You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pick #56 - Obi Melifonwu (S)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
I really do think he's gonna play more OLB for us than Safety.
Doubt it.
G

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like this pick and thought he'd go around 40th so I see value. Was 3-4th then post season game pushed him into 2nd and combine had many thinking 1st. Great pick at 56 and I don't need him to be a big hitter but a sure tackler who can cover TE's. Also mach-up on Julio Jones/Megatron types.
Rolni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really like with this Karl Joseph-Obi Melifonwu pair is that we can play multiple sets with them.

Both of them can drop back and cover deep, because they have the range and the ball skills.
Both of them can come up and play the run, since both of them are willing and quality tacklers.
Obi can offer more against TE's, while Karl can offer more against WR's, but they can play in nickel LB situations if needed.

We can play FS-SS with them or can play the quarters and left-right S if we want to. Really good fit IMO.
RoyalMajesty51o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
McGill definitely gone now.

Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo!

I sure hope so, but we need to draft one more SS for depth. We got Obi Melifonwu at SS and both Karl Joseph and Reggie Nelson at FS. I would like to use a 7th round pick on a SS that will be a stud on special teams. Damarius Travis would be my choice.
RoyalMajesty51o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
What I really like with this Karl Joseph-Obi Melifonwu pair is that we can play multiple sets with them.

Both of them can drop back and cover deep, because they have the range and the ball skills.
Both of them can come up and play the run, since both of them are willing and quality tacklers.
Obi can offer more against TE's, while Karl can offer more against WR's, but they can play in nickel LB situations if needed.

We can play FS-SS with them or can play the quarters and left-right S if we want to. Really good fit IMO.

You nailed it! That's how I picture them playing for years to come as well. I love safeties that can tackle, are sure tacklers, and can cover. If they can hit, that's just a cherry on top. We all know Karl can lay the wood and I think it will rub off on Obi eventually.
RoyalMajesty51o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
Doubt it.

No way especially when we have a huge hole back there with Reggie Nelson. Better off with a duo of Obi Melifonwu at SS and Karl Joseph at FS than having Karl Joseph at SS and Reggie Nelson at FS. We'll get our WLB later on today. I'm hoping WLB-Jordan Evans from Oklahoma.
reddevil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Rolni wrote:

You nailed it! That's how I picture them playing for years to come as well. I love safeties that can tackle, are sure tacklers, and can cover. If they can hit, that's just a cherry on top. We all know Karl can lay the wood and I think it will rub off on Obi eventually.

Agreed. It's Obi's range that is appealing and allows the flexibility to do different things with them both.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Cautiously optimistic. He's a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type. Soft for his size. Nothing special to his game.

IMO, you look back in 2 years, he's JAG and doesn't have the impact some other prospects might have had.
in what universe is this optimistic?

In that the staff sees his role and value to the team. I just don't see anything I like. This is an Al Davis pick. Athlete playing football. Don't like how soft he is.

Obi is "soft"? I didn't see that when i watched him play. He can play either safety spot, or corner. Played press well at the senior bowl, matches up well with tight ends, showed range because of his speed and the ability to drive on underneath routes.

Not perfect, but his ability to match up with tight ends alone is phenomenal. There isn't a safety in this draft you can name who does it better.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
Dessie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:

Agreed and this flexibility was the main reason I wanted Obi in the first, getting him in the 2nd is great value.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Cautiously optimistic. He's a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type. Soft for his size. Nothing special to his game.

IMO, you look back in 2 years, he's JAG and doesn't have the impact some other prospects might have had.

In that the staff sees his role and value to the team. I just don't see anything I like. This is an Al Davis pick. Athlete playing football. Don't like how soft he is.

I can already picture you highlighting every bad play he has throughout his career... Sad
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
Doubt it.

No way especially when we have a huge hole back there with Reggie Nelson. Better off with a duo of Obi Melifonwu at SS and Karl Joseph at FS than having Karl Joseph at SS and Reggie Nelson at FS. We'll get our WLB later on today. I'm hoping WLB-Jordan Evans from Oklahoma.

We'll see if we even keep Nelson. Anyway, i could think of a scenario where Kjo and Obi start in the base and Nelson plays in the nickel with Obi coming down into the box as the designated TEs cover guy.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

There isn't much to back this up. He's soft yet he accrued over 100 tackles in 2016 from the safety position. He has nothing special to his game yet he tested in the 100 percentile in SPARQ and has shown the ability to play corner at 6'4" 224 lbs.
91jmay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

big_palooka wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-OLru9XgAU2-EZ.png:large

So i guess Obi isn't just an athlete then.
Yup, not a big hitter but a solid tackler against the run.
Ya I have no issues with Obi other than his value getting over inflated. I just have other guys ahead of him at 24. I certainly like his tackling and physicality better than Cunningham at LB.

This is how I feel. I don't mind Obi. Just don't think he's a first round talent. Round 2, I'm all for it.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21467196#21467196

Sorry, I had to though. Laughing

A contrarian is as a contrarian does
justwinbaby81

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

big_palooka wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-OLru9XgAU2-EZ.png:large

So i guess Obi isn't just an athlete then.
Yup, not a big hitter but a solid tackler against the run.
Ya I have no issues with Obi other than his value getting over inflated. I just have other guys ahead of him at 24. I certainly like his tackling and physicality better than Cunningham at LB.

This is how I feel. I don't mind Obi. Just don't think he's a first round talent. Round 2, I'm all for it.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21467196#21467196

Sorry, I had to though. Laughing

A contrarian is as a contrarian does

Yep. It's been his shtick for years.

I love the team's commitment towards fixing the defensive backfield. If we are poised for shootouts like our offense has proven to be, we will be seeing more WR on the field. Puts a premium on DB and discounts LB, so I understand the logic.
jlieberum1985

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obi melifonwu will have better impact on the team than zach cunningham, focus stopping the tight end

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: