Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2nd Round (61): Josh Jones [S; NC State]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boratt wrote:
People talking about him being a Deion Jones type prospect all over. This place must have just missed it.

So glad their playing him at ILB. A guy that fast in that position changes the game!! And everything I read, this guy doesn't just time fast, he plays lightning fast so look the [inappropriate/removed] out, Green Bay's defense just got faster.

Randall being healthy and Kevin King being here, we got faster on the outside too. Burnett and dix, maybe not fast fast but peaking as a tandem and should be able to play very fast together!

If things gel together over the course of the season and health is on our side, look out!!!

The comp. has been made frequently around here.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
Mazrimiv

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
I think Josh Jones will take some snaps from Joe Thomas as the ILB in dime
The Packers have wanted to deploy a Safety/ILB hybrid for some time
They tried it with McMillian, they tried it with Sean Richardson and Robertson Daniel too and they tried it with Burnett last year.
Its called the "dollar" package.

Looks like you probably nailed this one.

Pete Dougherty, USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin wrote:
For a good chunk of the practice Friday, Jones played inside linebacker. He did it in nickel in seven-on-seven work against the offense, and he even worked with the inside ‘backers when the team broke off into individual drills in the middle of the session.

I'll be very interested to see whether the team has Jones in this role throughout OTA's. Thomas has plenty of heart, but he doesn't have the tools to excel in that nickle/dime role.
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazrimiv wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
I think Josh Jones will take some snaps from Joe Thomas as the ILB in dime
The Packers have wanted to deploy a Safety/ILB hybrid for some time
They tried it with McMillian, they tried it with Sean Richardson and Robertson Daniel too and they tried it with Burnett last year.
Its called the "dollar" package.

Looks like you probably nailed this one.

Pete Dougherty, USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin wrote:
For a good chunk of the practice Friday, Jones played inside linebacker. He did it in nickel in seven-on-seven work against the offense, and he even worked with the inside ‘backers when the team broke off into individual drills in the middle of the session.

I'll be very interested to see whether the team has Jones in this role throughout OTA's. Thomas has plenty of heart, but he doesn't have the tools to excel in that nickle/dime role.

Dollar is 8 DB's. It's basically prevent Defense. The packages go Nickle (5 DB's), Dime (6), Quarter (7), and then Dollar (Cool. At least that is my understanding.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more likely that you'll see a dime package with a S at ILB instead of Joe Thomas.

So 6/7 DBs depending on how you count Jones in that situation, but they are calling it Dollar.
boratt

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're gonna see Jones play a part time role at ILB unless an injury happens at safety.

Next year he'll be a full time ILB.
Kenrik

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boratt wrote:
I think we're gonna see Jones play a part time role at ILB unless an injury happens at safety.

I doubt it.

Last year we ran a lot of 2-4-5 with that extra DB being a Safety. I dont see how thats changing. Either Jones is learning Bunretts in the box position so we have depth while he plays out of the box or hes going to replace Burnett in the box. His size and athleticism may allow us to stand up against the run much better than last year.
fattlipp

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boratt wrote:

Yep, he's our

Deion Jones, Sua Cravens, Donte Buchanaon, Kwon Alexander

the new breed

& I love it.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fattlipp wrote:
boratt wrote:

Yep, he's our

the new breed

& I love it.

Nobody ever mentions mark Barron Sad
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure you draft Jones with the acknowledgement that both of your safeties are in contract years, and you might not be able/want to retain both, so in that case Jones takes over one of the starting safety jobs next year.

But in case you do end up bringing back both safeties, you want to be able to do something with your 2nd round pick so you run him out there in dollar and dime packages as an LB.

It's sort of similar to how the Spriggs pick was likely made in response to "I'm not sure if we can resign Bakh" but Jones can play in a few places, whereas Spriggs is pretty much a tackle only.
Chili

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fattlipp wrote:
boratt wrote:

Yep, he's our

the new breed

& I love it.

I don't think its a new thing, this is something that has been going on for a while now. It started off with Polamalu and Woodson eventually followed him but since then that particular position took off in a big way and is now widely implemented in the NFL. Kam Chancellor, Deion Jones, Donte Bucannon, Sua Cravens, Shaq Thompson, Telvin Smith, Mark Barron, George Ioka, Myles Jack, Ryan Shazier etc. Ever since Woodson left the Packers has totally neglected this position whilst other teams actively tried to draft guys for that specific role. This year we had at least two potential targets in the draft in Josh Jones and Obi Melifonwu and we managed to draft one of them. We now finally caught up with the rest of NFL in drafting a player in that mold and hopefully we will be tough to play against through the middle.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
boratt wrote:

Yep, he's our

the new breed

& I love it.

I don't think its a new thing, this is something that has been going on for a while now. It started off with Polamalu and Woodson eventually followed him but since then that particular position took off in a big way and is now widely implemented in the NFL. Kam Chancellor, Deion Jones, Donte Bucannon, Sua Cravens, Shaq Thompson, Telvin Smith, Mark Barron, George Ioka, Myles Jack, Ryan Shazier etc. Ever since Woodson left the Packers has totally neglected this position whilst other teams actively tried to draft guys for that specific role. This year we had at least two potential targets in the draft in Josh Jones and Obi Melifonwu and we managed to draft one of them. We now finally caught up with the rest of NFL in drafting a player in that mold and hopefully we will be tough to play against through the middle.

I know one thing, it's publicized more than ever. I know people who couldn't name me 2 other Cardinals who talk IRL about how great Buchannon is I swear every time football is the subject of conversation.

You couldn't go 5 minutes in their games without hearing it, then it leaked to every single other game with similar guys like you listed. It's getting old hearing about it Laughing
TransientTexan

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
boratt wrote:

Yep, he's our

the new breed

& I love it.

you listed 9 teams. how is that the "rest of the nfl"?
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we trying to pretend Su'a Cravens is good in here?
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:

Live and die with an undersized ILB. These guys are all essentially the same player at different stages in their development.

If you want that guy, fine, but you're playing a specific defense at that point.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:

Live and die with an undersized ILB. These guys are all essentially the same player at different stages in their development.

If you want that guy, fine, but you're playing a specific defense at that point.

I mean, Big Nickel is a thing and has been for a while, so why are we out here wanting to pretend safeties are linebackers instead of just "playing three safeties".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: