Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Second Round Selection (#53)- Teez Tabor, CB, Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
Mayhem50 wrote:
Watch an interview with Grover Quin last night on Fox 2. He said way to much stock is put into 40 times. He ran a 4.50 at his combine, but stated he is around 5.00 now. It's not about how fast you can cover a space, it's how you play & control that space. Quin likes what he's seen on Tabor & thinks his feel & timing will be a big asset. A lot of people on here think the 40 is the true measure of a player.... So I quess we should have never picked up Quin! His 40 is way to slow & he'll never contribute.

4.50 is very acceptable for the 40, it isn't elite, but it is perfectly within the acceptable limits for the position and if as he says, he now runs a 5.0, he'll be out of the league pretty soon, but I doubt he would tell the league he is currently that slow, more likely it was a smokescreen, hoping opponents would believe him.

Tabor's 40 time is not even close to being acceptable, it isn't even fast enough to play Safety in the NFL, nevermind CB.

While Tabor is on the field, we can never play man to man coverage. QB's will come at him in man defense every time they get even a whiff that it is the defense we have called. For any WR who runs in the 4.30's or 4.40's, he would be 6 to 9 feet behind the receiver on a fly pattern or any deep route. I do not care how good he is at positioning himself or how quick he is or how he uses his hands, some WR's are going to beat him on deep patterns every game by a mile, they have real speed and football speed as well.

You can play him in zone coverage period, but he will never see the field on man to man coverage and for a 2nd round pick, that is unacceptable.
you still dont get it. That 6 to 9 feet garbage isnt real, so stop talking about it like it means anything. He was faster on the field than his 40 time and the corner isnt lining up right next to the wide receiver. They arent just sprinting next to each other every play, and even if that were the case, a WR still wouldn't be that much faster than him because he ran the 40 injured. The Lions run a lot of off man coverage, which is a coverage Tabor is pretty good at. The majority of the time, the Lions corners have safety help. So, even if he were as slow as you want him to be, a safety would be in position to help on a deep ball by the time the WR has time to run 40 yards.

Quote:

Have you ever watched a group of runner matched together on film at the Combine. 10ths of a second is easily 2 or 3 feet and Tabor ran a lot slower than that and I never read or heard that Tabor ran injured( if I am wrong on that point I apologize). Football speed does not count for a whole lot in the NFL, most of the elite runners have football speed as well and remain simply faster than a CB who relies on it entirely.

As for Safety help, yes, teams will try to provide Safety help if possible, but that is not always the case. If teams send out 4 or 5 receivers on a pass play, man coverage is just that, man to man with no Safety help.

I said he would be fine in zone coverage, but teams like to mix up coverages in today's game and IMO, he will always be a serious liability in man coverage and hence, I do not think he was a prospect worth drafting in round 2. I hope I am wrong and you are right, but it makes me very nervous.

Also, Glover Quin is smokescreening anybody, he's just being honest. He's slower now than he was when he was younger, that's how speed works. Once you get past age ~25 speed begins to decline. He's older than 25, his speed has declined. That's pretty simple and not a secret. He probably doesn't run as slow as 5.0, but he also probably hasn't ran a 40 since making the NFL because it isnt important.

I agree, I doubt he has run a 40 since the Combine and probably knows he has lost a step, but I doubt he is being truthful about his 40 time and announcing it to the whole league. No way he would truthfully do that ??
It doesn't matter. Teams know he's fast enough to be a very good safety, nobody is going to be concerned with how fast he runs in shorts away from the field.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmudd wrote:
I tried finding it any one know his splits alot of plays happen within 15 yards

I have mono you [inappropriate/removed]
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the overall picture is worse than just the 40. He's just not a very athletic guy. This is a big time boom or bust. All the talent in the world, but one of the least athletic corners we've seen since 2009.

I have mono you [inappropriate/removed]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: