Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 3rd Round Selections
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zman724

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the positional selections ( I wanted more CBs) but don't know much about these guys and will have to check out some you tube highlights/combine to get a feel for them.

We ended up with a lot of draft selections and most won't make the team. This is still a veteran laden team with SB aspirations. They're coming in to compete and hopefully make the squad. There may be only 4-5 guys that make the game day squad with the rest on practice squad. It won't be disappointing because that's how it will be with most NFL playoff teams.

It'll take a few years to re-evaluate this draft. Didn't we get a D- in 2012? It's now an A+.
SoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really surprised we didn't use one of those 3rds to add some LB competition.

As of right now we have Michael Wilhoite, Arthur Brown, KPL, and Cassius Marsh competing for the starting SLB spot. We know the team doesn't love KPL there and Brown is more of a Mike type, so it kind of cuts that down to Marsh and Wilhoite.

Definitely a weakness on the defense, but as someone alluded to earlier, they must obviously be planning on running more 4-2-5 personnel this year with the influx of safety/corner types.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:

As of right now we have Michael Wilhoite, Arthur Brown, KPL, and Cassius Marsh competing for the starting SLB spot. We know the team doesn't love KPL there and Brown is more of a Mike type, so it kind of cuts that down to Marsh and Wilhoite.

Definitely a weakness on the defense, but as someone alluded to earlier, they must obviously be planning on running more 4-2-5 personnel this year with the influx of safety/corner types.
I think this draft really painted how little we value that position. Wilhoite and Brown give us solid backups for Wagner and Wright. Aside from that, I expect us to run a more traditional 4-3 look on base downs as well as a lot of the big 4-2-5.

What this tells me is that unless a guy can be a potentially dynamic pass rusher, we don't think he's worth drafting at SLB.

Its funny, the NFL is catching up with college/high school instead of the other way around with the 4-2-5.

#1 ET Supporter
brseahawks

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they set themselves up well prior to the draft to not need to draft LBs. SAMs play around 17% of the defensive snaps, while a nickelback play around 70%, which is exactly why the nickelback position has added value in the draft. Nickel is the base now, that's the way the NFL is now, "starting SAM" shouldn't exist anymore.

Mark Barron/Deone Buccanon types of LB/SS is the future. Remember last season on the mock draft I was crazy about Travis Feeney?

Depth for SAM is probably behind depth for Wagner/Wright in terms of priority. Marsh also does a good job playing SAM on run downs.
SoS

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
SoS wrote:

I think this draft really painted how little we value that position. Wilhoite and Brown give us solid backups for Wagner and Wright. Aside from that, I expect us to run a more traditional 4-3 look on base downs as well as a lot of the big 4-2-5.

What this tells me is that unless a guy can be a potentially dynamic pass rusher, we don't think he's worth drafting at SLB.

Its funny, the NFL is catching up with college/high school instead of the other way around with the 4-2-5.

Maybe I'll finally get my wish that we start utilizing Kam as a roving LB with more two high safeties to go get the football. Tedric would be phenomenal in that role.
imani

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
SoS wrote:

Maybe I'll finally get my wish that we start utilizing Kam as a roving LB with more two high safeties to go get the football. Tedric would be phenomenal in that role.

I personally believe that is exactly what's going to happen. Thomas and Thompson roaming around the secondary on passing downs are what dreams are made of. I'm All for the buffalo formation

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
SoS wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
SoS wrote:

I personally believe that is exactly what's going to happen. Thomas and Thompson roaming around the secondary on passing downs are what dreams are made of. I'm All for the buffalo formation
It would be fun to see this mixed in, and I like the idea, but I have a hard time seeing us run cover 4 looks with how little we have run them in the past.

I guess if you take your idea of Thompson and Thomas deep we could run a Cover 3 Cloud look which might be better for Shead and some of our more physical corners

#1 ET Supporter
SoS

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider told a story on the radio (after being asked about the team's strategy to accumulate picks) and admitted that the team was incredibly close to "trading up into the top of a round" but "both of our guys went the two picks" immediately preceding the spot we tried to trade into, so we sat tight.

Context clues tells me that this had to be on Friday. I very strongly doubt we had any plans of trading up into the top of the 1st round, we already had a top of the 4th rounder, and I don't think John would even mention the story if it was any picks beyond the 4th round.

The guys on the radio speculated that it must have been in the 2nd round when TEs Gerald Everett and Adam Shaheen were taken back to back. Makes sense considering Jimmy and Luke are on the last years of their deal, but this seems unlikely to me. I personally can't see John trading up to draft a D-II TE in the 2nd round, especially when they seemed genuinely enamored by Pocic.

So obviously I'm posting this in the 3rd round thread because that's where I've deducted this potential deal must have been close to occurring. This is all very presumptive, but assuming this deal was in the 3rd round and assuming it was two players at the same position, I feel like the most likely outcome was one of these pairings:

OL Pat Elflein #70
OL Dan Feeney #71

LB Duke Riley #75
LB Alex Anzalone #76

Just food for thought. No real way to ever know.
imani

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Schneider told a story on the radio (after being asked about the team's strategy to accumulate picks) and admitted that the team was incredibly close to "trading up into the top of a round" but "both of our guys went the two picks" immediately preceding the spot we tried to trade into, so we sat tight.

Context clues tells me that this had to be on Friday. I very strongly doubt we had any plans of trading up into the top of the 1st round, we already had a top of the 4th rounder, and I don't think John would even mention the story if it was any picks beyond the 4th round.

The guys on the radio speculated that it must have been in the 2nd round when TEs Gerald Everett and Adam Shaheen were taken back to back. Makes sense considering Jimmy and Luke are on the last years of their deal, but this seems unlikely to me. I personally can't see John trading up to draft a D-II TE in the 2nd round, especially when they seemed genuinely enamored by Pocic.

So obviously I'm posting this in the 3rd round thread because that's where I've deducted this potential deal must have been close to occurring. This is all very presumptive, but assuming this deal was in the 3rd round and assuming it was two players at the same position, I feel like the most likely outcome was one of these pairings:

OL Pat Elflein #70
OL Dan Feeney #71

LB Duke Riley #75
LB Alex Anzalone #76

I think the marcus maye and forest lamp area is a good guess as well, top of the second

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
SoS

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
SoS wrote:

OL Pat Elflein #70
OL Dan Feeney #71

LB Duke Riley #75
LB Alex Anzalone #76

I think the marcus maye and forest lamp area is a good guess as well, top of the second

Only reason I kinda ruled that out is because they seemed generally enamored with Pocic in the late 2nd round. Wouldn't be surprised if you were right though.
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:

OL Pat Elflein #70
OL Dan Feeney #71

LB Duke Riley #75
LB Alex Anzalone #76

Really interesting, am I missing that John said it was the same position though?

I am pretty confident Seattle brought in Zay Jones for a visit and he is 100% a Seattle kind of guy and we were targeting receiver. Given our picks at safety and corner, I bet we loved Budda. Budda was the 36 pick and Zay was the 37th.

Larry Ogunjobi at 65 is a Seattle type of DT as an athlete and Ahkello Witherspoon, other than his terrible tackling, is a Seahawks physical dream at CB. They make sense at the top of round 3

Jake Butt and George Kittle are TEs that were the two first picks in round 5 and both were great value at that point. I can see how they'd want to get in on that as well

#1 ET Supporter
SoS

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
SoS wrote:

OL Pat Elflein #70
OL Dan Feeney #71

LB Duke Riley #75
LB Alex Anzalone #76

Really interesting, am I missing that John said it was the same position though?

I am pretty confident Seattle brought in Zay Jones for a visit and he is 100% a Seattle kind of guy and we were targeting receiver. Given our picks at safety and corner, I bet we loved Budda. Budda was the 36 pick and Zay was the 37th.

Larry Ogunjobi at 65 is a Seattle type of DT as an athlete and Ahkello Witherspoon, other than his terrible tackling, is a Seahawks physical dream at CB. They make sense at the top of round 3

Jake Butt and George Kittle are TEs that were the two first picks in round 5 and both were great value at that point. I can see how they'd want to get in on that as well

I'd have to go back and listen to it, but I don't believe John ever indicated they were the same position. Those guys kinda ran with that idea thinking that it was the most likely scenario.

Only reason I wouldn't think he was referring to the 5th round was the context of the conversation. It definitely sounded like it was on Friday.
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My money is on Zay and Budda then. I would've loved either of them

#1 ET Supporter
brseahawks

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I think PC is playing with us. This move would make sense for 4 rounds!!

RD2
33 - Kevin King
34 - Cam Robinson
35 - Malik McDowell

Some "insider" (I think it was LaCanfora) said these were the 3 guys the Seahawks wanted with their first pick and kept trading down because they thought they'd still be there. We know King has lots of traits the Seahawks covet (lenght, speed, athleticism, natural aptitude to zone) and the Seahawks loves Alabama trench play. I think if the other two were still on the board, that'd be a Seahawky move - move up for a player they'd pick at 26th if there wasn't good trade offers.

RD 3
65 - Larry Ogunjobi
66 - Akhello Whiterspoon
67 - Alvin Kamara

Larry is a very similar prospect to Nazair Jones, but probably one notch above in terms of grade on most boards. Akhello, from a pure physical profile resembles a lot a Seahawks corner (I like Shaquill sooooo much more). Kamara is a lot similar to Chris Carson, from a style and measurements stand point.

RD 5
145 - Jake Butt
146 - George Kittle
147 - Jordan Morgan

I think they liked the two TEs. didn't look much into Morgan, but he has above average explosion testing, which the Seahawks covet.

I also think Stevie Tu'ikolovatu and Zane Gonzalez could draw interest from the Seahawks.
SoS

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was Round 5, Butt and Kittle make a lot of sense. Would've loved either guy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: