Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 3, Pick 99 -- Rasul Douglas -- CB, WVU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jlash


Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 1930
Location: NJ
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
Hard not to like that frame at cornerback, but he sounds like a big version of Al Harris... the Eagles Al Harris not the one that went on to be a half decent corner.


Al Harris wasn't bad for the Eagles. He just couldn't beat out Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor.



Harris was good for one PI every game, but he was a gambler, I liked having him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 61029
Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Spadaro interview, but pretty informative on Rasul's background and such.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/videos/videos/Inside_The_Studio_Rasul_Douglas/34580e01-ef2b-4288-b105-bbb79fc7523c
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 61029
Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, this dude is talking about not planning on going to college, then being convinced he should go by his highschool coach, sleeping on floors during community college, buying dollar menu at McDonalds and having to save some for later in the day, and working his way to WVU and eventually the NFL. Definitely a feel good story. Fully rooting for him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjapirate


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 42452
Location: Vegas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy has good height and length should be able to cover reed and engram for us
_________________


RainbowCarebear wrote:
Anna Kendricks are always nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
RandyMossIsBoss


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 26166
Location: Kilt on the sig
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Damn, this dude is talking about not planning on going to college, then being convinced he should go by his highschool coach, sleeping on floors during community college, buying dollar menu at McDonalds and having to save some for later in the day, and working his way to WVU and eventually the NFL. Definitely a feel good story. Fully rooting for him.
Danny Watkins had a feel good story too.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milksteak


Joined: 22 Apr 2011
Posts: 520
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Phire wrote:
Damn, this dude is talking about not planning on going to college, then being convinced he should go by his highschool coach, sleeping on floors during community college, buying dollar menu at McDonalds and having to save some for later in the day, and working his way to WVU and eventually the NFL. Definitely a feel good story. Fully rooting for him.
Danny Watkins had a feel good story too.


Yeah but danny watkins didnt lead the NCAA in interceptions this season
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milksteak


Joined: 22 Apr 2011
Posts: 520
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
guy has good height and length should be able to cover reed and engram for us


Think the long term plan if sidney is healthy he bumps inside and covers receiving tight ends or big guys in the division like dez n pryor?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 36112
Location: Jortland, Oregon<3
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Phire wrote:
Damn, this dude is talking about not planning on going to college, then being convinced he should go by his highschool coach, sleeping on floors during community college, buying dollar menu at McDonalds and having to save some for later in the day, and working his way to WVU and eventually the NFL. Definitely a feel good story. Fully rooting for him.
Danny Watkins had a feel good story too.


Way different.

Watkins comes from a nice family from Canada, grew up in a house, normal life, probably knew he was going to college most of his life.

If you ever been really poor, you know by the time your like 10 your life is hopeless and your not going to college or anywhere but grooling blunt labor and crappy jobs the rest of your life.

Now it probably helps how you feel about your self when your pisssing testoserone and vinegar and jacked on half a cheeseburger off the dollar menu but thats still brutal, it would be easy to catch a awful attitude and take it out on every one and fall through the cracks cause of attitude problems and disfunctional behavior.
_________________

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality" -Tesla
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 61029
Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireman Dan had a different route to the NFL, not sure I'd describe that as "feel good." But in any case, whether it's Watkins or whoever, gotta love an underdog story.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 36112
Location: Jortland, Oregon<3
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Fireman Dan had a different route to the NFL, not sure I'd describe that as "feel good." But in any case, whether it's Watkins or whoever, gotta love an underdog story.


I think his thing was he teased/felt out of place for being really big at a young age compared to every one else. Not taking anything away from his struggle.

But was just saying its different then the circumstances Rasul comes from.

Hes from East Orange, NJ, thats all thats need to be said, when i saw that before i even read a thing about him, just seeing "East Orange" i was like "this kid had it rough"...

Nobody is coming out of East Orange like: "i had a delightful childhood just like any other kid in East Orange, my dad took me and my sisters fishing and my mom taught us how to paint on the lake at our cabin most weekends. I spent most of days in the East Orange riding bikes and playing wiffle ball in our cul-de-sac with my neighbors Conor and Tanner"

No there like "i dont know how i survived *blank stair remembering all the crazy horrible things they experience and saw* yeah cant believe im here" all somber.
_________________

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality" -Tesla
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 61029
Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree with you, it's just a reason to root for the kid. He looked really sincere and like he carries his experiences with him wherever he goes. I think that's important from an off-field and on-field thing. He knows what it's like to not have anything, and now he's going to have more money than he could have dreamed for.

I hope that translates to working hard. Rasul's got incredible size for a CB and it's likely he'll see the field immediately. We need him to ball out.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheRealMcCoy


Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 14700
Location: Inland Empire
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understanding Press Coverage, Tight Hips, and Rasul Douglas

Quote:
Rasul Douglas, man.

You’ve likely heard the SparkNotes scouting report: Length. Ball skills. Tight hips. Scheme-limited.

As a Round 3 selection—from the compensatory picks, at that—his Week 1 status for 2017 is unclear. Usually, you expect a Round 3 pick to start in a couple of years. But Rasul Douglas likely wasn’t selected by the Philadelphia Eagles to sit and learn. In part, because a deep CB class pushed him and other talented corners (Cordrea Tankersley to Miami, Cameron Sutton to Pittsburgh) deeper into the draft than they should have gone; in part, because the Eagles desperately need new blood on the defensive boundaries.

And in part because Rasul Douglas is better than a Round 3 prospect.

Much better.

As most bold claims do, this take comes with an asterisk. Douglas has a specific skill-set, and will handcuff a secondary in terms of scheme and assignment. But a deeper dive into the tape, and a nuanced understanding of Douglas’ responsibilities, show that Douglas’ isn’t as physically limited as he seems.

More plainly, Douglas has the tools to be a dominant press-man cornerback and effective short-zone cornerback. Referred to by many as ‘tight-hipped’, Douglas does take an extra click to swivel his hips and change direction, but long legs and undisciplined feet are the greater culprits when it comes to his issues hinging his hips. Douglas possesses elite length, aggression, and ball skills, as well as sufficient lower body fluidity. These traits check the boxes for a lockdown press-man corner—it’s just a matter of maximizing his strengths and masking his weakness.

This is a great article. I quoted the first part of it.

Highly suggest reading the whole thing. Gives a detailed breakdown and some perspective on Douglas.
_________________
EagleDeegle wrote:
Trm, you my favorite poster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hockey5djh


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 20543
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^I love reading articles like that from people that clearly know what they're looking at when breaking down game tape.

Best part of the article: CB1 upside/optimism if we can work on his footwork. Part that I think the article is missing is when he's forced to play outside of a press-man scheme. (outside of "not good")
_________________

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheRealMcCoy


Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 14700
Location: Inland Empire
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
^^^I love reading articles like that from people that clearly know what they're looking at when breaking down game tape.

Best part of the article: CB1 upside/optimism if we can work on his footwork. Part that I think the article is missing is when he's forced to play outside of a press-man scheme. (outside of "not good")

That would've been cool, but it would've made for a pretty long article.
_________________
EagleDeegle wrote:
Trm, you my favorite poster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hockey5djh


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 20543
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMcCoy wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
^^^I love reading articles like that from people that clearly know what they're looking at when breaking down game tape.

Best part of the article: CB1 upside/optimism if we can work on his footwork. Part that I think the article is missing is when he's forced to play outside of a press-man scheme. (outside of "not good")

That would've been cool, but it would've made for a pretty long article.


Yea definitely. That said I do appreciate the content of the article as it stands hopefully this Ben guy writes more regularly.
_________________

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group