Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2nd round pick 57th overall: ILB Zach Cunningham

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: 2nd round pick 57th overall: ILB Zach Cunningham Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/zach-cunningham?id=2558094

Quote:
BOTTOM LINE Cunningham's missed tackles and lack of desired play strength could bother teams, but his consistent production is hard to ignore. Cunningham is a rangy, three-down linebacker who has a nose for the ball and special teams value. His downhill approach is made for attacking 4-3 defenses and Cunningham could become a good, early starter as a run-and-chase weak-side linebacker.

Not really a fan. Too many missed tackle and lack of love for the game concerns me. Wish we took a S or OL'men.

Last edited by Texansfan713 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Marco79

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A linebacker that can cover Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another pick who will not be a starter this year.

I'm ok with it, but it's almost like Rick & OB1 are building the team for next year. (Buying someone else's groceries or do they know they are locked in for next year so no rush?)

Also Cush better get his stuff together because this looks like his last year in Htown.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really needed another linebacker. I don't really know about this guy but the paostion was the right way to go. Seems like a 3-4 inside backer but maybe he can play outside.

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
mse326

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes up for the Watson pick.

I'm just gonna pretend we took him in the 1st and Watson in the 2nd. It''ll work until next year when we don't have the 1st.

#JDI
amazingandre

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:

I'm just gonna pretend we took him in the 1st and Watson in the 2nd. It''ll work until next year when we don't have the 1st.

I don't see whatever you see in Cunningham. To me he is JAG. Nothing special. Can't fight off the trash inside, no INTs in 3 years starting, not a big time pass rusher. What does he provide that we can't get from some average ILB with NFL experience off the street?
mse326

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
mse326 wrote:

I don't see whatever you see in Cunningham. To me he is JAG. Nothing special. Can't fight off the trash inside, no INTs in 3 years starting, not a big time pass rusher. What does he provide that we can't get from some average ILB with NFL experience off the street?

Side line to to side line with good coverage skills. INTs are a poor judge of coverage ability.

No one else on the Vandy defense so a lot of trash got to him. Ray Lewis wasn't that great between Siragusa/Adams and Ngata. He was begging for help. With even the smallest hole he has the insane athleticism and instincts to shoot it.

I know tackles aren't a great measure of skill either but you don't lead the SEC in tackles without quite a lot of skill.

#JDI

Last edited by mse326 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Texans going to play him at OLB. Makes sense giving that we lost Simon in free agency.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he was a little quicker he could play safety

Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can afford to play smaller quicker OLB than most 3-4 teams because Wyatt and Clowney are so dominate at DE. This will give us an OLB that can cover backs and TEs.

mse326

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Apparently Texans going to play him at OLB. Makes sense giving that we lost Simon in free agency.

Not surprised. We don't need 2 rush LBers otherwise you're forced into a blitz to maximize your players. He'll be OLB in base and in passing situations he'll stay in with Cush or McKinney going out. Then he'll probably kick inside when Cushing leaves.

The bigger question is whether they want him strong side or weak side. His skill is more suited to weak side but they may want him strong so he is on the TE for coverage.

#JDI
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty underwhelming considering holes in secondary and lines, but a sideline to sideline LB who can also do this new thing called coverage has been on my wishlist for so long now, I'd stopped even hoping for it. I think the Texans are being a little political when saying he'll be playing OLB as this is clearly done as answer to McKinney's laughable coverage ability and Cushing's 30-going-on-50 year old legs. Gotta even wonder if Cushing was going to call his name, but they didn't want him to announce his own replacement, so he got bumped to calling the 3rd rounder.

As for this "doesn't love football" crap that keeps going around, I absolutely call bs. Just because a guy is smart enough to hang at a great school like Vandy and has diverse interests, doesn't mean he doesn't love football. Sure Cushing is big dumb jock who's been shooting stuff into his backside since he grew his first curlies, but it has absolutely cost him some prime time and certainly longevity. If JJ Watt wasn't lifting crap to impress folks on instagram and the Superhuman recovery time bs, he likely doesn't sacrifice his season, each of which are very expensive. Basically the unstated message here is that if Cunningham "loved football more" he'd have added 20 lbs of bulk (by any means necessary) and gone to Bama, but this guy chose a different route and absolutely stood out on a team that was getting crushed and his motor still never stopped. Dude needs to stop skipping leg days, but having someone to cover TEs & RBs is absolutely critical to our success and I think he impacts 2017 much more than anticipated as a key passing down component and replacing Simon's role which was underappreciated (another questionable non signing along with Bouye).

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
OzzyTexan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start by saying he has chosen to wear his college number of 41.. Linebackers playing in the 40's are gross in my opinion. Hopefully though he can overcome his number and become a solid player for us. He was solid value in the second round with many thinking he would go earlier. He led the SEC in tackles and missed tackles. He needs to get bigger and stronger but has potential to be a solid 3 down backer. The Texans are keeping Cushing another year so Cunningham will not have to start this year but should be able to contribute on 3rd downs and on special teams as a rookie.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes too many plays to be upset. Wanted Antonio Garcia here tho. Just doesn't show up with the POP that I like a 2nd round linebacker to come wit. Probably purely aesthetic fooey. Guys like this are becoming increasingly valuable. I say special teams maven from day 1, and eventually playing on 50%+ of defensive snaps THIS YEAR.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this pick and had him at #25 in several mocks I did a few months ago. He's got length, speed, and coverage ability... He'll eventually take Cushings spot at SILB but it looks like the Texans will start him out at WOLB since there's need at the position and Cunningham can play inside or outside. We probably won't see his real value til 2018.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: