Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 3 Pick 30 Overall 94: CB Cam Sutton 5'11 188 4.52
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Round 3 Pick 30 Overall 94: CB Cam Sutton 5'11 188 4.52 Reply with quote

Steelers selected CB Cameron Sutton in round 3 pick 94. Sutton has experience playing CB, Slot, and Kick Returner. Here is his breakdown by Lance Zierlein:

OVERVIEW
Coming into his senior season, Sutton was one of the rare SEC players that started every game since arriving on campus. Unfortunately, a fractured ankle suffered against non-conference foe Ohio University put him on the shelf for about half the year. In seven games, had 23 tackles, two for loss, an interception and four pass breakups. Sutton could have left for the NFL after his junior season, where he earned All-American honors from the FWAA and Sporting News as a punt returner (25-467, two TD) and played well on defense (28 tackles, 3 TFL, one INT, six PBU). He led the Vols with 16 passes defensed as a sophomore (three INT, 13 PBU -- two vs Iowa in bowl game victory) and excelled on special teams, as well (14-158, TD on punt returns). Sutton made headlines as a freshman starter in 2013, becoming the first freshman to return an interception for a touchdown since star safety Eric Berry in 2007 when he did so against Western Kentucky early in the year. He finished the year with a team-high nine passes defensed (two INT, seven PBU).
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Man-cover corner with feet to mirror and match off line of scrimmage. Responsive to route keys from wideouts. Decent instincts looking to jump hitches and wide receiver screens. Desired fluidity of movement with ability to open and run from backpedal. Confident in coverage and rarely penalized. Good acceleration to ball raking across catch point when he gets there. High school wideout with soft hands and smart angles to the ball. Finished career with 37 passes defensed including seven interceptions. Allowed just three touchdowns during career. Praised by coaches for competitive character and selfless, team-first attitude. Worked his tail off to return to field after fracturing ankle in mid-September. Punt-return talent; career average of 14.9 yards with three touchdowns.
WEAKNESSES Frame needs more muscle. Too passive in press coverage, failing to land solid hands that slow opponent or redirect their routes. Can be bodied around by big wideouts. Plays a little tall in his backpedal. Feet lack some twitch when asked to plant and explode forward from pedal. Has issues with back to the quarterback; late to turn and find the ball, allowing catches over his head. Could struggle to carry long speed down the field. Operates with short arms and small hands. Unreliable in run support with too many side-swipe, grab-and-drag attempts. Missed six games with fractured ankle early in senior season.
DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3
NFL COMPARISON B.W. Webb
BOTTOM LINE Four-year starter with the fluidity to handle man coverage on the outside, but lacking desired physicality and run-support traits that zone teams covet. Sutton flashed outstanding ball production his first two seasons but saw his per-game production drop since. Could be forced inside due to a lack of size on next level. Punt-return ability could be what gets him on the field first.
-Lance Zierlein

Interesting sidenote: related to New Orleans' rapper Lil Boosie. Also raps himself so expect Boosie & Juice collaboration:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnjdgHJuHjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnjdgHJuHjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhnk727-WQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q_2SaQnalk

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked into this guy at all. Too small and slow for my liking though. 188 lbs and ran a 4.52 as a CB? They say he has good hips and feet though, and is a man cover guy, so that sounds like my type of CB. Anxious to see him play.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparison should be Willie Gay. He is a clone of Willie. Does not help their secondary at all.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Comparison should be Willie Gay. He is a clone of Willie. Does not help their secondary at all.

Good Willie or bad Willie? If he's an exact clone of Bill Gay, I'm not sure how he doesn't help out secondary. Gay was a solid starter in his prime.

Deadpulse on the sig
warfelg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop making comments about him being too small. 5'11" 190 pounds and 4.5 is actually kinda average for NFL CB's. Saying he's too small and too slow is one of the more unfounded comments I've seen a bunch since he's been drafted.

So what if he's a Willie Gay clone. Willie Gay is 32 and just got toasted so bad in the AFCCG that he's still working off the burn marks.

BTW is Willie Gay too small and too slow?

He's 5'10"

185 pounds

Ran a 4.55

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOSteelers56 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

Good Willie or bad Willie? If he's an exact clone of Bill Gay, I'm not sure how he doesn't help out secondary. Gay was a solid starter in his prime.

He is a slot corner only. He is not a press man CB which is what is needed if the Steelers want to beat NE

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
warfelg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
MOSteelers56 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

He is a slot corner only. He is not a press man CB which is what is needed if the Steelers want to beat NE

We'll considering NE's WR's are very slotty....

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
TheDeeeeej

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watched every single game Sutton has played.

If he didnt get hurt this year, he would've been a top 40 pick.

People didnt even try to throw to him his junior year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDeeeeej wrote:
I have watched every single game Sutton has played.

If he didnt get hurt this year, he would've been a top 40 pick.

People didnt even try to throw to him his junior year.

Thanks for the insider info!

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
JLambert58

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched 4 of Cam's games yesterday and an interview. I was impressed by his feistiness/competitiveness and his maturity/leadership ability.

He has good receiver/ball awareness. Sticky when mirroring WRs in man. He can be fooled, but has the ability to recover. I thought his game speed was a bit better than his timed score. He's a heady player who is a good tackler when the tackle is right in front of him. When he is coming from an angle, it can be a bit hit and miss.

And of course, he's a dynamic punt returner. Hope Tomlin is ready to take AB off of punt duty.

Bottom line, I think he has all the mental and physical tools to be successful with the Steelers. He does need to be coached up in certain areas, but I really like what he brings to our CB stable.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a solid interview with Sutton's collegiate defensive coordinator. Actually is a good read or listen. Enjoy.... http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/tennessee-dc-believes-sutton-will-excellent-slot-nickel-corner-steelers/

DR43

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Read Below Reply with quote

At 5'11 would Sutton most likely be a slot corner in the NFL? Is that his ceiling?
Dcash4

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand the Willie Gay comparison. Granted, maybe the same things were said about him coming out (a little before my detailed following time), but the only thing I continue to see thats similar is size.

Everything I read about Sutton says that he is a Man to Man corner. Willie Gay can in no way, shape, or form even resemble someone who you would possibly mistaken for a player who could play man. He IS the reason why we couldnt switch to Man against New England and every time we did he got torched.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Read Below Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:
At 5'11 would Sutton most likely be a slot corner in the NFL? Is that his ceiling?

I would say that his size will limit him to slot. Sutton has the ability and height at 5'11 to match up well on the outside as well. In fact, I am predicting Golson to potentially start if he can get back to his original health and he is only 5'9. While at a height of 5'9 you are not going to be an ideal match-up against Bryant, Evans or Benjamin, you can still be successful at CB as Antoine Winfield and former Steelers starters Willie Williams and Deshea Townsand were. Too many people get caught up in stats like and height, weight, arm length, 40 yard dash times, etc., etc., etc. People forget that Joe Hadden ran a pretty slow 40 time at the Combine, but has been an excellent pro CB on some bad teams.

Give me a guy who can get in good position and has excellent technique. The Steelers used to get torched with the big or long CB's like Ike Taylor, Chad Scott and Dwayne Washington. I will say that Ike was actually pretty good for several seasons as an under-rated lock down CB. He would have made a few pro bowls if he could catch.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Read Below Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:

No. He is the average height for a boundary CB. He is 1" shorter than Burns. Sutton needs to gain more weight and become more physical but height isn't an issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: