Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Select C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand the concern about drafting him too high, I like CJ. When I watched him play in 2015, I thought he might be in last year's draft and was a bit disappointed when he wasn't. His SR year was not good and some may judge accordingly. I like him and don't doubt the pick due to all Struby has said. The rest of Iowa's team just wasn't very good....aside from Kittle. Cool
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
While I understand the concern about drafting him too high, I like CJ. When I watched him play in 2015, I thought he might be in last year's draft and was a bit disappointed when he wasn't. His SR year was not good and some may judge accordingly. I like him and don't doubt the pick due to all Struby has said. The rest of Iowa's team just wasn't very good....aside from Kittle. Cool

exactly thecsame with me. I lIked him a lot in 2015. I thought of him this year and looke
d into him abit. Not impressive stats. No one seemed to be talking about him. O i kind of moved on. But if any one looks at his 2015 highlights i think you'll see a solid mud round prospect.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up on Beathard...

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article150386827.html
ManInTheMirror

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:

Thanks for sharing. That was a good read. I was already a fan of his and the article just increased that.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManInTheMirror wrote:
757-NINER wrote:

Thanks for sharing. That was a good read. I was already a fan of his and the article just increased that.

I'm cautiously hopeful about Beat Hard. I'd love it if he was our feel-good story of the next few years. The guy could come in when the starter gets injured, and never give back the spot. I doubt he'd win a QB battle, at least not this year, because I think Kylo will probably show some loyalty to Hoyer, first. But if CJ shows good things in practice, I don't think it would take too much to see him on the field. I know I'm ignoring Barkley here. I just have a hard time seeing him as anything more than a clipboard holder.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I heard that we drafted Beathard and looked up his stats I must say I was disappointed in his -13 yard rushing total for 2016. Not that I want a running QB - I don't. Just didn't seem like the sign of a very mobile QB to me. Then I saw this article this morning. Here are the career rushing totals for our QBs from their college careers

Hoyer minus 205 yards
Barkeley minus 113 yards
Mullins minus 210 yards

Even Cousins who everyone thinks we really want had minus 127 yards See a pattern here? Looks like Shanahan wants a classic pocket passer who only scrambles around out of necessity. That's music to my ears. I always said that I though Kap's running was more of a negative than a positive.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
When I heard that we drafted Beathard and looked up his stats I must say I was disappointed in his -13 yard rushing total for 2016. Not that I want a running QB - I don't. Just didn't seem like the sign of a very mobile QB to me. Then I saw this article this morning. Here are the career rushing totals for our QBs from their college careers

Hoyer minus 205 yards
Barkeley minus 113 yards
Mullins minus 210 yards

Even Cousins who everyone thinks we really want had minus 127 yards See a pattern here? Looks like Shanahan wants a classic pocket passer who only scrambles around out of necessity. That's music to my ears. I always said that I though Kap's running was more of a negative than a positive.

Remember that college rushing totals for QBs are a tad misleading as well. Every sack counts as negative rushing totals. -13 yards is still indicative of a pocket passer, but those stats will mask a QB's true athleticism as a runner.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

Hoyer minus 205 yards
Barkeley minus 113 yards
Mullins minus 210 yards

Remember that college rushing totals for QBs are a tad misleading as well. Every sack counts as negative rushing totals. -13 yards is still indicative of a pocket passer, but those stats will mask a QB's true athleticism as a runner.

And Beat Hard played with a [inappropriate/removed] of injuries. That had to hold him back some. Now that he won't be thrusted onto the field, his body can heal, at least.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Schaub, Brian Hoyer, Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins were guys Shanahan believed in/coached to have good to very good seasons. I think he's always preferred a QB who is a pocket passer and focuses on attacking defenses through the air. I'm not sure he'd be against a mobile QB, he just seems to prefer pocket passers to run his offense.

Personally I'd much rather have a QB who can work within the pocket and slide to avoid pressure as opposed to take off. Avoids injuries, uneccesary hits and typically gets the ball to better play makers to do just that, make a play. Mobile QBs are great and can be effective but it seems only for a time, if they haven't developed the in pocket aspect of their game it seems the crutch of being able to run somewhat hurts their ability to reach their full potential.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: