You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 3rd Round Selections
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: 2017 3rd Round Selections Reply with quote

90. CB Shaquill Griffin

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/shaquill-griffin?id=2558259

Quote:
STRENGTHS Has good size and strength. Has a disruptive punch and feet to impede in press coverage. Loose and athletic in his movement. Able to flip hips and match receivers without giving up much early separation in his transition. Allowed just 32.9 percent of throws his way to be completed. Possesses plus ball skills. Uses well-timed leaps and strong hands to challenge at the catch point. Is a rake it or take it cornerback with 34 passes defensed over the last two seasons, including six interceptions. Runs through targets looking to jar the catch loose. Aggressive in run support. Looks to play through receivers on the way to the ball. Can wrap up or chop down running backs.

WEAKNESSES Long speed is very average and will allow some vertical separation against speedsters. Had difficulties staying with Michigan wide receiver Amara Darboh in Week 3 of this season. His instincts and anticipation are just average. Can be slow with pattern recognition on combo routes. Has issues maintaining his coverage distance from man-off. Plays tall in space limiting his transition quickness when attempting to mirror receivers out of their route breaks. Has to be careful not to lunge when trying to reroute receivers after their release.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3

NFL COMPARISON Ladarius Gunter

95. SS Delano Hill

Quote:
STRENGTHS Compact build that is able to accept and deal out physical play. Aggressive in run support. Likes the life near the line of scrimmage. Plays downhill and will meet the ball in the backfield when he gets a chance. Steps downhill from high safety and takes good angles to the ball. Plays both high and low and has matched up on the slot. Has zone-cover potential. Chest-up tackler with a good finishing rate.

WEAKNESSES Hips lock up on him when trying to flip and chase the post route. Has no room for false steps in his game. Lacks athleticism to match up on space down the field. Below average play speed and range from high safety. Instincts are average. Can be slow to recognize and respond to intended misdirection. Transitions forward from his pedal will stall at the top and slow his break on the throw.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 5-6

Quote:
— Delano Hill had the fifth fastest forty time by a safety at the combine. Considering he weighed 20lbs more than Budda Baker, he ran a very similar forty time (Baker 4.45, Hill 4.47). Hill’s time also compared favourably to Obi Melifonwu (4.40) and Josh Jones (4.41). All three are ‘bigger’ safety’s capable of playing in the box or as a Buffalo.

102. DT Nazair Jones

Quote:
STRENGTHS Has good size with long arms and thick lower half. Play strength is above average. Likes to iniate the contact at point of attack. Initial punch has some shock behind it and he has the power to press defenders off of his chest and keep them at the end of his length. Hand placement generally sound. Can beat one-on-one blocks. Has ability to set the edge and man both gaps. Good twitch in his shed to disengage and make the tackle. Above average tackle production for interior. Rarely beaten soundly by a base block. Shows some control at point of attack.

WEAKNESSES Instincts and awareness are below average. Can be slow to find the football. Fooled by misdirection, play-action and screen passes. Lacks feel for flow of the play causing him to play behind the blocks rather than racing in front of them. Lacks feet to recover past a reach block. Needs to operate with more width in his base for balance consistency. Below average change of direction. Plows head-first into pass protection. Doesn't have much of a rush plan and is still looking for a competent counter move. Plays with some stiffness in lower half which affects pad level.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4-5

SOURCES TELL US "He's a strong guy and I think he might become a better player in the pros than people might think. He's not going to make a bunch of plays but I like his physicality." -- NFC area scout

NFL COMPARISON Joel Heath

106. WR Amara Darboh

Quote:
STRENGTHS Good NFL size with above-average arm length. Experience in Michigan's pro-style passing attack. Saw increase in targets and responded with improved production. In 2016, had at least one catch of at least 30 yards in eight of first nine games, outplaying highly regarded teammate Jehu Chesson. Fluid working two-way releases from slot. Smooth transitions in his routes. Won't give away plant-and-go cuts to the post, allowing him to stay ahead of the cornerback. Heady player. Adjusts routes to create better throwing opportunities for quarterbacks. Accepts responsibility as blocker climbing up to cornerbacks with some urgency of engagement. Able to sustain his block when run play flows his way. Locks up back-side safety blocks.

WEAKNESSES Build-up runner who is slow to eat up cornerback cushion. Play speed appears to be average. Missing suddenness and twitch. Inconsistent release quickness against press. Could struggle to uncover against aggressive man coverage. Gradual sink into breaks alerts cornerbacks to slam on breaks and challenge the throw. Body catcher. Ball will beat him up and he suffers from focus drops. Needs to improve positioning against defensive backs. Rarely escapes a spirited tackle attempt. Not very dynamic after the catch.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3-4

SOURCES TELL US "The all-star game and combine will determine where he gets drafted but I think he's a good player. He's bigger and faster than you think. Practices hard and is a good athlete. Harbaugh demands some toughness from his receivers, too. He will be a pretty good pro." -- NFC executive

NFL COMPARISON Mohamed Sanu

#1 ET Supporter

Last edited by Tatupu_64 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
SoS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaq Griffin pick is excellent.

Didn't watch much of Delano but I don't really understand it from a scheme standpoint. Seems like a standout special teamer.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must think Delano can be a potential SS. Griffin seems line a good pick

#1 ET Supporter
PrepNwa23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 3rd Round Selections Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
90. CB Shaquill Griffin
95. SS Delano Hill
102. DT Nazair Jones
106. WR Amara Darboh

WR not a fan of the Darboh selection when you had other WR talent on the board like Malachi Dupre and Dede Westbrook.

I get selecting Delano Hill for SS but I'm not a fan of it in the third round but there was better BPA at that position.

Nazair Jones not a fan WR drafted Malik earlier in the day if you wanted a DT later why not take Elijah Qualis in later rounds?

Overall I'm not a fan so far of this draft better athletes have been on the board who fit the size and mentality of the Seahawks.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what little my opinion is worth, Darboh just feels like a Seahawks WR. He's sure-handed and solid all around. I'm not a fan of the Shaq Griffin pick. He's incredibly physically talented, but it's hard to get him getting torched by Arkansas State (?) out of my mind. His instincts and anticipation don't seem good to me. Then again, you can mitigate that to an extent by having him press.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
For what little my opinion is worth, Darboh just feels like a Seahawks WR. He's sure-handed and solid all around. I'm not a fan of the Shaq Griffin pick. He's incredibly physically talented, but it's hard to get him getting torched by Arkansas State (?) out of my mind. His instincts and anticipation don't seem good to me. Then again, you can mitigate that to an extent by having him press.

Agree Shaq Griffin pick incredible athlete has all the physical tools. But ball instincts and ability to anticipate are lacking. Hoping we can cover that up by using him in press coverage in the beginning.

I'm still not sold on Darboh because I remember watching the Colorado game where he saw quality CB's press him and he couldn't separate. So we will see what he can do in the pro's. I'm used to John and Pete going BPA and few times tonight I was left scratching my head.
brseahawks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
They must think Delano can be a potential SS. Griffin seems line a good pick

I think Delano's physical profile and McDougauld physical profile are way too similar. I read somewhere JS thinks McDougauld is gonna see some nickel snaps. They are probably wanting very badly some big guy that plays NCB/SS hybrid.

The Seahawks now have two (three if you count Deshawn Shead) players to compete.
brseahawks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:

Yeah, Darboh looks like an upsided version of Kearse, to push him and make him expendable when his contract becomes non-guaranteed.

Shaquill Griffin is a top athlete, that hit what looks like the Seahawks lenght benchmark for the position (32" arms) that plays with a punchy, physical style. Out of all 32 teams' head coaches and front office, Seahawks looks to be the one that believes most in coaching, so it makes sense to some point if they downplayed some tape weaknessess and made the pick.
NFL_Announcer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin is great and should be competing to start immediately.

The other 3 are ALL project players.

Gotta say I'm a little disappointed in Seattle's draft. They took basically all project players (with exception of Griffin).

McDowell is a head case and it's a question of whether or not he really wants to try = Project.

Pocic is a project player considering he is listed as a Center but that's actually one spot on the line we're fine at... and there's zero reason to shift Britt again.

Griffin is fine. Love that pick.

Hill is a 5th-6th round prospect. He's great against the run so maybe they want to put him in nickel or try to make him more like Kam Chancellor in the cover 3? Either way, project because his pass coverage skills are bleh. Maybe zone/Sherman will help him.

Jones is a project in the pass rush department. He's good against the run, maybe that's all Seattle wants out of him.

Darboh is another project pick. He has inconsistent hands and he gets caught up in press coverage. He'll have to work on his ability to get off more physical corners. He runs great routes, so I like this, and he's almost 6'3".... but he's a possession receiver at best. Alshon Jeffrey with questionable hands? Meh.
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL_Announcer wrote:
Griffin is great and should be competing to start immediately.

The other 3 are ALL project players.

Gotta say I'm a little disappointed in Seattle's draft. They took basically all project players (with exception of Griffin).

McDowell is a head case and it's a question of whether or not he really wants to try = Project.

Pocic is a project player considering he is listed as a Center but that's actually one spot on the line we're fine at... and there's zero reason to shift Britt again.

Griffin is fine. Love that pick.

Hill is a 5th-6th round prospect. He's great against the run so maybe they want to put him in nickel or try to make him more like Kam Chancellor in the cover 3? Either way, project because his pass coverage skills are bleh. Maybe zone/Sherman will help him.

Jones is a project in the pass rush department. He's good against the run, maybe that's all Seattle wants out of him.

Darboh is another project pick. He has inconsistent hands and he gets caught up in press coverage. He'll have to work on his ability to get off more physical corners. He runs great routes, so I like this, and he's almost 6'3".... but he's a possession receiver at best. Alshon Jeffrey with questionable hands? Meh.
Pocic has starting experience at everywhere across the line, he is not a project. McDowell, I see what you are saying, but he is an immediate impact player. Pete does a good job at getting guys to play motivated, so while I am worried I am far less worried on our team than I would be on others. I wouldn't call him a project because you can get immediate production out of him

Hill, Jones, and Darboh are for sure projects. But we're picking in the end of round 3, those guys aren't usually instant starters

#1 ET Supporter
brseahawks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Darbor is that much of a project.

He ran a full route three in Michigan in an pro-style offense, winning the sidelines, making plays in the clutch. He just had limited touches.

He has to work on his press release and work on his high point catch, that's all.
SoS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:

Meh. In Darboh I saw a player with really unrefined route running technique and a habitual body catcher, which got him into trouble on several occasions. I think at best he's a physical slot receiver who won't be afraid to go over the middle or block a LB.

I think Griffin's issues are relatively easy to correct. His instincts in man coverage are lacking on when to flip his hips, but as a press zone corner he has tremendous ability to locate the football and make a play. Has a lot of the same traits as Richard Sherman coming out minus the height and plus athleticism.
SoS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd round was really uninspiring for me. I still need to watch Naz but outside of Griffin, I see role/special teams players. Hill is a 3rd safety at best who should be solid on special teams. Darboh is a 4th/5th slot receiver IMO who should also make an impact on special teams. Again, haven't watched, but Naz sounds awfully redundant to what we have in Reed, Rubin, and McDaniel.
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
3rd round was really uninspiring for me. I still need to watch Naz but outside of Griffin, I see role/special teams players. Hill is a 3rd safety at best who should be solid on special teams. Darboh is a 4th/5th slot receiver IMO who should also make an impact on special teams. Again, haven't watched, but Naz sounds awfully redundant to what we have in Reed, Rubin, and McDaniel.
Tony McDaniel isn't on the team. If he was, I'd agree, because what I have read makes it sound like that's who he is. McDaniel at his best was more than a role player though. Let's hope Naz can be (curious to see how he looks on tape)

#1 ET Supporter
imani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:

I feel like his offense at Michigan was very similar as well. A lot of the same plays that we run showed up on tape.

My concern is that in 15 minutes of highlights I don't remember seeing him come back to the ball often.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: