You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pick #56 - Obi Melifonwu (S)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE MAD STORK

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
THE MAD STORK wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
I see Obi and KJo switching back and forth between FS/SS. The cool thing is they can both play both positions. I see Obi playing more FS and KJo more SS though.

We are going to have one heck of a versatile secondary. Obi can play either S spot, Outside CB, and I think we could use him at LB on obvious passing situations to cover TEs.

KJo can play either S spot and Nickel corner.

Conley can play both outside and nickel corner.

Carrie is not starter material even at nickel but he is depth at Outside CB, Nickel, FS, and SS. A swiss army knife backup guy.

Could be Smith and Nelsons last year with their lack of versatility.

How is Carrie not starter material? When he basically outplayed everyone in the secondary when given the opportunity....blows my mind how people continue to throw shade at Carrie. The guys making no money and comes out and outplays both Amerson and Smith last year. But maybe some people on here still think Hayden is better Laughing

Not sure what games you were watching. While Smith and Amerson had some bad games, they also had some tremendous games that Carrie is not capable of having. And yes Hayden did out perform Carrie last year. Last year was Haydens best season. Allthough didn't warrant an extension.

Carrie I like a lot. But in coverage he's a little below average, for sure.

Just one of those players Raider fans will defend until no end because of bias. Carrie being our permanent nickel corner is not a good thing.

You mean DJ "5 PI/ per Game" Hayden? You think he or performed Carrie? Carrie had very good games second half of the season (when he got a chance). If you watch Hayden, you could call a PI on him 70% of every passing play.
And Carrie is definitely not a fan favorite. I can't think of many people on here who like him.

Carrie had huge games last year against KC Denver Colts SD just off the top of my head. I have no clue why people continue to disrespect his coverage skill.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MAD STORK wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
THE MAD STORK wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
I see Obi and KJo switching back and forth between FS/SS. The cool thing is they can both play both positions. I see Obi playing more FS and KJo more SS though.

We are going to have one heck of a versatile secondary. Obi can play either S spot, Outside CB, and I think we could use him at LB on obvious passing situations to cover TEs.

Carrie is not starter material even at nickel but he is depth at Outside CB, Nickel, FS, and SS. A swiss army knife backup guy.

How is Carrie not starter material? When he basically outplayed everyone in the secondary when given the opportunity....blows my mind how people continue to throw shade at Carrie. The guys making no money and comes out and outplays both Amerson and Smith last year. But maybe some people on here still think Hayden is better Laughing

Not sure what games you were watching. While Smith and Amerson had some bad games, they also had some tremendous games that Carrie is not capable of having. And yes Hayden did out perform Carrie last year. Last year was Haydens best season. Allthough didn't warrant an extension.

Just one of those players Raider fans will defend until no end because of bias. Carrie being our permanent nickel corner is not a good thing.

You mean DJ "5 PI/ per Game" Hayden? You think he or performed Carrie? Carrie had very good games second half of the season (when he got a chance). If you watch Hayden, you could call a PI on him 70% of every passing play.
And Carrie is definitely not a fan favorite. I can't think of many people on here who like him.

Carrie had huge games last year against KC Denver Colts SD just off the top of my head. I have no clue why people continue to disrespect his coverage skill.

I'm with you. I think carrie is still a young player who hasn't had tons and tons of starting time, but is a capable #4 at the very least. If he sticks with the team, down the line when Conley kicks outside, i see him being a nickel corner, unless we upgrade the position.

He can cover though. Just shouldn't be a starting outside corner IMO.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
THE MAD STORK

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
THE MAD STORK wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
THE MAD STORK wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

I'm with you. I think carrie is still a young player who hasn't had tons and tons of starting time, but is a capable #4 at the very least. If he sticks with the team, down the line when Conley kicks outside, i see him being a nickel corner, unless we upgrade the position.

If we got Carrie and his clone as our # 3 and 4 corner, I'm more than happy.

I believe Carrie never even got a fair shot to start last season. I think the coaching staff felt Hayden and Carrie were close in skill level, so they wanted to give every opportunity for Reggies 1st rounder to succeed; or should I say his LAST shot. Which is why he had to kick rocks. But no way in my mind, did Hayden beat Carrie out. He just never was given a real shot. From preseason until Hayden got hurt
Dessie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MAD STORK wrote:
I think the coaching staff felt Hayden and Carrie were close in skill level, so they wanted to give every opportunity for Reggies 1st rounder to succeed; or should I say his LAST shot. Which is why he had to kick rocks.

Tough to argue against tbh. Carrie did well in the games following Hayden's injury and was an improvement for sure.

Hayden imo following the arrival of KNJ/JDR was a bad fit for our D (not long enough) and only ever going to be a nickel. Carrie is a decent nickel in our D, not sure he fits what we want for boundary though. Carrie gives us decent depth, don't think anyone over values him. Fair play to Stork though as he was banging the Carrie drum from early in season.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Carrie...he's solid DB depth. Could start in a pinch, play outside, inside and even Safety. He's a quality guy good teams have on their roster.

Its obvious, though, that Reggie feels he is someone we can upgrade upon. Amerson, Smith and now Conley have all been brought in to start.

Good depth on a 7th round contact.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MAD STORK wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
THE MAD STORK wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
THE MAD STORK wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

If we got Carrie and his clone as our # 3 and 4 corner, I'm more than happy.

I believe Carrie never even got a fair shot to start last season. I think the coaching staff felt Hayden and Carrie were close in skill level, so they wanted to give every opportunity for Reggies 1st rounder to succeed; or should I say his LAST shot. Which is why he had to kick rocks. But no way in my mind, did Hayden beat Carrie out. He just never was given a real shot. From preseason until Hayden got hurt

I think you're absolutely correct here Mad Stork, Hayden got the benefit of the doubt from the FO and a last chance to impress based on his draft status and a lot of us were rooting for him to finally show up but in fairness as you predicted, Carrie was better when given the opportunity.

We are starting to have the look of a good secondary moving forward now, especially if Carrie is a #3 or #4 then we have some great depth. Obi is a good value pick in the 2nd and though not a typical hard hitting SS, he is a 'safe' tackler which is not to be underestimated - it's in the job title! I can see what the FO were looking for in that we have been prone to flipping the safeties in responsibility and both guys can cover and play close to the LoS. The obvious comparisons are to Chancellor based on the H/W/S but I think we all know he is a once in a generation type player. Melifonwu is his own player and should be good for what we require but he's no Chancellor despite the external similarities.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Carrie doesnt progress I dont see him being on the roster for more than a year or two.

imo, Hayden>Carrie last season. Before that Carrie was playing better.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Daniel Jeremiah says Obis Safety tape looks extremely average but he loves him as a corner. Perhaps Obi and Conley will both be our eventual starting outside corners and Smith and Amerson both kick rocks in 1-2 years. We would still need a safety to pair with Joseph though.
DirtyHarry

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
So Daniel Jeremiah says Obis Safety tape looks extremely average but he loves him as a corner. Perhaps Obi and Conley will both be our eventual starting outside corners and Smith and Amerson both kick rocks in 1-2 years. We would still need a safety to pair with Joseph though.

I don't know DJ knows more football than me but full time corner did he ever play it at Uconn ?

JonesDrew32 wrote:
38-10 Chargers

This game should definitely bring some lulz from the Raiders side.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyHarry wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

I don't know DJ knows more football than me but full time corner did he ever play it at Uconn ?

Don't think so but he apparently played corner in the senior bowl and was lights out.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:

Carrie?

I kid...kinda

Actually, Derwin James would make us pretty special on defense.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

Carrie?

I kid...kinda

Derwin James is the best safety prospect in years but I hope we're no where near his draft slot come 2018. Kid is imo the best player in CFB.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:

I'd agree Obi looked average when playing deep half. I liked him in the box and he flashed special ability in man coverage and as a single high safety.

DJ's logic is corner is more valuable so a team should always test him there and let him fail before moving him to safety. I disagree. I think he can be a special at safety and he'll be using a lot of those same skills there while covering tight ends and big slots in man.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
imo, Hayden>Carrie last season.

NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

Carrie?

I kid...kinda

Derwin James is the best safety prospect in years but I hope we're no where near his draft slot come 2018. Kid is imo the best player in CFB.

You know how those rankings can change. This time last year Brad Kaaya and Taz Tabor were thought to be top 5 picks by many.

But I agree with him being an elite prospect at the moment and we wouldn't want to be in elite prospect range.

I just loved the thought...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: