Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CalhounLambeau 2017 NFL Draft Review Thread - DONE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
Frank-O wrote:
Curious as to why you didn't like the Kevin King pick for the Packers? It was obvious to pretty much every football mind why it was a great pick...

His tape wasn't that good. He's leggy. Picks and chooses when to play the run. All their position coach did was rave about Sidney Jones and not King. Everyone got on board after he tested and measured identically to Richard Sherman at the combine. I'm glad people are excited about him and that the Packer people/fans are all on board. He certainly has the potential to improve. I don't see it working out.

He's always going to be soft, but so was Sam Shields, so is DRC, so was Antonio Cromartie. Those guys were rangy players that take the ball away though. That's what King profiles as. I really don't care in 2017 how my corners are in run support. His biggest challenge will be if he can master the press, he certainly has the build to do it. That will determine if he's a good corner or a great one.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
Frank-O wrote:
Curious as to why you didn't like the Kevin King pick for the Packers? It was obvious to pretty much every football mind why it was a great pick...

His tape wasn't that good. He's leggy. Picks and chooses when to play the run. All their position coach did was rave about Sidney Jones and not King. Everyone got on board after he tested and measured identically to Richard Sherman at the combine. I'm glad people are excited about him and that the Packer people/fans are all on board. He certainly has the potential to improve. I don't see it working out.

He's always going to be soft, but so was Sam Shields, so is DRC, so was Antonio Cromartie. Those guys were rangy players that take the ball away though. That's what King profiles as. I really don't care in 2017 how my corners are in run support. His biggest challenge will be if he can master the press, he certainly has the build to do it. That will determine if he's a good corner or a great one.

If GB coaches him up well, he'll be a monster. But he could bust too because his awareness and develop in terms of being able to press. Really depends on how much the faith the packers have in their staff. Clearly they do because they picked him. It was a good spot for him at 33. He didn't deserve to go in the teens.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
reamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a friendly reminder that we're still waiting for round 7, as well as any notable UDFAs you might want to include. Laughing
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
253. Denver Broncos - Chad Kelly (QB)
- A lunatic with loose screws who only got drafted because of his family connections.

Best pick of the draft. My guess he either starts in 2018 or is out of football. At the price, I'll take as many rolls as I can get.

On a side note, it is worth the pick just to make him go through the process of being Mr. Irrelevant. This is non-trivial and several players ahve taken offense.

J

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
- A lunatic with loose screws who only got drafted because of his family connections.

Best pick of the draft. My guess he either starts in 2018 or is out of football. At the price, I'll take as many rolls as I can get.

No doubt. Not a bad pick. Strangest off-field QB I've ever worked on.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:

No doubt. Not a bad pick. Strangest off-field QB I've ever worked on.

I have to wonder, how much of his crazy is due to his famous relative? If he ever tries to step out of Jim Kelley's shadow, watch out.

J

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were a GM at what point in the draft do you swing for talent? I used to think you started that in the 4th. But McDowell, Cook, Jones, Mixon, Kizer, Teez, Kpassagnon all went in the 2nd round. You could also include Foster in this list. I've heard GM's say you have to hit on your first 3 picks, but none of these guys are 100%

I looked back at 2011-2013 drafts.. You do have to swing on talented players. My question is, at what point in the draft do you step in the batters box?
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You always get all wrapped up in draft philosophy. I just grade players. I would pick players where I have them graded.
tannenballs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
You always get all wrapped up in draft philosophy. I just grade players. I would pick players where I have them graded.

I just find it extremely interesting. Why don't you care about it?
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tannenballs wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:

I just find it extremely interesting. Why don't you care about it?

I keep things simple. I just grade players. Psychoanalyzing what the league does bores me. Positional value, schemes and positions, off-field politics. Not my thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: