You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pick #56 - Obi Melifonwu (S)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:
Bone_Collector wrote:
jlieberum1985 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
badmoon8081 wrote:

Still can't name a starting front 7 though Smile

SAM: Irvin/Calhoun
5T: MEJ/Ward/Autry
NT: Ellis
3T: Latham/Vanderdoes
LEO: Mack/Cowser (Aldon Smith)

MIKE: James/Heeney
WILL: Jenkins/Ball

maybe draft linebacker in 5th round and resign riley, i would cut heeney after the draft

Might as well keep Heeney around for camp. What if he improves?

He's shown nothing. Looks lost out there. Need to cut ASAP

Agree with BONE. He'll be here for camp. Even with his struggle he is under contract and camp is see what progress players have made in the off season. At worst he is cut in the roster trim down. It cost us nothing to get a look. Plain dumb to cut him now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know everyone's opinion but I thought the lack of a pass rush caused our secondary to have to cover for to long more so than our secondary not giving the pass rush enough time to get to the QB. We do have deficiencies in both areas but I think we would have been better served focusing on the pass rush. I still trust RM though so until I see this team start to regress I will support him.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfrey13 wrote:
I do not know everyone's opinion but I thought the lack of a pass rush caused our secondary to have to cover for to long more so than our secondary not giving the pass rush enough time to get to the QB. We do have deficiencies in both areas but I think we would have been better served focusing on the pass rush. I still trust RM though so until I see this team start to regress I will support him.

I think at times this is true as there are very few absolutes but mainly it wasn't because of the lack of pass rushers as many have said when this point is repeated brought up. I think the main reason is the lack of push in the middle. I think the addition of Eddie and Hestor(both guys known for their quick first step and excelling in attacking systems where they penetrate) partly address that but also bringing Pagano in to help design different ways to get pressure will improve this more than adding a pass rusher would have.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:

I think at times this is true as there are very few absolutes but mainly it wasn't because of the lack of pass rushers as many have said when this point is repeated brought up. I think the main reason is the lack of push in the middle. I think the addition of Eddie and Hestor(both guys known for their quick first step and excelling in attacking systems where they penetrate) partly address that but also bringing Pagano in to help design different ways to get pressure will improve this more than adding a pass rusher would have.

And of course the Edwards coming back, wo if he gets back to his pre-injury form, should make a massive difference for us. Saw a pic of him doing one of his backflips the other day, so that's a pretty good sign he's ready to go.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddevil wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:

And of course the Edwards coming back, wo if he gets back to his pre-injury form, should make a massive difference for us. Saw a pic of him doing one of his backflips the other day, so that's a pretty good sign he's ready to go.

Yup, he should be a difference maker this year. Those back flip vids were a while ago but he looked ready in offseason workouts. Jack also said that Ward has been working like crazy to improve and looks great. All should help.

The main thing I think thou is us realizing we were very limited in what we could do in the back end. We aren't that anymore. I even look forward to what we can get from Luani.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
reddevil wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:

Yup, he should be a difference maker this year. Those back flip vids were a while ago but he looked ready in offseason workouts. Jack also said that Ward has been working like crazy to improve and looks great. All should help.

The main thing I think thou is us realizing we were very limited in what we could do in the back end. We aren't that anymore. I even look forward to what we can get from Luani.

The pic of he backflip was from the offseason workouts a couple of days ago:

http://prod.images.raiders.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/RAIDERS/assets/images/imported/OAK/photos/clubimages/2017/04-April/temp042717OFFWORKPROG49--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddevil wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
reddevil wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:

The pic of he backflip was from the offseason workouts a couple of days ago:

http://prod.images.raiders.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/RAIDERS/assets/images/imported/OAK/photos/clubimages/2017/04-April/temp042717OFFWORKPROG49--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

Cot damn!

Impressive, young man.

Now never do that again please. Thanks!

We're trying to win rings.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
attack_in_s/b wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
If we can only have one guy having the ability to lay wood, I wish KJo could transfer that to Obi. A 5'10" guy laying wood is gonna be injured a lot.

Does height really have anything to do with injury risk? Always thought that was more of a weight thing - imo k-jo should be looking to get up to around 220.

Great pick with obi though. Totally agree with BP though he looks soft atm. I'd be way more afraid to take a hit from Joseph and he's 5 inches shorter and about 30 pounds lighter.... what's wrong with that picture?
Sound tackler doesn't make you soft. Launching yourself gets you injured.

I wasn't suggesting he should launch himself.... injuries aside it's also a good way to get penalties/fines/suspensions. What I was referring to is hitting with authority - and by that I mean delivering the contact instead of absorbing it. Always like to see a guy that runs through tackles and aims to stop the ball carrier in his tracks as opposed to dragging him down. To me, obi looks like the drag down type and while he doesn't need to be chancellor - I'd like to see his freakish size show up when he makes contact. If force = mass x velocity he's 230lbs running a 4.4 - that's a lot of potential force that I didn't see in his highlights.

But that's jmo. I still really like the pick. As a coverage guy I think he's actually a lot better than he gets credit for - does a good job breaking on routes and coming down hill to break it up. Plays with a lot of discipline in his assignments and like you said, while he's not a battering ram he doesn't miss many tackles either. I think he can start pretty early on
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

attack_in_s/b wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
attack_in_s/b wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
If we can only have one guy having the ability to lay wood, I wish KJo could transfer that to Obi. A 5'10" guy laying wood is gonna be injured a lot.

Does height really have anything to do with injury risk? Always thought that was more of a weight thing - imo k-jo should be looking to get up to around 220.

Great pick with obi though. Totally agree with BP though he looks soft atm. I'd be way more afraid to take a hit from Joseph and he's 5 inches shorter and about 30 pounds lighter.... what's wrong with that picture?
Sound tackler doesn't make you soft. Launching yourself gets you injured.

I wasn't suggesting he should launch himself.... injuries aside it's also a good way to get penalties/fines/suspensions. What I was referring to is hitting with authority - and by that I mean delivering the contact instead of absorbing it. Always like to see a guy that runs through tackles and aims to stop the ball carrier in his tracks as opposed to dragging him down. To me, obi looks like the drag down type and while he doesn't need to be chancellor - I'd like to see his freakish size show up when he makes contact. If force = mass x velocity he's 230lbs running a 4.4 - that's a lot of potential force that I didn't see in his highlights.

But that's jmo. I still really like the pick. As a coverage guy I think he's actually a lot better than he gets credit for - does a good job breaking on routes and coming down hill to break it up. Plays with a lot of discipline in his assignments and like you said, while he's not a battering ram he doesn't miss many tackles either. I think he can start pretty early on
Cool! I'll add to this even though a certain someone doesn't believe it's possible, but once he see's how Kjo is out there hitting I can see him becoming a more forceful tackler.
SilverNBlackFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the Raiders said yet whether he'll be a CB or S?
jlieberum1985

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverNBlackFan wrote:
Have the Raiders said yet whether he'll be a CB or S?

i assume OLB/CB/S hybrid, our linebackers so bad and can't cover tight end lol
BayRaider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll definitely be a hybrid guy for us. I see him with just as many snaps at LB as S. Our LB corps amd TE coverage from that spot is just soooo bad I think it's almost for sure we try him out there.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he plays nothing like a linebacker. he's a free safety who has the ability to play man to man when situations call for it. and yes size wise he's ideal to defend TE's. he has kam chancellor's frame but they play nothing alike
jlieberum1985

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
he plays nothing like a linebacker. he's a free safety who has the ability to play man to man when situations call for it. and yes size wise he's ideal to defend TE's. he has kam chancellor's frame but they play nothing alike

strong safety that can play box or deep. i believe joseph better off at free safety over nelson and melifonwu can mix it up depending which formation the offense running
Totty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:

Agree. There only similarities I see are their size. And Kam still has 10lbs on him. Everyone seems to be anointing him Kam because they are similar size and play the same position. I'm not an evaluator, but when the network put up a picture of Chancellor as his player comparison, I almost fell over. It's a lazy comparison.

He's not a huge hitter. Or a run defender really. He may play in the box, but I'm skeptical on how that will pan out. I see a center fielder. KaJo is no doubt the enforcer back there.

First Steve Jobs, Now Al Davis.. God must be building something.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: