You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Day 3 Seahawk Selections - Updated with Presser Notes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Day 3 Seahawk Selections - Updated with Presser Notes Reply with quote

4.111 - S Tedric Thompson

Quick Presser Note: John Schneider raved about his ball production multiple times. They talked about his short area quickness and that he is a versatile defender. Pete was asked if he was a fit at FS and in a Pete sort of way said that was where they picked him to play/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-tedric-thompson-s-colorado/

Quote:
STRENGTHS Quality athlete with desired long speed. High school wide receiver with good hands and outstanding ball skills. Can climb the ladder and challenge the jump ball. Works to stay in front of the route rather than trailing. Instincts and athleticism lead him to the throw. Successfully reads quarterback's intentions. Takes the playmaker's path to throws targeting catch point over receiver. Squeezes top of the route in zone. Finished with 10 interceptions at Colorado. Covers skills are a plus. Older brother, Cedric, was exceptional athlete as safety at Minnesota and was drafted by the Dolphins in 2015.

WEAKNESSES Average height for position and needs more muscle on his frame. Desire as a playmaker can be used against him. Bait routes can pull his attention away from deep help responsibilities in single-high looks. Path to ball as downhill tackler needs improvement. Grab-and-drag arm tackler over wrap-up finisher. Tends to attack from angles rather than squared up as tackler. Not much thud behind his pads as a hitter. Missed final four games of 2014 with lingering effects from a concussion.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 3-4

BOTTOM LINE Thompson in an instinctive cover safety with strong ball skills and a history of production during his time at Colorado. Lacks physicality to operate around the box, but his football intelligence and playmaking skills will get him drafted and could give him a shot at eventually starting.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/tedric-thompson?id=2557881

Quote:
Tedric Thompson is a very talented safety and a great value pick in round four. He led the NCAA in passes defended last season (23) and recorded seven interceptions and 16 PBUs. He averaged 1.64 passes defended a game, which is a terrific number even for a defensive back. He really jumped off the screen when watching Colorado in 2016. Hes a rangy, playmaking free safety who will provide special teams value and needed depth behind Earl Thomas.

6.187 - CB Michael Tyson

Quick Presser Note: Despite being a safety/nickel defender in college it was pretty clear they were going to try him at outside CB first. Nearly 6'2" and 32 1/2" arms were alluded to by JS. JS loved, loved his feet.

Quote:
STRENGTHS Wrap-up tackler who lands chest first and drags ball carriers down quickly. Good finishing rate as a tackler and doesn't let many slip away. Attacks downhill once he diagnoses run. Prefers to meet running backs and receiver screens in the backfield when possible. Has experience covering the slot and playing zone underneath. Plays with adequate route anticipation. If receiver gives route away prematurely, he will respond. Defends throws with well-timed inside hand to disrupt catch point. Communicative on the field and plays with football intelligence.

WEAKNESSES Hip tightness makes it hard to handle coverage in space. Defense allowed him to sit down in relatively small patch of grass to do much of his work. Slight hesitation in his downhill close-outs to the throw. Much better playing forward than backward. Slow to flip hips and run with any speed. Allows too much vertical separation on go routes. Tends to get lost when back is to the quarterback. Slow to get head around and find the football allowing receivers to make necessary adjustments. All five of his interceptions came in two games.

DRAFT PROJECTION PFA

BOTTOM LINE Plays with pretty good football instincts and is competitive challenging the run, but his inconsistencies in deep coverage could cause teams to shy away from using him anywhere but near the line of scrimmage. Tyson has average safety skills and could benefit with more weight work if he has to become a full-time box safety with tight end coverage ability.

6.210 - LT/OT Justin Senior

Quick Presser Note: PC made a nice joke about how they couldn't get out of the draft without a Canadian (he's from Montreal I believe). JS said his Junior tape is a lot better than his Senior tape. He played at 295 as a Junior and was up around 315-317 as a Senior. He believed that he was phenomenal in pass pro as a Junior. Basically said it was up to him if he wanted to play in the NFL or not and they would be working with him on making sure he stays at a good weight.

Quote:
STRENGTHS Gains adequate ground in his slides. Keeps chin tucked and helmet out of his pass sets. Hitch-free punch is generally well-timed. Inside hand is stiff. Throws strikes with strong hands that glue to the frame. Adequate mirror after engagement. Able to reset hands and keep defenders at the end of his long arms. Body control is adequate. Smart angles to his blocks and can have an impact on second level. Works feet into lateral position before engaging. Drive power comes from inner foot. Intelligent with good field awareness.

WEAKNESSES Footwork is inconsistent. Needs more bulk and more muscle in his upper body. Movement lacks desired flexibility. Weight distribution in a consistent issue. Gets weight too far outside in his pass sets opening an inside lane. Too willing to chase speed with a gallop around the edge rather than maintaining technique. Struggles to drop pad level and can be rocked onto one foot as wall-off blocker. Has anchor problems against good speed-to-power. Stiff-legged with limited effectiveness when asked to pull.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 6-7

BOTTOM LINE Senior has long arms and strong hands, but his lack of bend and inconsistent footwork could cripple his NFL cause if he doesn't improve them. Senior is a right tackle only who has three years of experience against talented, SEC defensive ends but he struggled badly at times in the Senior Bowl. His size could get him drafted, but he has some work to do before ever hitting an NFL field.

7.226 - WR David Moore

Quick Presser Note: Noted he was a physical specimen. Not a lot else said from what I recall

7.249 - RB Chris Carson

Quick Presser Note: JUCO transfer. Didn't figure it out his first year and what banged up to start his senior year. Made the most of his carries when he finally got to play. Pete loved the way he ran with urgency and alluded to the fact that it was in some ways similar to Rawls

Quote:
STRENGTHS Built like an NFL running back. Chiseled from granite with a broad chest and thickly muscled shoulders. Reinvented himself from finesse to power after ribbing in the running backs meeting room. Lead shoulder carries pop in it. Drops pads at impact and is able to drive through initial contact. Bow-legged gait produces wider frame with better balance. Leg tackles often slide off and are left with nothing. Will press line of scrimmage to set up subtle cutback opportunity. Able to create separation out of backfield on crossing routes. Has adequate wiggle in open field after the catch. Never fumbled in 212 carries at Oklahoma State.

WEAKNESSES Runs with tight hips and low-knee action. Runs too upright. Missing the flexibility to sink and cut sharply. Long strider who will struggle to gather his feet quickly enough for sudden change of direction against early penetration. Burst through line of of scrimmage is average. Lacks explosive, playmaking potential. Never notched a rush of over 26 yards during his 212 carries at Oklahoma State. Missed time this season and last with injuries.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7-PFA

BOTTOM LINE Carson is an immediate winner of the eyeball test, but that hasn't always been true of his running style. His shift from finesse to a more power-based running style fits his size and physical attributes and gives him a better shot of playing on Sundays. Carson is suited to a downhill attack that allows him to be the hammer rather than the nail, but he's unlikely to create for himself with elusiveness or speed. If Carson works out well, he could hear his name called on Day 3.

#1 ET Supporter

Last edited by Tatupu_64 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedric Thompson is my favorite pick so far. He is a FS for us. He has range and is a playmaker. Really happy with this one

#1 ET Supporter
brseahawks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite pick is Darbor and Tedric is a close second.

This draft is growing on me. They addressed as of now, exactly what I wanted them to address (load DL, load DB, one receiver, stay put on Ramczyk and Cam Robinson...), only the names were not the ones I wanted.

I still want someone to push Marsh.

I want the Seahawks to be aggressive here and trade into the 5th round. Gotta hate to spend one full round without drafting. 6th+7th+future 6th. Specially if Asiata or Watkins falls.
NFL_Announcer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Tedric Thompson is my favorite pick so far. He is a FS for us. He has range and is a playmaker. Really happy with this one

OMG Tat!!!?!? Do we agree finally? lol.

I LOVED the Tedric pick. IMO he's the perfect backup for Earl Thomas in the event he can't make it back or goes down. His instincts are right on par with Earl, he just needs to figure out some mechanics which I think will easily get figured out with Sherman/Thomas/Chancellor and Carroll himself on the Seahawks payroll.

Even though I gave it a C... I might put McDowell on my favorite list because to me he's Carlos Dunlap all over again (who I WANTED Seattle to draft way back) and the sexiness of McDowell/Bennett/Avril and even Clark all rushing the passer is just too much.

But Tedric is definitely 2nd if not tied with McDowell.
SoS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaq and Tedric picks tell me that Pete is tired of the lack of turnovers that this defense is generating. Both guys who are very skilled at locating and making a play on the ball.

Kinda bummed we're relegating ourselves to depth players at this point, but I know we need it.
NFL_Announcer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
The Shaq and Tedric picks tell me that Pete is tired of the lack of turnovers that this defense is generating. Both guys who are very skilled at locating and making a play on the ball.

Kinda bummed we're relegating ourselves to depth players at this point, but I know we need it.

Well Thomas will be slow to get back, we need someone to potentially fill in. IMO Shaq should be competing for a starting spot, especially with Shead out for a while.

Malik and Ethan do not seem like depth players to me. Sounds like (based on what Tat said) that Ethan could start right away at OT and Malik if he gets his head on straight is an immediate impact starter on passing downs.
brseahawks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:

I don't see it that way. Guys like Delano Hill and Bradley McDougald are must have in this team's transition to a 4-2-5 base. These types of player are soon going to play 60%+ of the defensive snaps. Gotta cover the Larry Fitzgerald, Mike Evans, Martellus Bennett, Austin Hooper and Evan Engram of the World. Covering the nickel with a bigger safety also balances the run game better and offers more in blitzing than with the smallish traditional nickelback.

This is why a guy like Melifonwu is so attractive, even with rd. 5 type of tape.

Last edited by brseahawks on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
imani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Thompson pick for two reasons.

Obviously he had great hands and ball skills, but what I love the most his ability to read and react extremely fast and have the athleticism to put himself in position. It also just leaps out on tape how passionate he is for the game. Very fired up and energetic player, he'll fit right in to the culture.

Fully expect to here about Russell getting picked off by this young man in training camp multiple times.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
imani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't offer very much in run support but he tackles well in the secondary and if he was 0.2 faster in the 40 as well present in the run game , he would be a day one pick IMO. He would make an exceptional return man with that extra gear as well.

Luckily his questions about his man coverage ability won't be much of a problem here.

brseahawks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th safety added in this offseason.
imani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry.....3 safeties?

Well one things for certain, we're going to be better at safety this season lol

SoS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL_Announcer wrote:
SoS wrote:

Well Thomas will be slow to get back, we need someone to potentially fill in. IMO Shaq should be competing for a starting spot, especially with Shead out for a while.

Malik and Ethan do not seem like depth players to me. Sounds like (based on what Tat said) that Ethan could start right away at OT and Malik if he gets his head on straight is an immediate impact starter on passing downs.

I was more referring to all of our selections after Shaq. We had four 3 rounders, an area where you're ideally still looking for starting caliber players, and it feels as though we settled for three situational role players/special teamers with those last three picks of Friday.

Tedric is a quality band-aid if Earl is forced to miss regular season games and should also flash as a 2-high safety on passing downs.

I don't see Delano having the man coverage skills to be an ideal nickel option.

I have a feeling they see Mike Tyson as a nickel corner, who dabbled at that position at Cincy.
brseahawks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bcondotta

Tyson says Seahawks told him be open to play anywhere in secondary but be ready to compete at press corner. So sounds like CB initially.

1:21 PM 29 Apr 2017
imani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
NFL_Announcer wrote:
SoS wrote:

I was more referring to all of our selections after Shaq. We had four 3 rounders, an area where you're ideally still looking for starting caliber players, and it feels as though we settled for three situational role players/special teamers with those last three picks of Friday.

Tedric is a quality band-aid if Earl is forced to miss regular season games and should also flash as a 2-high safety on passing downs.

I don't see Delano having the man coverage skills to be an ideal nickel option.

I have a feeling they see Mike Tyson as a nickel corner, who dabbled at that position at Cincy.

True, though he dabbled at Sam linebacker much more often according to reports.

brseahawks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amara Darboh vs David Moore

Darboh:
H: 6'2"
W: 214 lbs
40y d: 4.45 s
VJ: 36" (36.5" pro day)
BJ: 10.03"
20y s: 4.27 s(Pro day)
3c: 6.81 s(Pro day)

David Moore (Pro day):
H: 6'1"
W: 219 lbs
40y d: 4.43 s
VJ: 36.5"
BJ: 10.04"
20y s: 4.38 s
3c: 6.98 s

Almost identical physical profiles

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: