Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion Thread (Spoiler Free)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
H2ThaIzzo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
brseahawks wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
The Caleb Brantley pick was probably in my book the worst. Apparently an official at the school was saying stay far away from him. Then NFL Radio was reporting the Browns never met with him.

This is Moneyball style of managing. This FO never talked to Brantley, never did their homework. This is why these types of teams have so many busts. No worries about culture, locker room fit, scheme fit, whatsoever. Just names on a wall.

Cool story.

For those interested in actual facts, they did have him in for a private visit.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/04/sashi_brown_defends_selection.html

People are idiots. It's round 6, there's a guy still there who was a 2nd round prospect at a position of need, I mean sure we could grab another QB, or a WR, or a S, guys that were 5th-6th round prospects and longshots to make the team, OR, you could grab the guy who fell due to red flags, and either cut him if you decide you don't like what you hear further, or find out something different happened, and get a steal of a pick. We used to this though. It's a dumb pick because it was Cleveland, but had NE, Dallas, Oakland, etc. done it, "what a smart pick" it becomes. In fact, didn't Dallas take Jourdan Lewis in the 3rd round when he has a trial by jury scheduled in July for domestic assault? But yeah, let's trash the Browns.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brseahawks wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
The Caleb Brantley pick was probably in my book the worst. Apparently an official at the school was saying stay far away from him. Then NFL Radio was reporting the Browns never met with him.

This is Moneyball style of managing. This FO never talked to Brantley, never did their homework. This is why these types of teams have so many busts. No worries about culture, locker room fit, scheme fit, whatsoever. Just names on a wall.

This couldn't be further from the truth.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewAge wrote:
brseahawks wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

This couldn't be further from the truth.

No, clearly Moneyball means all of those things. Billy Beane had no idea what he was doing half the time, just put some names up and said get me that guy

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2ThaIzzo wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
brseahawks wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

Cool story.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/04/sashi_brown_defends_selection.html

People are idiots. It's round 6, there's a guy still there who was a 2nd round prospect at a position of need, I mean sure we could grab another QB, or a WR, or a S, guys that were 5th-6th round prospects and longshots to make the team, OR, you could grab the guy who fell due to red flags, and either cut him if you decide you don't like what you hear further, or find out something different happened, and get a steal of a pick. We used to this though. It's a dumb pick because it was Cleveland, but had NE, Dallas, Oakland, etc. done it, "what a smart pick" it becomes. In fact, didn't Dallas take Jourdan Lewis in the 3rd round when he has a trial by jury scheduled in July for domestic assault? But yeah, let's trash the Browns.

Agreed. Especially when there are conflicting stories and a girl trying to use the draft as leverage for a settlement.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:

Green Bay: Have you done enough to maintain your interior offensive line? Also, having drafted two running backs, is Ty Montgomery staying at running back or moving back to wide receiver?

Two things I do not worry about under TT's reign in Green Bay, WRs and oline. We just signed Jahri Evans in case as well. Also high on some UDFAs from last year. Not saying we have the best oline coach in then NFL, but he does a damn fine job.
We let Sitton go and hardly missed a beat, I am sure there will be some drop off from Lang to the new guy. Defense is scaring me, offense not so much.

Competition brings out the best. You want the job earn it. We typically carry 4 RBs, 3 half and one full. Gonna be a fun pre-season to watch for sure this year. I have Ty staying at RB and we rotate and hopefully attack opponents with whatever flavor the week works the best ALA New England.
Phinsfan93

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:

Miami: Did you do enough for your interior offensive line? It was arguably your top need and only drafted Isaac Aisata in the fifth round. Now that was a value pick, but was it enough?

Two answers

Yes. Asiata pretty much has whichever guard spot locked up so the line is set with Tunsil at LT, Asiata or Larsen at LG, Pouncey at C, Larsen or Asiata at RG, and James at RT. So yes the interior OL should be good enough especially with Kraig Urbik, Jermon Bushrod, and Anthony Steen as backups instead of starters.

No. Pouncey's health has recently been up in the air. With the recent picture of him walking with a crutch, his ability to stay healthy is starting to concern me more and more. I thought an easy fix would be to target a starting C and another OG; lobbied for J.C. Tretter in FA and to draft an OG to kill two birds with one stone just in case Pouncey went down again. My guess is the coaching staff feels good about his recovery.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Forge"]
bucsfan333 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

Worst? They spent a 6th on a 3rd round talent. If his character is too damaging, they cut him. There's next to no risk for a lot of reward.

Except for the PR they'll be doing for the next few weeks and potential damage control if something comes out of it. From the sound of it they did minimal research on what actually happened.

Nobody will care in 3.5 months when the preseason starts if it's the worst case scenario.

I disagree. You might not. But this will hover around them for a while if he does get released.

I'm with jrry. Nobody's gonna care in a few months.[/thequote]

Count me in this group as well. Nobody will care.

If he gets convicted and more comes out that shows he's a bad apple they cut him. If it's settled or he's cleared he stays. For a 6th the payoff is worth the risk even the PR fallout. I don't care now either.
candyman93

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
brseahawks wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

Cool story.

Laughing

*Insert foot into mouth*

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
Marc MacGyver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy for Malachi & Chad. Very Happy

Dupre landed in a great spot, he's a potential steal for the Pack.

Hopefully his draft experience made him hungry for success...

He needs to keep that chip on his shoulder. If he wants to make the roster & stay in GB.

It's his own fault for leaving college early, without a breakout year of production, or completing his degree.

He chose to go to LSU, so hoping teams would put his average production down to the lack of a passing game, was ill-advised.

I think ultimately, he read into his pre-draft hype a bit too much.

Anyway, good luck to him.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
H2ThaIzzo wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
brseahawks wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

Cool story.

Agreed. Especially when there are conflicting stories and a girl trying to use the draft as leverage for a settlement.

Your assuming teams didn't do their homework on the guy and found that he is generally considered to be the type of idiot who would do this type of thing. It is when you have multiple red flags that you drop this low. One incident didn't drop Mixon like this kid got dropped, so you should know that he has been a problem character for a long time.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Crickett wrote:
Seattle: Are you completely doing away with nickel corners in favor of nickel safeties? Why did you draft Ethan Pocic when your center is arguably your only good o-lineman? Who is going to be your left tackle? Or right tackle?
Pocic was announced as a Tackle and they want to try him there. Ifedi will also start at RT this year. I believe they think Joeckel or Fant is the answer this year at LT

Mike Tyson they want to try as a press corner on the outside. Aside from that, I do think they like the idea of big nickel. But more importantly, I believe they hated their depth at safety. Tedric Thompson will be a nice backup to Earl and can do some other unique things. Jeremy Lane ideally will play like Lane of every year but last year and start in the nickel for us

You guys sure you don't want to convert a DL to be your LT? Laughing
I mean.. McDowell has the athleticism and length Laughing

#1 ET Supporter
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:
Green Bay: Have you done enough to maintain your interior offensive line? Also, having drafted two running backs, is Ty Montgomery staying at running back or moving back to wide receiver?

On paper, I'd agree about the concerns regarding the IOL. Lane Taylor, while a pleasant surprise last year, is a serviceable OG whose contract is set to expire after the upcoming season. I think it's highly unlikely the Packers are going to be willing to spend much on him, but he'd likely re-sign if he's willing to accept a modest deal. In the week leading up to the draft, they signed Jahri Evans who likely slots as the starting RG right now but won't likely be given the starting spot. Kofi Amichia was a guy that a few of us in the Packers' forum had pegged as a potential TT pick, and getting him in the 6th round was pretty good value. And I wouldn't rule out development out of Kyle Murphy. It might not be the same IOL that the Packers had a year ago, but it's not barren.

As for RB, McCarthy has already came out and said Montgomery is our starting RB. And quite frankly, given what we want to do offensively he's probably the best fit. But the question is can he hold up? He's never handled the load offensively, and they're probably looking at him as a poor man's Christian McCaffrey in terms of versatility.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
Your assuming teams didn't do their homework on the guy and found that he is generally considered to be the type of idiot who would do this type of thing. It is when you have multiple red flags that you drop this low. One incident didn't drop Mixon like this kid got dropped, so you should know that he has been a problem character for a long time.

Mixon's situation is not even remotely analogous. Mixon's incident occurred three years ago. Teams had years to investigate it. Brantley was arrested/charged around a week before the draft.

It's much more analogous to what happened to La'el Collins. And Collins would have seen a similar fall even if he hadn't threatened to sit out.

I'm sure Brantley did have a couple other minor red flags, but those have nothing to do with this. He was slated to go in the 2nd/3rd round even with those minor red flags. He fell because teams were uncertain about the incident surrounding his arrest. And it's a pretty big deal.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/01/san-francisco-49ers-nfl-draft-room-bears-trade-reuben-foster-peter-king

Inside the 49ers draft room. Thought it was a pretty cool article showing how the 49ers went about their draft.

El ramster on the sig
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/01/san-francisco-49ers-nfl-draft-room-bears-trade-reuben-foster-peter-king

Inside the 49ers draft room. Thought it was a pretty cool article showing how the 49ers went about their draft.

I hate Peter King, but that article was good. Bears, oh, Bears...

jrry32 wrote:
I'm sure Brantley did have a couple other minor red flags, but those have nothing to do with this.

I wouldn't say "nothing". A guy like Conley who AFAIK was clean before his pre-draft incident versus a guy like Brantley who coaches supposedly was saying to stay away from I would be surprised if it didn't have an effect...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 34 of 36

Jump to: