Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cook and Mixon
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Cook and Mixon Reply with quote

am interested to read of guys' opinions of the Vikings passing on Mixon and drafting Cook....

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AdamSchefter: In an anonymous survey over past week with all 32 NFL teams, only four said they would consider drafting RB Joe Mixon. But only takes one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cook and Mixon Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
am interested to read of guys' opinions of the Vikings passing on Mixon and drafting Cook....

Passing on Mixon? Cook was rated higher on many boards and was considered one of the top backs in the draft. Up until a week or two ago he was projected as a top 20 pick almost everywhere. The dude is playmaker.

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I easily think Cook is the better, more explosive runner.

Also:

Klomp wrote:
Screengrab from NFL Network last night:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two sporting young gentlemen of the highest character and unimpeachable integrity. Outstanding student-athletes and upstanding citizens; Cook was president of his local 4-H Club growing up; Mixon was lead soprano for the Vienna Boys' Choir. The intangibles are a dead heat, therefore I have to think it came down to metrics and "spider" charts. God bless 'em both!
buno67

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:

Klomp wrote:
Screengrab from NFL Network last night:

That doesn't mean he is as good as a RB as Zeke. Zeke is the better back and by far the better prospect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want Mixon on our team. I was shocked to hear that Cook made it past the Packers at #33, and was very pleased the Vikings moved up and grabbed him. Unfortunately, I didn't do a bit of study on any draft prospects this year, so I was unaware of Cook's propensity for buffoonery, so it's hard to know what to think of him in that regard.

In my opinion, what Mixon did is just pure thuggery, and I don't want that on my team, no matter how talented he is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cook and Mixon Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

it was a good pick. Not really THAT high on Mixon like other people are. I had Cook a top 15 talent in the draft. You guys getting him round 2 is a steal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixon is a better player, and probably a better human being, than Dalvin Cook.

Cook has issues with fumbling, injuries, is a mediocre athlete, and has a troubling pattern of off-field issues some of which are every bit as bad as Mixon's incident.

Mixon... got caught on tape.

Picking Cook over Mixon is 100% an admission of "the only thing we care about is PR" which, while probably true, is unfortunate.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Mixon is a better player, and probably a better human being, than Dalvin Cook.

Cook has issues with fumbling, injuries, is a mediocre athlete, and has a troubling pattern of off-field issues some of which are every bit as bad as Mixon's incident.

Mixon... got caught on tape.

Picking Cook over Mixon is 100% an admission of "the only thing we care about is PR" which, while probably true, is unfortunate.

What all has he done? Short of murder or rape, I can't think of much worse than what Mixon did. I'm not saying Cook hasn't done anything wrong, I just haven't done much homework on the draft this year and would be interested in knowing what we are dealing with.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
What all has he done? Short of murder or rape, I can't think of much worse than what Mixon did. I'm not saying Cook hasn't done anything wrong, I just haven't done much homework on the draft this year and would be interested in knowing what we are dealing with.

Armed robbery, brought a gun to school, shot out a windshield, pulled a gun on a neighbor, abused three puppies, and punched out a woman, among other things.

It just so happens that since some of this was as a minor, some of this was covered up by FSU/the Tallahassee PD, and none of it was on tape the NFL media would only talk about it in vague terms.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean mediocre talent? You mean like a guy you could get in the 5th or 6th round type player?

I know you said you hate the Vikings so I expect a biased opinion against them there but I am curious if you think if Cook is even a legit NFL talent.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
What do you mean mediocre talent? You mean like a guy you could get in the 5th or 6th round type player

I've disliked Cook throughout the entire process, and what I meant to say was "mediocre athleticism". He's talented (he's got excellent vision and balance, and can catch) he's just not very athletic.

6th percentile vs. other RBs in the short shuttle
8th percentile vs. other RBs in the 3 cone
9th percentile vs. other RBs in the vert
37th percentile vs. other RBs in the broad
70th percentile vs. other RBs in the 40.

Between that, the injury history, the fumble rate (every 68.2 touches),and the character Cook was a player I would be disappointed if a team I cheer for drafted him in any round. I'd take Mixon over him every time.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:

Armed robbery, brought a gun to school, shot out a windshield, pulled a gun on a neighbor, abused three puppies, and punched out a woman, among other things.

It just so happens that since some of this was as a minor, some of this was covered up by FSU/the Tallahassee PD, and none of it was on tape the NFL media would only talk about it in vague terms.

Well that sure doesn't sound good. It sounds like he has some real knucklehead type tendencies. At this point, about all we can hope for is that he straightens himself out. Confused

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
Well that sure doesn't sound good. It sounds like he has some real knucklehead type tendencies. At this point, about all we can hope for is that he straightens himself out. :?

For the most part, as long as a guy keeps his nose clean in the NFL, all of this stuff goes away eventually. It's just that "a history of off field stuff" sometimes suggests a pattern that makes it more or less likely.

It's just troubling how the NFL (and the NFL media) makes a huge deal about this stuff when it's on tape, but sweeps it all under the rug of "character issues" when it's not. The problem, as I see it, is not that the NFL will give second chances to guys (the NFL is not the legal system and should not be expected to supplant it) but that the NFL only seems to care about this stuff when it becomes a public relations problem. I feel that saying "it's only a problem if it's a PR problem" is precisely the problem.

I mean, FFS the Jags GM, Caldwell when asked about DeDe Westbrooks history of domestic violence accusations has the temerity to respond "...many of us have been accused of things" as though that actually answers anything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: