Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Select Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: 49ers Select Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado Reply with quote

Discuss!

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
GANNDMK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the pick. That's three starters now. Great trade for # 67. Lynch is just killing it.
niners2theend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahkello's grand pops... Jimmy...

https://youtu.be/XyUaweAQ1hA

The #1 hit song "Ain't nobody's business"
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GANNDMK wrote:
Love the pick. That's three starters now. Great trade for # 67. Lynch is just killing it.

It's really incredible. I agree - I think Robinson/Witherspoon are likely to start day 1, and of course Thomas and (if healthy) Foster will start. And I think all three can be long-term guys for us.

I'm good with switching to the offense now to try and unearth some gems. WR/TE/RB/QB depth. Kareem Hunt is my new focus.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're building a secondary similar to the Seahawks when they had Sherman/Browner. But our two CBs need to tighten up their tackling as Sherman/Browner were very good tacklers.

El ramster on the sig
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really believe that both Moreau and Lewis are better CBs and both were still available when this pick was made. It will be interesting comparing these three as their careers unfold...

That being said, Witherspoon from a cover CB perspective, is a serious talent. But the kid is allergic to tackling. Like he is a complete liability on the edge and I think it will prevent him from being a starter early on until he vastly improves in that area. Not a bad pick but I'm not as excited as most are.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave both of yesterday's picks an A+. I'm gonna give this one a B+. We had a need at cb and filled it with a guy with all kinds of potential. Really good value at this spot too. I'm only holding back a bit on my grade because there were several cbs available and we won't knor a wehile if we got the best of them. Lynch said after the pick that they had a cluster of cbs and he was tthe one they all agreed on as the best. So we'll see.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The length on Witherspoon is where his value stands. There just arent many human beings that can mirror receivers with 4.4 speed while standing 6'3 with 33" arms. Just watching what's out there on him you can see he uses that length to get deflections without pass interference, in the redzone he's not getting out jumped either with that 40" vert.

23 pd's is a lot, his tackling isnt something where he'll be used in blitzes but I think he'll be fine there in time. Former soccer players take a little time to learn how to hit Wink

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
The length on Witherspoon is where his value stands. There just arent many human beings that can mirror receivers with 4.4 speed while standing 6'3 with 33" arms. Just watching what's out there on him you can see he uses that length to get deflections without pass interference, in the redzone he's not getting out jumped either with that 40" vert.

23 pd's is a lot, his tackling isnt something where he'll be used in blitzes but I think he'll be fine there in time. Former soccer players take a little time to learn how to hit Wink

You've pretty much nailed what I see as well. He's one of the best man on man guys in the draft. With the beastly D-Line we've suddenly developed (the lone good remnants from Baalke) to go along with Foster/Bowman in the middle, tackling isn't my biggest concern on the outside. Reid/Ward are good run defenders. There are lots of options there. It's not to say Witherspoon won't need to learn this, but at first - shutting down receivers is the key, because our run defense should already be much improved. So now we can neutralize receivers in the passing game.

You add a true pass-rusher (maybe Solomon Thomas shows to be this) to that model, and you have a top tier defense...should everyone pan out. Look at it:

Base:

LEO: Thomas (can switch with RDE) (1st)
UT: Buckner (1st)
NT: Mitchell
RDE: Armstead (can switch with LEO) (1st)

WLB: Foster (1st)
MLB: Bowman (Pro Bowl-caliber)
SLB: Brooks/Lynch (can play LEO) maybe Armstrong/Smith compete

CB: Robinson
CB: Reaser (underrated run defender)/Witherspoon/Johnson

FS: Ward (1st)
SS: Reid (1st)

Nickel:

DE: Thomas
DT: Buckner
DT: Armstead
DE: Lynch

SLB: Bowman
WLB: Foster

CB: Robinson
CB: Witherspoon
NB: Williams/Redmond/Reaser/Johnson

FS: Ward
SS: Reid

It's looking good on paper. On field is always another question, but I certainly am very optimistic about the defense right now.

Aussie9er

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pick at position of need.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: