Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Select C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 43416
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaShogun wrote:
Little did we know Beathard would go on to win the 2017 MVP after taking over for Hoyer and Barkley due to injuries in week 2. Amassing 4500 passing yards, 40 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions.



_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
y2lamanaki


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 03 Jan 2006
Posts: 13924
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
I would have had no problem with this pick if we didn't trade back up in the 3rd. If that's Shanny's developmental guy of choice, so be it. But you can't tell me that they needed to jump the line. He would have still been sitting there in 4th...probably with our second pick in that round, no less.


That's what I'm thinking. I have less of an issue with the pick because i believe its independent of the others since I'm sure thst this is 100% shanny with minimal input elsewhere.


Trust in Shanny!

But I, too, don't think it was necessary this early. I really would have felt the same about any QB, though, so I suppose my thoughts are extremely biased.
_________________


Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19694
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I graded our other three picks, but right from the start i'm just giving this one an incomplete until we see what shanahan can get out of him.

I crticized baalke a lot for making unnecessary tradeups for guys like garnett. So it might seem like i wouldn't like this move. But not so. In the first place unlike trent giving up high or relativdly high picks, we gave up a 7th. I often suggested that baalke should use thosec relatively useless picks to move up. So i love that lynch did that. Also, a QB is always a special case. They're just so important that if shanny liked this guy best and was worfied he"d get away than yhe price of a 7th was just fine with me.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19069
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
I graded our other three picks, but right from the start i'm just giving this one an incomplete until we see what shanahan can get out of him.

I crticized baalke a lot for making unnecessary tradeups for guys like garnett. So it might seem like i wouldn't like this move. But not so. In the first place unlike trent giving up high or relativdly high picks, we gave up a 7th. I often suggested that baalke should use thosec relatively useless picks to move up. So i love that lynch did that. Also, a QB is always a special case. They're just so important that if shanny liked this guy best and was worfied he"d get away than yhe price of a 7th was just fine with me.


You "criticized" the Witherspoon pick because you weren't sure we got the best available cornerback on the board, but with the quarterback who was very clearly a reach and not the best available, you're not going to grade until you see what Shanahan can get out of him? Confused
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GANNDMK


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2449
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously this was a Shanahan pick and no one knows more about quarterbacks than Kyle. I think I support him on this one, maybe this kid was known around the league as a great prospect but the publications missed it. To date John and Kyle have shown nothing but professionalism and good taste. I'm buying in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19069
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GANNDMK wrote:
Obviously this was a Shanahan pick and no one knows more about quarterbacks than Kyle. I think I support him on this one, maybe this kid was known around the league as a great prospect but the publications missed it. To date John and Kyle have shown nothing but professionalism and good taste. I'm buying in.


I'm sure you don't know as much about corners as Saleh or Hafley. You still knocked that pick for maybe not being the best available corner. Also, what do professionalism and good taste have to do with anything?
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
y2lamanaki


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 03 Jan 2006
Posts: 13924
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
I graded our other three picks, but right from the start i'm just giving this one an incomplete until we see what shanahan can get out of him.

I crticized baalke a lot for making unnecessary tradeups for guys like garnett. So it might seem like i wouldn't like this move. But not so. In the first place unlike trent giving up high or relativdly high picks, we gave up a 7th. I often suggested that baalke should use thosec relatively useless picks to move up. So i love that lynch did that. Also, a QB is always a special case. They're just so important that if shanny liked this guy best and was worfied he"d get away than yhe price of a 7th was just fine with me.


You "criticized" the Witherspoon pick because you weren't sure we got the best available cornerback on the board, but with the quarterback who was very clearly a reach and not the best available, you're not going to grade until you see what Shanahan can get out of him? Confused


Well...because it's a QB, because that's Shanny's masterpiece and he's our coach from some time (and has had excellent past success with QBs), and because the rest of the QBs I would rate in the fifth or further back...I can get leaving this one incomplete, because Shanahan seems to see the skills he loves in a QB in Beathard. I don't agree - I think Witherspoon was a great choice for the role he'll play. But I can see why those two picks can be judged in different lights.

I'd just have preferred to wait, myself, but I can see where big is coming from on these two.
_________________


Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Aussie9er


Joined: 13 May 2012
Posts: 128
Location: Perth, Australia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to make one bad pick this draft glad its for kyle's developement qb.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GANNDMK


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2449
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
GANNDMK wrote:
Obviously this was a Shanahan pick and no one knows more about quarterbacks than Kyle. I think I support him on this one, maybe this kid was known around the league as a great prospect but the publications missed it. To date John and Kyle have shown nothing but professionalism and good taste. I'm buying in.


I'm sure you don't know as much about corners as Saleh or Hafley. You still knocked that pick for maybe not being the best available corner. Also, what do professionalism and good taste have to do with anything?


I did not knock Witherspoon, he was another favorite of mine. In fact I called the pick, check out my draft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19069
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GANNDMK wrote:
Forge wrote:
GANNDMK wrote:
Obviously this was a Shanahan pick and no one knows more about quarterbacks than Kyle. I think I support him on this one, maybe this kid was known around the league as a great prospect but the publications missed it. To date John and Kyle have shown nothing but professionalism and good taste. I'm buying in.


I'm sure you don't know as much about corners as Saleh or Hafley. You still knocked that pick for maybe not being the best available corner. Also, what do professionalism and good taste have to do with anything?


I did not knock Witherspoon, he was another favorite of mine. In fact I called the pick, check out my draft.


This was my bad - for some reason, I thought Big posted that and was responding to him as part of the my retort to his post earlier. The post I was referring to about knocking the Witherspoon pick was his, not yours. have no idea why I read your name as big's lol

My apologies GANNDMK
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GANNDMK


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2449
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
GANNDMK wrote:
Forge wrote:
GANNDMK wrote:
Obviously this was a Shanahan pick and no one knows more about quarterbacks than Kyle. I think I support him on this one, maybe this kid was known around the league as a great prospect but the publications missed it. To date John and Kyle have shown nothing but professionalism and good taste. I'm buying in.


I'm sure you don't know as much about corners as Saleh or Hafley. You still knocked that pick for maybe not being the best available corner. Also, what do professionalism and good taste have to do with anything?


I did not knock Witherspoon, he was another favorite of mine. In fact I called the pick, check out my draft.


This was my bad - for some reason, I thought Big posted that and was responding to him as part of the my retort to his post earlier. The post I was referring to about knocking the Witherspoon pick was his, not yours. have no idea why I read your name as big's lol

My apologies GANNDMK


No problem Bro.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pandomonium


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 3147
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
I would have had no problem with this pick if we didn't trade back up in the 3rd. If that's Shanny's developmental guy of choice, so be it. But you can't tell me that they needed to jump the line. He would have still been sitting there in 4th...probably with our second pick in that round, no less.


this is my issue
I totally agree with this
_________________
I DON'T BANDWAGON...

RED, BLACK AND GOLD..TIL I'M DEAD BURIED AND COLD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
y2lamanaki


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 03 Jan 2006
Posts: 13924
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandomonium wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
I would have had no problem with this pick if we didn't trade back up in the 3rd. If that's Shanny's developmental guy of choice, so be it. But you can't tell me that they needed to jump the line. He would have still been sitting there in 4th...probably with our second pick in that round, no less.


this is my issue
I totally agree with this


Eh - we gave up a useless 7th to do it. I don't have any problem with that part. I don't like the player or the position and feel we could have waited, and maybe even got him in a later round. But the trade itself is of no concern to me as we didn't really lose anything to get a guy we clearly wanted.

Even if we stayed at our 4th and selected Beathard, I'd have the same overall feeling about it.

But - Shanahan sees what he wants in him, and I'm willing to wait and see.
_________________


Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
NINERFAN_4_LIFE


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 12943
Location: THE GOLD MINE
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I look at this, the more I love this pick. Maybe Im just drinking the coolaid, but I think we have something here.

first of all, that release is crazy fast. Like billy the kid, fastest gun in the west kinda fast. holy hell. there is no wasted motion whatsoever, which makes it very repeatable and therefore accurate. Id love to see the pitch clock on this guy compared to drew brees and tom brady, it really is spectacular.

Seems like he has above average anticipation and ball placement. these are really important qualities to have as an NFL QB and when you have both of those as well as a strong arm and a quick release you could potentially have dynamite.

He has some Big Ben in him. Maybe its just that they both wore yellow and black, but the fact he has played through multiple injuries shows he has heart. I also like how he delivers the ball with the heat bearing down on him.

He has a good base and drives the ball with his hips. its how you would teach a little kid how to throw a football.

seems like Iowa ran a lot of west coast concepts, so it shouldnt be too hard for him to pick up the playbook. Seems like every Iowa fan is happy their OC is no longer with them.

Are there holes in his game? Absolutely. It seems like its all stuff that is correctable though. you cant teach what this kid has. when a guy is hurt, throwing to below average targets and has an OC who is unimaginative and he still succeeds, you have to feel good about it. He got it done with less than stellar supporting cast. that is a key point in my book.

Are people seriously complaining about trading a 7th to move up to get him? Or that we took him in the third? Its like Adam peters said the day of the draft "If thats the guy you want, who cares what the points say, just go get the guy you want".

Just a tidbit, not that it means much. Y2 pointed out before we fired chip that the only (other) time in NFL history that a team fired their HC three years in a row, the next coach they hired was Bill Walsh. The very first year Bill had the job he drafted a QB in the third round... named Joe Montana.

"those who do not know history, are doomed to repeat it"

_________________
FOREVER FAITHFUL
----------------------------
FOREVER HATEFUL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19069
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:


Just a tidbit, not that it means much. Y2 pointed out before we fired chip that the only (other) time in NFL history that a team fired their HC three years in a row, the next coach they hired was Bill Walsh. The very first year Bill had the job he drafted a QB in the third round... named Joe Montana.

"those who do not know history, are doomed to repeat it"


Wait, now I'm confused. SInce you have told us this history, and we know it, are we going to avoid repeating it? Because I'd like to repeat Walsh and Montana Laughing

Also, I disagree with a lot of what you said, but at this point, it's done with, and we all just want the kid to succeed, so not much point in debating that. He's can absolutely turn into something, especially with Shanny. I'm not counting on it, but I'm certainly not ruling it out. I mean, we only have to look at what happened with Kirk Cousins - most pegged him as a steady back up type and look at him now. Cousins had a much better feel for the game and was a much more accurate passer (one of the things we disagree with - Beathard is not accurate, nor does he have great ball placement in my opinion), so I don't think Beathard has that type of ceiling, but again, most saw Cousins as a back up type and it was little Shanny who pounded the table to draft him even though they had given up a ton in the RG3 trade.
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group