Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4.109: MINN - Jaleel Johnson [DT #94] Iowa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my favorite pick of the draft so far. Thought he could have been in play at pick 48. I really like the upside as a pass rusher. Ability is there, needs to improve in the run game. Zimmer had success with Geno Atkins, who was also drafted in round four.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Probably my favorite pick of the draft so far. Thought he could have been in play at pick 48. I really like the upside as a pass rusher. Ability is there, needs to improve in the run game. Zimmer had success with Geno Atkins, who was also drafted in round four.
i watched Johnson last night I was impressed. I think I see run stop potential and the pass rush is definitely there to be developed
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming Floyd can't play, I can definitely see Jaleel being the "starter" and playing on running downs, and Datone Jones and/or Robison coming in on passing situations.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
Assuming Floyd can't play, I can definitely see Jaleel being the "starter" and playing on running downs, and Datone Jones and/or Robison coming in on passing situations.
i think i see Jaleel as the new Johnson. Adios, Tom, i think. Not really a run stopped imo.more like what we got, but can be developed into what we need. Just my 2 cents.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it was me and RPM projecting him as at late 1st early second prior to the shrine game. He is going to be a fricken stud. If anybody wondered he reached the highest speed at the shrine game but did end up with a slow 40

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge fan of this pick. With Floyd injured and who knows how much longer he'll be able to continue. Johnson gives us a great option, and I don't think that he will cause the Vikings to let Tom Johnson go, but man, I love the pick.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this pick for you guys. Can play either spot inside. Suspect Zimmer and Edwards are going to love working with him

Kiltman on the sig & avy
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/jaleel-johnson-ready-to-hit-the-mat-for-the-vikings/420828323/

"We had a lot of activity [with the 109th pick]," Spielman said. "We felt very strongly those big defensive linemen were going to go early, and we felt what we'd seen at Iowa, his flexibility to play nose tackle and under tackle. … We felt he gives us some flexibility and some pass-rush ability in line."

The Vikings needed to add Johnson if only to add to the roster beyond 2017. Nose tackle Linval Joseph is the only experienced interior defender under contract after this season with Sharrif Floyd, Tom Johnson, Shamar Stephen and Datone Jones all entering contract years.

Zimmer sees Johnson's role as flexible between playing nose behind Joseph and the defensive tackle spot occupied by either Tom Johnson, Jones or Floyd, should he successfully recover from nerve damage suffered during surgery in September.

"He'll probably be a swing guy," Zimmer said of Johnson. "He's more of a power rusher than he is a speed, quick kind of rusher.

''He's very explosive coming out of his hips, very strong at the point of attack."

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-jaleel-johnson-di-iowa/

Stats to know: Ranked sixth in pass rush productivity with 43 combined pressures in 330 snaps.

Player comparison: Mike Daniels, Green Bay Packers

Bottom line: Interior pass-rushers are incredibly valuable in the NFL, and Johnson is one of the better options in that regard once the top prospects are off the board. He can fire off the ball, deliver an initial strike, then disengage in a variety of ways. Combined with his solid run-defending skillset and positional versatility, Johnson is likely to find himself on the majority of draft boards come May. Although far from an elite player in college, he appears to possess the traits necessary to succeed in the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope he's able to push the pile at the next level and give lineman huge matchup problems. Looking forward to seeing Patterson develop him.
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
Hope he's able to push the pile at the next level and give lineman huge matchup problems. Looking forward to seeing Patterson develop him.

using Jaleel (who seems to be a tweener DT/NT) lines up with Purple Faithful's idea of using two NTs in base sets to free up the ends and linebackers.

now we just need to hope that Jaleel is as good as Stevie Tu'ikolovatu Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaleel is okay as a run defender when he's solo blocked, but he does struggle against double teams. Certainly much more of a disruptive presence than someone who is going to clog a hole. That's how he will impact the run defense.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaleel's tape is pretty fun because he'll just throw guards to the wayside and creates leverage and strength to get to the QB or the ball carrier.

You can definitely see the wrestling background for him. Like what the vikings and others have said, he's more power than finesse right now. But I believe finesse is teachable and we have one of the better OL coaches in the league.

I feel bad for Floyd and I hope he can come back and play int he NFL again, but I think we'll be fine with Jones, Jaleel and either Toby or Tom Johnson in the rotation.

edit: this play is super impressive. At 3:06 in the 2016 Iowa St cut up, he's engaged with the right guard and as the RB tries to slide by, Jaleel reaches out with his giant left paw, throws a haymaker and basically knows the rb back on his but. I mean, Shocked that strength was ridiculous.

Pretty awesome.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
TENINCH wrote:

using Jaleel (who seems to be a tweener DT/NT) lines up with Purple Faithful's idea of using two NTs in base sets to free up the ends and linebackers.

now we just need to hope that Jaleel is as good as Stevie Tu'ikolovatu Wink

Didn't we do that last year with Joseph and Stephen?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets say Floyd starts the season on the PUP.

given that Datone Jones is more of a tweener, and Shamar Stephen fits more of the NT role, does Jaleel Johnson find himself in a starting role?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: