Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Round 3: Pick 78 - Tim Williams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: 2017 Round 3: Pick 78 - Tim Williams Reply with quote

With the 78th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select:

Tim Williams, EDGE, Alabama

Scouting Reports

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/tim-williams?id=2557841

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2082733/tim-williams

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-tim-williams-olb-alabama/

Current Linebackers

RUSH: Terrell Suggs / Matt Judon / Tim Williams

WILL: Kamalei Correa / Patrick Onwuasor

MIKE: C.J. Mosley / Cavellis Luckett / Boseko Lokombo

SAM: Albert McClellan / Tyus Bowser / Za'Darius Smith / Brennen Beyer
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not thrilled. Explosive pass-rusher but leaves a lot to be desired, character-wise. I've also read that he struggled to understand Alabama's defensive scheme, and needed things simplified.

But if he can get to the QB often, and stays out of trouble, then it will work out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he's a Dumervil-esq player? Doom was brutal in coverage and run defense. This is a good pick for the one reason that we lacked qb sacks and pressures the past few years. Our defense has looked slow and this offseason we've really made a turn to athleticism! With how many young bull rushers already on the roster, this is an exciting move in my eyes. Allow the run defenders to do their jobs and bring in a rested Williams to get to the qb. A rested speed rusher is dangerous, but we all know how Pees runs the show
paraven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a pick im most excited about from day 2. Hes a pure pass rusher, who has 1st round talent if you look purely at potential. I expect him to be exactly like Dumvervil, which im good with
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Dumervil comparisons and they don't make a ton of sense. When Elvis was good he won on the edge with leverage, technique, and some strength. Williams is a plus athlete and that's how he gets to the QB. They may be similar in that the only reason you want them on the field is to rush the passer but that's as far as I would go.

Tim is a risky pick given his off-field stuff, but I would think the Ravens have done a ton of homework on that. They've learned their lessons.
Danand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want him as a 2. round pick, but late in the 3. round, I can't complain.

Williams is the sort of pass rusher we haven't had for quite some time, the pass rusher who can get to the quarterback fast instead of fighting with the oline.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple failed drug tests in college is definitely concerning when looking at how Randy Gregory has basically ended his career with his inability to stop. I don't know if Williams starts with any strikes through, since he didn't fail at the combine or anything AFAIK. The gun arrest seems pretty minor, despite how scary the word gun is, as it seems to have been legally purchased.

However, I think some may be sleeping on how talented this guy is. He's the most talented guy we drafted, despite Humphrey going round 1 and Bowser's freak athleticism. This guy's tape is that good. IIRC, he was pretty invisible against Clemson in this year's game, but he's got a ton of big games where he did show up in a big way. I've been watching him all season, as a guy who would have solved our biggest need. To be clear, off-field is the only reason he didn't go before our FIRST pick. Even Eric Decosta was talking about him as a potential round 1 pick for us as recently as the combine. Outstanding first step, underrated power, and well developed swim and counter moves. For those thinking he Elvis Dumervil in terms of setting the edge, watch the cutup against LSU/Fournette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N_EVQbnHU0

He's definitely the rookie, I'd bet on to have the most impact in year 1. Bowser needs time develop (and learn to stay on his feet), and Humphrey needs to wait for Jimmy Smith to get hurt. Williams has long been ready to rotate in and help us close games.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they don't do something stupid like try to bulk Tim Williams up into an "all around" edge player. I don't know why he didn't test well at the combine but he is a twitched up berserker. We don't need him bogged down trying to fuel additional muscle. Every 3rd and long he's going to come in looking to destroy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
He's definitely the rookie, I'd bet on to have the most impact in year 1. Bowser needs time develop (and learn to stay on his feet), and Humphrey needs to wait for Jimmy Smith to get hurt. Williams has long been ready to rotate in and help us close games.

Absolutely. I loved this pick at the time and it's still my favorite from the draft. Williams is ready to step onto the field and be Baltimore's top pass-rusher. He should get more opportunities than Bowser going forward anyways. Pees likes to use his SAM in a more versatile role, which is fine now that the team has Tyus for that role. No more cringing as guys like Upshaw and McClellan drop into coverage or attempt to rush the passer. I'm hoping Albert gets demoted ASAP. The defense needs some juice.

Something that might be a bit underrated about the additions of Williams and Bowser is that it should allow the team to use Za'Darius more like they did in his rookie year. He didn't look great in an expanded role last season but now that the two new guys are onboard the reliance on him wearing more than one hat should go way down. And then there's Judon... Pees can't screw this up. Can he? Think

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: