Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Select C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: 49ers Select C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa Reply with quote

Discuss!

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Udfa in the third round...this is what happens when Lynch goes to the bathroom at the wrong time

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Udfa in the third round...this is what happens when Lynch goes to the bathroom at the wrong time

Yeah, if we wanted Ryan Fitzpatrick, we didn't need to waste a 3rd round pick to get him.

Oh well...I'm going to trust in Shanahan until he gives me a reason not to. The first three picks were far too good to get worked up over this one in my eyes.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the PFF grade on Beathard.

Name: C.J. Beathard

School: Iowa

Position fit: Developmental QB

Stats to know: Ranked 13th in the draft class in adjusted completion percentage at 73.5 percent. Had the third-highest percentage of drops in the draft class at 9.1 percent.

What he does best:

Fluid quick release with a natural whip arm.
Arm is powerful with consistent zip at each level of the field.
Athletic enough to evade defenders in the pocket and pick up valuable yards with his legs, tough runner.
Good understanding of timing routes and anticipates well outside the numbers.
When playing within the structure of the offense can be very efficient.
Shows the ability to throw guys open in tight man-to-man coverage.
Experience taking drops and diagnosing defenses from under center.
Has flashed ability to work through pro-type passing progressions.
Biggest concerns:

Questionable touch, flat ball thrower.
Throws off balance too often (falls back and left) leading to accuracy issues.
Very limited with his feel in the pocket and vision is inconsistent to work through progressions consistently.
When forced to reset to second or third read, accuracy dips quite a bit.
Doesn’t look comfortable making plays outside the scheme.
Good fair amount of “pick and stick” to his game.
Questionable decision-making late in the down. Tries to make too much happen and forces a good amount of throws.
Questions if he can change speeds on the ball or if everything is a fastball.
Bottom line: Beathard’s arm is very good, as he can make the majority of NFL throws. He is a fastball thrower, with little to no finesse in his game of being a true passer. When he is playing in rhythm and knows where to go with the ball, he delivers on time and accurately. Certain throws required to throw up and over defenders he struggles with, as he needs a clear lane to throw through. The biggest questions come with his feel in the pocket and ability to see the field clearly to consistently get through reads, as well as decision-making particularly late in the down. Beathard’s arm and overall game is enough to warrant a late-round selection and a chance to develop as a third-string QB.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB's are a crap shoot anyways. Maybe we fee he has more upside than any of the othe QB's available and thus worth taking here.

xsaMainevent on the sig
struby3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty unexpected pick for me. As a huge Iowa fan, I know how underrated Beathard is, but I thought this was a bit high for him. After his junior year, he definitely looked like a potential future NFL starter, but his senior year was a bit of a disappointment. Then again, he played injured his entire junior and senior seasons (kid is tough as nails) and Iowa's wide receivers are absolutely atrocious.

I see him developing into a nice backup quarterback that might be able to win a few games if forced into action in the future. It's always hard to tell how gunslinger-type QBs are going to fare in the NFL.

Everybody at the draft party that I was at were Hawkeye fans. Most of the less knowledgeable fans were like "What! CJ Beathard in the 3rd round! LOLOL" but all of the smarter guys thought "sure...might be a bit early, but Beathard belongs in the NFL."

Here is a brief but accurate "owner's guide" to Beathard: http://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-hawkeyes-football/2017/04/1377/so-youve-drafted-cj-beathard-a-new-owners-guide
Forge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struby...beathard or stanzi? Who would you have thought a more promising nfl quarterback

757-NINER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have had no problem with this pick if we didn't trade back up in the 3rd. If that's Shanny's developmental guy of choice, so be it. But you can't tell me that they needed to jump the line. He would have still been sitting there in 4th...probably with our second pick in that round, no less.
Forge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
I would have had no problem with this pick if we didn't trade back up in the 3rd. If that's Shanny's developmental guy of choice, so be it. But you can't tell me that they needed to jump the line. He would have still been sitting there in 4th...probably with our second pick in that round, no less.

That's what I'm thinking. I have less of an issue with the pick because i believe its independent of the others since I'm sure thst this is 100% shanny with minimal input elsewhere.

struby3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Struby...beathard or stanzi? Who would you have thought a more promising nfl quarterback

Disclaimer: Ricky Stanzi is a bit of a legend in Iowa City. Not because he was THAT good at football, but because he was THAT cool of a dude and he also won an Orange Bowl. Therefore, it is borderline blasphemous to speak negatively about Stanzi, but Beathard is certainly a better prospect than Stanzi ever was. Stanzi had better stats, but his talent level was not comparable to Beathard's. Stanzi was throwing to Derrell Johnson-Koulianos and Marvin McNutt (two all-Big Ten receivers) and had Ken O'Keefe as his offensive coordinator. Beathard was throwing to Jerminic Smith and Riley McCarron and his OC, Greg Davis, loved calling bubble screens and plays with short passing routes. Beathard also played with 9 (I believe) different combinations of starting OL this past season and played through a sports hernia, hamstring/groin injuries, etc. Beathard can make most NFL throws, but might struggle with touch passes. I read a few scouting reports that claimed he didn't have a strong arm, which is absolutely false. If anything, Beathard is a gunslinger that needs to be tamed a bit. But yeah, Beathard comes from a pro-style offense and lives and breathes football. I'm sure Shanahan is excited to work with him.

To summarize my feelings on Beathard: After his JR season, I thought that he would be an eventual third round pick and borderline NFL starter. After a senior season full of injuries (both to himself and his OL), crappy receivers, and a crappy offensive coordinator, he looked more like a 5th-6th rounder that would be an intriguing developmental prospect, but likely end up as a career backup. I feel somewhere in the middle of these two statements right now. It is certainly promising that Shanahan hand picked him, but we'll see. At the very least, I'm confident that we have a long term backup QB. At 106 (or whatever it exactly was), that's not too shabby.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Udfa in the third round...this is what happens when Lynch goes deep in the bottle at the wrong time

fyp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a head scratcher. I'm not really that opposed to the selection of Beathard itself tbh, I think he's in the same group of all the others left, maybe Peterman beeing a bit better but that's it, I really don't like the timing of the selection. So many good players still there and we pick someone who surely would have been available later and even if not, who cares? In the end it's all about finding a body for QB #3.

That shouldn't harm the overall look of our draft so far though. Guess we'll go all offense now or Shanny will riot Laughing
adamq

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What...
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

struby3 wrote:
Pretty unexpected pick for me. As a huge Iowa fan, I know how underrated Beathard is, but I thought this was a bit high for him. After his junior year, he definitely looked like a potential future NFL starter, but his senior year was a bit of a disappointment. Then again, he played injured his entire junior and senior seasons (kid is tough as nails) and Iowa's wide receivers are absolutely atrocious.

I see him developing into a nice backup quarterback that might be able to win a few games if forced into action in the future. It's always hard to tell how gunslinger-type QBs are going to fare in the NFL.

Everybody at the draft party that I was at were Hawkeye fans. Most of the less knowledgeable fans were like "What! CJ Beathard in the 3rd round! LOLOL" but all of the smarter guys thought "sure...might be a bit early, but Beathard belongs in the NFL."

Here is a brief but accurate "owner's guide" to Beathard: http://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-hawkeyes-football/2017/04/1377/so-youve-drafted-cj-beathard-a-new-owners-guide

That's pretty much how I feel about Beathard. I thought he was promising last year, then he fell off the radar pretty much. Which is why, in a draft season when no one even spoke his name, I'm surprised we had to take him in the third... that's a big surprise. Let's just hope Kylo sees something in him the fans and media have missed.

Sidenote: I know I don't pronounce his name right, but I'll never stop saying "Beat hard".

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
PapaShogun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little did we know Beathard would go on to win the 2017 MVP after taking over for Hoyer and Barkley due to injuries in week 2. Amassing 4500 passing yards, 40 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions.

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: