Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Randy Gregory fails his 7th drug test...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Randy Gregory fails his 7th drug test... Reply with quote

Report: Cowboys DE Randy Gregory fails 7th drug test
Quote:
Already suspended for the entire calendar year of 2017, it appears Randy Gregory might never play football for the Dallas Cowboys, or any organization again. According to TMZ, Gregory failed yet another drug test, at least his seventh, and his inability to get things together is causing concern among his circle.

Quote:
TMZ Sports spoke with multiple people with direct knowledge of the situation who confirmed Randy was tested on Feb. 21 and was informed on March 2 that his specimen came up positive for weed.

We’re told Gregory has since blown off the NFL officials who tried to discuss the situation with him and people connected to Gregory tell us it appears his NFL career might be over.

Gregory’s four-game suspension was the result of his fourth failed test, per the league’s subtance abuse policy. His fifth failed test resulted in the 10-game ban and his sixth was the cause for his current one calendar-year ban.

Now his only chance of ever playing again might rely on the NFL changing their substance abuse policy to eliminate marijuana, but that seems unlikely to happen before the Collective Bargaining Agreement is re-negotiated. The current CBA runs through the 2020 season.

Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones reportedly made a presentation to the other league owners looking to abolish that portion of the league’s policy.

Recently, commissioner Roger Goodell spoke out about the addictive nature of marijuana and how harmful it is, saying he can’t see a situation where it isn’t penalized in the league. Ironically he never mentioned all of the other addictive substances the medical staffs of teams give players to allow them to suit up on Sundays.

His first failed test was at the Scouting Combine, leading to his falling down the draft to the late second round where Dallas selected him.

Gregory played just two games last season, and it appears that may have been a favor from the NFL. He was suspended the first four games of the season, and then was banned for the next 10 games. During that time, he received another suspension that took him out for a calendar year, but the NFL drug their feet on the appeal process.

This allowed Gregory to suit up for the final two games of the season, thus receiving two game checks. The appeal hearing took place before the playoffs began, and the suspension for one year was upheld.

Now, he will likely be suspended indefinitely.

Gregory checked himself into a rehab clinic right before the team traveled to training camp to prepare for the 2016 season. This followed the leak he was to sit out until Week 15. During that time he failed another test, despite the Cowboys doing their best to keep tabs on him.

There was publicly unconfirmed scuttlebutt Gregory had kept clean through much of his rookie season, but then stumbled despite the Cowboys having an attendant live with him to try to help him through the ordeal. Some feel bad influences from within the team could have helped contribute to Gregory being unable to look out for his own best interests.

There’s a lot more to life than just football.

Sometimes it’s difficult for fans to appreciate the fact that the gladiators they watch perform superhuman feats every Sunday have regular lives outside of the sport. They have families, interests and dreams that go beyond their chosen profession just like fans do. And just like fans, they can also have demons that plague them no matter how much financial windfall awaits them if they simply “get their acts together.”

His marijuana use first became public knowledge when he failed a test at the Scouting Combine. Gregory spoke to his self-medication as a way of coping with being bipolar.

Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me... fool me seven times... you're out of the league.

No, but seriously, I don't know if weed really works for bipolar disorders, but he shouldn't be using it for that when he knows its a banned substance.

Sucks to see so much potential go to waste, but I really can't feel bad for him when there are other options like medication made for bipolar disorder and he seemingly hasn't utilized it and continues to smoke weed.
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sad, what a waste of talent.

Now that he's out, I guess he can smoke all he wants. If that what he believes he needs to stay happy, I hope it keeps working for him.
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll be back once he hears the Cowboys got tacos.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There's gonna have to be.

Whether weed is bad or not, legal in your state or not, the current NFL rules state you can't smoke it. Gregory can't ignore those rules and expect to ever play in the league.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Quote:

There's gonna have to be.

Whether weed is bad or not, legal in your state or not, the current NFL rules state you can't smoke it. Gregory can't ignore those rules and expect to ever play in the league.

This is true. But if he really thinks the other option is being at the mercy of his bipolar disorder, it's probably better for him to just get out. The money's not worth it at that point.

The bigger question is if he's ever tried therapy or for a more conventional medical treatment (but who knows, maybe that would impede his ability to play).
Brodie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame... but honestly if it helps him cope with his bipolar; he should always put his own mental health first.

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
bananabucket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing him in the halls of my HS. He didnt join the team until the year after I left it. But whenever I saw him, he was walking super slowly with a glazed look on his face. He was just a tall scrawny dude that I always thought looked like an idiot. This was my opinion before I even knew he was gonna play football.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its so stupid he cant play in , Las Vegas, LA, Denver or Seattle where its legal and go to work with out this bias. Pretty ignorant of the league.

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality" -Tesla
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm genuinely impressed he's failed so many tests.
Cant spell choke without OKC
TXsteeler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
I'm genuinely impressed he's failed so many tests.

Yeah he is clearly not even caring. Dude smokes at least every week if not probably daily and does not care about the NFL's rules. This should have been beyond obvious by #4 or #5 tbh, letting him get to #7 just makes the NFL look like they don't really care.
bananabucket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
Its so stupid he cant play in , Las Vegas, LA, Denver or Seattle where its legal and go to work with out this bias. Pretty ignorant of the league.

Thats stupid. It's banned by the NFL, end of discussion. If he cant stop himself from lighting up and losing millions then thats his own fault.
G

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodie wrote:
It's a shame... but honestly if it helps him cope with his bipolar; he should always put his own mental health first.

Yeah I'd rather hear he can't pass a test than he killed himself due to not being able to handle life.
It's legal hear in NorCal and I still avoid it, but if it was the only way I could cope, I'd be glad it probably wouldn't get me locked up.

Hope he focuses on what makes him happy and tunes out the media.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bananabucket wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:

Thats stupid. It's banned by the NFL, end of discussion. If he cant stop himself from lighting up and losing millions then thats his own fault.

Why is it banned by the league? Is it a performance enhancing drug?

Its legal in 8 American states , and legal for medical use in 30+ states with more states legalizing over the next couple years.

Makes no sense.

Specially with all the scientific data there on its use as a medicine and NFL has some of the worst internal medicine practices in the nation, i think its time for them to lift the ban and let players chose for them selves how they want to treat there pain or chronic issues and not just be forced to take pills-opiates.

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality" -Tesla
ohiogenius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone get the man some Lithium or Valproate and some CBT

Much more effective than weed.

Peace!!!

If you're referring to fingers on his glove, the answer is yes.
11sanchez11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bananabucket wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:

It can be stupid on both parts.

But this is not what this thread is about. How does it affect the Cowboys and stuff like that.

El ramster on the sig

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: