Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel got our first..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooters22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial post wasn't about how he mocks draft altogether because honestly I could care less. I'm a Packers fan and this is a Packers forum. So I stated that he has done a phenomenal job, and all I hear is yeah he got lucky, etc. Really? Most of us have hardly ever gotten our first pick right once, twice doubtfully. But this guy without looking has gotten it right like 10 out of 20 years. That is phenomenal and to not give the guy credit and make other stupid comments rather makes you look like a f'n idiot, there I said it. You said it, wear it!!! Sorry, some ignorant people just get under may skin........
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
My initial post wasn't about how he mocks draft altogether because honestly I could care less. I'm a Packers fan and this is a Packers forum. So I stated that he has done a phenomenal job, and all I hear is yeah he got lucky, etc. Really? Most of us have hardly ever gotten our first pick right once, twice doubtfully. But this guy without looking has gotten it right like 10 out of 20 years. That is phenomenal and to not give the guy credit and make other stupid comments rather makes you look like a f'n idiot, there I said it. You said it, wear it!!! Sorry, some ignorant people just get under may skin........

The irony.

I'll give him props for using his sources correctly. But after that, nope. But people like you love him because you feel like he does about Ted, and that's why this is posted. It's a trick way to legitimize his other views. No more, no less.
cooters22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:
McGinn knows his stuff for sure, he just makes too many fluff-click-bait BS articles that it is tough to read the last couple of years.

he knows his stuff because of who he knows (dude has legit sources because of how long hes been in the industry)

but those bait pieces he does is solely because TT shut his Ron wolf fully granted access door in his face... dude hates TT to this day because of it & will always write those articles until TT retires

He is around the sources but, I just heard Eliot Wolf say it again last night on packers.com that they do not know who Ted is going to take UNTIL they are on the clock and Ted says who he's taking unless someone has a deal they wanna do. And then says anybody have any info that would sway the pick? It never happens. Now obviously the guy may know who the team likes or doesn't like. I actually was convinced that we were take Joe Mixon because a inside source conveyed something on the radio the other day. And when they traded down I thought it was legit. The other thing about luck is that, how did he know that this kid was still going to be there? How did he know that Reuben Foster would drop and we still weren't going to take him?
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
driftwood wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:
McGinn knows his stuff for sure, he just makes too many fluff-click-bait BS articles that it is tough to read the last couple of years.

he knows his stuff because of who he knows (dude has legit sources because of how long hes been in the industry)

but those bait pieces he does is solely because TT shut his Ron wolf fully granted access door in his face... dude hates TT to this day because of it & will always write those articles until TT retires

He is around the sources but, I just heard Eliot Wolf say it again last night on packers.com that they do not know who Ted is going to take UNTIL they are on the clock and Ted says who he's taking unless someone has a deal they wanna do. And then says anybody have any info that would sway the pick? It never happens. Now obviously the guy may know who the team likes or doesn't like. I actually was convinced that we were take Joe Mixon because a inside source conveyed something on the radio the other day. And when they traded down I thought it was legit. The other thing about luck is that, how did he know that this kid was still going to be there? How did he know that Reuben Foster would drop and we still weren't going to take him?

He literally just said why.
cooters22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
cooters22 wrote:

The irony.

I'll give him props for using his sources correctly. But after that, nope. But people like you love him because you feel like he does about Ted, and that's why this is posted. It's a trick way to legitimize his other views. No more, no less.

Norm you are a bright Packers fan. I've been with you on other forums. You know your stuff as good as anybody, maybe just as good as me or very possibly better. That being said, I can't recall you or I maybe getting one, much less 10 first round picks guessed correctly. So given that fact I just don't know if I understand your last statement. And because I respect you as a fan, I'm asking if you'd please make me understand it more? What am I missing? Why won't people give him his props?

Last edited by cooters22 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
cooters22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
driftwood wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:

Who just said why? Am I slow today or what? I'm just not getting it.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
driftwood wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:

He has awesome sources. I'm guessing he had good info King would be there.

Im not trying to knock him there. He's the best.

I just don't like why he dislikes Ted. And people eat it up without realizing the agenda
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
cooters22 wrote:

The irony.

Norm you are a bright Packers fan. I've been with you on other forums. You know your stuff as good as anybody, maybe just as good as me or very possibly better. That being said, I can't recall you or I maybe getting one, much less 10 first round picks guessed correctly. So given that fact I just don't know if I understand your last statement. And because I respect you as a fan, I'm asking if you'd please make me understand it more? What am I missing? Why won't people give him his props?

I'll all for the props. But most people who push it do it because they approve of his other views. And I'm very against them.

Fwiw I respect ya. I just have concerns why you pushed this. I know you aren't a Ted guy coot haha

And no I don't even get close to that. That isn't my point. I'm doing a poor job of explaining though
cooters22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
driftwood wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:

He has awesome sources. I'm guessing he had good info King would be there.

Im not trying to knock him there. He's the best.

I just don't like why he dislikes Ted. And people eat it up without realizing the agenda

I actually really don't like him as a beat writer. Maybe him not liking Ted is part of the big smokescreen that the team is sending out? But yes it's odd, he supposedly doesn't like Ted but know who Ted's picking. Strange.......
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:

Well, this makes me feel like a genius. I've gotten our 1st Round pick right quite often recently. I don't always make a specific mock, and I didn't this year, so I can't say if I would've gotten it right or not. I may have. We were basically choosing between CB, RB, or EDGE. I wouldn't have minded a WR but didn't think they would drop. A lot of the EDGE guys I didn't really love, and RB isn't a position we typically take in the 1st as they are pretty easy to find late and teams usually only put one on the field. Teams usually put 3 CB's on the field, making CB a good possibility. Kevin King was the bridge between the athletic and polished CB's and the polished but less athletic CB's, because he was athletic but not polished. We knew a bunch of CB's would go off the board putting Kevin King as a great option for us in about the right range. I likely would've chosen between Kevin King and TJ Watt in an official mock, so it would depend on the day.

Last year, I again didn't make a mock, but I wouldn't have thought that Ogbah and Dodd would've been available. I didn't like the guys who went right above us for the most part. Clark was a premium position at the right spot, so there is a high likelihood I would've guessed that one. I did really like Hunter Henry, so I might have gone with Henry over Clark, as TE was a less premium position but a bigger need. So if I had made an official final mock these last two years, I would've probably been right once and wrong once.

I definitely would've had 2015 wrong. Randall was a shocker for me.

In 2014, I had HHCD pegged. That one was pretty obvious to me. He could've went right before us, but I figured he'd fall to us, and I figured he'd be our pick as the value met the need very well.

In 2013, I had Datone Jones pegged. I thought that was a fairly easy pick. It wasn't flashy, but Jones had some talent at a premium position of need. I didn't expect Hopkins to be there, either, so the mock created an easier decision for me then the actual Draft.

In 2012, I thought Shea McClellin would be there for us and Nick Perry would be taken by the Bears. Instead, the Bears took McClellin, and we ended up with Perry.

Going back to 2011 and earlier, I can't really remember the situation as well. I remember liking a bunch of those guys in 2011. I liked Sherrod's talent, I remember liking Baldwin's talent as a WR, I liked Jimmy Smith a lot, Muhammed Wilkerson was good. I don't remember who I all thought would go where, though. Back then, though, I was in a never-take-a-WR-in-the-1st kick. In 2010, I wouldn't have taken Dez Bryant for htat reason. It's also why I wouldn't have taken Baldwin and probably would've passed on Hopkins, despite liking him more than Sammy Watkins. Bryan Bulaga was no surprise in 2010. I won't count 2011 or earlier, but I probably would've had both of these years correct.

So since 2012, I'm about 3-3. If we count 2010 and 2011, I'm probabaly about 5-3. A lot of our past picks have actually been quite predictable. I remember when we picked BJ Raji, I had that pick pegged months in advance. I even called into a radio station and told them about him multiple times, and at first they didn't know him, but then they obviously looked into him and said we wouldn't take an interior DL so highly. I told them we would because the 3-4 NT is a centerpiece of the Capers Defense, and Raji is exactly who we took.

If you actually think the 1st Round picks through, they aren't as difficult as people think to predict, and they are far more needs-based than people think/admit. The thing is that people have to look into the future because a lot of times TT likes to replace a guy a year ahead of time. Like I'm pretty sure already we're not re-signing Morgan Burnett because we took Josh Jones. I think we'll re-sign Linsley because we added a guy for depth in the 6th Round who can be a C and that helps add financial leverage, but he didn't play C in college, we got rid of Tretter, and we waited until the 6th Round. It makes sense to re-sign Linsley, and it'll probably happen mid-season. WR is a little confusing to me. I don't think we'll let Adams go, but we didn't add a serious WR into the mix. We do have guys, though. I'm pretty sure we keep Nelson on his contract, but not sure what we do with Cobb. He's overpaid, but we don't have a great replacement. I think Davis would be the guy to replace him, but that's a big downgrade at this point. Maybe we talk Cobb into a 2-year extension that lowers his average salary and gives him more guaranteed money. That would bring him until he's about 30, so I think it makes sense for both sides. Remember, Cobb has been seriously injured in the past, and he only has $3.25M guaranteed this next year. And he's just a slot WR, so that gives us leverage, because they don't make as much as outside WR's. So this is how I'm thinking, and if you apply this type of thinking to next year's Draft for who TT might let walk the following year, you can figure out what he's likely to Draft. In fact, in the past, I've actually accurately predicted every position TT would Draft by creating 53-man rosters, cutting guys, and then putting draft picks in for the holes on the team. Try it. It's very effective and fun. And you'd be surprised how accurately you can do this if you look at the money and who is becoming a FA, as well as how well this can inform you on what we will do in the Draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: