William and Mary's all time leading rusher. He is ahead of guys like Billy Sims and Adrian Peterson. He is a punishing runner with good vision. Above average hands out of the back field. Clinton Portis like in pass protection. This guy looks for people to punish! Samaje and Fat Rob will be thunder and louder thunder. I can see Fat Rob getting time at FB.
He is not the fastest guy, but he has tons of long runs on tape! I'm not sure what is not to like! One of my favorite picks. This guy is a Scott Mc guy all day! This is what Scott invisioned former Redskins Matt Jones being!

All time leading rusher means he was healthy and played a lot of games. While the health aspect is good, it also means he's got quite a bit of wear on the tires already.

Like I said, Perine in and of himself is okay. Taking him over Dorian Johnson was a self-inflicted wound.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to make the point that 4,122 yards and 49 tads means he is more than a short yardage back! He had 427 yards against Kansas as a freshman!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
I was trying to make the point that 4,122 yards and 49 tads means he is more than a short yardage back! He had 427 yards against Kansas as a freshman!

1. In general, the Big XII is not known for their defensive prowess.
2. Kansas is amongst the weakest teams in the Big XII.

As I said, he's a solid RB pick in isolation. He could get a lot of carries as a rookie.

However, I don't see what he adds that we didn't already have. I also think that going in a different direction (i.e. Dorian Johnson) would have created much better returns for Kelley or a "lesser" running back like say Brian Hill in the 5th or De'Angelo Henderson in the 6th (again, my small school bias shows through a bit).
MKnight82

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:

1. In general, the Big XII is not known for their defensive prowess.
2. Kansas is amongst the weakest teams in the Big XII.

As I said, he's a solid RB pick in isolation. He could get a lot of carries as a rookie.

However, I don't see what he adds that we didn't already have. I also think that going in a different direction (i.e. Dorian Johnson) would have created much better returns for Kelley or a "lesser" running back like say Brian Hill in the 5th or De'Angelo Henderson in the 6th (again, my small school bias shows through a bit).
When we drafted Alfred Morris how many of us thought he'd go for 1,500 yards? I'm choosing to be optimistic on Perine.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
Dashing wrote:
He's a week 1 starter .

Id actually be more impressed with the guy if he did it anywhere BUT Oklahoma. lol
If I had to list my top 10 all time worst defenses. The past few years of B12 football would fill every slot. Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas, KSU, ISU, then WVU with the 3-5-5 against the run. OU is always LOADED on the front 5.

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our biggest issues on offense was scoring in the red zone. This is a Running Back who can punch it in for us. I'm thrilled about this pick. He also barely puts the ball on the ground which seemingly killed Matt Jones' career.

mike23md on the sig!

Adopt a Redskin:
WR Jamison Crowder
mar29020

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the pick but as much as we sit in the gun i really wanted a dual threat RB. sometime when we bring in Thompson it is a clear sign we are throwing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: