You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pick #56 - Obi Melifonwu (S)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Rolni wrote:
What I really like with this Karl Joseph-Obi Melifonwu pair is that we can play multiple sets with them.

Both of them can drop back and cover deep, because they have the range and the ball skills.
Both of them can come up and play the run, since both of them are willing and quality tacklers.
Obi can offer more against TE's, while Karl can offer more against WR's, but they can play in nickel LB situations if needed.

We can play FS-SS with them or can play the quarters and left-right S if we want to. Really good fit IMO.

You nailed it! That's how I picture them playing for years to come as well. I love safeties that can tackle, are sure tacklers, and can cover. If they can hit, that's just a cherry on top. We all know Karl can lay the wood and I think it will rub off on Obi eventually.

Pretty sure that's NOT how it works. Obi isn't a hitter and never will be one. If he can be a sure tackler, that's what you want.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Cautiously optimistic. He's a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type. Soft for his size. Nothing special to his game.

IMO, you look back in 2 years, he's JAG and doesn't have the impact some other prospects might have had.
in what universe is this optimistic?

In that the staff sees his role and value to the team. I just don't see anything I like. This is an Al Davis pick. Athlete playing football. Don't like how soft he is.

I can already picture you highlighting every bad play he has throughout his career... Sad

I'm not that guy. And I have nothing but hope for the pick. A lot of guys I liked more, but I can't argue 2nd round value on a h/w/s prospect like Obi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Rolni wrote:
What I really like with this Karl Joseph-Obi Melifonwu pair is that we can play multiple sets with them.

Both of them can drop back and cover deep, because they have the range and the ball skills.
Both of them can come up and play the run, since both of them are willing and quality tacklers.
Obi can offer more against TE's, while Karl can offer more against WR's, but they can play in nickel LB situations if needed.

We can play FS-SS with them or can play the quarters and left-right S if we want to. Really good fit IMO.

You nailed it! That's how I picture them playing for years to come as well. I love safeties that can tackle, are sure tacklers, and can cover. If they can hit, that's just a cherry on top. We all know Karl can lay the wood and I think it will rub off on Obi eventually.

Pretty sure that's NOT how it works. Obi isn't a hitter and never will be one. If he can be a sure tackler, that's what you want.

This. I'm pretty confident the enforcer in our secondary is going to be Joseph.

First Steve Jobs, Now Al Davis.. God must be building something.
THE MAD STORK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Rolni wrote:

You. Ever know, Earl Thomas was not the hitter he is today back in college. Not even close.
Synyster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, RoyalMajesty51o sucks you guys in everytime. Laughing
RoyalMajesty510

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Rolni wrote:

Like I said, "I think." If he can't be one, it's perfectly fine. He got all the other tools to be a good player like I mentioned abover from being able to tackle, is a sure tackler, and can cover. It's not the end of the world. Relax.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MAD STORK wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Rolni wrote:

You never know, Earl Thomas was not the hitter he is today back in college. Not even close.
Exactly competition can change things, not saying I even want him to be trying to blow guy's up, but when he's sees Kjo laying the wood, he will say to himself I can hit like that too. One can rub off on the other.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can only have one guy having the ability to lay wood, I wish KJo could transfer that to Obi. A 5'10" guy laying wood is gonna be injured a lot.
attack_in_s/b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
If we can only have one guy having the ability to lay wood, I wish KJo could transfer that to Obi. A 5'10" guy laying wood is gonna be injured a lot.

Does height really have anything to do with injury risk? Always thought that was more of a weight thing - imo k-jo should be looking to get up to around 220.

Great pick with obi though. Totally agree with BP though he looks soft atm. I'd be way more afraid to take a hit from Joseph and he's 5 inches shorter and about 30 pounds lighter.... what's wrong with that picture?
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Cautiously optimistic. He's a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type. Soft for his size. Nothing special to his game.

IMO, you look back in 2 years, he's JAG and doesn't have the impact some other prospects might have had.
in what universe is this optimistic?

In that the staff sees his role and value to the team. I just don't see anything I like. This is an Al Davis pick. Athlete playing football. Don't like how soft he is.

I can already picture you highlighting every bad play he has throughout his career... Sad

I'm not that guy. And I have nothing but hope for the pick. A lot of guys I liked more, but I can't argue 2nd round value on a h/w/s prospect like Obi

I'm pretty sure you're that guy since you've done it with King for example.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be subjective, but tough =/= hard hitter and soft =/= not a big hitter. Obi Melifonwu is not close to being soft in my eyes. Soft is shying away from contact - that's not Obi. He's a drag down tackler who does lack some stopping power, same type as Zach Cunningham.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

attack_in_s/b wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

Does height really have anything to do with injury risk? Always thought that was more of a weight thing - imo k-jo should be looking to get up to around 220.

Great pick with obi though. Totally agree with BP though he looks soft atm. I'd be way more afraid to take a hit from Joseph and he's 5 inches shorter and about 30 pounds lighter.... what's wrong with that picture?

Nothing. Being big doesn't mean hitting hard.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

attack_in_s/b wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

Sound tackler doesn't make you soft. Launching yourself gets you injured.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

attack_in_s/b wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

Weight and height go hand in hand. You are suppose to be 8lbs heavier for every inch taller you are. Someone who's 220 at 5'10" isn't going to have great agility.
badmoon8081

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping we keep all the key secondary guys. Starters = Sean Smith, Connely, Obi, Joseph. Emerson = slot corner. Nelson = dime package safety to allow obli to be a CB covering the 4th WR or TE. The modern game you need 5-6 solid DBs. We have that now.

Still can't name a starting front 7 though Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: