You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3.70: MINN - Pat Elflein [C #65] Ohio State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Vike wrote:
Klomp wrote:
If you're looking purely at BPA by position, that was clearly Pat Elflein. The next center drafted was Chase Roullier, 129 picks after Elflein.

With emphasis on "available", as the first center off the board was Ethan Pocic. That kind of surprised me, but I think the Seahawks liked his size better.

Pocic was projected by most to be a guard, and actually was announced by Seattle as a tackle

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the Vikings decide at TC to play him at OG. A couple of people said he played better at G than OC. Now I know some of that is because it was his 1st year at that position
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dc_vikingfan wrote:
I wonder if the Vikings decide at TC to play him at OG. A couple of people said he played better at G than OC. Now I know some of that is because it was his 1st year at that position

After one year at C, he was the best in the country. I'd keep him there.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
dc_vikingfan wrote:

Id keep him at center. There have been plenty of good Centers under 6-4. Length might become more of a concern if he's moved to OG but even then, 6-3 isn't bad for an OG.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Klomp wrote:
dc_vikingfan wrote:

Id keep him at center. There have been plenty of good Centers under 6-4. Length might become more of a concern if he's moved to OG but even then, 6-3 isn't bad for an OG.

Berger isn't a Spring Chicken, so the more options the Vikings have to replace him ASAP, the better. Kerin and Easton had an opportunity to replace Berger last year and didn't. So, guess who now on the Vikings roster would be a better option to start at C after Berger retires.... or soon(er)?
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Vike wrote:
Klomp wrote:
If you're looking purely at BPA by position, that was clearly Pat Elflein. The next center drafted was Chase Roullier, 129 picks after Elflein.

With emphasis on "available", as the first center off the board was Ethan Pocic. That kind of surprised me, but I think the Seahawks liked his size better.

How did West Virginia's Tyler Orlosky not get drafted?

Offensive tackle wasn't the only position that was putrid in this draft. I think the Vikings got a potentially decent center, but the class as a whole just plain stunk.

Ethan Pocic was my top C ... so it was not suprising that he came off the board first [to SEA]

Elflein at Centre, and slide Berger to RG

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we let players really focus on one position this year instead of constantly shifting people around in training camp (especially the tackles). Let them learn the position and get some chemistry on the line.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
I hope we let players really focus on one position this year instead of constantly shifting people around in training camp (especially the tackles). Let them learn the position and get some chemistry on the line.

I agree.

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
Colorado Vike

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:

Training camp and preseason is the time to see where linemen are best suited to play. There may be something to just having them concentrate on one position, but a backup tackle typically needs to be ready to play on either side, backup centers often need to be able to slide to guard, and backup guards to either side.

When you look at the depth players on the roster, carrying 9 or 10 offensive linemen, it always works out that you have two, maybe three, who will be the immediate backups at multiple positions, and then you have a couple players who are clearly 3rd string contingency or developmental players.

Needless to say, it's even more important to find the best starters at each spot on the line, and the only way you're going to do that is to experiment a little, although I think we see very little of that during camp and preseason games. Those guys mostly practiced in one spot. Even with the starters, they need to be flexible, and being able to handle just one position on the line makes the line weaker by limiting coaches' flexibility when injuries occur.
perrynoid

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very engaging, though long, article about Elflein. The more I know about our draft picks, the better I feel about them improving our chances this year.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2016/07/71925/the-finisher-ohio-state-center-pat-elflein-embodies-family-mindset-with-intensity-on-field
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the Vikings’ lack of depth up front, there’s a chance Elflein will be the team’s starting center for the opener, a move that would entail Elflein calling out adjustments to his veteran linemen teammates.

Elflein: “That’s the job of the center, and if that’s what it is, then that’s what it is. I’m sure the older veterans will help make the calls too. That’s a long ways down the road. I just have to keep getting better and keep learning, being a part of this team. Being on the offensive line in general, you’ve got to be a smart player. Just getting the offense down and taking those steps mentally is what’s going to probably be my biggest learning point.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/05/vikings-need-rookie-center-pat-elflein-to-add-toughness-up-front/

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:

Depends of where Elflein ends up. If he's pushed to start, yes, let him focus on one position. If Elflein is a likely backup, he may need to learn Guard if he wants to be one of the two reserve OL on game day.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Urban Meyer signed his first recruiting class as the head coach of the Ohio State football team, there were a number of big names that seemed like can’t miss prospects, including Noah Spence, Adolphus Washington, and Michael Thomas, after the latter spent a year at Fork Union Military Academy. There were also a number of moderately heralded recruits that turned into stars, like Cardale Jones, Tyvis Powell, and Joshua Perry.

However, at the bottom of nearly every recruiting service’s rankings of the 2012 Buckeye class was the 983rd rated player in the country, a 6’3, 280 lb. offensive guard from Pickerington, OH named Pat Elflein. The eventual Buckeye great was ranked as the 55th guard in his class, and the 62nd best player to come out of Ohio in 2012.

Following a foot injury that forced him to red-shirt his first year on campus, Elflein played as a reserve in every game of his freshman year, and then started 40 straight games en route to becoming a team captain and one of the most heralded lineman in Ohio State history.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2017/4/26/15424324/ohio-state-2017-nfl-draft-pat-elflein-ready-to-defy-expectations

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Center is arguably one of the best positions in Vikings history, regarding the number of players who've had strong careers there.

Mick Tingelhoff (17 seasons in Minnesota, started 240 games at C from 1962-1978)
Dennis Swilley (11 seasons in Minnesota, started 101 games at C from 1979-1986)
Kirk Lowdermilk (8 seasons in Minnesota, started 86 games at C from 1987-1992)
Jeff Christy (6 seasons in Minnesota, started 92 games at C from 1994-1999)
Matt Birk (11 seasons in Minnesota, started 123 games at C from 2000-2008)
John Sullivan (8 seasons in Minnesota, started 93 games at C from 2009-2014)

Some games missed were sprinkled in there due to injury or time off, such as Matt Birk's missed season in 2005 and Dennis Swilley missing the 1984 season, but it's still been a pretty impressive run. These six players have accounted for 735 of the team's 854 games all-time (86%). I would love to see Pat Elflein's name added to this list of longevity.

Elflein is the highest drafted on this list since Lowdermilk, another Ohio native who went to school at OSU. Lowdermilk was also drafted in the 3rd round, with the 59th pick in 1985.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That list of centers is impressive, and with that usually comes reputation of an offensive line being strong in chemistry and performance.

The Vikes have sorely missed Sullivan and I fully expect the O-line to become more cost-effective by cutting Berger as soon as they know what they have in Elfein. The other part of the future O-line's development revolves around Sparano, and he'd better deliver. It's not like the team doesn't have the horses up front to perform well as a unit and execute a gameplan . . . they have 10 guys that are 6' 4" or taller and weigh over 300 lbs to choose from. Each brings skills and strengths to the squad, it's the coach's responsibility to get them trained and entrenched.

I tend to believe the lack of leadership, regardless of what metric rated Berger highly, was a major factor to the O-line playing like crap the past few years.

For comparison sake . . . even with Everett Lindsay and Mike Rosenthal on the line, Birk was able to keep them somewhat organized.

It takes 5 ...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: